Let's talk about being robust.

General SS13 Chat
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Let's talk about being robust.

Post by kayozz » #675098

What is robustness?
Is it being able to out-slip the clown? Disarm a sec guard when you're wanted whilst you flush them down disposals and laugh heartily on comms? Outsmart the AI with logic? Predicting and planning for 'incidents' that may disrupt your nefarious experiments, subtly luring someone into your trap?

I guess it falls under lots of spheres. Physical combat, planning, fast-thinking, experience and general knowledge, subterfuge, deep knowledge of a particular role, station knowledge etc...

But what does being robust mean to you?
What's the most robust thing you've ever seen or done?
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: Let's talk about being robust.

Post by Fikou » #675154

your ability to manage resources and plan in an emergency situation, as well as quick thinking and good "clicking skill" in fights
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #675174

Depends what you mean, there's plenty of things that fall under different categories that people would consider robust.

Like you said sometimes its good planning and general knowledge as well as "click skill" but really it can just come down to making the right decision in the moment. There are people who 1v5 who aren't even necessarily skilled in any kind of game sense they just picked the correct equipment that gives them multiple chances to get out of being disabled compared to their opponent.

I think it's difficult to really quantify player skill in this game since honestly clicking skill peaks out at a certain point where you only improve marginally being better at it, and then it's mostly how you prepared for the fight or the decisions you make in the fight that actually affect the outcome.

Skill in this game almost seems to be quantified by how much people talk about stories of what that person did rather than if they're actually skilled or not in my experience as well. Talking about being skilled in this game is almost like talking about being skilled in dungeons and dragons imo lol, unless you mean like PVEing megafauna or something.
retired ss13 coderman
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #675175

The key to being robust is making your opponents sprite horizontal before they make your sprite horizontal

The most robust thing I've done was steal a traitor's remote signalling device and detonate their bomb thinking it was on them, I blew up medbay and got banned for 3 days

AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #675179

kayozz wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:11 pmWhat's the most robust thing you've ever seen or done?
I had fallen for a dastardly trap. Teleported via bluespace launchpad (when they were much more unfair to the victim) into a teleporter trap that sent me to the Abandoned Teleporter. There, I saw two things. Dean Ivanov. Alive and well. 4 other people. Neither alive nor well. While waiting for another person to arrive Dean told me how in the course of his usual maintenance amoeba antics that he too found himself caught by this trap. However, the circumstances of his arrival were far different from mine. I arrived and the room was cold, but pressurized. Survivable. When Dean arrived, the people before him had all perished. In short order he pulled out his RCD, sealed the room, and then pressurized it with a nearby worldspawned airtank.

Easily one of the most robust displays I can recall off hand.

(It should go without saying, but the materials to reconstruct the teleporter were removed by the trap-maker)
Unsane
Byond Username: RiceRicebbb

Post by Unsane » #675189

for me being robust is having a good survivability skill and using the resources you have to get out of dangerous moments alive (such as a burning workplace)
Shy Hime, a mime main and crazy ong fr :3 crazy CRAZY uwaa, gayest boy on Liyue
ImageImage
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #675244

being robust is about using your gamer skill to make a better story for the round and it may involve you dying
yobihodazine2
Byond Username: Yobihodazine

Post by yobihodazine2 » #675299

Being robust means you are resourceful, quick witted, not afraid to RP a bit, but you still fuckin win. Don't ever let anyone peer pressure you into thinking winning ain't cool. Lmao.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #675313

robustness is survival

does anybody call someone robust for beheading half the crew with a desword? maybe, maybe not.

does anybody call someone robust for catching the scientist's maxcap and tossing it back at them? absolutely.

stereo's dean ivanov example is the perfect representation of this. the man isnt scary because he can kill you, he is scary because almost nothing you do will be able to kill him.
Weston Echard on Sybil
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #681174

robustness is a measure of mechanical skill and how well you apply gamesense to it