Hello!!! i’m a new player I need help

General SS13 Chat
internetspider
Byond Username: Internetspider

Hello!!! i’m a new player I need help

Post by internetspider » #688560

My boyfriend got me into this game and it’s fun but I have no idea what I’m doing. I wanna make him proud. Tell me things that I need to know about the game or community. Please I am terrible at roleplaying I need guidance
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Hello!!! i’m a new player I need help

Post by BeeSting12 » #688561

Remember, you're here forever.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
AyamePup
Byond Username: AyamePup

Post by AyamePup » #688569

Welcome to TG! This game has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get the basics the rest come pretty easily.

To start: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Starter_guide and https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
(The rules are a lot, but it just boils down to 'play in good faith and adhere to the rules best you can.' Make a mistake and an admin bwoinks (a term for an admin private message- it plays a loud 'bwoink' sound,) you? Its not a death sentence. We're nice. I promise.)

This is a good start, but nothing beats just tossing yourself in game as an assistant or janitor and learning by trial by fire.

A few general rules that might help-
If you have a question pertaining to the round- ie you got murdered, you rolled antag, etc, AHELP YOUR QUESTIONS. DO NOT ASK IN OOC. People love helping! Admins also love helping! I promise you are not bothering them. Asking in ooc is a loaded gun, because revealing in round info in ooc chat is against the rules, and one I see new players accidentally break a lot. Just something to keep in mind!

In that line of thought- ask people icly (in character) for help! 9/10 people adore and fawn over new players who are genuinely there to learn. Shit is REALLY confusing at first. Ask questions! Strike up conversations! Interacting with others is most of the fun here.

AS FOR ROLEPLAY-
You see the best way to get good at rp is to create a little guy and get WAY too invested in them. Make a story for the silly pixel person. Put yourself in the shoes of your character- why are they here? What job do they want? How would they react to things around them? There are emotes, but if you envision your character doing something that cant be expressed by those- use the /me command to write it out! Like all forms of writing, rp is a skill that takes practice. And it helps to look at those around you for ideas and guidance. See an interesting character? Interact! Ask questions!
Of course- there will be rounds where rp takes a back seat to gameplay, or another player doesnt take the hook to rp. And that can be very disappointing! But don't be discouraged.

Lastly- you mentioned your boyfriend got you into the game. You can play with each other! As long as you're not in the same room and talking about in game events irl, (we call this metacomming, kind of in the same boat as 'dont share in round information in ooc' thing,) he can absolutely teach you the basics.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your time in game!
yobihodazine2
Byond Username: Yobihodazine

Post by yobihodazine2 » #688682

Every job in this game just boils down to following steps to achieve a certain result. I wouldn't worry too much about things you don't know, just have fun.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #688701

Oh sweet thing, I could never fully apologize for the hell I have wrought upon you.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #688709

can you get into weird drama that spirals wildly involving your relationship so we can get a really juicy peanut and appeal

i feel like it's rare to have these opportunities
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #688711

go into your game preferences, keybindings, bind the emotes "flip", "spin", and "clap" all to spacebar. press it as much as you can.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Post by tinodrima7020 » #688716

imsxz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:18 am go into your game preferences, keybindings, bind the emotes "flip", "spin", and "clap" all to spacebar. press it as much as you can.
I thought they removed this wtf? I'm going to play /tg/ again?????
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #688882

The people here can be kind of ruthless at times in terms of "doing whatever they want even at the blatant expense and frustration of others" and you should be prepared for that but this usually changes if they are aware you are new and learning. Tell them you're new to the station and generally you'll have an easier time getting assistance. One thing I'd like to point out is that although OOC in IC normally isn't allowed, an exception is allowed where people can break character to explain game mechanics in say. So for example as long as you're explaining mechanics things liike "click this pipe" or "go to the preferences tab and click blahblahblah" or "drag this body on to you" are all acceptable. It's often much easier to do this to learn the game than to try and force yourself to stay in character by asking ICly, so don't feel afraid to do this when you must.
Featherfield
Byond Username: Featherfield

Post by Featherfield » #689091

pre-emptive ban for metagaming with boyfriend
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #689168

Welcome! The best roles to start of as are:

- cargo technician: No-one needs you and you've got the quartermaster who can help you out.
- Janitor. No-ones gonna be mad if you're not cleaning enough but you can work out the station layout.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #689210

Some people argue that prisoner is a good role to start with, since you can dip into a few different things, and are kind of insulated from the world, and nobody will expect anything from you.
Importantly also, it gets you immediately into the world of chaos and conflict endemic to ss13 still, but on a lighter note.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #689348

walk around and see what people are up to. don't be afraid to stick your nose in peoples business and play along with them
there are no stakes and the world resets every 30-90min so dont stifle yourself or worry about how to interact or what to say. just have fun and express yourself :D
Spoiler:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #689395

JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #689450

Don't be afraid to Ahelp as in open a ticket in game if you have a question about how something works and its not on the wiki, admins are happy to help out. :)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #689456

JusticeGoat wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:06 pm Don't be afraid to Ahelp as in open a ticket in game if you have a question about how something works and its not on the wiki, admins are happy to help out. :)
except for wubli

avoid ahelping her at all costs
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689717

BeeSting12 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:44 am Remember, you're here forever.
Ah, how very non-cultish. Thanks!!!
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689718

AyamePup wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:33 am Welcome to TG! This game has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get the basics the rest come pretty easily.

To start: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Starter_guide and https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
(The rules are a lot, but it just boils down to 'play in good faith and adhere to the rules best you can.' Make a mistake and an admin bwoinks (a term for an admin private message- it plays a loud 'bwoink' sound,) you? Its not a death sentence. We're nice. I promise.)

This is a good start, but nothing beats just tossing yourself in game as an assistant or janitor and learning by trial by fire.

A few general rules that might help-
If you have a question pertaining to the round- ie you got murdered, you rolled antag, etc, AHELP YOUR QUESTIONS. DO NOT ASK IN OOC. People love helping! Admins also love helping! I promise you are not bothering them. Asking in ooc is a loaded gun, because revealing in round info in ooc chat is against the rules, and one I see new players accidentally break a lot. Just something to keep in mind!

In that line of thought- ask people icly (in character) for help! 9/10 people adore and fawn over new players who are genuinely there to learn. Shit is REALLY confusing at first. Ask questions! Strike up conversations! Interacting with others is most of the fun here.

AS FOR ROLEPLAY-
You see the best way to get good at rp is to create a little guy and get WAY too invested in them. Make a story for the silly pixel person. Put yourself in the shoes of your character- why are they here? What job do they want? How would they react to things around them? There are emotes, but if you envision your character doing something that cant be expressed by those- use the /me command to write it out! Like all forms of writing, rp is a skill that takes practice. And it helps to look at those around you for ideas and guidance. See an interesting character? Interact! Ask questions!
Of course- there will be rounds where rp takes a back seat to gameplay, or another player doesnt take the hook to rp. And that can be very disappointing! But don't be discouraged.

Lastly- you mentioned your boyfriend got you into the game. You can play with each other! As long as you're not in the same room and talking about in game events irl, (we call this metacomming, kind of in the same boat as 'dont share in round information in ooc' thing,) he can absolutely teach you the basics.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your time in game!
This has so much valuable information! Thanks so much stranger. I appreciate all your advice. I will be keeping it very much in mind when I play next. I appreciate that a game as complex as this one has users that are beginner friendly :)
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689719

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:29 am walk around and see what people are up to. don't be afraid to stick your nose in peoples business and play along with them
there are no stakes and the world resets every 30-90min so dont stifle yourself or worry about how to interact or what to say. just have fun and express yourself :D
This is reassuring !!!!will do thanks very much. Lucky for me I am good at sticking my nose in people’s business already :D
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689720

Featherfield wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:08 pm pre-emptive ban for metagaming with boyfriend
NOOOO!!!!!

It’s ok I can just break up with him. Problem solved.
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689721

TypicalRig wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:27 am The people here can be kind of ruthless at times in terms of "doing whatever they want even at the blatant expense and frustration of others" and you should be prepared for that but this usually changes if they are aware you are new and learning. Tell them you're new to the station and generally you'll have an easier time getting assistance. One thing I'd like to point out is that although OOC in IC normally isn't allowed, an exception is allowed where people can break character to explain game mechanics in say. So for example as long as you're explaining mechanics things liike "click this pipe" or "go to the preferences tab and click blahblahblah" or "drag this body on to you" are all acceptable. It's often much easier to do this to learn the game than to try and force yourself to stay in character by asking ICly, so don't feel afraid to do this when you must.
I didn’t know this! Thnx for the info, I will be keeping that in mind. :)
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689722

massa wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:59 am can you get into weird drama that spirals wildly involving your relationship so we can get a really juicy peanut and appeal

i feel like it's rare to have these opportunities
I have no doubt in my mind that if he successfully gets me well into this game that this will happen
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689723

yobihodazine2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:04 pm Every job in this game just boils down to following steps to achieve a certain result. I wouldn't worry too much about things you don't know, just have fun.
Alright great. I consider myself to be capable of following steps. Thanks for advice !!
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689724

Bawhoppennn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:32 am Some people argue that prisoner is a good role to start with, since you can dip into a few different things, and are kind of insulated from the world, and nobody will expect anything from you.
Importantly also, it gets you immediately into the world of chaos and conflict endemic to ss13 still, but on a lighter note.
Will definitely be trying this. I do enjoy the chaos that I’ve seen so far.
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689725

JusticeGoat wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:06 pm Don't be afraid to Ahelp as in open a ticket in game if you have a question about how something works and its not on the wiki, admins are happy to help out. :)
OK!!! Thank you :)
internetspider

Post by internetspider » #689726

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 am Oh sweet thing, I could never fully apologize for the hell I have wrought upon you.
You have done me a great misdeed. Every day I descend further and further into the ring of hellfire that you have brought upon me. (Jk I’m having fun)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #689851

internetspider wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:36 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 am Oh sweet thing, I could never fully apologize for the hell I have wrought upon you.
You have done me a great misdeed. Every day I descend further and further into the ring of hellfire that you have brought upon me. (Jk I’m having fun)
You deserve it after last night but I love you anyways.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #689939

The best jobs are as Follows in this order

Science man - Blow up antags without any contest, only to get banned for murdering 10 people already validhunting them
Sec Officer - Arrest people and give them time and flex your big manny stun baton, only to get banned for not using your words or get owned by the grey gang for doing your job
Asssistant - Steal whatever you want, own sec and have no exceptions in life, only to get banned for killing that random sec because they caught your hand in the cookie jar trying to steal a stun baton from brig and gave you 2 mins or go ssd cuz they gave you 1 gulag point
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #689966

Follow Shellton's advice if you enjoy being banned and/or seen as a shitter.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #689999

why did you do this easy, we told you not to tell her the hells of this place.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #690136

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:52 pm Follow Shellton's advice if you enjoy being banned and/or seen as a shitter.
Thats goal is it not?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #690262

run

run now
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #690994

you should try asking willem dafriend for tutorials on the various ingame systems
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #691038

stairmaster wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:55 pm you should try asking willem dafriend for tutorials on the various ingame systems
who
respect (let him do his thing)
c4g
Byond Username: C4g

Post by c4g » #691108

kinnebian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:23 am
stairmaster wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:55 pm you should try asking willem dafriend for tutorials on the various ingame systems
who
officer doctor willem dafriend, my greatest ally
Flightless
Byond Username: Emuboi

Post by Flightless » #693336

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:28 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:52 pm Follow Shellton's advice if you enjoy being banned and/or seen as a shitter.
Thats goal is it not?
Its not.
Is immune to good ideas, hates both greytiders and security. Curator 4 life.
Shellton(Mario)

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #693537

Flightless wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:57 pm
Shellton(Mario) wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:28 pm
Thats goal is it not?
Its not.
:(