DO BLOBS HAVE A RANGED ATTACK OR NOT?

General SS13 Chat
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

DO BLOBS HAVE A RANGED ATTACK OR NOT?

Post by Oldman Robustin » #99063

Seriously I get 15 different goddamn answers to this everytime I ask in OOC.

Everytime I died to oldblob, I knew exactly what I had done wrong.

Last 4 deaths against newblob I could have 99% sworn I was 2+ tiles away or at least diagonal when I would get hit with the full force of a chem attack, either exploding me unconscious, filling me with morphine, or just plain burning me to death.

It got to the point that I assumed blobs had a way to hit people at range, but many people say that isn't the case, while a few others say that they have an ranged attack now.

Edit: AFTER GETTING REAL PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF (http://i.imgur.com/SgwEjRC.png) THAT BLOBS CAN HIT AT FULL STRENGTH FROM RANGE, I MADE A FEEDBACK POST POLITELY EXPRESSING MY FRUSTRATION: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3977
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: DO BLOBS HAVE A RANGED ATTACK OR NOT?

Post by Falamazeer » #99068

I ran into one last night that after a short delay would violently throw you across the room dealing massive damage to yourself and anyone in your way, That's kinda ranged.

But yeah, the blobbles that run out of the main mass seem to have a slight range, I figured it was intended behavior. So it didn't feel like fighting normal "mobs" like angry vending machines and such, who are easy to risk free kite and smack if you got full nutrition and health.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #99070

Sorium blobs are something of an extremely overpowered fringe case.

The spore cloud can just keep bouncing you around by throwing you deeper into the cloud, and the damage for hitting walls is buffed significantly.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #99073

From what I've been told it seems we've somehow turned Blob from a straightforward game mode into some kind of incomprehensible clusterfuck.

What was wrong with old blob anyway? It seems that in the pursuit to diversify blob we've detracted from the game mode.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #99075

Lucky me, I just got a screenshot of the bullshit in action.

Wearing a syndie space suit at full HP:

http://i.imgur.com/SgwEjRC.png

Was standing 2-3 tiles away, when the mini-blob hits me it just says "The blob hits you", yet I got two-shot by some stupid ranged fucking blob strikes that injected me with all the stupid fucking lethal chems.

The ghost represents where I was standing when the blob hit me.

Fuck that.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #99078

That's just oxyloss, you would have been fine
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #99083

Oh no I got attacked by a blob twice better ghost then post rage threads.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #99113

hey guys robustin is mad about something again
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #99182

Jeb wrote:Oh no I got attacked by a blob twice better ghost then post rage threads.
The point was that being dinked twice by the pansy miniblobs injected so much lethal toxin into him through a spacesuit that he died near-instantly. Stop being a fuckwit.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #99185

At range none the less
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #99186

Yes.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #99204

Blobs don't have a ranged attack, but being in the general area of a smoke cloud will probably kill you, and possibly everyone nearby if it's sorium.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #99208

Blobs are not ranged in the conventional sense. You must be directly adjacent to them in the 4 cardinal directions for them to be able to hit you, meanwhile you can hit them diagonally.

Blob spores can move around past the blob itself and are capable of injecting the blob's particular reagent into you through your armor. When killed, they release a spore cloud that will ONLY affect you if you walk right in the middle of that 3x3 cloud. This will again inject more chems into you, so just avoid walking there.

Blobbernauts no longer inject chem, they're merely tanky and do brute damage.

The major exception to all of this is the sorium and dark matter blob. The very act of applying its reagent on someone via trying to expand onto a tile with someone there, having a spore hit someone, or have someone walk in the middle of a spore cloud can launch everyone nearby, slamming them into walls and dealing a lot of brute.

There's a nerf PR currently being proposed that will make it so bio protection will play a role with whether chems are applied to you or not. Labcoats should provide about a 50% random chance of whether you are injected with a chem, while things like full biosuits and space suits will fully protect you.

Oxygen blobs are indeed overpowered as shit, but this will make them effectively harmless if you have a biosuit or space suit, as they'll have to rely on their very weak general 5 damage per hit.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #99240

WJohnston wrote:Blobs are not ranged in the conventional sense. You must be directly adjacent to them in the 4 cardinal directions for them to be able to hit you, meanwhile you can hit them diagonally.

Blob spores can move around past the blob itself and are capable of injecting the blob's particular reagent into you through your armor. When killed, they release a spore cloud that will ONLY affect you if you walk right in the middle of that 3x3 cloud. This will again inject more chems into you, so just avoid walking there.

Blobbernauts no longer inject chem, they're merely tanky and do brute damage.

The major exception to all of this is the sorium and dark matter blob. The very act of applying its reagent on someone via trying to expand onto a tile with someone there, having a spore hit someone, or have someone walk in the middle of a spore cloud can launch everyone nearby, slamming them into walls and dealing a lot of brute.

There's a nerf PR currently being proposed that will make it so bio protection will play a role with whether chems are applied to you or not. Labcoats should provide about a 50% random chance of whether you are injected with a chem, while things like full biosuits and space suits will fully protect you.

Oxygen blobs are indeed overpowered as shit, but this will make them effectively harmless if you have a biosuit or space suit, as they'll have to rely on their very weak general 5 damage per hit.
Thank you, this kind of shit should've been made more available but the fact blob needs a fucking encyclopedia to tell you the 200 ways it can fuck you sideways is just proof of how stupid its gotten.

I mean its worth pointing out that the stupid fucking smoke lasts about as long as it takes the blob factory to respawn the miniblob, you get scenarios where people are forced to use a 1x1 maint corridor to reach the blob but there's fucking death smoke fucking everyone who goes through it and if you wait for the smoke to pass then another miniblob is on its way with another deathsmoke package in tow. Meanwhile everyone assumed internals will keep them safe and they have no idea what "THE BLOB STRIKES YOU.." means when the blob is still several tiles away.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #99246

is it capable for you to post only 1 thread with your complaints

or do you need to make 2 all caps title threads

regardless, ranged blobs attack is a bug

and we're removing spores carrying chems
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #99248

iamgoofball wrote: and we're removing spores carrying chems
Not if the smoke fix makes it acceptable we're not.
私は完璧
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #99271

Yeah, the main issue is not so much the bite of the spore as the chemical effects of the smoke it leaves behind. That's been the case since chemblob started.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #99327

Oldman Robustin wrote: Thank you, this kind of shit should've been made more available but the fact blob needs a fucking encyclopedia to tell you the 200 ways it can fuck you sideways is just proof of how stupid its gotten.
The fact you are so mad you can't power game is concerning.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #99328

the problem isn't that blob mobs burst into chemsmoke, it's that chemsmoke doesn't make any checks to see if a person would logically not be in contact with it in a harmful way (ie: In an airtight suit with internals)
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #99617

MrStonedOne wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote: Thank you, this kind of shit should've been made more available but the fact blob needs a fucking encyclopedia to tell you the 200 ways it can fuck you sideways is just proof of how stupid its gotten.
The fact you are so mad you can't power game is concerning.
The fact you think this is about powergaming is the most concerning thing I've seen in these threads all week.

You're the fucking host, you should have your fingers on the pulse of this community. If you think "Hey I'm getting killed over and over and there's literally nobody, even admins, who can explain why" is me expressing my frustration about powergayman or that I'm still an avid powergaymer, just shows that you're exercising SoS-tier irrationality here.

It's the logic I would expect from OOC shitters, not the goddamn site admin, "lol oldmans mad it must because he cant powergame because thats all Oldman does is powergame am I right? Oldman sure is a powergamer huh? Classic oldman, always powergaming".

Throw in a 5 minute ban while I'm playing HoS because I asked in adminhelp for someone to turn down traitor weighting while we get macrobombed 4 rounds in a row, with the message "Stop whining over such little things".

I dont think there was a single person playing this afternoon that didn't whine about the giant shitshow that macrobombs were causing, yet contacting the admins with a simple request without me being offensive or rude and you ban the HoS?

This is the kind of shit that makes me lose hope for the future, not because things are doom and gloom and the server is ded, but because things will never improve as long as people like you sit on top and have these ridiculously narrow and misguided views about the game and the community that you oversee.

But yea, I'm mad because I can't powergame. You got me. I'm always powergaming because I'm Oldman Robustin and that's what I do - and it was totally cool of the site admin./server host to respond to a series of legitimate complaints with such a well-thought and sophisticated response.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #99638

The point he's trying to make is that the way it damages you is not at all obvious without understanding how the smoke code mechanics work.

So we dropped the ball there.