RP is at a dangerous low

General SS13 Chat
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: RP is at a dangerous low

Post by Cheimon » #127244

Bottom post of the previous page:

Is it worth pointing out that roleplay consistent with the setting doesn't have to mean restricted knowledge? Restricted knowledge can be one of the shittiest parts of RP (I can't worry about the flashing and thuds until it's too late, the cult is peaceful I'm sure, hur hur) but it's not necessary.

I think people are mostly talking about more engagement in conversation, willingness to go along with others, friendliness, sportsmanship, all that sort of stuff.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #127248

Cheimon wrote:Is it worth pointing out that roleplay consistent with the setting doesn't have to mean restricted knowledge? Restricted knowledge can be one of the shittiest parts of RP (I can't worry about the flashing and thuds until it's too late, the cult is peaceful I'm sure, hur hur) but it's not necessary.

I think people are mostly talking about more engagement in conversation, willingness to go along with others, friendliness, sportsmanship, all that sort of stuff.
Exactly. Validhunting is itself a form of RP. It's just a shitty form that few people like.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127266

today i was bwoiped by an admin because a guy shoved me down and dragged me to the front of an escape pod during a very chaotic and hectic round and started screaming cunt so I beat him up and spaced his body. apparently when attacked by a screaming lunatic I should just let him do whatever he wants because otherwise it's G R I E F I N G. Fuck my character having any agency and trying to survive, am i right?
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #127288

I once had a round where every head played along with an obvious traitor who was pretending to be the Central Command disk inspector.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #127300

Super Aggro Crag wrote:today i was bwoiped by an admin because a guy shoved me down and dragged me to the front of an escape pod during a very chaotic and hectic round and started screaming cunt so I beat him up and spaced his body. apparently when attacked by a screaming lunatic I should just let him do whatever he wants because otherwise it's G R I E F I N G. Fuck my character having any agency and trying to survive, am i right?
Why did you have to space them though? That is griefing. It's improper escalation.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127325

DaemonBomb wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:today i was bwoiped by an admin because a guy shoved me down and dragged me to the front of an escape pod during a very chaotic and hectic round and started screaming cunt so I beat him up and spaced his body. apparently when attacked by a screaming lunatic I should just let him do whatever he wants because otherwise it's G R I E F I N G. Fuck my character having any agency and trying to survive, am i right?
Why did you have to space them though? That is griefing. It's improper escalation.
He was a dead corpse of a man who tried to space me. That's perfectly reciprocal. I was just better at it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #127335

Roleplay consistent with the setting doesn't have to mean restricted knowledge but without restricting knowledge, more attempts at a dictionary definition of RP will get very silly and cause lots of accusations of powergaming fast, without heavy doses of sportmanship to moderate it.

Well you weren't banned for it SAC and the note didn't mention poor escalation either. Admins just have to bwoink people to find out what happened.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127350

ah i see thank you
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #127389

Raven776 wrote:I once had a round where every head played along with an obvious traitor who was pretending to be the Central Command disk inspector.
We once had a round where I, as the Head of Personnel, showed a "Centcom official" around the station, encountering shenanigans along the way.

It was a traitor out for the captain's spare jumpsuit, and by jove, he got it. But he spoke, we roleplayed, every interaction we had with people was fun... it was a great time.
Spoiler:
That was so long ago that we still had metroids.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
bandit

Post by bandit » #127394

There's another thing that's bugging me. People in this thread are seriously, with all earnestness, arguing that shouting "HELP!" isn't roleplay. That roleplaying a character who is in mortal danger involves just smiling and nodding and accepting whatever happens to them like a stoic lobotomized vegetable so that the antag can get their kill without interference. That's just fucking bullshit, and if you disagree, I invite you to encounter a shooter or any other form of danger in real life and see how you react.

tl;dr: the word "RP" has become as much of a meme as "powergaming" or "metagaming," in that people stretch the term to suit whatever it is they don't like.

admin feedback pls
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127407

shouting help is perfectly valid, what the heck are you talking about bandito?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #127435

I mean it's not like we're specifically allowed to know everything about every antagonist that may ever attack the station or anything.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #127479

Zilenan91 wrote:I mean it's not like we're specifically allowed to know everything about every antagonist that may ever attack the station or anything.
Oddly enough, once upon a time, we weren't supposed to.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
bandit

Post by bandit » #127484

No, I am specifically referring to shit like:
Hell I sometimes try to RP in that situation if it's a stunprod into an armblade or something where I just go ";Gah!" or something to do with the situation that isn't just ";help Griff Murderbone dorms killing me"
Or from another thread:
When people say "Darn" when I pull a revolver on them instead of ";HALP"
Again, I invite you to have a gun pulled on you and see what your reaction is. Then ask yourself: "how would the average worker on a space station, who is not MANLY MCROBUST AIN'T SCARED OF NUFFIN," react?

admin feedback pls
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #127486

bandit wrote:Again, I invite you to have a gun pulled on you and see what your reaction is. Then ask yourself: "how would the average worker on a space station, who is not MANLY MCROBUST AIN'T SCARED OF NUFFIN," react?
"OH GOD! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! I HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS BACK HOME!"
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #127503

TheNightingale wrote:
bandit wrote:Again, I invite you to have a gun pulled on you and see what your reaction is. Then ask yourself: "how would the average worker on a space station, who is not MANLY MCROBUST AIN'T SCARED OF NUFFIN," react?
"OH GOD! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! I HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS BACK HOME!"
That's definitely a reasonable response.

But I would say that "average" on Space Station 13 is going to be different from our normal standards. Cloning technology is a thing (with no fixed canon on how widespread it is), so death is less permanent (which has got to be huge). Most crew seem to have a basic grounding in self defence (disarm skills in particular, you can't just flail at someone and expect them to drop what they're holding). Also, these are people who have volunteered (probably - nanotrasen is a company and not some fascist state, though again no fixed canon on how harsh they are) to go on a cutting edge space station quite a while from help which is a regular target for all sorts of enemies. The gun's not going to come as a complete surprise.

Plus, since the syndicate are notoriously poor shots, you're probably better off running. It's not as though they can train the gun on you and then pull the trigger if you move a muscle. Hell, if you run fast enough you can probably get them to miss and make good your escape.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #127507

I'm not asking for well thought out and detailed RP, just less mute assistants making stun prods round start so they can immediately valid anything they hear over comms.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #127516

if i wanted to play real life job simulator I'd go to work
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #127518

"i got scanned in the autocloner and have already died three times today, pull the trigger faggot i dare you"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #127523

I'd take my already bloodied fire extinguisher out and beat him to death

The validhunting life chose me
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz