Little things you learned that are game changing

General SS13 Chat
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Little things you learned that are game changing

Post by Pandarsenic » #2823

Bottom post of the previous page:

Disassembling an R-window only requires you to screwdrive it off the floor.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Killerz104

Post by Killerz104 » #3428

The limit to the name of a feed channel is stupidly high.

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #3436

fuck when will people stop testing word limits for the various text inputs in ss13 with wgw
Pandarsenic wrote:Disassembling an R-window only requires you to screwdrive it off the floor.
This is a bug and hasn't always been the case.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #3446

paprika wrote:fuck when will people stop testing word limits for the various text inputs in ss13 with wgw
wgw is /tg/station's lorem ipsum
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #3478

Jeb wrote:
paprika wrote:fuck when will people stop testing word limits for the various text inputs in ss13 with wgw
wgw is /tg/station's lorem ipsum
Lube ipsum cherry sit amet
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #3502

The sleepers in medbay will show any reagent in the patients body, not just the chemicals you can inject them with. A surprising amount of people don't know this.

Anti-toxin will not only heal poison damage, it will also actively remove certain reagents like Sleep Toxin or Plasma from the body.

You can "defuse" ticking syndicate bombs by blowing them up with smaller bombs. Minibombs are the best method to do this.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #3549

Huh, that's actually kind of handy.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #4807

The chaplain is your best friend in a blob round. If his bible isn't dispensing brain damage then he can easily heal people out of crit and back to damn near full health with a couple good whacks.
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #4815

Chaplains can't cause brain damage if you're wearing a helmet.

Cardborg hats count as helmets.

INFINITE HEALING
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #4816

Any headgear removes the drainbamage from the bible, including papers. A proactive chaplain with a MEDHUD and a bible full of papers can heal infinitely at no cost.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4857

Apparently cardboard helmets block facehuggers.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #4880

ShadowDimentio wrote:Any headgear removes the drainbamage from the bible, including papers. A proactive chaplain with a MEDHUD and a bible full of papers can heal infinitely at no cost.
Don't spread false information please.

Code: Select all

if(ishuman(M) && !istype(M:head, /obj/item/clothing/head/helmet))
That includes security helmets, spaceproof helmets, lazertag helmets, captain's cap, but not papers, not caps and hats, not hardhats, and not cardboard helmets.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #4882

any headgear prevents getting knocked unconscious though doesnt it

or did they change that
you're gonna carry that weight
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #5027

The bars of soap are the best cleaning implement on the station. They do not run out of ammo like spray bottles do. They do not have a delay before the cleaning is applied like mops do. They can get those hard to reach places (like that vomit under the surgery table) that cleaning grenades can't. You can run down a hallway and just spam clicks at the tile in front of you to clean an entire hall in under five seconds.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #5058

and they can clean dirt now too, which they used to not be able to, which was their one drawback
soap masterrace
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #5071

miggles wrote:and they can clean dirt now too, which they used to not be able to, which was their one drawback
soap masterrace
And on top of it all it's still an excellent slipper. It's totally versatile.

I recently learned that you can move all the equipment in xenobio so you barely have to leave the slime pens to process monkeys and dead goo. That was such a timesaver. I was running the whole way back every time.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #5581

The staff of change works on AIs.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #6226

Today I learned the origin of the lobby title theme.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6232

As space ninja you should go straight to R&D and print four super-capacity cells.

Click one on your ninja suit for 200% power, then carry one and pocket the other two. Activate them in your hand to go backto full charge in a few seconds. Return to R&D when you need to recharge.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #6237

Or if RnD is useless and you want immedient access to more power, stop by Tech Storage or Engineering and nab the High Capacity Power Cells. Increases your power to 150 from 100 and you can fill your backpack full of them.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #6315

As I learned being a ninja tasked with killing a comdom captain by PI, infinite capacity power cells aren't actually infinite for ninjas. They're just 40k cells.

I blame spaghetti code.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #6319

Thats because they are coded in a way that's not infinite charge capacity, but never looses a charge (normally anyway).
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #6334

There is a flag called INFINITE, which just means it's a very, very big number (also you got fun things that do nothing meaningful like SPEED_OF_LIGHT and even a e=mc2 proc)

The inf capacity cell doesn't use that. It just never goes down, but I suspect the ninja suit doesn't actually 'use' the cell, just set it's max charge variable to match it.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Cavoglave
Byond Username: Cavoglave

Post by Cavoglave » #6405

If you're an assistant or any other non-engineer that has insulated gloves, it's a good idea to keep them in your pocket until you actually need to use them.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6406

That seems contrary to the mentality that any door could be shocked because all AIs are rogue and evil, just waiting to go delta.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Cavoglave
Byond Username: Cavoglave

Post by Cavoglave » #6407

Neerti wrote:That seems contrary to the mentality that any door could be shocked because all AIs are rogue and evil, just waiting to go delta.
It's at least consistent with the mentality that security officers are bigoted and that other assistants would do anything they can to take them from you.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #6423

When the fuck is that limited ammo soap nerf coming through already
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6424

They search pockets anyways so... you're kinda boned one way or the other.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6433

Cavoglave wrote:If you're an assistant or any other non-engineer that has insulated gloves, it's a good idea to keep them in your pocket until you actually need to use them.
Here's what you do.

DYE YOUR GLOVES
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6454

I like to keep a mask, shaved, insulated gloves and maybe a silly hat in my pack.

Whenever I commit any crime, I put it all on and do it as unknown. The moment security loses sight of me, I strip it all off and put on a friendly breathing mask, then walk the other way.

Eventually someone calls me out by my black hair, so I can shave it off.

I love the chase.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6461

Stickymayhem wrote:I like to keep a mask, shaved, insulated gloves and maybe a silly hat in my pack.

Whenever I commit any crime, I put it all on and do it as unknown. The moment security loses sight of me, I strip it all off and put on a friendly breathing mask, then walk the other way.

Eventually someone calls me out by my black hair, so I can shave it off.

I love the chase.
Whenever I go on a crime spree, I like to use dyed gloves and make a huge mess of whatever I break into - Throw shit everywhere, pry up half the floor tiles and throw them onto desk or the non-pried floor. Take all the paper out of the paper box, throw everything in the lockers everywhere, displace every item, move the chair if it's a rolly one. I'd take a shit on the floor if I could. Gotta get those unique glove fibers all over everything, maybe even leave a stamped paper as a calling card.

Hah hah! You have been thieved by the PURPLE GLOVED BANDIT!
Jam

Post by Jam » #7391

The Bartender's damp rag can be used to smother people. Better yet, you can soak it with any chemical, and it will transfer it into the guy you're smothering. Any chemical. Neurotoxin for twenty seconds of stun that you can't shake someone up from, Plasma for massive toxin damage, Carpotoxin for oldchloral, all three for ggnore.

When mining alone, it's better to take the resonator. The gun doesn't do as much damage, is harder to use, and requires that you be right next to your target constantly, increasing the risk that you'll be stunned, pulverized, and your body guarded so you won't get back into the game. With the resonator, you can stand four or five tiles away at all times, wait for the tentacle attack, dodge it, move in, place a field(or two, if you feel robust), and move back out with a low risk of harm, and no risk of being stunned.

As AI, it is not your job to catch all the traitors.
Spoiler:
There was something else, but I forgot it.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #7402

Minebots are great at distracting targets. You just walk near and bash them with your drill (targets, not bots). They can take quite a beating, but goliaths can take them down pretty quickly if you're not quick enough.

Plus they collect all the crap gibtonite left.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #7552

Jam wrote:The Bartender's damp rag can be used to smother people. Better yet, you can soak it with any chemical, and it will transfer it into the guy you're smothering. Any chemical. Neurotoxin for twenty seconds of stun that you can't shake someone up from, Plasma for massive toxin damage, Carpotoxin for oldchloral, all three for ggnore.
it only holds 5 reagents and i think may be bugged, so it's not that useful
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #7560

If you are infected with a Xeno babby, and are welded into a locked, when the babby bursts it's also welded into the locker.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #7732

Comrade Leo wrote:If you are infected with a Xeno babby, and are welded into a locked, when the babby bursts it's also welded into the locker.
you can actually manufacture xeno babby antibodies

one round i had xeno babby antibodies for no reason and kept getting raped but nothing happenb
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #7811

You can actually stun and cuff larvas. This will prevent them from evolving and you can pull them around to have them not escape. They can't even enter vents this way.
Jam

Post by Jam » #7820

Finally remembered what it was.

Disablers are mostly terrible. They deal 34 holodamage, take three hits to do anything more than slowdown, and can be reflected.

However, they paralyze hulks, so they can safely be dehulked, they knock out wizards, so they can't cast anything, and if someone has been knocked out by it, they are down for however long it takes for them to sleep off the holodamage, no shaking them back up.
Edit: Got the holodamage number wrong.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #7830

Kraso wrote:You can actually stun and cuff larvas. This will prevent them from evolving and you can pull them around to have them not escape. They can't even enter vents this way.
if you handcuff someone in space, just dont fucking handcuff someone in space

dragging someone in space is broken, if they are handcuffed in space they are basically disabled forever

protip to EZ murder, stun people, handcuff then drag to space because you cant move in space while cuffed
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #7843

Jam wrote:Finally remembered what it was.

Disablers are mostly terrible. They deal 34 holodamage, take three hits to do anything more than slowdown, and can be reflected.

However, they paralyze hulks, so they can safely be dehulked, they knock out wizards, so they can't cast anything, and if someone has been knocked out by it, they are down for however long it takes for them to sleep off the holodamage, no shaking them back up.
Edit: Got the holodamage number wrong.
Don't knock disablers, in the right hands, they are quite powerful, but, a situational tool, I always like to keep one on me when I play security, they may need a few shots to down someone, but they carry a lot of shots, and the slowdown they cause can help chase a suspect down

I need to test at some point if they work against xenos however

Also, I'm pretty sure they ignore armor, which is quite nice
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7856

Yeah - Disablers are nice to have as a sidearm, or if you want to pass out guns. They get twenty shots.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7900

Disablers were the suggested replacement for tasers as sec and I think since they're a sidegrade to tasers they should be more readily available. I wouldn't bat an eye if an assistant had a disabler for self defense because I know I could drop him with my taser if he tried to take on security with it.

Do the disabler 'lasers' go through windows and doors?
Jam

Post by Jam » #7967

paprika wrote:Do the disabler 'lasers' go through windows and doors?
Unfortunately, no.

/obj/item/projectile/energy/disabler
name = "disabler beam"
icon_state = "omnilaser"
damage = 34
damage_type = STAMINA
var/range = 7
Spoiler:
What does a disabler fire, anyways? A wave of radiation?
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #7970

Spoiler:
disabling neutrinos, the answer is always neutrinos
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #8060

Jam wrote:
paprika wrote:Do the disabler 'lasers' go through windows and doors?
Unfortunately, no.

/obj/item/projectile/energy/disabler
name = "disabler beam"
icon_state = "omnilaser"
damage = 34
damage_type = STAMINA
var/range = 7
What does a disabler fire, anyways? A wave of radiation?
The same thing a hologram e-sword does.
ExplosiveCrate wrote:
Spoiler:
disabling neutrinos, the answer is always neutrinos
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #8124

As a borg, and presumably as an alien larva as well (haven't tested this) you can remove buckles, cuffs, and so on simply by typing 'resist'. The fact a button isn't there doesn't mean the option isn't available.

Next time someone scores a petty victory like that, let them think they've won, then after they've left quickly release yourself!

Oh, and as roboticist, you can augment any body part with any cyborg body part. That means if you don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of metal on people, you can augment everything they've got with a stack of arms. They're also quicker to produce than torsos or heads, and the surplus can be used to make bots.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8161

I just woke up from a half-lucid dream that I was an admin, and I spawned a lot of xenos and took pictures of the secret hidden admin conspiracy forum. I think I might have a problem.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8172

Me and you are going to be like jordie and anton, dream team duo of trialmins.

Or we can be bluespace and nerolat, with you being nerolat.
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #8249

the filing cabinet in the vault counts as a security console (and, as far as I could tell, it doesn't need ID).

Much fun was had that round.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #8360

Showers (on cold) work just as well as cyro, aslong as you have the drugs in your system.
Doorbell systems are fun.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #8393

AseaHeru wrote: Doorbell systems are fun.
What's a doorbell system?