Test proposal thread

General SS13 Chat
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Test proposal thread

Post by Grazyn » #163961

Since we're doing all sort of zany tests now, this is the thread where you can propose a test. I'll start

No security
No stuns (may be limited to stun weapons removal, or including slips)
No bombs
Space/fire dealing double damage
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Test proposal thread

Post by Bawhoppennn » #163963

Space being instant death would be better
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #163964

How about making a test where security are all given energy guns at round start.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
ClumsyAlcoholic
Byond Username: ClumsyAlcoholic

Post by ClumsyAlcoholic » #163971

No security would be fun
MOSIN BOY HERE
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #163974

Giving assistants service radio.
Higher extended probability.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #163981

don't turn this into shitty suggestion or minor ideas thread, this is strictly for test suggestions (i.e. removing features or tweaking values)
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #164018

No lizards on basil
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #164029

removing hg for eternity
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #164031

We basically had no bombs for a few months when fastmos was first introduced iirc, it was bizarre going from the station getting maxcapped 6 times per shift and then suddenly no one ever bombed anything anymore. Thankfully not many people started bombing again, it's better this way
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164032

Yeah back then there was guides to making the biggest bombs in that atmos sytem, and once it changed people couldn't just step-by-step follow a guide so they didn't do it anymore.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164040

Jeb wrote:removing hg for eternity
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164041

How about a test where everyone is a lizard for a week to see what happens
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164042

this is my original character bob franks he's a lizard who thinks hes a human I hope you like him xD
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #164044

I would like to test having shadowDimentio forum banned and permabanned from the server and seeing if the overall happiness of the server increases and the cancer decreases
It's only a test, not permanent.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #164045

NikNakFlak wrote:I would like to test having shadowDimentio forum banned and permabanned from the server and seeing if the overall happiness of the server increases and the cancer decreases
It's only a test, not permanent.
Only if there is no established end time
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #164057

remove all security jobs except HoS, rename his job title to loot pinata, everyone on the station spawns with an energy gun for self defence and to persecute crimes that happen to them personally
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #164058

Zellion wrote:remove all security jobs except HoS, rename his job title to loot pinata, everyone on the station spawns with an energy gun for self defence and to persecute crimes that happen to them personally
We already have that it's called the 4th of July
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Venticular
Byond Username: Venticuiliar

Post by Venticular » #164059

Zellion wrote:remove all security jobs except HoS, rename his job title to loot pinata, everyone on the station spawns with an energy gun for self defence and to persecute crimes that happen to them personally
Actually this is an interesting "event" idea, but not a week long test
My characters are Frank Lowe and Mel Cousins. I also play as CORION OS, the AI and Brainstorm the borg.
"I don't fail at much, but caring is one of them" -some guy

I'm actually back now bitches!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #164068

I think the bare minimum effort for idea proposals should at least be an explanation of why you think it's a good idea (what the hell is all lizard crew supposed to achieve?). That or limit these tests to certain days of the week, or space them out or something.

People are going to very quickly get sick of it if some random part of the game is missing or nonfunctional for no reason every time they log in.

EDIT: To be clear though I am a big fan of testing in general and think people completely overreacted to the comms thing, I'm just worried this has the potential to go entirely off the rails
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164069

A completely lizard crew (combined with the AI still being on Asimov) would be an interesting test because it would let us see how the psychology of race wars/other memeticism like that really comes to be. It'll also let us see if people grief others purely because they're lizards, or if they will stop due to being lizards themselves.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #164071

About the AI, some test involving lawsets like no asimov/asimov only would be interesting too
Dawgas
Byond Username: Dawgas

Post by Dawgas » #164072

god lets just have a test proposal subforum at this point holy shit
remove conversion based antags and entirely RNG based game mechanics 2010 and every year after that forever and ever amen
its disgusting when you find out when you're consistently right all along and nobody listens
Spoiler:
post 66444, singulo.io /tg/ board, probably deleted by the poster like a bitch:

You're the guy who was the reason we had to add a specific rule to the rules that you can't suicide when you're converted, because you'd do it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You followed around people you liked constantly, every single round you'd be stalking someone. God forbid anyone try to become them, because you'd every few minutes show up and interrogate them to make sure it's actually them.

You're the guy who murderbonered half the station during a cult round as a nonantag because you don't like cult. When most of the cultists were already dead.

You're the guy who thinks himself really edgy, your roundstart activities always involved stealing tools, grabbing a gas mask, and running around maint looking for bodies, in between bouts of running to your friends to ensure they're okay.

You are the worst kind of person, and I wish you'd go back to not playing.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164079

Zilenan91 wrote:A completely lizard crew (combined with the AI still being on Asimov) would be an interesting test because it would let us see how the psychology of race wars/other memeticism like that really comes to be. It'll also let us see if people grief others purely because they're lizards, or if they will stop due to being lizards themselves.
Better achieved by randomising human/lizard race selection on join.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #164115

Zilenan91 wrote:A completely lizard crew (combined with the AI still being on Asimov) would be an interesting test because it would let us see how the psychology of race wars/other memeticism like that really comes to be. It'll also let us see if people grief others purely because they're lizards, or if they will stop due to being lizards themselves.
To be honest I think you already have the long-term results in the situation of the game previous to lizards. Before lizards, around the time Trayvon Martin was shot I think, there was a distinct subset of players that would roleplay black characters as their own group and try to start racial conflict. Meanwhile, there was a distinct subset that would roleplay non-black racist characters. It was bizarre, offensive, and not all that fun. Lizards aren't the cause of space racism, they just make it actually fit in the setting.

You probably wouldn't get blueskin/yellowskin divides in the time a test took place, though. This stuff takes time to develop.

Oh, before you jump on the word 'offensive', I wasn't saying it should be banned or anything like that. I can't see what we'd have lost by doing so (except for admins' time) but that wasn't my point.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164116

I wasn't really thinking that deeply into it I just wanted to see what would happen if everyone was a lizard for a week dude
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #164143

Zilenan91 wrote:I wasn't really thinking that deeply into it I just wanted to see what would happen if everyone was a lizard for a week dude
People who hate lizards would be greytide shitheads, or suicidd roundstart, or not play. People who don't really care would play as normal.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #164162

lizards are ok :pigman: :pigman: :pigman: :pigman:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #164163

If everyone is a lizard, nobody is. Random race as suggested would be better, a nice way for racists to realize how hard life is without human privilege
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164172

Grazyn wrote:If everyone is a lizard, nobody is. Random race as suggested would be better, a nice way for racists to realize how hard life is without human privilege
>not creating a monkey human clone of yourself
>not getting brain transplanted into the monkey human
>2556
>allowing yourself to be the inferior race
pls
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #164179

What sort of tests are we talking here? Minor changes ala slight tweaks to already existing systems? Or are we talking adding entirely new things?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #164203

A complete overhaul test would be something akin to essentially redoing the game, an example being making the entire crew consist of Lizard People, rename them to "The Race" and change all Antagonists to represent one of three Human factions (United States, Soviet Union or Nazi Germany) and pretending your basically in Harry Turtledoves 'Worldwar' universe.

Amusing but the end result being you just made everyone a Lizard and changed sprites, and you get to roleplay as a Nazi.

More subtle and easier tests would be things like...
  • Reducing Security to a single, very powerful, individual (ala Judge Dredd or Robocop), while giving Heads a Taser at round start. (Test how effective a single law enforcement officer is with the proper tools to compensate)
  • Reduce Oxygen on the station to run out within ten minutes of round start. (Test how the crew reacts to running out of breathable air, and how to replace the air or get more air cannisters or even if the crew fights over the few Air cannisters)
  • Remove all Heads of Staff (and their unique room contents) sans the Captain. (Test how each department will operate without a head in charge AND how Captains respond to being the only command figure on station).
  • Station loses all Power within five seconds of round start. (Tests crew's reaction to no power AND the competence of Engineering to establish power from a no-power state)
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164207

Actually that sounds really really interesting.

- The test where there's one super jacked security officer with tons of guns sounds like it'd be hella fun to play and see how players both roleplay as the officer and towards him, do they fear him, love him, etc.
- Everyone would just die after a while, with the shuttle being called instantly, we wouldn't learn anything
- That's most rounds already anyways, no departments need a Head of Staff to function
- Since power would instantly run out the shuttle would be instantly called due to there being no active comms consoles and every round would be 30 minutes long, so we wouldn't learn anything.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #164209

[youtube]2k0SmqbBIpQ[/youtube]

If we must do these, do them on Basil.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #164219

Well naturally any tests would disable anything that could prematurely end the round.

Also there's a difference between forcing the crew into a situation from round start versus something that MAY occur later on. More so on Oxygen and Power.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #164227

If we must do these, do them on Basil.
The point is to test things on a large population, specifically sybil's population. If they're just on basil, what's the point?
Reece

Post by Reece » #164228

Xenio spawns with an actual xeno egg at roundstart?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #164229

PLASMA STATION ALL ROOMS FILLED WITH PURE PLASMA FOR PROUD PLASMA MEN CREW!

All is not right though on plasma station 13 as the sinister OXYGENMENS want to destroy their freedom!
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #164230

Please, no more "Tests". Not one good thing has come of these things. Some of you would disagree of course, but so far, it is HG forcing his worst, most controversial ideas on everyone. All of you are going to be fine with it, until something you absolutely hate becomes permanent.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #164264

Gun Hog wrote:Please, no more "Tests". Not one good thing has come of these things. Some of you would disagree of course, but so far, it is HG forcing his worst, most controversial ideas on everyone. All of you are going to be fine with it, until something you absolutely hate becomes permanent.
Rather have them in and done than argue about it for three months until someone makes a pull request that gets closed and literally nothing comes from it.

If anything we've proven 5 things that are always brought up to be extremely bad ideas in record time. Plus, we never have to entertain them again because we've done it and proven how dumb it is.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #164266

Pretty much.

These tests are the best way to see how bad or good a idea is.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #164282

Can we limit these tests to a day or two instead of a week at least?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #164292

I guess 2 days should be the minimum for a test, maybe 1 if there's massive outcry
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #164310

Mandatory ERP for a week
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #164311

yes
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164333

Gun Hog wrote:Please, no more "Tests". Not one good thing has come of these things.
1. learned that removing the AI itself probably wasn't the best course of action towards tweaking it instead of removing it outright
2. proved once and for all how shit the "no common comms" idea was
3. killed off secborgs
>not one good thing
????????????

edit: oh oh and while im here
instead of proposing tests for le randum XD things you want in the game but are too pussyfooted to code (like xeno eggs roundstart, all lizards, other bullshit) we should limit tests to things that have already been proposed and discussed in detail (such as secborg/AI/common comms removal) so we can get final verdicts on said things. to be honest i'm not sure why we're doing the less human health test because i've never as much as seen that concept suggested outside of the actual test.
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #164337

Eh tests proposed as jokes have more merit than hate grudges on game features.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164338

Incomptinence wrote:Eh tests proposed as jokes have more merit than hate grudges on game features.
Spoiler:
Reece

Post by Reece » #164339

Kek.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #164342

How about testing giving sec lethals in place of tasers or other non lethal takedown tools
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #164358

I feel like these tests are more turning into a 'Wacky Change of the Week'.