Please put gang back in rotation

General SS13 Chat
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Please put gang back in rotation

Post by Screemonster » #270472

Bottom post of the previous page:

They need an endgame goal that isn't an instant lose-condition for the rest of the crew. One that pits them directly and explicitly against other gangs and not against unaffiliated crewmembers. Preventing the other gang leaders from escaping, for instance, or having the most influence at the end.

Hell, I'm almost tempted to say that with some adjustments to tone them down they might work as a side-antag that runs at the same time as other modes so the gangs are just there rather than being the main event for the crew to fight against. Running violence in the halls - is it rev, traitors, or is it just a couple of gangers beating the shit out of each other?
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270474

Gang was pure shit, and returning it would be a mistake. Fuck clock cult too.
Bring back papercult.

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #270544

InsaneHyena wrote:I hate team games, let me kill/die alone.
Jeez... sorry.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270549

Don't put words into my mouth, cult is my favourite game mode, nuke ops is fun, though usually short and miserable, and rev is simply necessary.
Bring back papercult.

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270566

peoplearestrange wrote:
Jeez... sorry.
Not a fan of hyena just posting "X is shit fuck off" either but as they said, don't put words in their mouth

I'm curious if there's anyhwere interesting gang can go now - the consensus seems to be it was an inherently unfun gamemode
Limey wrote:its too late.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270575

It was fun, at first, it was everyone's favourite gamemode, including mine. Then the meta formed.
Bring back papercult.

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #270597

InsaneHyena wrote:It was fun, at first, it was everyone's favourite gamemode, including mine. Then the meta formed.
I think that's a lot of the case with our run the other day. Most of the players involved had never touched gang before (myself included) so there was no real "meta" just a sort of weird happy medium between cult and rev. I suppose when the "meta" is sec going turbohitler and killing everything on the station it could stagnate, but in small doses it shows it can be a good mode.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #270601

Qbopper wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:
Jeez... sorry.
Not a fan of hyena just posting "X is shit fuck off" either but as they said, don't put words in their mouth

I'm curious if there's anyhwere interesting gang can go now - the consensus seems to be it was an inherently unfun gamemode

That's not a consensus at all, lot's of people say gang is a fun gamemode and it is frequently requested to do a round of gang.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270631

I've never heard of that happening, it's news to me

I can speak from experience though that it's probably more fun for the early gang members, but later in the round for most of the crew it's not a good time

I have the unfortunate habit of managing to avoid the conflict until the gang has a lot of guns and starts to kill people on sight
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #270704

I miss gang, but it shouldn't be back at the chances it was at. Maybe put it at blob's and call it a day? I think we can all agree that gangs is no more cancerous than blob and clock cult yet we still have both
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #271891

Gang was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #271895

Steelpoint wrote:Revolution is a pure and simple game mode with most of the filler cut out.

Gang was a over complicated game mode that relied massively on the competence, but also RNG, of the placement and viability of the Gang Leaders. Here are the main issues Gang Mode had.
  • Security was in a weird place. The game mode was crafted in a way in a attempt to sideline Security and to focus the game mode into a pure Gang v Gang mode. The problem here is that one of two things would occur, Security would be overrun by one Gang and then that Gang would win by having the Brig and most of Sec under its thumb. Alternatively Security would go balls to the wall shitsec and begin a massive purge of the entire station that was simply unfun and annoying for everyone involved.
  • Gang was massively reliant on the competence of the Gang leader AND the positioning of the round start Gangsters. If you had a competent leader and control over a single department you would win. Too many rounds ended with one dominate gang with 20+ members and all the rest having one or two Gangsters doing nothing.
  • The amount of cheese I saw with Dominator placements was unpalatable, a lot of the time you had no chance to zero in to the Dominator.
Ultimantly Gang is just a Rev game mode that was over saturated with poor ideas.

You also have to remember that back when Gang was on rotation, we had a large prevalence of conversion game modes. You had Cult, Rev, Gang and even Ratvar. I can't recall the math but I do remember that a large percentage of the game modes on the server at any time was a conversion based game mode, this led to a lot of furstration (more from sec) when you spent round after round having the crew desolve into a massive war. Conversion game modes are fun but only in moderation.
Yeah this pretty much. The gangs don't act like gangs at all, they're too centralized and their objective doesn't really fit with being gangsters. I mean, I don't know about you, but fucking annexing a space station doesn't sound much like what a gang would do. Though honestly most of the things I would imagine a gang doing that fit in the themeing probably wouldn't be very fitting for a main antagonist.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #271899

JStheguy wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Revolution is a pure and simple game mode with most of the filler cut out.

Gang was a over complicated game mode that relied massively on the competence, but also RNG, of the placement and viability of the Gang Leaders. Here are the main issues Gang Mode had.
  • Security was in a weird place. The game mode was crafted in a way in a attempt to sideline Security and to focus the game mode into a pure Gang v Gang mode. The problem here is that one of two things would occur, Security would be overrun by one Gang and then that Gang would win by having the Brig and most of Sec under its thumb. Alternatively Security would go balls to the wall shitsec and begin a massive purge of the entire station that was simply unfun and annoying for everyone involved.
  • Gang was massively reliant on the competence of the Gang leader AND the positioning of the round start Gangsters. If you had a competent leader and control over a single department you would win. Too many rounds ended with one dominate gang with 20+ members and all the rest having one or two Gangsters doing nothing.
  • The amount of cheese I saw with Dominator placements was unpalatable, a lot of the time you had no chance to zero in to the Dominator.
Ultimantly Gang is just a Rev game mode that was over saturated with poor ideas.

You also have to remember that back when Gang was on rotation, we had a large prevalence of conversion game modes. You had Cult, Rev, Gang and even Ratvar. I can't recall the math but I do remember that a large percentage of the game modes on the server at any time was a conversion based game mode, this led to a lot of furstration (more from sec) when you spent round after round having the crew desolve into a massive war. Conversion game modes are fun but only in moderation.
Yeah this pretty much. The gangs don't act like gangs at all, they're too centralized and their objective doesn't really fit with being gangsters. I mean, I don't know about you, but fucking annexing a space station doesn't sound much like what a gang would do. Though honestly most of the things I would imagine a gang doing that fit in the themeing probably wouldn't be very fitting for a main antagonist.
Its weird, it has the gang aspects of stereotypical "gang weapons" (uzis, pistols, etc), and spray tagging, but the entire domination thing and eliminating rival competition makes it feel like it's some sort of mafia

JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #271908

Togopal wrote:
JStheguy wrote:

Its weird, it has the gang aspects of stereotypical "gang weapons" (uzis, pistols, etc), and spray tagging, but the entire domination thing and eliminating rival competition makes it feel like it's some sort of mafia
Yeah, and the way the gangs are so heavily reliant on their gang bosses and lieutenants feels kinda wrong to me. It doesn't matter if the gang consisted of just those three based out of an empty broom closet or half the crew operating from a sprawling criminal hideout; the guys with the magic door remotes got busted, time to pack up and leave forever!
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #271933

Gangs would be alright if it just had two gangs. With three gangs one just ends up getting stomped early on and it's basically no fun for anyone who got converted to that one.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #271963

Rework gangs so their objective isnt the dominator. We already have 2 other gamemodes which is just bunkering down around a structure for 5+ minutes.

Make it instead simpler objectives like "Be the last gang left standing at round end" or "control more territories than the other gangs" which will be funner and encourage actual gang activites
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #272084

Gangs bunker down mechanic is more fun than clock cults imo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #272086

They're both in the same league of shit.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #272087

Implant spam ruined gang and you can't really fix that without severely fucking up rev and turning both modes into a security genocide simulator
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #272181

Kor wrote:Implant spam ruined gang and you can't really fix that without severely fucking up rev and turning both modes into a security genocide simulator
>implants no longer de-gang or give any indication that the implantee is a gangster
would this work?
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272186

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kor wrote:Implant spam ruined gang and you can't really fix that without severely fucking up rev and turning both modes into a security genocide simulator
>implants no longer de-gang or give any indication that the implantee is a gangster
would this work?
I mean, you also have to consider the impact on sec vs the gangs. Eventually you're stuck with a station of guys that are all going feral but you can't use implants to stop the bleeding. So you upzip the armory and genocide the crew.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #272189

cedarbridge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
would this work?
I mean, you also have to consider the impact on sec vs the gangs. Eventually you're stuck with a station of guys that are all going feral but you can't use implants to stop the bleeding. So you upzip the armory and genocide the crew.
they do this anyways
Spoiler:
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #272200

PKPenguin321 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
would this work?
they do this anyways
yep pretty much. once implants run out, we start putting laser bolts through heads. either way i still maintain that gangs is better than clock cult.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #272202

BeeSting12 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
would this work?
they do this anyways
yep pretty much. once implants run out, we start putting laser bolts through heads. either way i still maintain that gangs is better than clock cult.
the only point to implanting people in the first place is so you have more on your team to kill people not on your team
Spoiler:
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #272219

I think gangs could be improved and once I learn to code I'm gonna make it that way. Right now I'm just looking at various parts of the code and scratching my head, completely clueless.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #273240

I'm at least quite proud that I was able to actually make gang and iterate as much as I did considering I had no actual coding experience.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #273272

Ikarrus wrote:I'm at least quite proud that I was able to actually make gang and iterate as much as I did considering I had no actual coding experience.
A lot why gang sucks is more due to the meta and not so much the gamemode being horrible. Just the idea didn't work as it's suppose to with the idea the gangs all fighting one another, but usually two gangs don't do much and get killed early where it just devolves into the gang vs security thus it just becomes a less fun version of revolution.
Freedom