The over reliance on miners

General SS13 Chat
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

The over reliance on miners

Post by calzilla1 » #228756

I think the mining situation is quite fucked up. Miners rarely come back with minerals anymore, and even when they do they do the bare minimum, more focused on SWEET L00T GUYS! I say make the ORM upgraded less retarded or/and make drop rates of ore per rock be a lot more. Also give science a shuttle to lava land so if the miners fuck off/die science wont be fucked over
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Re: The over reliance on miners

Post by Knaive » #228759

Go to toxins, make bombs. Go to HoP, get mining access. Go to lavaland, blow rocks and pick up the ores. Materials for days.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #228761

On one hand, Lavaland really takes a lot of the focus away from the station.

On the other hand, it is because it is interesting and cool and fun as fuck. This is a game, it is supposed to be fucking fun, limiting content because you think the fun has the wrong focus is pretty dumb. Not in response to this post, just my thoughts in general on Lavaland. I think the big issue is that miners get cooler loot from killing monsters and hunting ruins than they do from the mining vendor machine
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #228762

One of the ideas i was considering to help with the miner gameplay/role dissonance was switching around cargo and mining roles as tech and resource sources for R&D. Miners would be there to collect unique high tech items from ruins and cargo to order steady supply of materials and parts. Would need a pretty big overhaul of cargo points though.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #228763

Why mine if RnD is never doing research.

There's more sides to it rather than just "phat loot."

They can die to monsters, ash walkers, other miners, ash storms.

Mining is easily the deadliest job. I guess it's just easier to assume all miners are just power gaming and hunting, no?
Last edited by D&B on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #228764

D&B wrote:I guess it's just easier to assume all miners are just power gaming and hunting, no?
Well you kind of have to. That's literally a requirement unless you want a 5 minute round.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
D&B

Post by D&B » #228765

Saegrimr wrote:
D&B wrote:I guess it's just easier to assume all miners are just power gaming and hunting, no?
Well you kind of have to. That's literally a requirement unless you want a 5 minute round.
If the person is smart /not knuckle dragging stupid, they can learn after their first death, tops. Problem is most don't have the first requirement.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #228796

D&B wrote:"phat loo."
what's this got to do with big toilets?
私は完璧
D&B

Post by D&B » #228798

Remie Richards wrote:
D&B wrote:"phat loo."
what's this got to do with big toilets?
Don't reply to me or my quote ever again
Spoiler:
fuck you
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #228809

If the ORM is loaded up, and the poor scientist working R&D is currently experiencing a life or death situation that prevents them from getting to the ORM, the cargo techs swing about and hoard all the minerals for PHAT LOOT. So many things can go wrong with the minerals.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
D&B

Post by D&B » #228813

The true solution is to remove ORM access to cargo and maybe install a machine that allows the redemption of ores in lava land and their teleportation to Science.

When emmaged make it send monsters too.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #228814

No one wins if miners believe science won't do RND and science believes miners won't give them adequate minerals.

Someone needs to step upto the plate.
D&B wrote:The true solution is to remove ORM access to cargo and maybe install a machine that allows the redemption of ores in lava land and their teleportation to Science.

you mean fulton beacons
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #228815

D&B wrote:The true solution is to remove ORM access to cargo and maybe install a machine that allows the redemption of ores in lava land and their teleportation to Science.

But muh plasma points
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
D&B

Post by D&B » #228816

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:No one wins if miners believe science won't do RND and science believes miners won't give them adequate minerals.

you mean fulton beacons
Pls delet this
Last edited by D&B on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
fuck you
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #228818

he's coming too?
D&B

Post by D&B » #228819

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:No one wins if miners believe science won't do RND and science believes miners won't give them adequate minerals.

you mean fulton beacons
See the thing is this is just a cycle of roundstart scientists just cramming into xenobio, miners refusing to mine for ores sinve nobody is doing Science's main job. This causes miners to die or just hunt, or interact with golems or sodomize ash walkers. Then you have the late join scientist that comes and tries to work on RnD but won't get more shit since miners at this point are dead/dying. And then we have these threads
Spoiler:
fuck you
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #228821

Just default it to five miners. More miners = more of a chance you'll get your shit... You lazy good for nothing never having research done scientist.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #228826

Be the change you want to see on the station. If you think miners are all power-gaming lootmongers, play a miner and gather minerals. Or go get mining access and do it as a scientist, while shit talking the current miners.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
D&B

Post by D&B » #228828

I am the change I want to see.

Getting lynched for building RnD in mining is not gucci
Spoiler:
fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #228850

Anturk's solution is right - remove mining as a job

Lavaland explorers are just that, explorers.

Replace mining with regular arriving mineral shipments to cargo
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #228854

Maybe it's just me but I never have problems delivering all types of minerals 15 minutes into the round while also had a drake killed... Regardless of me, most of the rounds I watch/play I see minerals being delivered.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #228856

oranges wrote:Anturk's solution is right - remove mining as a job

Lavaland explorers are just that, explorers.

Replace mining with regular arriving mineral shipments to cargo
The biggest RD powercreep of our lives.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #228857

That would implyi dripfeeding materials to RnD is somehow more powerful than an expert miner turning up with all the minerals they'll ever need 15 minutes in.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #228858

Fair point.

Giving up and automating something because relying on other players falls through too often feels like a cop out though.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228862

You could separate the job into Explorer and Miners.

MinerVends have stuff exclusively to benefit them from mining
ExplorerVends have stuff exclusively to help them ward off / fight monsters

If everyone chooses explorer and not miner, then the Scientist can at least see that in PDA and say "well shoot, gotta get it myself or just twiddle my thumbs" instead of flip coins on whether or not the current miners are actually mining.

The REAL solution, however, is to bring back the goof recycler that poops out diamonds and whatnot.

D&B wrote:

you mean fulton beacons

See the thing is this is just a cycle of roundstart scientists just cramming into xenobio, miners refusing to mine for ores sinve nobody is doing Science's main job. This causes miners to die or just hunt, or interact with golems or sodomize ash walkers. Then you have the late join scientist that comes and tries to work on RnD but won't get more shit since miners at this point are dead/dying. And then we have these threads

It's a cycle, not a one way problem. Miners AND scientists are to blame.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #228863

Except if you have explorers+miners you now have 6(?) people on lavaland, which I can't imagine will go over well if
Lavaland really takes a lot of the focus away from the station.
Is already a common sentiment when you only have 3 guys out of ~60 there.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #228864

Let's all code lavaland compound so it's public access.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #228869

Kor wrote:Except if you have explorers+miners you now have 6(?) people on lavaland, which I can't imagine will go over well if
You could do 2 and 2, so at least they have a partner if they want to team up.

Or you could just remove lavaland and bring back asteroid so people who complain about lavaland stop complaining about lavaland :^)
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #228873

kevinz000 wrote:Let's all code lavaland compound so it's public access.
I've actually considered doing sprites for the lavaland compound. Haven't learned dreamcode yet, but I know my way around pixel art. It also seems like the lavaland compound would fix most of these problems.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #228878

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Kor wrote:Except if you have explorers+miners you now have 6(?) people on lavaland, which I can't imagine will go over well if
You could do 2 and 2, so at least they have a partner if they want to team up.

Or you could just remove lavaland and bring back asteroid so people who complain about lavaland stop complaining about lavaland :^)
I've tried, believe me I've tried.
D&B

Post by D&B » #228879

Why not make goldgrubs eat slimes and shit out ores
Spoiler:
fuck you
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #228880

Calzilla. Have you played and experience this? Recently been playing on both Bagil and sybil and Bagil never fails to bring ores unless a megafauna is right outside or ashwalkers.

Now sybil I see no one ever plays miner really. Often or not when im miner (100% time on sybil cause it's a garen teed chance) my fellow miners are either new, tator tots, or just retarded. Basing this off about 25 games in the past 10 days.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #228882

Alipheese wrote:Calzilla. Have you played and experience this? Recently been playing on both Bagil and sybil and Bagil never fails to bring ores unless a megafauna is right outside or ashwalkers.

Now sybil I see no one ever plays miner really. Often or not when im miner (100% time on sybil cause it's a garen teed chance) my fellow miners are either new, tator tots, or just retarded. Basing this off about 25 games in the past 10 days.
I guess mostly on low pop, been playing QM a bit and see miners leave and comeback totally kitted out with about half a sack of ore

calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #228883

I do just say make ore drop alot higher (like 2 or 3x) like what /vg/ did

MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #228892

D&B wrote:I am the change I want to see.

This wouldn't be bad, but the handful of times I've seen you try to do everything yourself, you end up locking away resources and technology behind several doors worth of access most scientists don't have, or will be unable to get because HoP went AWOL, or Sec brigged them for hacking in.

The best solution would be to bring the resources back to the station and do the science there so late join scientists/existing scientists won't be left with their thumb up their ass because a single player absconded with the entire department.
And yes, they could get the spare circuit boards, but so could the miners.
ImageImageImage
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #228898

Making science not rely on mining removes one of the few departmental symbiotic relationships in the game and makes mining either just hunting or totally pointless.

If miners are overfocusing hunting over mining, perhaps look at the reward loop: Why do they prefer loot off mobs over loot from the vending machine?

Perhaps we need to include more, higher point loot in the vending machine. Perhaps include stuff that science has no replacement/copy for. So far the only things I can think of that are truly unique in the vending machine is the jaunter, and that costs about as much as a few chunks of plasma, and various mining tools which are inferior to the KA or to the advanced plasma cutter.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
D&B

Post by D&B » #228910

MimicFaux wrote:
D&B wrote:I am the change I want to see.

This wouldn't be bad, but the handful of times I've seen you try to do everything yourself, you end up locking away resources and technology behind several doors worth of access most scientists don't have, or will be unable to get because HoP went AWOL, or Sec brigged them for hacking in.

The best solution would be to bring the resources back to the station and do the science there so late join scientists/existing scientists won't be left with their thumb up their ass because a single player absconded with the entire department.
And yes, they could get the spare circuit boards, but so could the miners.
>They never bother to get at least a couple levels
>I take science down to brute force everything to the max and make tech disks for later rebuilding but upgrading comes first.
>Somehow they feel entitled to the research products I explicitly say I will pass out as soon as I finish.
>They get brigged for coming down on me with killing intent.

I even explicitly remember a round a fucking CE of all roles tried to kill me and destroy the machines because I took science down to lava land because no one else was working on it.
Spoiler:
fuck you
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228923

Funny because whenever I mine a lot of ore, science just lets it sit in the machine and never gets it.

It goes both ways.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #228934

Splitting the job into Miners and Explorers/Xenoarchaeologists/whatever is a good idea. But it doesn't address the core issue, which is people do not play basic station roles anymore. In before "it isn't a space office simulator" but it is a space station simulator, and the high-RP servers certainly don't have an issue with it.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #228937

It certainly doesn't help that the loot gotten off megafauna/necropolis crates is 100x better than the stuff in the mining vendors. It encourages miners to shirk mining ore so they can get much cooler shit.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #228938

Am I the only miner that shoves all my minerals in a box and mails it to R&D?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #228939

bandit wrote:Splitting the job into Miners and Explorers/Xenoarchaeologists/whatever is a good idea. But it doesn't address the core issue, which is people do not play basic station roles anymore. In before "it isn't a space office simulator" but it is a space station simulator, and the high-RP servers certainly don't have an issue with it.
Hello errorage.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
D&B

Post by D&B » #228949

Saegrimr wrote:Am I the only miner that shoves all my minerals in a box and mails it to R&D?
I put everything in a crate and deliver it personally.
Spoiler:
fuck you
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #228956

bandit wrote:Splitting the job into Miners and Explorers/Xenoarchaeologists/whatever is a good idea. But it doesn't address the core issue, which is people do not play basic station roles anymore. In before "it isn't a space office simulator" but it is a space station simulator, and the high-RP servers certainly don't have an issue with it.
So make those jobs more interesting (most of them are very boring mechanically and have no real purpose) or go to the "high RP" servers that have the style you enjoy instead of periodically complaining people are having fun wrong.

But for what its worth every time I've been on Basil in the past couple weeks I've seen every department full and active.
DrPillzRedux wrote: scientists aren't doing science
Don't have any hard starts to back it up, but I noticed RD wasn't getting finished for a while after the RD level rework, and I have not played miner recently but it seems better lately.

Maybe miners should get science as a channel on their radio so miners know when scientists are actually doing RD, and scientists are in the loop when all the miners are dying on the radio.
Arianya wrote:Why do they prefer loot off mobs over loot from the vending machine?
Not only are the items more fun, but dodging death is more exciting than hitting some rock walls and then RD not giving you anything but items to hit rock walls better (for minerals they no longer need because they have enough to last the whole round after the first run).

If we actually split it into explorer vs miner you'd probably get even few minerals as nobody signed up to mine again (the current mining job is three times as popular as the asteroid one) or they'd sign up as miner and tag along with the explorers.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #228966

Also, while I'm sure there are miners that ignore the mining aspect and just hunt for treasure, most of the time I don't see minerals making it back to station it's because all the miners have died due to the environment/monsters/a single antagonist because they're so isolated. Their workplace being being a ton of locked airlocks, a shuttle ride, and on another z level means most people that could help them (medical, security) can't be bothered to do so.

But I'm also worried that letting people reach them easier will just end with half the crew vanishing into the wastes every round.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #228984

Some dumb suggestions off the top of my head:
  • Relocate Science to the mining station. I haven't played Goon in ages, but I recall that, ages ago, Science was located on its own mini-station. It had its own nuclear device for self-destruction, and I believe virology was also staged there? I liked the concept, and maybe something similar to it could be applied here. It would make more sense to have Plasma research (REMEMBER PLASMA? THE ENTIRE FUCKING REASON WHY WE'RE HERE?) in particular as close as it can be to the source. If the scientists want to do their own mining, then maybe they could do what Knaive suggested and bomb the place for ore. Explosions are uncapped on lavaland, right?
  • Ore-based monsters. Watchers already drop diamonds. Why not make the rest of the monsters drop ore as well? Goliaths could come in different flavors, with each one dropping an ore-based plate. Said plates could either be added to suits like usual, or broken down into minerals to stash in the mining satchel.
  • More convenient revival/cloning options. Granted, I'm not trying to say that miners should be able to respawn with no penalty. Having a little insurance around for their inevitable demise might be nice, though. Along with the Science relocation idea, maybe mining should have a Paramedic office to assist with retrieving and cloning miners.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #228996

Why don't we just remove lavaland and make kor buy his own surver to run Lavaland Station that's nothing but lava, land, and dying to computer enemies. Bring asteroid back 2017
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #229007

D&B wrote:I even explicitly remember a round a fucking CE of all roles tried to kill me and destroy the machines because I took science down to lava land because no one else was working on it.
lol

You're a fucking idiot, the only thing I wanted was to take the ORM back to the station that YOU took while I was making room for the BSA, and YOU were the one who attacked me by trying to set me on fire.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #229009

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Why don't we just remove lavaland and make kor buy his own surver to run Lavaland Station that's nothing but lava, land, and dying to computer enemies. Bring asteroid back 2017
Yes please, mining is about digging rocks, not fucking off to some fuckoff planet to dress yourself in shiny drake armour 5 minutes into the round doing fuckall for the station.
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #229012

Kor wrote:But I'm also worried that letting people reach them easier will just end with half the crew vanishing into the wastes every round.
If anyone wants to go there, it's already pretty easy for them to do so
Just making it easier to get in wouldn't change that much