/TG/ European Server?? Please?

General SS13 Chat
darkseris
Byond Username: Darkseris

/TG/ European Server?? Please?

Post by darkseris » #248858

So, I am a new player here...GREYTIDE WOOP!!

By far /tg/ station 13 is my favorite version of the game. However me and I am sure many others have an issue, Ping. People who are not close to the United states are basically boned. The game is Painful (Edit*) for some of us on (270ms+).
Is there any chance that there would be a EU server for /TG/ station 13 ?!?

I mean think of it, there are 2 US servers. I know some people love playing on low-pop and enjoy a good murderbone. But if one of them is hosted in the EU, people in the US can still play on it with good ping. This just allows Europlebs to have a better experience. And allow people from other nations to Have An Experience, heh. If further funding is required maybe have a stretch goal on patreon I would definitely chip in.

pls,
Darkseris

(This following bit is from my replies to other members posts that help my argument, for all the TL;DR peps. I recommend you skip this and read-on for more context.)

So lets say a US player has 70 ms or whatever I don't really know, then why would you complain about adding say..30-50 more ms (again idk its a small amount though I have been in the US playing on EU severs) so on the second server they would have around 100-120ms. We can't have that happen huh? that's Unplayable see that's insanity. however others would go from 270 to 130 ms(that what I get on EU servers) Which is A Big difference dude.

There is a reason many games have servers mainly on the EU and the US. Cause they reach a lot of people.

Edit* Also I must say maybe unplayable is the a wrong word to use. Let me adjust, Painful.

I don't need zero ping I just wanna enjoy moving around feeling smooth motion having resesposive UI and have a similar combat ability to others.

Last edit(I promise)*

EU server =
0.03 sec increase delay for most, 0.14-0.2+ sec delay reduction for some. There will be still a US server for those PROS THAT NEED THOSE 0.000011 seconds OF Pure SKILLL!!
More accessibility, more players, More servers, more money, more admins, more variety in server pops, more happiness, more lizards every one wins.

Love from lizard,
Darkseris

Disclamer, Some of these numbers are solid guess-timations from my Ass*Couph* Experiences
Last edited by darkseris on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Re: /TG/ European Server?? Please?

Post by Fiz Bump » #248859

This thread has potential
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #248861

str>dex

Anyway, welcome to the pain of being yuropleb
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #248862

>270ms
>unplayable
ahahahahahahahahahahaha
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #248866

nope fatty
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Sweets
Byond Username: Reondin

Post by Sweets » #248869

Firecage regularly plays with 400 ms from AUSSIELAND

Also American based servers for an American based website. Build wall and kick the gay british lizards back to Vorestation where they belong.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248871

DemonFiren wrote:>270ms
>unplayable
ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Have you tried combat on that latency you shoot a laser at where your enemy might be in 0.27 sec that's huge, Walking in the game is stutter-y its sooo EHEH Annoying everything is late! Running away gotta open a door? HAH good fukin luck you will miss it multiple times then die. I went on a EU goonstation server it was so fluid sooo fine ohhh it feels amazing. But God Damn does their version Suck BALLLS (my opinion).
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #248872

>>>>>270ms
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>unplayable

500ms+ is unplayable
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248873

Sweets wrote:Firecage regularly plays with 400 ms from AUSSIELAND

Also American based servers for an American based website. Build wall and kick the gay british lizards back to Vorestation where they belong.

Damn, that firecage guy...I feel for you man. Playing Tetris-station 13(now that's funny). Also I must stress again that if one of the servers was in the EU the US players probably wont notice a difference their ping will be fairly low. So if it doesn't affect you that much but means the world to others, why not man. Its only gaem y u haf to be stingy.
Last edited by darkseris on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248880

imblyings wrote:>>>>>270ms
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>unplayable

500ms+ is unplayable

Okay sir, Hear me out. According to some of you guys 270ms+ Stutter fuckin falling around jumbling all over getting screwed in pvp Is totally fucking fine and we gotta shut our whore complain-y mouths. So lets say a US player has 70 ms or whatever I don't really know, then why would you complain about adding say..30-50 more ms (again idk its a small amount though I have been in the US playing on EU severs) so on the second server they would have around 100-120ms. We can't have that happen huh? that's Unplayable see that's insanity. Double standard. however others would go from 270 to 130 ms(that what i get on EU servers) Which is A Big difference dude.

There is a reason many games have servers mainly on the EU and the US.Cause they reach alot of people.

Edit* Also I must say maybe unplayable is the a wrong word to use. Let me adjust, Painful.

Forgive my tone I haven't had any coffee.
Last edited by darkseris on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #248885

Are you the guy who ahelped about the idea of a euro /tg/ server?

I tried to warn you, man
Limey wrote:its too late.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248886

CosmicScientist wrote:I never have a problem (unless everyone else is suffering a problem on the server's end) in the UK, although I'm mostly on fibre but that's mainly for consistency and to lessen brownouts and remove blackouts because apparently ISPs in England don't understand how to keep even a 2Mbps download on copper stable.

Did you check if it's your ISP or local infrastructure?

If you need a near zero ping to pull off a stunt in spessmens, you may need to reevaluate your strategies or see if there's a small coding change you can provide to alleviate your problem.
Great, I am happy that you don't feel any problems. This again asserts how the connection between the EU and the US is great aslong as those damn sharks don't bite the fiber. I assure you there are no issues from my end on that you must believe me. I am just far away with distance comes ping. I don't need zero ping I just wanna enjoy moving around feeling smooth motion having rsesposive UI and have a similar combat ability to others.
Last edited by darkseris on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248888

Qbopper wrote:Are you the guy who ahelped about the idea of a euro /tg/ server?

I tried to warn you, man

No sir, I don't recall contacting anyone about this. This is good there are more like me. We will band Together!!! ... and probably fail and cry...This is worth a try.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #248908

>not being in the USA
it's 2017
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #248912

this eurofag will never know the pain of 1000+ ping
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #248913

this eurofag will never know the pain of 1000+ ping
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248918

Hah!

We must make Tetris*Couph*SpaceStation13 Great again. I am posting way too much. I blame too much coffee now. Well I rest my case with this:
EU server =
0.03 sec increase delay for most, 0.14-0.2+ sec delay reduction for some. There will be still a US server for those PROS THAT NEED THOSE 0.000011 seconds OF Pure SKILLL!!
More accessibility, more players, More servers, more money, more admins, more variety in server pops, more happiness, more lizards every one wins.

Love from lizard,
Darkseris
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #248920

CosmicScientist wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:>not being in the USA
it's 2017
The Muslim world can't now.
the clearest solution here is to ban any non-USA muslim ss13 players (which is possibly the most esoteric group to ever exist).
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #248934

I actually think its perfectly reasonable if anyone cares.

I played a round with 600+ ping on a potato computer with a keyboard and a touchscreen.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #248937

MrEousTranger wrote:I actually think its perfectly reasonable if anyone cares.

I played a round with 600+ ping on a potato computer with a keyboard and a touchscreen.
Have you ever played single player or sub 100 ms? You must try it. its... Buttery Smooooth mmmhhhhhh. Look at the light! you are missing out. You must join me !
dannnnnnnnnnnnnno
Byond Username: RussellTalbott

Post by dannnnnnnnnnnnnno » #248954

tonto stop ban evading it's been years
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #249013

this is actually a pretty good idea, prolly not gonna happen
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #249020

you don't even know the meaning of the word high ping
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #249026

dannnnnnnnnnnnnno wrote:tonto stop ban evading it's been years
Dude tonto is unbanned now. Terbs too
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #249137

PKPenguin321 wrote:>not being in the USA
it's 2017
>american
>not joining the Ontario admin conspiracy

smh fam tbh
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #249550

Mockery jokes aside, pretty sure MSO is hosting each server on pretty high spec rigs and so adding a third, European server (besides the issue of finding a hosting location) would probably not be very affordable, especially since it would just divide the playerbase more and institute further server wars, which is orange's favourite meme.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #249553

Tbh there is a noticeable difference between 100 and 200 ping, at least for me. 200-400 is pretty playable, but going below 200 is beneficial.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #249876

Arianya wrote:Mockery jokes aside, pretty sure MSO is hosting each server on pretty high spec rigs and so adding a third, European server (besides the issue of finding a hosting location) would probably not be very affordable, especially since it would just divide the playerbase more and institute further server wars, which is orange's favourite meme.

I disagree, The community won't be divided more than it already is between people who like Sybil and people who like Bagil. According to every one here ping isn't very effective to your experience, so adding 30-50 ms to US players is nothing, That should not discourage people from the US from playing on the re-positioned server.

The idea was to re-position one of the two already existing servers to the EU, not adding a third. re-positioning the server shouldn't be a heavy burden it's just finding the right provider then copying over files (maybe with a few IP tweaks). And if for some reason the EU provider charges more for the same specs then that's where the patreon comes in.

Actually I even noticed other communities don't include EU or US on the name of the server, I think that helps in a way cause people from the US wont see EU in the title and think "Oh I shouldn't play on this server cause it will perform worse" And vise versa.

For space station 13 Ping doesn't matter at all for people on the west side of the EU and East side of the US it's basically the same experience for EU/US servers, The ping is negligible. But for some of the people far away from the current servers having one moved to another location means a great deal of ping reduction.
Last edited by darkseris on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #249898

Been on these servers a long time. Hail from Britland myself.

The servers are currently in the least laggy condition they've ever been in. I didn't know how badly I had it until this update, and I didn't know how bad I had it before that until after the 100x update. My ping's still about 150ms, but it's more than playable.

To make a Euro serber is to split the playerbase more; I'm not sure it's a good idea, unless we make Basil a Euro server.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #249903

AnonymousNow wrote:Been on these servers a long time. Hail from Britland myself.

The servers are currently in the least laggy condition they've ever been in. I didn't know how badly I had it until this update, and I didn't know how bad I had it before that until after the 100x update. My ping's still about 150ms, but it's more than playable.

To make a Euro serber is to split the playerbase more; I'm not sure it's a good idea, unless we make Basil a Euro server.
Great, I am happy that you have no issues with ping. But as I mentioned before you are close enough to the US, you gotta think of those who are not.

On the issue of the Divide lets imagine this scenario:
Sybil Gets re-positioned to Frankfurt or the UK without making a big fuss about the move. The server name is still SS13: Sybil, most people who play on Sybil join it and notice no difference in their experience cause of the negligible ping increase. That would be the ideal scenario they wouldn't care.

You know who will get negatively affected by this hypothetical Sybil move? people around China and Alaska those people will gain a noticeable difference in ping and will play on Bagil instead.

People in Australia are fucked either way as they always have. Man I can only sympathies for those poor souls in Australia.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #249934

The EU is a big place, where would I put it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #249936

MrStonedOne wrote:The EU is a big place, where would I put it.
Frankfurt, a lot of EU game servers are placed there. I am not sure why, but what I am sure of is that gaming conglomerates know what they are doing.
Spoiler:
And if you are on the edge while considering this, Give it a bash. Throw it there for a month worst case scenario(which I hope won't happen) if you are at all dissatisfied you can always just revert the change. And your players experience 2 tiny periods of downtime

YEA! he's considering it! Europlebs & Lizards Rejoice! However consideration is but a won battle, and the war still rages on!
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #249944

That would be rather great. We could maybe syphon additional english-speaking europlebs from other servers too.
Sad elegy
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #249948

NSFW:
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #249951

Don't download that link, now whenever I open my browser it redirects me to the /tg/ station patreon.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #249954

My concern is how this'd affect the symlinks and SQL response time.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #249955

Alright, well this is happening. I'm currently prepping for the full shebang, website stuff will be mirrored and eu people will connect to a eu server for stuff like the wiki/forums. Database Writes and Inserts (connection logging, wiki editing, forum posting, etc) will still happen in FL, and have a delay, but most will happen locally. after a EU third server, i'm gonna move sybil and bagil from south east USA so that one is in south west USA (California) and one is in north east USA (New York). I'll have to do some work to figure out how to split east and west. but that will be a month away.

Worst case, I downgrade EU to just do website cloning if the server doesn't have enough traffic.

Before i get too far into this, i'll add google analytics to the game server so i can see who's actually playing from where on what server.
NSFW:
Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #249968

Oh shit

MSO you make things happen
Darkseris thanks for coming up with the idea
Sad elegy
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #249970

It's been asked before, this was just lucky enough to come shortly after I was reading about something that would make such a setup easier to do.
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #249991

this is a trap, he wants to corral all the EU players into one server to ban them, resist this!
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #249996

But oranges, the ping :surprised:

Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #250003

MrStonedOne wrote:Alright, well this is happening. I'm currently prepping for the full shebang, website stuff will be mirrored and eu people will connect to a eu server for stuff like the wiki/forums. Database Writes and Inserts (connection logging, wiki editing, forum posting, etc) will still happen in FL, and have a delay, but most will happen locally. after a EU third server, i'm gonna move sybil and bagil from south east USA so that one is in south west USA (California) and one is in north east USA (New York). I'll have to do some work to figure out how to split east and west. but that will be a month away.

Worst case, I downgrade EU to just do website cloning if the server doesn't have enough traffic.

Before i get too far into this, i'll add google analytics to the game server so i can see who's actually playing from where on what server.
Holy shit I love you
the only thing im scared for is the serverpop tho
darkseris

Post by darkseris » #250030

Awesome It's happening, no rush of course.

Now, because you have elected to make a third server, at first there will definitely be a pop drop across all servers. However as Whoisthere mentioned, hopefully more English-speaking Europlebs join /TG/ when they learn that the superior version of the game just opened shop next door. However these new players will probably not join the US counterparts because if they could then they would have joined earlier. Meaning the US servers will probably not get replacements from these new EU-only players. But since you are moving sybil and bagil to the opposite sides of the US. We may get new US players who previously played on other US servers, for a ping reduction. These new US players are probably going to be a very few amount of people cause that's a very small amount of ping reduction that wouldn't warrant a server migration if they are at all invested in their old servers.

These are only my predictions and may not be representative of the future. I am mentioning all of this because when those numbers go down, I don't want people with pitchforks coming after me :shock: . Remember I suggested a re-position of one of the servers, not a third.

However I support whatever MSO decides on cause who the fuck am I? I don't have any experience running any of this shit.
So Good Luck bossman, boss, HoP, guy who is in-charge, captain? 8-) ;)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #250035

I am leery of this simply because last time we tried to split the community three ways it ended up with Basil dying. Do we have enough players to sustain three servers?

On the other hand it might bring in more european players so who knows
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #250036

Wyzack wrote:I am leery of this simply because last time we tried to split the community three ways it ended up with Basil dying. Do we have enough players to sustain three servers?

On the other hand it might bring in more european players so who knows
move all the cyka blyat to one containment server
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #250040

A pop split won't be all bad tbh, the servers get annoying when there are 30 assistants. And I don't get to play with DemonFiren anymore so that is another big plus
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #250044

>implying
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #250045

MrStonedOne wrote:Alright, well this is happening. I'm currently prepping for the full shebang, website stuff will be mirrored and eu people will connect to a eu server for stuff like the wiki/forums. Database Writes and Inserts (connection logging, wiki editing, forum posting, etc) will still happen in FL, and have a delay, but most will happen locally. after a EU third server, i'm gonna move sybil and bagil from south east USA so that one is in south west USA (California) and one is in north east USA (New York). I'll have to do some work to figure out how to split east and west. but that will be a month away.

sybil in the north thanks :^)

but damn, there you go, holy shit
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #250066

If the Euro server becomes a permanent thing, it may be worth recruiting some EUmins, since I could foresee some admin population issues from being split across three servers.

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #250126

gay
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit