Purlek Disease (Or, as I like to call it, DarkRP decay)

General SS13 Chat
juanototo2
Byond Username: Juanototo2

Purlek Disease (Or, as I like to call it, DarkRP decay)

Post by juanototo2 » #251646

PURLEK DISEASE
Purlek disease is the slow decay of a server, or niche thing that lives on only via a tight knit community.

This post is mainly caused via what I've revalued myelf to see through a few months of play.

If you don't know this, Purlek was the admin of BestRP, a shitty hub server that served as a gateway tumor for bad players and bad people.
One of the reasons why I believe we are going straight to the shitter is the following:
Remember the custom job trend from darkRP?

Remember the donator jobs, SWAT, VIP Thief, etcetera?
Remember how horrible, visible and shitty the trickle and flood of trolls, bad RPers, bad players, and generally shitty people even in Clockwork?
This is delightfully paralleled with Purlek's BestRP server..

In order to catalog this, I do prefer I should make a scale for this kind of shit.

Enter, the Purlek Scale.

0 Purleks
Means that the game is too niche, too unseen and rarely reaches more than a tight knit group. AKA: Ancient goon, exadv1 ss13.
0.5 Purleks
The small groups have received recognition from curious nerds within their circle or near it. they now become more known, but still the same of a niche and small thing
that only they know. Crusty grandpa goon.
One Full Purlek
The thing has become known, but not mainstream in its genre or platform. At this point there is a split of popularity and there are more servers, more populated. The old can now pick their poison./tg/, bay and others sprout in era.

Two Full Purleks
The old ones recently from the first start splitting due to ideological differences, demographic collapse, etcetera and the public genre, platform etcetera starts learning of it, but usually either dismisses it. The people who dug deep enough or are intimate with the platform and found that make their server. BestRP sprout era.

Three Purleks
The original splitted servers finally get a demographic shift via hub, or other full problem and become fully infested. Most of the originals huddle in a unseen server.
The original tumor evolves, becomes stronger or splits up.
BestRP collapses into paradise, a benign tumor, d20 gets its small population, etcetera.

(Theoretical, based on study of Gmod's DarkRP cycle)Four Purleks
The game has now become mainstream for the platform, highly visible for those who view it and a possible hobby for normal people who stumble upon it. Most of the originals die off due to unrelated causes, are watered down, or fail to live any longer due to the original group leaving the game and due to a lack of others joining in, their subculture dying off.

Five Full Purleks
At this point, the hobby is now completely fucked over and has succumbed. It is now visible to the platform, news articles sprung up about said subculture frequently, and the lowest common denominator is now 99% of the servers.
It now becomes a cash cow for server owners and generally has been thrown away long ago. Some may still cling to nostalgia in small bunkers with hidden IPs and secretiveness, but it is now fully dead and squeakers are the majority.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Purlek Disease (Or, as I like to call it, DarkRP decay)

Post by PKPenguin321 » #251648

Yeah you're right this server is exclusively shit and a cash cow and nothing in history has ever had more than a handful of people participate in it without it being shit good point :roll:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #251649

thanks for reminding me to code darkRP
juanototo2

Post by juanototo2 » #251650

PKPenguin321 wrote:Yeah you're right this server is exclusively shit and a cash cow and nothing in history has ever had more than a handful of people participate in it without it being shit good point :roll:
At about three or two purleks, the cancer is manageable and curtailable, actually. The whole problem happens with greytide-floods usually resulting in panic bunker usage and other not-likable crap. If a greytide-flood is big enough, that's what can lead to four or five, which usually results in the collapse of a hobby.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #251651

also, fuck you for thinking new players are bad things

go to lifeweb with the rest of the "ree get out normie" autists
juanototo2

Post by juanototo2 » #251652

The issue isn't players coming in, it's said players being too inexperienced, malinformed, etcetera to be able to work well in the community, and by GOD it will be on insane levels.

The admin team has worked very hard to reform bad players and filter the tide, but levels of tide from a celebrity mentioning it, a news post from a popular thing, etcetera will break the filter. Even I'm, a regular from the hub, pretty unhappy about the idea of that happening.

The admin team was designed for a semi-reasonable trickle of people from other places: MUDs, byond, newspaper articles or just people who stumbled upon it by luck and felt this was their game, and to hold back the low amount of griffons.

Not a flood of toolboxing faceless masked men who don't even know how to apply ointment to the left leg but still manage to know how to grab something, click on something else's face with it and move toward said thing.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #251655

I code a video game for people to play. I want people to know about the video game I work on. I want new players.

Having players actively attempt to stop new players and stop people from knowing about the game is absolutely atrocious
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #251657

That was a lot of words about something I know nothing about and given the follow-up am now less motivated to know more about. Why does this thread exist in less than 30 words?
juanototo2

Post by juanototo2 » #251659

iamgoofball wrote:I code a video game for people to play. I want people to know about the video game I work on. I want new players.

Having players actively attempt to stop new players and stop people from knowing about the game is absolutely atrocious
There's an easy way for a compromise. Keep the mods under close sight when a tideflood exists and avoid using panic bunker unless the grief is ginormous, make it a slow trickle or give it a splash or two for reinvigoration, not just turn on the firehose and aim it directly at every single visible server's admins. Nobody here likes burnout, really.

If there's a tideflood, we want to make grief rules pretty strict, not just allow chaos and cause pussywhipping every third second.

AKA: Quadruple Saegrimr when a tideflood exists to prevent too much damage.
Also,
to cedarbridge wrote:Mitigating damage about the next ONEY PLAYS or stream about this game and ensuring that this game's playerbase is at least okay for the playstyle, and removing the possibility of a tide ruining everyone's day.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #251681

You can talk about tide all you want, but my understanding is that the admin team already has a plan of action that involves panic bunkering both servers. One of them is already bunkered 24/7 so it's not hard for them to do on demand.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #251727

which one
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #251728

Every year someone makes a thread about how the whole community is supposedly going to shit, you aint on anything new
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #251732

iamgoofball wrote:I code a video game for people to play. I want people to know about the video game I work on. I want new players.

Everyone was a newfag at some point, especially in a game as archaic as SS13.

It's fine to not want to teach newbies or to not like someone new to the game, but don't be a douche.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #251757

ITT: fucking normies get out of my space game

I mean I can see where you're going with this post but really, what does this accomplish? Everyone knows the quality of a community usually decreases a bit with numbers because the sheer amount of shitty people increases, but what does that matter? There isn't a sudden point where it just collapses in on itself
Limey wrote:its too late.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #251766

BACK IN MY DAY IT WAS BETTER, NGYEUGH

But seriously, I understand your point. As new players have come in and old players have left, the servers' attitude toward things such as roleplay, validhunting, powergaming etc. have softened and become weak - it's quite disappointing to see. We need to educate our players, including new ones, about what we want to see out of them. I'm seeing mononyms, OOC in IC, griff for the sake of griff etc. all get ignored by the new generations, and there are now people who will unironically mock you from bringing up the idea of roleplay (we were a medium roleplay server, guys. Then you got too scared of becoming Bay. And now we're Goon).

I'm hardly an originalfag, even if I have been playing for... what? Six years now? But I much preferred it as it was before, and we can still have that style of gameplay whilst inducting new players.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #251787

I remember when we touted the fact we were a middle ground between Goon and Bay role play wise.

Even if the reality was further from the truth we at least tried to hold that ideal.

Do times change indeed.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #251792

just ban people who are to shit and ban people who aren't shit enough

every once in a while you'll get that perfect player that is a equal balance of not shit and shit.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #251829

the shed beckons
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #251845

Deitus wrote:NOOOOOOO

STOP DISCUSSING THIIIIIIINGS
The reason why issues like those in this thread never get addressed, everybody.

How do we go about fixing our condition? New guidelines? New adminrules? New adminprocess?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
EasX
Byond Username: EasX

Post by EasX » #251850

AnonymousNow wrote:I'm hardly an originalfag, even if I have been playing for... what? Six years now? But I much preferred it as it was before, and we can still have that style of gameplay whilst inducting new players.
I completely agree with this. Just yesterday, I was literally seeing people typing shit like ":DD", "OwO", and "We dont want to meta Xd" in IC chat. I may not be a super veteran player, but I do remember that there was definitely some sort of RP standard that people were held up to back then. We don't need to go full Bay mode, but at least try to encourage a baseline level for people to follow.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #251917

EasX wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:I'm hardly an originalfag, even if I have been playing for... what? Six years now? But I much preferred it as it was before, and we can still have that style of gameplay whilst inducting new players.
I completely agree with this. Just yesterday, I was literally seeing people typing shit like ":DD", "OwO", and "We dont want to meta Xd" in IC chat. I may not be a super veteran player, but I do remember that there was definitely some sort of RP standard that people were held up to back then. We don't need to go full Bay mode, but at least try to encourage a baseline level for people to follow.
I've started seeing non-lizards without last names and an annoying amount of simile faces. This shit needs to stop.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #251956

Are there just no admins on when you see these? I dont think I've seen a single emote or recieved an ahelp in months
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #251958

even from the title i can tell that this is a shitpost.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #251967

EasX wrote:
110% please ahelp that shit, I don't know a single admin that wouldn't bwoink someone for that
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #251978

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Are there just no admins on when you see these? I dont think I've seen a single emote or recieved an ahelp in months
Its mostly just minor cases where I'm too busy doing other things to notice. Its mostly a peeve and less of a "I should ahelp this immediately" thing.