What happened to Basil?

General SS13 Chat
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

What happened to Basil?

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #254220

I have been playing on Basil for a long time now over a year now, I started /tg/ on Sybil in February of 2016 to see what it was all about, because I used to just pop on the server and ghost a long time ago, and never say anything. I decided to finally try it, but I found Sybil wasn't my type of server, the rounds were too fast paced for me, because I came from a server that had 2 hour long rounds, so 20-30 minutes did not cut it for me, and the community in Sybil was a bit more aggressive, in my opinion. So I heard about /tg/'s second server, Basil. That's when I then became a part of the /tg/ community, I enjoyed playing on Basil, they have had a great amount of players at the time, not over-populated, and also the round lengths were great. The community was rather calm, and it felt like I was accepted there more than Sybil, and it felt less than a valid salad murderbone server. So fast forward a long time, I stopped playing it for some lengths of time, taking little "breaks" because I lost interest in ss13 sometimes, but decided to play again at a later date. But then I come back today, to find that Basil's old community is almost gone, there are a bunch of hub players in the who list that I don't even recognize and I heard news from one of my friends on steam that it turned into Sybil basically, 30 minute long rounds and the kind of playerbase Sybil had. I don't know what has happened, but I hope Sybil becomes Sybil again, and Basil becomes Basil again. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Last edited by The Ultimate Chimera on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Re: What happened to Basil?

Post by Haevacht » #254224

Started last year, says he's been playing on basil a long time.

It's a whining about bagels episode!
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #254225

Well, in my opinion it felt like a long time. It may have only been a year, but I have been playing almost every day. I'm a nerd, I know. :honk:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #254226

Went through some weird ass phases where it was 5 players basil, 90+ players sybil.
"Basil is dead!" everyone screamed. Pop caps were put on sybil, a few went to basil.
"Basil is dead! I hate pop caps!" everyone screamed. So it was opened to the Hub.
"RREEEEEE PUBBIES!" all 6 people on basil screamed. So a couple went to sybil to cry about it.

I'd keep up funny storytime but the tl;dr is a bunch of sybil dudes realized unrobust pubbies were easy targets, population numbers shifted and nobody wants to join the "lower population" server, so we're back at square 1 with swapped names and swapped hub times.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #254227

Saegrimr wrote:Went through some weird ass phases where it was 5 players basil, 90+ players sybil.
"Basil is dead!" everyone screamed. Pop caps were put on sybil, a few went to basil.
"Basil is dead! I hate pop caps!" everyone screamed. So it was opened to the Hub.
"RREEEEEE PUBBIES!" all 6 people on basil screamed. So a couple went to sybil to cry about it.

I'd keep up funny storytime but the tl;dr is a bunch of sybil dudes realized unrobust pubbies were easy targets, population numbers shifted and nobody wants to join the "lower population" server, so we're back at square 1 with swapped names and swapped hub times.
I see, do you think it will turn back to normal again in the near future, Saeg?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #254228

Shit I dunno man. Just play Sybil if you want lowpop. It's like old Basil except more salty oldfags who wont go to Basil for reasons.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #254241

Hub and a failed project of pushing mid rp happened.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #254242

Saegrimr wrote:Went through some weird ass phases where it was 5 players basil, 90+ players sybil.

To be fair, the pubbies are generally awful.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #254250

The Ultimate Chimera wrote:I have been playing on Basil for a long time now over a year now, I started /tg/ on Sybil in February of 2016
funniest thing i read all year
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #254252

danno wrote:
The Ultimate Chimera wrote:I have been playing on Basil for a long time now over a year now, I started /tg/ on Sybil in February of 2016
funniest thing i read all year
What's funny about that?
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #254255

I'd argue that Basil is as good as never before. Lots of players, lots of stuff happening but it's still very possible to RP silly things. Even Sybil is hovering in playable playercounts instead of deadpop Basil.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #254798

I like Sybil, always have

Some of the regulars are cool dudes and it feels like rounds are less of a fucking mess than 90+ games or whatever ridiculous shit Bagil gets to, I always felt the same way when Sybil was popular but Bagil usually had like 6 people max
Limey wrote:its too late.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #254804

I just play on whichever one has more people
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #254806

Luke Cox wrote:I just play on whichever one has more people
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #254807

although basil and sybil have switched popsize they are pretty much identical, both have the same level of rp now, which is sad tbh
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #254818

geilebeer wrote:although basil and sybil have switched popsize they are pretty much identical, both have the same level of rp now, which is sad tbh
is 0 a level? :^)
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #254819

I only play on Bagil if Sybil is sub 30 players.
30-40 people on Sybil is pretty dang comfy tbh.
Munchlax

Post by Munchlax » #254821

Qbopper wrote:
geilebeer wrote:although basil and sybil have switched popsize they are pretty much identical, both have the same level of rp now, which is sad tbh
is 0 a level? :^)
:neigh:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #254854

i always play sybil and the other day it was down so bagil had like 80 people, i joined and on my first round there rolled traitor and had to hijack and greentexted

tl;dr bagil is unrobust as fuck
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mooseykins
Byond Username: Mooseykins

Post by Mooseykins » #254977

The servers are identical in robustness and RP level, don't listen to sybil idiots saying otherwise, don't listen to bagil retards saying otherwise. People just like to think the server they go on is a special snowflake compared to the other
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #254999

but sybil IS superior technically
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #255001

Lol servers are not the same in terms of robustness.
Bagil is woefully unrobust, even with its consistent high pop.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #255008

Bagil is extremely unrobust on average
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #255011

Armhulen wrote:but sybil IS superior technically
exhibit a
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #255012

The server that attracts people from the hub is naturally going to see more people, on average, be of a lower stock of competence.

That's not to say there's more or less "robust" players on Basil, in fact there's likely more "robust" players on Basil. Its just akin to finding a needle in a haystack (basil) in comparison to a small pile of needles (sybil).
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #255015

Steelpoint wrote:The server that attracts people from the hub is naturally going to see more people, on average, be of a lower stock of competence.

That's not to say there's more or less "robust" players on Basil, in fact there's likely more "robust" players on Basil. Its just akin to finding a needle in a haystack (basil) in comparison to a small pile of needles (sybil).
if needles are the robust players then you've made a good analogy
The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #255203

Armhulen wrote:if needles are the robust players then you've made a good analogy
:honk: