More Lore to SS13?

General SS13 Chat
Lwbrown

More Lore to SS13?

Post by Lwbrown » #19798

I know I will be ridiculed by some for asking this but I was just wondering, what the hell is the story in SS13? I know there is Nanotrasen (which is basically Black Mesa) and the terrorist group 'Syndicates' but that is all there is really. Why was the Station even made? Is it an outpost? A research facility? If anyone has any idea i would like to know! Also what do you think is the Lore to SS13? If you have any ideas i would also like to hear them.
On another note what is happening on the station? is it like some hell where it keeps resetting every time the shuttle makes it to centcom? Many questions to the story of SS13 (If there is one!) and I think some people would like to know. And to the ones saying 'Its just a game it doesn't need a back story!' remember that even Call of Duty has lore ( albeit not much).

These are just some Questions I've been asking myself while playing.
Pontius Pilate: 'I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...'
[A guard sniggers]
Pontius Pilate: '...Dickus?'
[More sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: 'What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... Biggus...'
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
Pontius Pilate: 'He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks.'
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: More Lore to SS13?

Post by bandit » #19799

"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #19800

For /tg/station, the basic lore is extremely good. It gives you freedom if you actually want to roleplay, and you can ignore it and everything would still make sense.

The main focus of the station is research, considering most traitor objectives involve stealing research items, or security items. Mostly plasma research.

It's generally accepted that at the end of every round, a reclaim team is sent in to make it good as new.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19801

Damn! How did I miss that in the wiki? Thanks for the link!

But still I would like to here anyone's Ideas on extra lore to the SS13 universe!
Pontius Pilate: 'I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...'
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: 'What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... Biggus...'
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
Pontius Pilate: 'He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks.'
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #19802

To cut down on metagaming, I've settled on the idea that SS13's story only happens once, just in several different ways. The tragic retelling and reinterpretations of 2555's Titanic in Space.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #19807

Ikarrus wrote:To cut down on metagaming, I've settled on the idea that SS13's story only happens once, just in several different ways. The tragic retelling and reinterpretations of 2555's Titanic in Space.
That's a pretty neat interpretation of SS13. No one really knows what happened on the Space Station, it just wend down hill, and we're just telling one of many retellings of its what happened. Did it blow up, or was it just evacuated since everyone finally got bored?

On the other topic slightly, I did toy around with expanding the SS13 lore somewhat, but eh. People seem to both pretend the lore does not exist and vigorously defend any attempt to alter it at the same time.
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #19810

Groundhog day.

Except there will never ever be a perfect day. Remember, once you're here, you're here forever.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #19811

It's not the same day over and over again, that would negate the centcom map backstory with the mass cloners. Obviously, it's different days with the same crew (more or less). You're allowed to remember previous shifts so why pretend they didn't happen. There is a ton of backstory for SS13, even from a /tg/ perspective. Heck, metastation was/is supposed to be in the future after boxstation. It is supposed to have a box station derilict but metacide never got around to it. Of course, this all speculative backstory. It seems only the wiki is official. Excuse the grammar/spelling, phone typing
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #19813

The wiki isn't official. It's written up and edited by random players.

The only thing that is official is what is in game and whatever is enforced by server rules.. Everything else is headcanon.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #19816

>Deep in space in distant orbit of a nearby gas giant that exhibits strange properties, Space Station 13 was built. Only the most professional of experts and personnel have been staffed here and its secrecy of construction and location guarantee it to be a safe and productive experience.

Only the most professional of experts and personnel have been staffed

Wut

A courteous and helpful security staff!

PPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT hahahaha
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #19817

We create the story as we go. Personally I like the idea that its a story being told over and over again "I heard that what happened at SS13 was..."

Feel free to visit the Roleplay section and create some more backstory! Who knows I might end up on the wiki one day...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #19818

srifenbyxp wrote: A courteous and helpful security staff!

I think that backstory is supposed to be a little tongue in cheek.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #19822

The deepest lore
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #19827

peoplearestrange wrote:
srifenbyxp wrote: A courteous and helpful security staff!

I think that backstory is supposed to be a little tongue in cheek.
It reads like a sales pitch. Intentionally I'd assume.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19828

what game are you guys playing? SS13 has always been know for the nice and respectful crew
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #19831

The assistants are known for being competent, nice, and actually wanting to help you most of the time!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #19839

"It is the 26st Century. For more than a hundred years the CEO of Nanotrasen has sat immobile on the Money Pile of Centcomm. He is the master of mankind by the will of the board of directors and master of a million shitholes by the might of his inexhaustible monies. He is a lardass writhing invisibly with wealth from the Great Depression. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Corporation of Man for whom a thousand spacemans are sacrificed every day so that his wealth may ever increase. Yet even in his wealthy state, the CEO continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the clown-infested miasma of transit, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by their navigation systems. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Captains, the Comdoms, bio-engineered super-shitlords. Their comrades in arms are legion: shitcurity and countless vigilantes, the ever-vigilant validhunters and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Powergamicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, syndies, clowns -- and far, far worse. To be a spesshman in such times is to be one amongst a billion. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those shifts. Forget the power of reason and common sense, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of fun and balance, for in the grim dark future there is only honk. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting admins."
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #20126

Nanotrasen hire people to research plasma, everyone else tries to interfere.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #20131

I like that the "official" backstory is intentionally quite vague. Partially the thing is nobody on the station really knows what's going on with anything, especially Nanotrasen itself and the global galactic scene. Shit, for all we know Nanotrasen is the North Korea of the universe and we're all brainwashed clones using ancient, shitty technology. Not having a huge multi-page lore makes the game easy to jump into for newbies since they can pick up the lore really fast. Being scarce on the predefined lore allows lots of freedom for everyone involved to think, say, and act (roleplay!) however and whoever they want. For example if a wizard appears they could say they hate Nanotrasen with a passion for any or no stated reason whatsoever. They could say they were hired by Centcomm to ship a bunch of guns to the crew. They could say the Space Wizard Federation sent them or that they're acting on their own.

And that's just wizards! Even regular crew have wiggle room out the ass. If you want to float more lore ideas, go ahead, but don't expect everyone to agree on it being official unless it's REALLY good and impossible to argue with. Lore changes can also be used to solve real gameplay problems. For example, we could add a bit like "All wizards hate Nanotrasen" as a reasoning to ban peacewizards, if peacewizards are something we decide to ban. Or whatever, peacewizards was just a random example.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20439

Violaceus wrote:I remember there is ridicoulously complicated graph of NT structure, somewhere on baystation wiki.
Your referring to the original SS13 backstory written up a long time ago.

Fortunately Goonstation still keeps a copy of this.

http://wiki.ss13.co/Old_Storyline

The TL;DR of is:

- The United States is the primary leader in space based initiatives, referred to as the USSP (United States Space Program).

- The Inter-Solar - Exploration and Research Initiative (IS-ERI) are the primary exploriaton group of the USSP.

- Space Station 13 was constructed by the IS-ERI in cooperation with Nanotrasen, a subsidiary of the Expert Advisors Group (A corporation specializing in technology, and the largest one at that).

- SS13 was constructed around a distant planet called "Centration" where plasma was dicoverd.

- More complex and indepth lore information.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #20602

There isn't any official backstory for ss13, all of them are fanfictions, people edited the wiki changing the history a bunch of times with their own stuff, even deleting universes that other people created to implement their own. But it's just fanfiction on the wiki.
I accept donations, click here
OtherDalfite
Byond Username: OtherDalfite

Post by OtherDalfite » #20606

Here's the original SS13 backstory written by Exadv1 himself.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20607

OtherDalfite wrote:Here's the original SS13 backstory written by Exadv1 himself.

I literally posted that two posts above yours.

As far as "official lore" is concerned, I would think this lore would be considered to be the most "cannon" of the whole lot. But really though it comes down to what each playerbase goes with, and ours goes with the one linked near the top of this thread.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #20779

I treat the lore as a conspiracy because really if you look at blueprints the name is always different each round. ( there is code for random station names since at least goon ) and take that as the form that we are not on SS13 but a psycological testing station with a mish mash of technology and other stuff ( eg traitors blobs aliens etc) so Nanotrasen can increase safety and security on their real stations. They are a giant mega corp and this would be a effective cheap way to test things in a enclosed area seperated from external sources. Space wizards i just deem as people who found this out ages ago and made some tech to hide from nanotrasen and are trying to damage the testing somehow..