General SS13 Chat
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Re: spooky russian codebase

Post by Slignerd » #333244

Bottom post of the previous page:

PKPenguin321 wrote:and... LATE-2014-LEVEL RESPONSIVENESS WITH 2012-LEVEL FRAMERATE
PKPenguin321 wrote:[youtube]LrPnY6p--2Y[/youtube]
dropped
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #333250

stoovan wrote: Look at lifeweb
Ugh, I'd really rather not.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #333251

This Russian Station thing is essentially a less grimdark version of Lifeweb's Orbital Station 13 game mode.

I still have the Russian Station map half finished somewhere on my Computer. I'll still be up to finish it if multi-zlevels are fully implemented.
mattroks101
Byond Username: Mattroks101

Post by mattroks101 » #333366

Steelpoint wrote:This Russian Station thing is essentially a less grimdark version of Lifeweb's Orbital Station 13 game mode.

I still have the Russian Station map half finished somewhere on my Computer. I'll still be up to finish it if multi-zlevels are fully implemented.
If we're still talking about Eris Station, now called Discordia for some reason, which is what that video is of, then no, it's not. The fact that you would even say that tells me you have either never played this codebase, or never played Orbital Station 13 because other then having multiz these two "Russian stations" could not be more far apart. Eris is about a corporate merchant ship, who's security is hired mercenaries, that flies around the galaxy doing SS13 shit. OS13 is about a space station who's crew wakes up 300 years later than they're supposed to, and now have to survive as their station is falling apart, there's a traitor who has to accomplish his 300 year old orders, and the fortress down below is preparing to invade them.

OS13 is all about a broken, fractured space station crew trying to survive a harsh environment and repair their station, while Eris is about dealing with internal staff strife and potential outward threats while they sail the galaxy. It's not even that Eris is a less grimdark OS13, Eris isn't grimdark at all, all of Eris's themes were strictly neon cyberpunk, not grimdark. I know all this because I've been an active developer for Eris in the past, and while I don't actively code for the codebase anymore I still hang around with the developers.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #457328

Ancient revive is ancient.

Since progress is now actually being made on multi-zlevel support (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/40428). I've revived my mapping project of porting this station to tgstation.

Had to start from scratch but I've finished the layout of the first level of the station. For reference, this station has five levels in total.

This will be a very odd station to play on, but it'll make a nice showcase of multi dimensional station layouts.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #457391

Steelpoint wrote:Ancient revive is ancient.

Since progress is now actually being made on multi-zlevel support (https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/40428). I've revived my mapping project of porting this station to tgstation.

Had to start from scratch but I've finished the layout of the first level of the station. For reference, this station has five levels in total.

This will be a very odd station to play on, but it'll make a nice showcase of multi dimensional station layouts.
can't wait. multi z is gonna be crazy, to date it's my most anticipated feature
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #457394

I've been playing Eris, the ruskies have an English server up occasionally now. They're quite helpful and friendly
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #457438

Eris does look interesting. However I hope to avoid some of the pitfalls they have, like how their armoury has more guns than God and puts the Nuke Ops to shame (four Ion Guns, half a dozen fully automatic ballistic guns, etc, etc)
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #457445

Also, here's the overview of the 1st level of the station as it stands.
Spoiler:
Note, the yellow stripes you see in maint are intended to represent guard rails.

For those concerned, I'll worry about balance concerns after the fact.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #457565

Those are the old sprites, they've overhauled a lot since then. Plus Eris are more concerned with PvE than PvP and most everyone as some kind of holdout gun on them at bare minimum.
Cloning also doesn't exist yet, but when it does it's only for the Christians.

They make great use of multi-z, their AI core looks pretty great by having the AI upload on a suspended platform above it and the AI core itself hanging in the middle.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #457570

Indeed, their station takes great advantage of the multi-z concept. Hence I think it'd be a nice addition to our roster should we get multi-z. Their AI upload is indeed a beautiful sight to behold.

There are indeed some concerns in transitioning the station to tgstation. But those should be easy to resolve and any obvious balance issues would become apparent during dedicated people playing it on the server.

I've practically finished the first level of the station, I'll have to consider adding some new concepts to flesh the station, such as proper maintenance random 'junk' spawners to make maint more littered (whereas the current main junk spawner might also spawn grilles), as well as other random spawns such as random crates, random tools, etc, etc. Rail guards are also going to be mandatory to ensure people don't fall down two or so levels, I might have to enlist help in that regard but that'll be a project should multi-z ever get off the ground.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #461576

Well, we now have multi-zlevel support, so I'll be working more on the map. No guarantees.

However it only really supports movement via ladders. No stairs or akin, also no moving disposals, air, power and akin. So until those get in we won't really see the system taken great advantage of.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #461609

I was considering making a simple 2zlevel map where one level has all the shuttles and the ai core and minor stuff like that, but most stuff is on the upper level. I wonder how hard it'd be to get glass flooring, that would make things very interesting.