Dead game series

Talk about video games here
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Re: Dead game series

Post by Durkel » #315608

Bottom post of the previous page:

Rip Command and conquer series.

Not only did you die by the hands of EA they made sure to rape your bloody corpse until the last breath.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #316017

>there will never be another game where the final boss of new game+ is your character from the previous playthrough

feels bad man

[youtube]mCHuR7CMh40[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #318266

CosmicScientist wrote:
Durkel wrote:Rip Command and conquer series.

Not only did you die by the hands of EA they made sure to rape your bloody corpse until the last breath.
It feels as though RTS games are dead, the only exceptions being a 40K downgrade and a not-40K surviving on table scraps left behind by an MMO and crate micro transactions. =(

RIP Empire Earth. You were mediocre and died from a premature, underdeveloped birth of your third generation.
The last RTS I remember being announced was the Age of Empires (one) HD remake, of all things.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318392

XSI wrote:You say that, but having played both I liked the first better

Didn't even bother to finish portal 2 personally, just couldn't give enough of a shit
It's not a very long game, XSI
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #318484

PKPenguin321 wrote:
XSI wrote:You say that, but having played both I liked the first better

Didn't even bother to finish portal 2 personally, just couldn't give enough of a shit
It's not a very long game, XSI
Yeah, but I wasn't very interested either
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #318690

ACTUAL unpopular opinion:

Ratchet and Clank is dead as far as I'm concerned

After Tools of Destruction they lost any semblance of the original PS2 games, and the remake is a travesty on any level that isn't graphics

The interesting gameplay that made you consider what weapon was right for the situation is completely gone and replaced with a bunch of cookie cutter samey weapons that fulfill the obligatory roles of "basic pistol, grenade weapon, big rocket launcher, sniper rifle, shield, mirderous drone(s)"

Mr. Zurkon is unfunny trash

The remake was disgustingly stupid in plot - it makes little sense without watching the movie, but the key issue is how ratchet and clanks relationship was handled

In ratchet 2/3/etc they were friends because they earned that friendship in the original game - they fucking fought and shit on eachother until they grew and became genuine friends

The remake is "hi I'm ratchet you're clank we're literally best friends forever" despite nothing of significance happening - they don't even interact with eachother, in the og game they would banter with eachother and npcs, but that's 100% gone

there's no depth or substance to the remake, it's entirely flashy stuff that masks the flawed game underneath - it would be a passable game without the IP but consisering the widespread critical acclaim it's gotten I'm afraid for the series as a whole
Limey wrote:its too late.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #318707

Qbopper wrote:ACTUAL unpopular opinion:

After Tools of Destruction they lost any semblance of the original PS2 games, and the remake is a travesty on any level that isn't graphics

The interesting gameplay that made you consider what weapon was right for the situation is completely gone and replaced with a bunch of cookie cutter samey weapons that fulfill the obligatory roles of "basic pistol, grenade weapon, big rocket launcher, sniper rifle, shield, mirderous drone(s)"

The remake was disgustingly stupid in plot - it makes little sense without watching the movie, but the key issue is how ratchet and clanks relationship was handled

In ratchet 2/3/etc they were friends because they earned that friendship in the original game - they fucking fought and shit on eachother until they grew and became genuine friends

The remake is "hi I'm ratchet you're clank we're literally best friends forever" despite nothing of significance happening - they don't even interact with eachother, in the og game they would banter with eachother and npcs, but that's 100% gone

there's no depth or substance to the remake, it's entirely flashy stuff that masks the flawed game underneath - it would be a passable game without the IP but consisering the widespread critical acclaim it's gotten I'm afraid for the series as a whole
[youtube]3kD_QhYgIA4[/youtube]

I've watched this video in its entirety.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #318767

monster hunter lol
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #318812

lntigracy wrote:
Qbopper wrote:ACTUAL unpopular opinion:

[youtube]3kD_QhYgIA4[/youtube]

I've watched this video in its entirety.
is this the shitty one with the brit who yells a lot and lights that poster/stand thing on fire, ironically exemplifying the shitty humor that he criticized in the video? because i watched all of that one and regret it

listening for 5 seconds didn't make my head want to explode so I don't think it is
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319132

i dont feel like inserting replies into a quote

holy fuck a gun that changed things into their models from the original game would have been hilarious

>bad controls
what

in what universe does r&c have bad controls

later games had more and more awful characters yeah no arguing there, I appreciated the characters in the og trilogy though

crack in time is usually considered the magnum opus but imo it's when the series completely abandoned any pretense of being like the old games :(

size matters was ok, as a psp game it was fun to have r&c on the go but i've heard bad things about the ps2 port which I haven't played

I have no idea how they managed to run out of weapon ideas for the remake, they've at least added one or two interesting guns to each game, but the remake just gives up

I don't want the series to be dead but I don't want the series to continue in the remake's direction because then it's dead with no chance of revival
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319274

commando did have strafing

I'm like 99% certain that in every game past 3 the devs were trying to tell you SWITCH TO LOCKSTRAFE MODE FUCKWIT but I didn't anyways

I really don't remember anything killing me in 1/2 hits, were you not buying armor or something? I mean obviously you don't remember but I just finished another 100% rerun of the old trilogy and that never really happens

I hated crack because it felt like it completely abandoned any pretense of some of the old game's important features - it had planet hopping, bolt collecting, and upgrading weapons, but

- it felt like it lost all non-linearity (the old games were still linear but you had multiple choices for planets and they all had multiple paths, and you were never quite sure which was the required one for story progression)
- it lost any of the "edginess" it originally had and became pretty much entirely kid friendly - beyond the title I can't remember any risque jokes or anything like that
- it completely removed any of the satire elements of the original games and lost its original sense of humor

that last one is a big one imo

the original game was heavy on the jabs at consumerist society and capitalism - you had to pay for literally everything. there's a segment where you literally save a guys life and his response is "hey i'll sell you these at cost" before he runs the fuck away, that sorta shit was funny and it felt like it tied nicely into the gameplay loop of "fuck up literally everything and steal money from it all in order to get more shit to fuck things up with"

the second and third dialed back a little bit but they still had a slightly darker/strange sense of humor that wasn't the current level of "haha random ecks dee" - like, it's implied that the reason ratchet can strafe in the second game is because he was given "ballroom dancing" in his commando training, but more importantly the jokes aren't obnoxious - the original joke was an "arson/murder/jaywalking" style gag where someone lists off ratchet's training, so he's doing serious commando shit followed by ballroom dancing and origami

the remake, if it had to do that joke, would give us a cutscene showing him fucking around with weaponry and spaceships, followed by an obnoxious cutaway to ratchet dancing or some shit like that

also I know you just bashed the galactic rangers, but I personally found it fucking funny as shit that the person who created robots that were literally designed to protect the galaxy were hard-wired to be cowards - whereas the remake just turns the galactic rangers (maybe they had a different name) into generic goody two shoes superheroes and strips away all personality

there's no subtlety or anything to the humor and it's annoying

the original games weren't always perfect and relied on dick humor a lot (personal crotchetizer) but they felt like they had some soul - the newer games just feel sterile, especially when you compare dialogue between ratchet/clank and other characters - but that's mentioned in the video above I think
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319384

wlecome to r&c general

oh shit I'm retarded there WAS a huge difficulty spike in 3 after the tyrrahnoids became robots, you're totally right

in 3 there was the galactic rangers who were just the robot soldier dudes, the team you're thinking of was the q-force or some shit like that

they outright didn't include like ANY old characters but big al, qwark, skidd, and the plumber in the remake - everyone else is gone and it pisses me off, and they brought them back for 3 just to have a team of recurring characters I guess? not sure, but they do actually see use, skidd helps you through one level, helga gives you the shit in the vr training, stuff like that

fwiw regarding the satire it always went over my head until a few years ago, actually - it probably shaped my worldview slightly when I played as a child, but it never clicked that it was a big theme until recently, so it's not obnoxiously beating you over the head with a message, yeah

the fact that I can write so much about this series despite never having examined them super in depth makes it so much worse that the remake is so damn lame
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319414

he actually did help by using the hacker on aquatos though

I fucking loved 2/3, the mix of orchestral and electronic elements isn't done often enough
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #319446

The music score changes are one of the biggest travesties in the travesty that is the RnC remake.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #319497

lntigracy wrote:The music score changes are one of the biggest travesties in the travesty that is the RnC remake.
right? I could at least grudgingly appreciate the remake if it had any of the substance of the OG tracks but they went form some of the most recognizable pieces in an OST to generic orchestral trash

I used to change the audio balance to be music at 100% and sounds at like 60% but I nearly turned the music off in the remake because it was so aggressively mediocre