System Shock 3

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

System Shock 3

Post by DrPillzRedux » #281650

After being scrapped a while ago, Prey 2 is finally coming.

You play as a human test subject on a Space Station on/near/whatever Earth's moon. You smash out of your containment and find mostly everyone is dead, eaten by aliens. These aliens mimic objects, creatures, and other spooky shit. Your goal is to fix your fucked memory and find a way out on a dead ship. Combat is gun and melee focused, with stamina for melee weapons being a thing. Enemies seem to damage you quite a bit, so choosing when to fight and run is a feature. You can develop your test subject abilities to do funky things, such as taking the shape of objects just like the aliens. The game also features loads of intractable elements such as computers to help develop the world, and puzzles to slow you down.

All the trailers and interviews so far show they want to try and mindfuck you. As you progress, you have to make choices, defining what kind of person you are. This changes dialogue and story elements, supposedly. How you make your build also affects the world. If you invest heavily into Alien powers, the station will see you as a threat, more aliens will come after you, and a boss designed to hunt you will appear more often.

Prey 2 is coming out on PC and consoles May 5th.

Unfortunately, these are the same guys who made Dishonored 2, which has huge PC issues. The demo for the game is also not coming on PC.

[youtube]1hKTZGflqrc[/youtube]
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Thu May 04, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: System Shock 3

Post by Armhulen » #281652

I don't think they could make more boring enemies if they tried. Black humaniods, really?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #281660

>Watch a PREY video literally yesterday
>Some guy in the comments bemoaning the lack of a sequel
>This thread appears

I'm a god
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #282072

Really not a lot of gameplay that isn't normies getting scared by the little facehuggers that shapeshift as objects to hide and ambush you repeatedly.

[youtube]GSkHhJnvc_g[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #282112

I don't really like it, just promotes spending 15 minutes in each room smacking objects, looking for
Armhulen wrote:I don't think they could make more boring enemies if they tried. Black humaniods, really?
these dudes
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #282238

gonna wait for it to come out and judge it myself because my god every single gameplay feature so far has been played by a dead monkey
Limey wrote:its too late.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #284169

[youtube]Qog1wFb0dvY[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288330

This is out on Friday. The demo is available on consoles for free. I'll post here on how well it runs for me.

According to reviews of the demo, people love how many ways you can solve one problem and the open environment.

[youtube]1hKTZGflqrc[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #288434

It's pretty bad because the enemy is boring and the gameplay is a chore
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #288443

CosmicScientist wrote:Wait so it's a shooter?

I don't geddit.

I want to understand because Sci-Fi.
???
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #288455

if i wanted to shoot blacks i'd join the KKK
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288473

It actually runs great on PC, but lacks an FoV slider. You can change your FoV in the config file though.
Armhulen wrote:It's pretty bad because the enemy is boring and the gameplay is a chore
Have you played it?

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #288501

bman wrote:if i wanted to shoot blacks i'd join the KKK
what a great post
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288504

I'm just gonna use a VPN to play now.

and be the first to upload the music

[youtube]A42bJJxa8xg[/youtube]

Edit: the game autopauses if you alt-tab, brilliant

So far it's pretty good. I'm on normal and combat is something I want to avoid since getting hit tends to take 1/5 to 1/4 of my HP. Been spending all my upgrade points to get advanced hacking and sneak skills.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #288564

bman wrote:if i wanted to shoot blacks i'd join the KKK
underrated post
crack is whack but smacks got your back
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288579

I feel like the enemy design is the weakest part of the game. It's a shame because of how dangerous they actually are. Whenever I see a phantom (humanoid one) I hate my life because they fuck you up so fast. I fought a miniboss that was just a giant floating crystal with tentacles. It made turrets float and hacked them so it could use them on me. It also gave me a Fear debuff, so I had to use booze to nullify that for part of the fight.

3 hours in now and I'm still at the beginning looking around and exploring. This game captures that loneliness from System Shock and just how fucked you are. The crosshair placement is fucking awful though. Instead of being in the center of the screen like every other FPS, it's down from where you'd think it would be. At least the game runs at 60 FPS on max.

This is probably the closest we'll see to an actual System Shock game again. No health regen, no aiming down sights, and you can skip entire sections of the game if you platform or use abilities right.

also autismal inventory manager

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #288677

DrPillzRedux wrote:I feel like the enemy design is the weakest part of the game. It's a shame because of how dangerous they actually are. Whenever I see a phantom (humanoid one) I hate my life because they fuck you up so fast. I fought a miniboss that was just a giant floating crystal with tentacles. It made turrets float and hacked them so it could use them on me. It also gave me a Fear debuff, so I had to use booze to nullify that for part of the fight.

3 hours in now and I'm still at the beginning looking around and exploring. This game captures that loneliness from System Shock and just how fucked you are. The crosshair placement is fucking awful though. Instead of being in the center of the screen like every other FPS, it's down from where you'd think it would be. At least the game runs at 60 FPS on max.
what kinda gpu have you got? also wew lad halo crosshair placement

I'm sold, though, I'll have to pick it up eventually
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288686

970. The game is actually EXTREMELY well optimized. You have to have a literal potato for it to run bad. The controls are also not shoddy console port-ish. I'm very impressed with what they've done.

The game can run at steady 60 FPS on 4K resolution with a single regular GTX 1080. This is just unheard of.

This first table is running at 1080p, the second is 4K.

As for gameplay, I now have the headgear that lets you scan. I've upgraded it so that it will highlight mimic's pretending to be objects when I have it on. This lets me continue being sneeki breeki spessman. Currently I'm out of ammo for my guns, only have gloo and foam darts for my toy crossbow that you use to draw enemies away from you. I used all of it on the last mini-boss. Resources are fucking tight so I can't craft any more.

Also, there are so many cool little things. Enemies that EMP you will disable your gun screen so you can't tell how much ammo is left. You can use the foam crossbow to not only distract enemies, but shoot it at touch screen to activate them from a distance. Tons of little secrets you can use the gloo gun to get to. Pretty much every object in the environment is able to be picked up and thrown, or used for some silly thing (like playing a bass in the captain's room).

Here's a gallery of screenshots I've taken.

http://imgur.com/a/i08wx

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #288717

I have a 760 so odds aren't in my favor

glad to hear they actually lived up to the "can I do this? oh shit I can" thing though, I love games that do that
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288719

According to /v/ it runs well fine on a 660. I wouldn't give up hope.

Also holy shit shock phantoms are cancer. Want to use guns? Fuck you, get close and it jams your guns. Enjoy using your wrench.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288801

When you get too close to enemies it adds motion blur. Some attacks also cause it. It's from the fear debuff, which also causes color changes, bloom, and other stuff to make you want to keep your distance. If you drink alcohol it's severely lessened.

The game really tries to sway you from being an up close rambo. Fear basically acts like a suppression system from Battlefield.
Spoiler:
tfw you do the long quest of just getting the fuck out on your brothers escape pod and it's a game over screen

a correct post by pillz
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #288822

in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288823

I'm in end-game and holy shit, there's so much stuff opening up regarding the ending. It's getting hype as fuck.
Spoiler:
I saved the black doctor and your ex-girlfriend, and now the military has taken over the station. I can choose to go non-lethal on their commander. I can also choose between blowing everything up or genociding the aliens somehow.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #288832

Just a heads up, if you care about the ending, you might want to make certain choices. There are quite a few.

Also, good review of Prey.

[youtube]Ae4zNB9CYsg[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #290250

I have shilled so hard that upgradecap and quanti bought it. I win.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #292070

>IGN reviewer had a bug where his save file got corrupted, which was a rare bug
>gives it a 4/10 because of the bug despite that being the only technical issue
>same guy gave Fallout 4 a 9.5

Meanwhile, Quanti and I had no issues at all, and upgradecap is still going through his first run at over 40 hours. Amazing.

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #292072

>ign
there's your problem stupid ligger
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #292082

game is good
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #292094

for once I agree with intig

This guy originally said Prey was okay at best, then changed his mind after playing it again.

[youtube]1-JVa6BuewQ[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #292644

I've played it to completion, gonna do the Human-only neuromod/Alien-only neuromod run.

Also the Q-beam becomes the best weapon in the game at the end because vulnerable enemy type + plentiful ammo
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #293408

Typhoon-only neurmod playthrough is hard, I have now binded quick-save and quick-load to some quickly pressable keys.

Also Mimic Matter is so robust goddamn. You don't take health damage while mimicked, can mimic turrets and operators and be able to shoot/attack as them. Plus Operators can fly
Quanti
Byond Username: Killaslot

Post by Quanti » #293418

I'm about to attempt that next along with kill all humans. I imagine the health regen on taking damage would help a lot and not having hacking/lifting to get all that phat loot would be PAINFUL.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #293421

You have to get really creative on using typhoon powers to get loot. Mimic matter can get you through small spaces, remote manipulation can let you grab and interact with things from a distance and the Huntress Boltcaster can be used to open doors if you have a clear angle. Recylcers can get rid of barricades though so I always carry a few for them. You have a very small inventory so you need to learn how to prioritize. Exotic matter's main use for me is to make psi hypos.

Not being able to hack or lift is suffering. The G.U.T.S area was tricky to figure out as before I'd just hack the keypad locked door. The way around it is to toss an EMP into the giant fan to the side of it and fly through to the other side.

Also, if you're going to do human-only, get a LOT of Nullwave grenades. It is the only way you're ever going to disable enemy abilities and
Spoiler:
telepaths
are extremely difficult to kill without disabling their psi abilities. Their mechanical counterpart can be disabled with EMPs . You shouldn't have to worry about a certain enemy on a Human-only playthrough but you'll see them a lot if you're typhoon-only so make sure you get good at hiding.
Quanti

Post by Quanti » #293428

I actually played human only on my first playthrough, nullwaves and EMP grenades were useful early on but once you've started upgrading a disrupter and a shotgun you don't even need anything else. Enemies get staggered by the shotgun so the strategy is to walk up close and unload until their dead and they can barely retaliate until you either run out of ammo or they die. Even nightmares can't stand up to this but they'll still deal a fair amount of damage and standing close to electric/thermal enemies tends to be pretty painful. Disrupter is obviously super powered against mechanical enemies. Once you get 200 health you're very hard to kill and then at 300 there's no reason you'd ever die.

I never thought about using recyclers to clear out debris though fuck that would've saved me a lot of backtracking.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #293434

Yeah recyclers are a lot more useful than I gave them credit for initially. They can even recycle radioactive debris for those areas that're blocked off by it, like in the G.U.T.S where Daniel Walton's(?) body is.

I've found metal is the most valuable material to get as it's used in almost everything, so you should try to use your recyclers to get as much of it as possible. I never ran out of anything else
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #293446

>not doing no powerups run

a correct post by pillz
Quanti

Post by Quanti » #293451

>being a lizard