Dawn of War 3: Tipsy Marine MOBA

Talk about video games here
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Re: Dawn of War 3: Tipsy Marine MOBA

Post by XSI » #283876

CosmicScientist wrote: [*]It's a MOBA + RTS
And dropped
They tried to downplay the moba part when I checked but from what friends told me of it already it seems it's mostly moba shit
Disgusting, but not unexpected
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #283911

God dammit why can't I find a good RTS other than SC2?

Edit: Isn't a "RTS with MOBA elements" basically Warcraft 3? Maybe this will be worthwhile
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #283999

Okay, so the more I consider a "MOBA-like RTS" the more I warm up to the idea. Warcraft 3 spawned the whole genre, and it managed to be a great RTS while still being very much hero-based. I'm cautiously optimistic for this.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #284000

CosmicScientist wrote:hero "Elite" units with buttons to press
90% of the units in DoW always had buttons to press.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #284027

I'll wait until I can see final opinions about this, so far, I dislike what I'm seeing.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #284089

Reminds me of the custom hero units in Battle for Middle Earth 2/RotWK

Shame the beta wont let you play against AI for whatever reason though, I dont want to fumble through relearning this stuff vs real people.

Animations look weird as well.

Taldeer coming back as a wraith knight is super cool.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #284092

CosmicScientist wrote:muh moba
Is Warcraft 3 a moba? It has heroes, with skills, resources and even items!
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
XSI

Post by XSI » #284130

The heroes shit was the worst part of Warcraft 3
Only good thing about those was that they were a tool custom map makers could use to make interesting things. And even then most good stuff avoided using heroes for much
Quanti
Byond Username: Killaslot

Post by Quanti » #284292

CosmicScientist wrote:Gorgutz
are they ever going to kill this motherfucker

as for the rest of the post it sounds like you're just not used to playing rts with higher levels of micro and macro. I'm not either it's stressful as fuck i only like facing bots
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #284367

CosmicScientist wrote:I never played Warcraft because Blizzard a shit.

Back to seriousness and DoW3. Played a game with a mate. Played Orkz and chriiiist alive. Whilst they have a fun and unique mechanic involving scrap... uh, well I assume all factions are like this. There's too much going on. Everything demands your attention at all times. It's like Battlefleet Gothic Armada but there is no autocast. I guess the games have always been like this (as with any RTS with units with buttons to press) but... christ. I guess I personally don't want to bother because I don't want to build a building, build a listening post, upgrade my req and power gain, recruit units, tell those units to upgrade with scrap (or click their upgrade buttons, depending on faction I guess), see how much req and power I have, figure things out. Blargh. The game is noisy, busy, confusing.

Of course this was my first game so of course I'm going to be overloaded but, uh.

Right. I don't know how to explain. It's noisy. I can't see what's going on unless I focus. Everything moves, excited, the little animations are amusing and childish. Everything is hyper accentuated. If I enjoy what I'm watching, I'm not thinking about clicking the upgrade buttons on buildings, on resource nodes. I forget about my buildings that upgrade all my units. I hear all the colourful voices. I see all the pretty lights. I get into a battle. I smash them up. I plough on to their three phase ancient thing. I ignore their resource nodes because christ if I do that I'll lose my advantage and who gives a sod about economy? Mine is fine! I want to romp! Oh my army got wiped. Oh I just told Gorgutz to run away I'll remember him later maybe and see he got away on the tiddliest bit of health. Time to just order in a bunch of new units... uh... uh... click buttons... do faction mechanics with scrap. Oh I lost a node? Wait they're attacking my turret, what happened to my shield? Maybe someone said something about that, I don't know!

DoW1 was sorta fast. 2 was a little more slow. Auto-reinforce squads is not a thing anymore, so you have to tap tap tap the button (or do what I do and not bother with getting squads out since the retreat button is gone too).

Maybe if I play a few more games I'll learn what I'm doing but... I imagine I'll tell units to attack move, click on my main hero, use their abilities and micro them whilst occasionally swapping to my second hero to use their abilities and just letting my third autoattack. Then I'll find out I have a bunch of resources to spend and feel as though the game's far too fast for me.

I guess RTS isn't my genre?
Never play Starcraft 2, it might actually kill you
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286474

Reviews for this are all over the place. Has anyone gotten a chance to play it since release?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #286626

Warhammer video games are all shit, blame Games Workshop.

Although Vermintide was okay.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
XSI

Post by XSI » #286819

Vermintide would have been good without the Warhammer sauce though

The warhammer fluff does help for the marketing, but it's a solid game that would work without it
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286832

General consensus I'm hearing is that the game has potential, but is in dire need of rebalancing and tweaking. So basically like Civilization V at launch. I'll probably get this at some point, but I'm going to wait for it to get fleshed out more.
XSI

Post by XSI » #286864

No, that's definitely strong appeal and why Warhammer games still sell even if they're not that good gameplay wise

I was just saying that the gameplay in Vermintide could have worked perfectly fine without the warhammer bit to it. Though I do admit that without it it would probably be a pretty obscure title that nobody really cared that much about getting only mediocre sales instead of enough sales to justify 3, and soon a fourth DLC
Think Space Beast Terror Fright levels of sales and popularity- Very popular among small amounts of people, yet not selling enough that it's a thing the average game enthusiast will have heard of or owns.
And that's also why GW is still in business, they may fuck up a lot, but the Warhammer/Warhammer 40k settings are popular and good enough to keep things selling and to keep funding their burning money piles
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #286959

Vermintide is the first game I have played that made blunt weapons like warhammers feel effective to use, in Bethesda games and mount and blade they just feel like foam bats that make people fall over
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster