Github Username: Qbopper

STRAFE - GOTY 1996

Post by Qbopper » #292734

So a fucking LOT of people hate this game and I don't know why

Meme trailer:

[youtube]MB08JWKVf_A[/youtube]

Gameplay trailer:

[youtube]4vPWnivuaZc[/youtube]

It's a roguelite FPS with a fucking shitload of throwback gags and references to 90s shooters and culture, along with some more obscure secrets that reference more recent games - it had a pretty decent marketing campaign (apparently, anyways - I didn't think it was that funny myself), but when the game came out people were outraged that the game didn't play ala Quake/Doom/etc. (along with a gimmick preorder bonus weapon that literally just rolls the credits and sends you to the main menu). I don't like the "you're just not understanding what the developers intended" shtick but it's really true in this case - this game is a roguelite first. Don't go in expecting a return to Quake 1/2 or you'll be disappointed. If you're like me and enjoy roguelikes/lites, but you're trash at anything that isn't a FPS, you'll probably love this game. Essentially, there's 4 zones, and premade rooms are strung together randomly each run, along with items, stat boosts, health pickups, etc. etc.

Some of the criticisms are pretty valid (the gun sounds in particular aren't very meaty, imo), but the patch released on the 10th fixes a lot of issues I had (fall damage got a heavy nerf, better sound mixing, stuff like that) and the game is a lot of fun, even if it's certainly not perfect - the devs have gone on record saying they're committed to post launch updates and they even give you a feedback email when you first launch the game to yell at them with.

I wrote a bigass Steam guide if you own the game and want tips, or if you find something I don't have listed you can tell me and I'll add it

EDIT: just wanted to share this because I laughed too damn hard - the tutorial starts with a VHS quality FMV, filter and all - it switches to footage of gameplay and then asks you to move the mouse. You know how in Bioshock most people shit their pants when they realize the cutscene is over and they can actually swim? that was me during this, it was fucking incredible - the filter stays on throughout the entire tutorial as if this is still VHS footage
Limey wrote:its too late.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: STRAFE - GOTY 1996

Post by Shaps-cloud » #292736

The game is definitely more rogue like than it is a 90's shooter, but I'm still finding a fair amount of enjoyment in it, though we'll see how long that lasts
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292749

it doesn't quite have the sheer amount of shit that a game like BoI does to keep people playing forever, so hopefully they drop content patches

I find it cathartic to shoot shit and listen to the awesome soundtrack so I dunno I'm strange I guess
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #292752

Shaps-cloud wrote:The game is definitely more rogue like
Name one rogue-like element this game has, that is not randomized map or permadeath.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #292762

Lumbermancer wrote:
Name one rogue-like element this game has, that is not randomized map or permadeath.
You can find stat boosts by exploring the map and can purchase items/upgrades that affect how you play in stores
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #292763

Not a rogue like elements.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #292790

Lumbermancer wrote:Not a rogue like elements.
what does he mean by this
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #292794

He means that stores, upgrades and stat boosts have not originated in roguelike genre.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #292832

Lumbermancer wrote:He means that stores, upgrades and stat boosts have not originated in roguelike genre.
Pretty much. Those are just standard RPG mechanics. Rogue like would be things more along the lines of randomized levels, permadeath, and items that need to either be identified or used to figure out what they do (the latter of which may result in negative effects or even death)
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #292873

Lumbermancer wrote:
like it or not those are primary rogue like elements in the modern day
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #292875

*rips my actual pud off and dies of bloodloss at the mention of the word roguelite*
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292897

Kel wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:
like it or not those are primary rogue like elements in the modern day
^

I don't come up with the terms, I just use them to avoid being yelled at

speaking of
captain sawrge wrote:*rips my actual pud off and dies of bloodloss at the mention of the word roguelite*
if I say roguelike people actually send me death threats

ok it only happened once, but I usually get people SUPER MAD when I use roguelike if the game doesn't meet some invisible standard of "is a roguelike"

edit: my friend owes me $2 since I posted this and bet him it would get off topic IMMEDIATELY after my reply to shaos
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #292915

FPS RPG
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #292924

Kel wrote:like it or not those are primary rogue like elements in the modern day
No, I'm sorry. Game genres are not preferred pronouns. You don't get to mix and match.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #292926

Lumber most people who say rogue like or rogue lite have never played rogue or a game like it. Like it or not that is what the word means now
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #292929

But that doesn't mean this sentence:
Shaps-cloud wrote:The game is definitely more rogue like than it is a 90's shooter
is not completely false.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #292933

It's absolute shit.

Advertised as a 90's FPS like DOOM/QUAKE, the game misses every single checkmark box on those. It has reloads (extremely often), guns that do fuckall damage, fucking fall damage, barely any health pickups, and any gun you pick up after the starting room you use the one magazine you get with it then throw it away. Enemies have zero variation, and all they can do is run straight to you to smack you.

A complete waste of $20. There's a reason why everyone shits on it. If you want an FPS game that plays like a 1996 one, just play one that was made back then.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292982

Wyzack wrote:Like it or not that is what the word means now
"literally" has become meaningless, just like "meme"

you can argue semantics but it's not going to do much unfortunately
DrPillzRedux wrote:It's absolute shit.

Advertised as a 90's FPS like DOOM/QUAKE, the game misses every single checkmark box on those. It has reloads (extremely often), guns that do fuckall damage, fucking fall damage, barely any health pickups, and any gun you pick up after the starting room you use the one magazine you get with it then throw it away. Enemies have zero variation, and all they can do is run straight to you to smack you.

A complete waste of $20. There's a reason why everyone shits on it. If you want an FPS game that plays like a 1996 one, just play one that was made back then.
in order:
  • won't defend the marketing, they focused too much on the nostalgia bit which is a fraction of the game and it bit them in the ass and it was not at all worth it imo
  • Ammo management is a key part of the game and the reloads aren't long or egregious, docking points for it because 90s shooters didn't have reloading strikes me as ridiculous
  • I honestly think you haven't played the game considering the fact that most enemies in the first zone die to a single headshot with the machine gun (the weakest primary) and they have head that are like half the size of their torso, along with the fact that stat upgrades mean you start to melt anything VERY quickly
  • ???Quake had fall damage??? It got nerfed in the latest patch and isn't an issue anymore (imo), but even though I used to agree it was shit - what is that even supposed to mean?
  • Barely any health pickups because the game isn't a Quake clone, managing your health and avoiding damage is a key part of """roguelikes""" (go away lumbermancer) - would you play binding of isaac and complain ebcause you don't get a heart in every room, or something?
  • I don't particularly care either way on this, the stat upgrades are for the primary you choose at the start + you find various up/sidegrades for it - this is a design choice they made and I don't see it as a big issue, but it contributed to the "THIS ISN'T LIKE QUAKE!!!!" shit
  • You DEFINITELY didn't play past the first zone, if at all, if you think this is the case - the later enemies aren't necessarily the most creative, but even Quake saved the harder/more complex enemies for later
DrPillzRedux wrote:If you want an FPS game that plays like a 1996 one, just play one that was made back then.
if you managed to ignore the copious amount of times the devs said it was a roguelite and had prominent roguelike elements, then failed to put it together that stuff like randomly generated levels and strict ammo/health management are roguelike elements, and then didn't understand why the game isn't a 90s shooter, you honestly have no one to blame but yourself

Like, holy shit, I'm not being paid to say this, but I genuinely believe you either did not play the game or played it for well under an hour because half of your criticism is ridiculous
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #292989

Pillz didn't get paid shillbux to pimp this game on tg so he has to say it's bad as part of his contract
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #292998

Qbopper that doesn't matter, every video ad they've put out has been to make people think it's like Doom and Quake. They intentionally misled people. This is exactly why even backers hate the fuck out of it.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #293001

so the game is shit because the marketing was shit thus your expectations were different than what was provided to you, despite the quality of the game itself?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #293002

I backed it and enjoy it

It's not Quake, but it's still a faster clip of gameplay and there's a lot of bunnyhopping and lassoing enemies up to blast them all at once, which is enjoyable and different from many shooters that come out today
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #293003

The quality of the game itself is shit too. The game promotes just sitting in a funnel until everything is dead, along with too much reloading causing the entire gameplay to just be backpedal simulator. Unlike in Doom and Quake, which the devs have continually said the game is meant to emulate, the enemies do two things: run at you to hit you, or run at you and shoot towards you. There's absolutely no difference between enemies besides visuals, they both do the exact same two things. Doom and Quake had enemies that did more than just run towards you.

For a good laugh, the game has bunnyhopping (which isn't actual bunnyhopping), which is for playing fast, but because of the slow pace it's worthless. Your hitbox is huge and when you're already out of range of an enemy you'll still take damage. The level design is shit, just a bunch of rooms randomly thrown together with no rhyme or reason. All of the weapons feel like shit. Not only do you have to reload a lot, but they all lack damage except for the RPG.

You can defend this pile of shit all you want, but that doesn't mean it's not shit. It's own gameplay elements go against each other.

[youtube]gBNFzxKPHZ0[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #293037

DrPillzRedux wrote:the game has bunnyhopping (which isn't actual bunnyhopping), which is for playing fast, but because of the slow pace it's worthless.
this is just factually objectively untrue and it's just telling me you want nothing more than to hate the game

thinking the bunnyhopping/airstrafing is useless is laughable
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #293049

The biggest shill on the forum engaging in countershill warfare against another shill
:popcorn: :salt:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #293053

Qbopper wrote:you want nothing more than to hate the game
I played it for 5 hours to be sure. It's shit.

a correct post by pillz
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #293095

The it's not quake shit was obvious and people were upset about it even before release.

Why people bought a game with randomly generated levels and then complained it wasn't master crafted like quake when the "roguelite" stuff was mentioned in even the parody trailers eludes me.

This a problem for me since people raging on it for those reasons masks how shit or not it is whole lot a fucking noise right now. Guess I will wait to see if it is worth buying.
Stuff about extremely basic enemy AI is worrying. Sounds like it might be a more primitive ziggurat on the enemy design front.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Sat May 13, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #293096

If you want a good fps rougelite there's Wasted. Strafe is neither good fps nor roguelite.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #293142

If you're on the fence, steam refunds make it completely fine to buy a game to try it

Normally I would be hesitant to recommend something like this since people seem so divided, but in an age where you can have a guaranteed refund before 2 hours and essentially guaranteed if you don't clear 10 hours there's ACTUALLY zero reason to not try things for yourself anymore

EDIT: cleared up what I meant because when I post on my phone life is pain
Last edited by Qbopper on Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #293159

That is true. I've refunded few games recently myself.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #293347

There's also pirating if you want to try it for more than 2 hours.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #294120

Lumbermancer wrote:
Kel wrote:like it or not those are primary rogue like elements in the modern day
No, I'm sorry. Game genres are not preferred pronouns. You don't get to mix and match.
I think you do.

Find me a centralised body that defines game genres and I'll agree that it's not something I don't get to mix and match.

Oh wait there isn't any, guess it's entirely up to the consumer and/or developer uh?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #294168

like what is spore defined as, a "god game"? you don't ever have to tough the "god" aspects of it at all

the idea of a genre is just a category created to label shit, and the definitions of what a genre is will shift
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #294321

ColonicAcid wrote:Find me a centralised body
My body is ready.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #295573

ill destroy your body so hard that by the end you'll have some serious brain-tissue connection issues because you're so decentralised ya dig.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #302509

the games meerly ok

I dont hate it as much as other people do

i still recomend desync over this
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #342995

Mooseykins
Byond Username: Mooseykins

Post by Mooseykins » #353703

millenium update made game good, now people don't hate it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #353720

Mooseykins wrote:millenium update made game good, now people don't hate it.
it's weird that they focused on new rooms for the first zone even though i totally get why
stoovan
Byond Username: AdolfHonk

Post by stoovan » #366894

Strafe was a complete bust. I played it myself. Sure the games visuals and gameplay was great but after several minutes you get to see alot of bugs and see the same room over and over again even when they say that its "randomly generated"
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #367281

Im gonna try this cause im not gay like the rest of the posters
it's probably gonna be shit though
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367320

Whoisthere wrote:Im gonna try this cause im not gay like the rest of the posters
it's probably gonna be shit though
it's not, especially with the big patch that dropped

but go in expecting to die and retry because it's a roguelite
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #367347

captain sawrge wrote:*rips my actual pud off and dies of bloodloss at the mention of the word roguelite*
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #367361

captain sawrge wrote:
*makes snarky post about not having this discussion*
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #367534

I did my best to torrent this I failed for some reason. I'll never know the happiness. I'm convinced bopper is right. I want a roguelike fps.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals