bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

XBONE DISCUSSION: /PCMASTERRACE EDITION

Post by bman » #306825

• >they called it the fucking XBOX ONE X
    >500 dollars for the brick
    >EXCLUSIVE games (not exclusive just "plays better")
    >it's 4kay fourkay FOUR K
DISCUSS.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: XBONE DISCUSSION: /PCMASTERRACE EDITION

Post by Ricotez » #306873

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #306985

XBOX 1X??????????????????????

I'm genuinely angery
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #307190

xXboxXx
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #307217

People talk about how buying consoles lets them not have to spend time or money on a PC, but a decent PC would be cheaper and longer-lasting to put together than having to replace your console every few years when it inevitably breaks or a new generation (or in this case, minor improvement) comes out.
:thinking:
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #307218

I always thought the draw of consoles was the supposed ease of use. None of the finnicky bugs that come with setting up your own rig, everything should just plug and play properly. But i borrowed an Xbox 1 from a friend while he was away on vacation and holy shit. It was a buggy mess, shit randomly would screw up or not work properly, and the couple games i played (mostly DOOM) had really poor framerate. It feels like consoles are losing their edge
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #307221

For people not experienced with gaming or not savvy with PC's I definitely see the appeal. But at the same time, it's a lot easier to maintain a PC than it is a console. I have a PS4 to play Bloodborne on and it has constant heat problems and terrible screen tearing and discoloration because I'm playing it on a monitor and not a TV.

I think that they have their niche, but the old reasoning they use to sell them isn't working as well anymore with how many things a good PC can do that consoles can't.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #307268

Niko is a cute
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #307295

I already had a thread for this stupid fucking turtle

anyways I think it's neat, even though I won't buy one
People talk about how buying consoles lets them not have to spend time or money on a PC, but a decent PC would be cheaper and longer-lasting to put together than having to replace your console every few years when it inevitably breaks or a new generation (or in this case, minor improvement) comes out.
:thinking:
I'm a shill for pc gaming but this is just factually false by now

like, yes, PC gaming is cheap, if you're content to play with relatively low settings and upgrade every couple years - last gen lasted nearly a decade, and though it may have started to buckle near the end framerate wise I seriously do not believe someone with a low/mid tier GPU from the start of the generation could have comfortably used it up until the end

I'm canadian so my dollar is atrocious so let's say I pay $600 for a Scorpio (I think they were going for X.B.O.X. because XB(ox)O(ne) X but fuck that)

that comes with all of the cables, input solution, etc. all I need is a display and games, and I don't need to set anything up beyond the cables

building a PC requires buying each part yourself (which is still a little scary for inexperienced people even with help), assembling the parts (again, simple for us, not for normies), and troubleshooting issues you run into (is the computer not booting because I fucked up or is it a dead part?) which can be extremely difficult for non-tech savvy people

the recent GPU generation has helped things but I would be genuinely amazed if you could get an RX 480, halfway decent CPU, 12GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, mobo, case, display, input, etc. etc. for less than the price of a scorpio, even if we assume you won't pay for shipping at all

saying PC gaming is cheaper than consoles is only true if you're really scrounging, and at that point you're better off with the scorpio

this disregards all the other reasons to play on PC mind you, and I'm never going to outright switch to a console as my main device, but let's not spread the ebin pc gaming masterrace circlejerk when it's false - I would be AMAZED if you can achieve equal performance for less than the asking price of this thing
Limey wrote:its too late.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #307687

Wyzack wrote:I always thought the draw of consoles was the supposed ease of use. None of the finnicky bugs that come with setting up your own rig, everything should just plug and play properly. But i borrowed an Xbox 1 from a friend while he was away on vacation and holy shit. It was a buggy mess, shit randomly would screw up or not work properly, and the couple games i played (mostly DOOM) had really poor framerate. It feels like consoles are losing their edge
They lost their edge after the PS2 became outdated
PS3 and that generation were just similarly priced PCs with a few exclusives
Anything after that was just flat out inferior to PCs. Especially now SSDs are a thing. Starting up your PC is faster than starting up a console now

Quality and easy of use wise, PC will always be better from here on out.
Just keep in mind consoles, especially xbox stuff, is just a standardized PC running a custom OS that specializes in games
Qbopper wrote: saying PC gaming is cheaper than consoles is only true if you're really scrounging, and at that point you're better off with the scorpio
Console games tend to also be very expensive, if you include game price then there is no doubt at all that PC gaming is cheaper. Not to mention all the digital sales on games that consoles can't take advantage of. You're stuck using your local store's bargain bin for a mix of old games and Battleborn copies that will never sell
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #308387

XSI wrote:
Wyzack wrote:I always thought the draw of consoles was the supposed ease of use. None of the finnicky bugs that come with setting up your own rig, everything should just plug and play properly. But i borrowed an Xbox 1 from a friend while he was away on vacation and holy shit. It was a buggy mess, shit randomly would screw up or not work properly, and the couple games i played (mostly DOOM) had really poor framerate. It feels like consoles are losing their edge
They lost their edge after the PS2 became outdated
PS3 and that generation were just similarly priced PCs with a few exclusives
Anything after that was just flat out inferior to PCs. Especially now SSDs are a thing. Starting up your PC is faster than starting up a console now

Quality and easy of use wise, PC will always be better from here on out.
Just keep in mind consoles, especially xbox stuff, is just a standardized PC running a custom OS that specializes in games
Qbopper wrote: saying PC gaming is cheaper than consoles is only true if you're really scrounging, and at that point you're better off with the scorpio
Console games tend to also be very expensive, if you include game price then there is no doubt at all that PC gaming is cheaper. Not to mention all the digital sales on games that consoles can't take advantage of. You're stuck using your local store's bargain bin for a mix of old games and Battleborn copies that will never sell
XSI wrote:easy of use wise, PC will always be better from here on out.
sure, for people who have half a clue how to use a computer already, this is absolutely true, but you're really underestimating how technologically incompetent the majority of the population is

most people don't consider how a computer works, they don't think about it at all, they just learn how to do the things they want andi f something goes wrong they often don't have any idea where to start
XSI

Post by XSI » #308441

They don't have to though.
Slap a bunch of icons on the desktop, click icon, receive game

Maybe set it to automate backups once a week and when shit goes wrong just roll it back
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #308652

Qbopper wrote:price
I'm not saying I've done calculations, but have you considered the fact that PC has many more sales, games are somewhat cheaper, there's more f2p titles and you don't have to pay a shake down fee to play your games online? That's all beside the fact that PC has more uses than just playin vidya.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
XSI

Post by XSI » #308834

Only a bit, but you are right that most people don't give a shit and just want their games
They might not give a shit there's a better way either, but if you're bringing over a bunch of drunk friends you're going to want a console because local multiplayer on a PC tends to be a pain
They wont care about the specs of that thing. They won't give a shit that the controllers are terrible compared to mouse and keyboard, not a shit given how much it costs. They just want to play their games and want it to be easy and quick to get going so they're not standing there with a beer and three friends looking at them growing bored

PC stuff can be easy and quick, it's not complicated, but it has the idea of complexity around it so people think it is. And then they don't want to try or learn about what these things mean.
That's the console's target audience. If some guy in a suit tells them at E3 "Our new console is the most powerful ever!", they'll believe it, because they have no idea how to measure that
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #308855

Lumbermancer wrote:
Qbopper wrote:price
I'm not saying I've done calculations, but have you considered the fact that PC has many more sales, games are somewhat cheaper, there's more f2p titles and you don't have to pay a shake down fee to play your games online? That's all beside the fact that PC has more uses than just playin vidya.
I think you didn't read my post, I addressed this

I'm not trying to say I think consoles are better or cheaper but I'm saying that most people who buy a console don't really give enough of a shit
XSI wrote:That's the console's target audience. If some guy in a suit tells them at E3 "Our new console is the most powerful ever!", they'll believe it, because they have no idea how to measure that
I just want to point out that this is technically the most powerful home gaming console ever made, they aren't wrong

you're right, but still, gotta nitpick
PanzerIV
Byond Username: Panzer IV

Post by PanzerIV » #308860

I believe it mostly depends on taste and what the person want with there console. Look at the xbox one s it can stream and play 4k movies for some real die hard movie fans, that can sell it for them.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #308985

speaking of movies why is it so fuck damn hard to get blurays working on pc

:(
XSI

Post by XSI » #308994

Specifically so you go buy their own player and don't use your PC

Gives them more money if you have to pay for that too
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #308999

that was one of the draws for the ps3 when it was released

that shit could play bluray
crack is whack but smacks got your back
PanzerIV
Byond Username: Panzer IV

Post by PanzerIV » #309069

Im pretty sure they sell blue ray drives some where for pc, but if you think about it there not much of a market for that I mean most of us are going to watch a movie on our TV not our on our computer.

With that said how ever, I believe Samsung has a external blue ray player that plug into your pc much in the same way you plug in an external hard drive.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #309181

I have a bluray drive but I tried to watch the ALien anthology on it and it turns out the DRM is super fucked and it's way more work than I care to do to get blurays working

itt: yet another company encourages an otherwise legitimate user to pirate shit