FOXHOLE

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

FOXHOLE

Post by DrPillzRedux » #323907

Foxhole is a top down MMO-ish persistent war game, currently on Steam for $20. You play as a no name soldier on one of several huge maps. Your job is to either farm resources, build structures/vehicles/weapons, or get on the front lines and fight. Being a persistent war game, each war starts at day 1 and goes up as the game progresses through its day and night cycle.

The progression of a match goes like this: You spawn in and decide what you want to do. If you want to build or farm resources, get a sledgehammer, build yourself a truck, and be a slave to your hearts content. Or, you craft whatever weapon you want at the main base (rifle, carbine, SMG, storm rifle, etc), kit yourself out while keeping your weight in mind, and then catch a ride to the frontline. From there you die in about a minute and repeat. It can be a really mundane day guarding the gate, or all out hell in an assault or defense.

To enhance your PTSD, this game features proximity chat!

Screenshot gallery: http://imgur.com/a/52sb9

[youtube]rn_kQf_C-Ug[/youtube]
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Re: FOXHOLE

Post by TheWiznard » #323911

it's a pretty fun game, i don't really play it too much now because it runs like shit on my toaster but it was fun what little I played back around last august. I think what I like the most is just checking in on the foxhole discord every couple months and seeing all the changes and updates they are doing to the game.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324181

I like some of the more obscure and weird design choices of this game.

>you have level, which is just a number, that represents how long you've played the game (as you get xp from kills, healing, etc)
>you also have military ranks, which can only be gained by player commendations
>anyone can commend you, but only those from people who are higher than your rank count to a promotion
>the game also never tells anyone about commending so a lot of people don't have ranks

Last night I was still a no ranked rookie. Then this happened.

>defending our last town, running with a light shotgun loadout
>most other people are cowering in foxholes and behind sandbags, so we can't push back
>I yell FOLLOW ME, MEN!
>no one does
>run forward, dodging bullets and running between cover
>get up close to the machinegunner and his buddies
>mow them all down with my shotgun
>look back and yell FOLLOW ME YOU FUCKERS!
>everyone gets up and charges into battle
>even the mortar men are inspired and slowly run up
>some guy starts screaming FOR THE NORTH!
>people start dropping like flies around me but I make it to a sandbag
>guy next to me gets rushed and downed, I shotgun down both his attackers
>pick up a trauma kit off the ground and get him up
>lead another charge forward but get downed
>everyone starts running back scared
>I DIDN'T DIE SO YOU COULD RETREAT! GO!
>they turn back around screaming memes and one dude crying for me
>ended up capturing the next town and turning the war around
>get promoted to Lieutenant Corporal, almost Corporal now

This game is gr8.

From right before the 2nd push:
Spoiler:
[youtube]rn_kQf_C-Ug[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #324330

Fucker I was gonna make a thread and call it Fuckhole. Haven't had too much time to play around with it yet because work's been slowly sucking the life or of me but it seems pretty good. Interface could use some work touch, especially with withdrawing shit from the townhall. I feel like if I want to take 80 resources out of it I souls be able to just take 80 out and have the assembly time adjusted accordingly instead of having to take out ten, wait for the assembly timer, then repeat seven more times.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324338

They don't want stack withdrawing because it makes griefing easier.

a correct post by pillz
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #324724

This looks like it's basically Running with Rifles on a bigger map
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324737

It's not. Far more tacticool and grand scheme-ish. Every single bullet you fire has been crafted by some autist who likes to drive a truck.

a correct post by pillz
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #324780

Now that pillz shilled it will eventually die out
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #324803

I played it during some ancient alpha test or something, how is it now
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #324818

downloaded and played it
it's actually pretty fun, you could greatily contribute to your side without ever firing a bullet.
there's TONS to do in the game, anything from mining, to crafting weapons, to supply runs, to raiding parties, to base building, to high command.
the gunplay feels a little RNG and you can't really ever tell if you're killing people because of the fade out mechanics
being a medic can be fun if a little finnicky, but for the most part the screaming in voice chat and grenade charges across bridges can be fun.
I play Boris Pepper.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #324871

Oh shit that sounds neat then
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324895

Your accuracy while standing is rediculously bad. Always crouch or prone before shooting. Standing is only for really, really close fights.

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #324926

DrPillzRedux wrote:Your accuracy while standing is rediculously bad. Always crouch or prone before shooting. Standing is only for really, really close fights.
>standing shooting guy laying down
>miss 5 rifle shots
>he headshots me with a pistol and i die instantly
FUCK

there's currently an exploit which means you can level your buildings up super fast and crank out tanks on like day 10, which is retarded and makes it a pretty easy win.

i played it for a few more hours and aiming still feels kinda hit and miss, but that's probably because i haven't played it for long, i'm dying to people i'm getting the jump on while my bullets fly off to start a new life in africa.

if any of you guys are down to play, hit my dumb nigger ass up on discord and i'll medic you when you get fucked in the ass by a pistol god.
I play Boris Pepper.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324936

Pistols cannot 1 shot though under any circumstance, only revolvers.

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #324960

DrPillzRedux wrote:Pistols cannot 1 shot though under any circumstance, only revolvers.
-shrug- i had been in battle so i was probably hurt, although i wasn't bleeding.
I play Boris Pepper.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #324968

Yeah you can be hit and not be bloody or bleeding.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #325022

Jesus fucking christ.
Spoiler:

a correct post by pillz
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #325076

Comfy Truck Driving Simulator/10

Wars can last for days. The way servers are listed, they'll show 'Day X', with the X being a number that is how many hours the war has been going on for. A quick look at the server list shows wars going on from 30-70 hours.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #325131

Does it have subs / cancerous micro transactions?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #325140

Malkevin wrote:Does it have subs / cancerous micro transactions?
No.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #325597

Night time is meant to resupply and rebuild. You can attack at night, and it actually limits the range of automated defenses, but it also lowers your vision.

The key to doing well at night is

AN ULTRAWIDE MONITOR

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #325671

If you rotate your camera to position the top corners of your monitor you can see further. If you're in sight you will be highlighted. That's why ultrawide makes it even better. I can shoot people who can't see me.

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #325760

You can change your resolution and get a bigger sight advantage, just go windowed mode and set to lowest resolution.
I don't though, because I like my visually pleasing game.
I play Boris Pepper.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #325761

Boring game tbh, I don't think many people are going to sit in one place occasionally pressing lmb so respawning is always going to be a case of building your own rifle and ammo
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #325776

CosmicScientist wrote:People seem to make at least rifles and ammunition for everyone to pick up but it seems only determined people or groups would think of transporting those guns to further away than where you can refine scrap.

It seems only decently old games have anyone making other weapons, although in limited supply or maybe that's just because everyone keeps dying with the weapons they never use on anything but foxholes.

To be honest I think this game is okay except for the initial build up... and all the autonomous defences that no-one seems able to figure out how to defeat (not that you're allowed to know how damaged something is you can't repair because it's on the other team). It might be nicer if the foxholes, machine gun pillboxes and shielded turrets had a shorter activation range than you're within a screen's distance.
Smoke off AI defenses and HE grenade them, do this in a team of 3-4 and you'll punch through an enemies line very quickly.
Shit, you can kill foxholes just by laying down and putting a few clips of rifle into them.
I play Boris Pepper.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #325814

CosmicScientist wrote:Okay, big criticism time.

When your home base lacks a garage.

It sucks hard. Barely anyone shows up and they only do so for your manufactory or rarely your scrapyard.

I wish you could set your spawn point to anywhere you visited once, not only when you're there. Maybe we could make bicycles for ~40 basic materials or scrap since this is a WW1/2 style game. Tandems would be ace.
I haven't had any issue getting to the front lines, just stick around the weapon factory and you'll have a lift back within 2-3 minutes.
I play Boris Pepper.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #325818

Malkevin wrote:Boring game tbh, I don't think many people are going to sit in one place occasionally pressing lmb so respawning is always going to be a case of building your own rifle and ammo
I haven't had too much of an issue with weapons and ammo. It feels like there's more than enough autists who are more than content to mass produce a shit ton of weapons and ammo.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #325857

You're supposed to have to run or get a lift as a fresh join. You set your spawn at the outpost/town hall closest to the front. If it runs out of shirts, you're supposed to be fucked.

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #325871

so if I buy this can I play straight support autist and build shit/resupply people for a living
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #325873

Qbopper wrote:so if I buy this can I play straight support autist and build shit/resupply people for a living
Yeah, i'll teach you how to run guns if you want.
I play Boris Pepper.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #325876

oh neat

i need to get some cash together, I spent it all on shit for uni but i'll pick it up
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #326045

It's the same with any automatic weapon. On busy servers with a long queue you get bullet lag. It shows you shoot a bullet but you actually don't, as shown by your ammo counter bouncing back.

a correct post by pillz
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #326148

Being prone behind a sand bag does not stop you from being shot. It only lowers the chance of getting hit.

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326697

Guns are like 50% chance, just experiment with aiming and you'll usually either kill or injure them and force a retreat.
I play Boris Pepper.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326838

I bought it, it's interesting

it's a bit rough finding out how to be useful though - I tried making a truck to ship scrap to manufacturing plants but it never panned out
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326879

first attempt someone drove by and dropped off some fuel for me which was super helpful but then I went driving and passed some empty enemy foxholes, not knowing about the tunnel system, so I got blown the fuck up

second attempt, I stopped just outside of the town I made the truck in because some guy needed help pushing a gun to the front line, so I sat there for like 10 minutes on my phone while he steered and I pushed - after finally getting back my truck had had its fuel taken (despite being locked??)

third attempt this morning went better though, I ferried some scrap to a refinery and took the metal to the front, repeated a few times until I had to go
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #326899

If you open the inventory then lock it you can still take stuff out if you keep the inventory menu up. Also people in a squad claimed vehicle can always access the inventory.

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326923

neither of those things happened because I was a lone wolf logi schmuck and I locked it as I walked across the map with a bigass gun
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #326952

>qbopper likes the game I shill

cash in the shill bucks...

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326961

Hit me up on DRK campaign colonials if i'm on.
boris is my name.
I'm the dude sitting in a bush with a rifle killing krauts as they try to destroy your logi truck.
I play Boris Pepper.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #326968

I play Boris Pepper.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #336911

This sounds really neat.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #337026

haven't played in a bit but yeah the lack of music is pretty rough

even some quiet atmospheric shit for when you're scrap collecting or some tense strings during a firefight would help
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #337039

I'd just blast some Saboton and yehaw my way into an allied emplacement.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #337062

The AI enplacements killed the game.

a correct post by pillz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #337145

I'll give this a look when I get back after the weekend.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #338510

So far I'm very convinced you either play this with friends or the game would be simply much improved by removing the playerbase entirely.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #338622

why, have you run into awful people?

when I played everyone was super cool

well, everyone that wasn't on the front line, who fucking knows what the grunts are like
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #338639

Qbopper wrote:why, have you run into awful people?

when I played everyone was super cool

well, everyone that wasn't on the front line, who fucking knows what the grunts are like
My first round doesn't exactly count since I ended up joining when the whole thing was basically over and we were holding onto a single resistance camp for about 2 hours. Didn't stop players from blocking the spawn with trucks and bitching while running off to "pow camps" to play patty cake with the other team.

My second round was group after group of "pirates" piling into the water transports and dying to shore guns while a self-declared commander whined that nobody was listening to him.

My third was nobody pushing on any fronts or responding to radio because apparently everyone was trying to play logi while whining about everyone else stealing their mats.

Edit: Marked improvement during daytime hours. Must have just been the late night crew full of mongoloids.
gruj_
Byond Username: Gruj

Post by gruj_ » #338865

It used to be worse. The Foxhole admins are super active though and they have an official Discord where rule breakers can be reported. I was honestly really surprised when I first played. I was expecting everyone to be just going at it alone with no real coordination. Before I knew it I got swayed into driving a supply truck around for four hours.