edit: also it's gonna be on mobile soon which is fucking absurd
Limey wrote:its too late.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Re: old school runescape general: wts coal its on the ge

Post by bman » #326527

it's hard to believe that it has already been nine years since i last played this
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326548

technically this came out a few years ago and you played a different game 9 years ago :^)
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #326556

RS3 is better
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #326585

I started playing this again on a whim, got up to level 100 or so with some OK stats, but it just gets so MIND NUMBINGLY FUCKING GRINDY at a point so I ended up just not logging back in.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326654

Kel wrote:RS3 is better
rs3 is a completely different game
lumipharon wrote:I started playing this again on a whim, got up to level 100 or so with some OK stats, but it just gets so MIND NUMBINGLY FUCKING GRINDY at a point so I ended up just not logging back in.
playing rs on its own is a fools enterprise, I put in on when I have homework/wanna watch a movie/etc., it's the perfect game to not pay attention to
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #326778

Me and lzi play rs3 though I occasionally hop on osrs for a bit. I just can't bring myself to abandon an account I've had for over 14 years and start the mind numbing grind all over again.

Though on the bright side, enjoy your incoming miningtodt.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #326779

Qbopper wrote:
Kel wrote:RS3 is better
rs3 is a completely different game
it's a better completely different game that shares the same name, branding and gameplay style of said game it's completely different from, while also being developed by the same developers (albeit splintered off from the main team).
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #326833

okay well if you seriously want to start preaching at me that I'm having fun wrong can you make a rs3 thread and do it there
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #326974

i mean its arguably the better game because its an actual game instead of a cookie clicker.

because that is literally what osrs is, and im not hating on it for being that, but that shit aint a game...
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #327000

Both games are fine and if I wasn't already maxed on rs3 I would play osrs. I wish I could play both games at the same time on my one account, what the fuck jiggleplex.

ayy, I have one complaint though. The osrs community is fucking trash, and not just your everyday typical mmo trash. This is advanced trash.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327006

ColonicAcid wrote:i mean its arguably the better game because its an actual game instead of a cookie clicker.

because that is literally what osrs is, and im not hating on it for being that, but that shit aint a game...
ehh from my experience playing rs3 it's cookie clicker that requires even less attention

I don't do much combat though, I prefer skilling
Durkel wrote:ayy, I have one complaint though. The osrs community is fucking trash, and not just your everyday typical mmo trash. This is advanced trash.
ok thank god I thought I was the only one

f2p servers are fine but don't bother looking for anyone on member servers/on the subreddit/forums/etc., it's honestly by far the worst community out there, bar none
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #327018

Durkel wrote:Me and lzi play rs3 though I occasionally hop on osrs for a bit. I just can't bring myself to abandon an account I've had for over 14 years and start the mind numbing grind all over again.

Though on the bright side, enjoy your incoming miningtodt.
maxed huh. you do any bosses?
Spoiler:
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #327023

Solo nex mostly, My internet won't stop being shit so I feel irresponsible going on raids or doing any team bosses such as AoD.

Feels bad man
GarlicBread
Byond Username: GarlicBread

Post by GarlicBread » #327024

Osrs is the fucking bomb

I bought a membership and now I'm leveled fucking high in WC and fletch. Haven't played it in a while tho cos of other games

Rs3 didn't feel like the fun game I knew anymore but I was glad as fuck the GE came along to osrs to eliminate the asspain of standing in the trading world copypastaing shit
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327117

actual unpopular opinion: I seriously hate the GE

it contributes to the awful as shit osrs community by giving players yet another way to avoid interaction

I get why people voted it in but I'm still disappointed about it
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #327130

Qbopper isn't wrong. Going to falador/varrock back in the day and seeing 2k people all shoved into one spot trying to sell their goods was an amazing site. It was unique experience trying to haggle people down and just seeing all the trades happen. Hell, I still remember all the areas where people traded specific goods.

Now don't get me wrong, any modern mmo is going to have a auction house of some sort for ease of play and it makes trading much easier but it killed a large sense of community when it launched.

Spoiler:
The majority of modern mmos are trash and need to return to their roots of things being player driven instead of some shitty themepark.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #327136

Honestly I'm way too used to everything rs3 offers(in terms of being less of a painful grinding experience) to go back to osrs, and I also don't want to level everything again.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327139

yeah that's a perfectly valid opinion to hold

I just hate posts like the above "LOL U R DUM RS3 IS BETER", same applies to people bashing RS3

I found I levelled a lot quicker in OSRS because I had some fucking clue as to what I was doing, but yeah, the grind is the main attraction to OSRS

edit: also forgot to say, thank fuck someone else understands my hate for the GE, it's so fucking disappointing that the majority of OSRS players aren't willing to consider the harm the GE has on the long term community's health

then again the community is so bad I play with chat off when I'm on a member's server, so no harm done I guess?
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #327148

When you make 50m off someone being retarded.

Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #327182

There are plenty of MMOs that try to be more player driven and get rid of convenience systems to encourage player interaction. They never last long, and if they endure it's generally not with a lot of players. The MMO market has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

The best way is not to force player interaction, but to encourage it. Not having an auction house will just make sure that every time you have any kind of Q&A session, players will ask you when you're going to add an auction house, because they are used to seeing those in modern fantasy MMORPGs.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #327194

GE is cancer aids and should die. Only good market is eve-online market.

Also it means I can't sells sharks for 2k ea to pkers in edgeville like I did the first time I got cooking up. RIP.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #327211

EVE Online has a great market. You can see the sell orders up in every station in your current region, and although you can buy something remotely you will still have to fly to the station where the sell order was put up to pick the items up yourself. Or you can pay another player to ship the items for you with a shipping contract.

Because of the region limitation on how far you can see market orders, you can make some great money by buying stuff in regions with major trade hubs such a Sinq Laison (the Dodixie system) and The Forge (the Jita system), and shipping it to regions without one. For example, the Verge Vendor region lies close to the Dodixie hub, which means it's easy to ship items from and to it, but because Dodixie is in the Sinq Laison region you can't see Dodixie market orders from anywhere in Verge Vendor, which means that buyers in Verge Vendor who don't want to look further than their own region aren't going to see the markup on your market orders.

But the problem is that EVE Online is a completely different kind of game than most modern MMORPGs. It's a very open ended game, much more of a sandbox, with a massive universe that works very differently from games where you stand with your feet on the ground, and all its players in a single shard.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327213

Ricotez wrote:But the problem is that EVE Online is a completely different kind of game than most modern MMORPGs. It's a very open ended game, much more of a sandbox, with a massive universe that works very differently from games where you stand with your feet on the ground, and all its players in a single shard.
yeah eve isn't anywhere near a traditional MMO

also somewhat unrelated but anyone who thinks OSRS grind is bad should try wurm online
GarlicBread

Post by GarlicBread » #327228

Ya know I do have a little bit of nostalgia for that, but I spent a whole day trying to get a full set of rune armour and fucking jews kept trying to scam me by swapping a piece or 2 out for addy and shit

then ge came in the next day and got it instantly

Maybe I'm just retarded at dealing with players but its also nice to be able to sell my garbage while im offline. Plus, everyone knows that interacting is just xp waste fam

*Also gonna shill that eve is god tier with a set of comrades
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #327232

the scammers were hilarious, I once managed to get the actual item I wanted to buy from a scammer by badgering him until he finally sold it to me
Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #327263

Ricotez wrote:the scammers were hilarious, I once managed to get the actual item I wanted to buy from a scammer by badgering him until he finally sold it to me
Psst hey kid, wanna know a cheat code?
Spoiler:
You can duplicate your party hat by dropping it and hitting alt f4
lumipharon wrote:GE is cancer aids and should die. Only good market is eve-online market.

Also it means I can't sells sharks for 2k ea to pkers in edgeville like I did the first time I got cooking up. RIP.
I actually liked the GE but the trade limitation was fucking retarded.
GarlicBread wrote:I bought a membership and now I'm leveled fucking high in WC and fletch. Haven't played it in a while tho cos of other games
I had some good times when I was playing as a member ages ago. I don't know if it's the same now but back then the difference between f2p and p2p servers was crazy. When I was playing F2P I noticed a huge amount of scammers, antisocial fucktards who couldn't be bothered with small talk, and autistic kids who would report you for profanity, probably hoping to become moderators so they access the P2P servers since their mommies wouldn't buy them membership.

When I got a membership I met some pretty cool people on the members servers. There was one guy in particular who was pretty awesome. He was a pretty high level like something above 100 and he'd let me tag along to take on monsters and shit I thought out leveled me but was still able to kill them and leveled up my combat very quickly. This was back when the trade restriction was a thing but he'd often give me as much free shit as he could within the confines of the restriction. Dude was a total bro.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327335

thank god trade restrictions are dead

Also yeah that used to be the case where f2p was filled with the social rejects but now on osrs all the people who used to be retards in 07 have grown up and just log on to relax and have a bit of nostalgia, and the actual children who played back then are now that age and ruin the p2p servers

:(
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #327417

Qbopper wrote:thank god trade restrictions are dead

Also yeah that used to be the case where f2p was filled with the social rejects but now on osrs all the people who used to be retards in 07 have grown up and just log on to relax and have a bit of nostalgia, and the actual children who played back then are now that age and ruin the p2p servers

:(
I might think about giving osrs a shot once we get Internet back. Well as long as we're not talking 2D Runescape. I may have played the shit out of that when I was like 12 and started playing back before tutorial island was a thing but clicking rocks and trees over and over again just doesn't sound as appealing as it used to
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327420

it was based off the 2007 version of runescape, the 2d one is way way older

it's still a lot of clicking but it's nowhere near as bad as rsc
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #327431

add me colonicacid

i mostly play rs3 because skilling is THERAPEUTIC but sometimes i skill in osrs if im feeling particularly autistic.
GarlicBread

Post by GarlicBread » #327432

I like pretty fireworks and noises and adding a 1 to my number counter
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #327433

yeah i actually applaud jagex on creating basically e-crack.

the 80s/90s had crack
the 00s had runescape
the 10s have heroin.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #327534

ayo you lads ill add you'll

Get at me if you want some dungeoneering powerlevel/leech.

Also owegno might need a bond so rip my bank, just bought anima core set of Zaros zam and seren
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327576

are you people incapable of reading the title

like, I don't have a problem with rs3, but

>dungeoneering
>osrs
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #327676

fuck u dad im telling mum ur not letting me have FUN
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #327829

i'm a fun pure sorry pal
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #328271

I play runescape
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #328574

cool my dude whats your fishing level
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #328584

I played the original 2d runescape when I was like 11 years old.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #331702

so apparently jagex wants to do a mining/smithing rework for rs3

sounds great

except they want to only add the high end stuff and finish it later

despite the fact that they've done batch updates like that for like, years now, and never actually finished stuff

and now rs3 players are getting a shitload of osrs players to vote against it

neat
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #333364

There's a chance at runefest this year they reveal group ironman for osrs. Which one of you fuckboys wants to get autistic togther?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #333372

yo holy shit group ironman would be the BEST

I never bothered with ironman because >restarting, but I would play the shit out of that
lzimann

Post by lzimann » #333377

i started a hc ironman on osrs, let's see how much I can handle before quitting
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #333714

Qbopper wrote:so apparently jagex wants to do a mining/smithing rework for rs3

sounds great

except they want to only add the high end stuff and finish it later

despite the fact that they've done batch updates like that for like, years now, and never actually finished stuff

and now rs3 players are getting a shitload of osrs players to vote against it

neat
>implying the best way isn't to superheat gold ore with goldsmithing gloves

lol
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #333755

the idea was that it would change that, I think

lzi that's neat post updates

Fossil island in (less than?) a week, that's gonna be sweet, especially the non afk woodcutting thing
lzimann

Post by lzimann » #333921

this was like a few hours or so, did witch's potion, prince ali rescue and cook's assistant quests and now doing imp catcher, and will probably go for a high magic level(fuck walking everywhere)
stoovan
Byond Username: AdolfHonk

Post by stoovan » #334059

I would play old school rune scape. That is if the game has less micro transactions
lzimann

Post by lzimann » #334066

The only "micro transaction" OSRS has are the bonds. But they are mostly fine since they allow you to buy membership with in-game gold.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #334167

stoovan wrote:I would play old school rune scape. That is if the game has less micro transactions
lzimann wrote:The only "micro transaction" OSRS has are the bonds. But they are mostly fine since they allow you to buy membership with in-game gold.
yeah they added bonds via a poll - it was "keep the game as is" vs "add f2p but add bonds to support the financial strain"

I personally think bonds were super good for the game but I do know some people are very pissy about them to this day since you can sell them in game