TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Re: wurm unlimited: wurm online for impatient people

Post by TheWiznard » #566402

Bottom post of the previous page:

Qbopper wrote:
Takeguru wrote:I could actually get into Unlimited because it was less of a time investment
I'm cool with games taking a lot of time but even Unlimited was feeling like a second job at times
this is a valid point but I dunno

there's something sort of endearing to me about how long term wurm in general is and unlimited felt like it lost some of that charm - WO has been around for literally decades now and has a fuckload of history, but with WU it feels less secure
well wu is already officially not getting updates ever again
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #566581

TheWiznard wrote: well wu is already officially not getting updates ever again
I know that, I was specifically referring to the server hosts

I have a lot more faith in an already 14(?) year old game with a dedicated niche audience and consistent funding from said players continuing to persist over a long time than I do some random community server
Limey wrote:its too late.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #570082

every second that wurm online isn;t out on steam i feel my blood coalescing into sludge please rolf let me play my funny masonry game
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #570086

It kept sending me emails on that but I kept thinking "I don't have three years to slowly build shit right now"
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #570502

Enjoyed the times we spend on WU but I don't know that I want to go and do it all again on a server setup with even more soul crushing grind.
XSI

Post by XSI » #570625

Games like this benefit from the ability to start as something other than a weak, unskilled idiot. I would be up for joining something like this if I could start it at "Doesn't need to spend several hours grinding basic shit" levels, but as it stands I really don't want to spend several hours grinding just to get my basic ability to be useful
Like ideally, a game like this would have you start with basic skills and some basic materials, plus a cart or small boat, in a place with friends. Then you can go out together to wherever you decided to settle and actually do it.
Kind like the dorf fort embark doesn't start you with 7 useless shitters. It starts you with some skilled dwarves and items to get you going
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #570626

It wouldn't be difficult to set that up on a server you ran yourself. Some servers also have starter towns where you can grab some basic items for free from NPCs and start with 10 or so in all skills, or have public ressource nodes/crafting benches etc.

I did play on a server with some friends once, it tends to be that the build-up phase is the most fun and then slowly everyone else starts losing interest and it's downhill from there. I'd like to play Wurm again but as it is I know it's a gigantic time commitment, for me at least, and I would have to pretty much cancel all my other hobbies to play the way I'd want to and I don't think that's healthy.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #570629

Periodically I consider going back to WU, but somehow the pitch for Online is just "it's bigger, slower, and less fun but everything is more spread out and unique now because everyone is having less fun"
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #570791

re: all the complaints about how slow it is, WO has actually introduced a lot of baby brain accessibility features

common mats like planks or stone bricks have a 100% craft chance even on a brand new character now, pendulums can be made with iron, etc etc
cedarbridge wrote:Periodically I consider going back to WU, but somehow the pitch for Online is just "it's bigger, slower, and less fun but everything is more spread out and unique now because everyone is having less fun"
don't really agree with anything beyond slower but that's because every WU server cranks the multipliers up wildly high

the steam launch went really shakily but they've fixed it up and there's so many new players they actually made a second PVE map to help with the load; there was 2500 players online at once today which is absolutely massive for wurm. I got a deed put down and I'm excited, it's really cool to be able to actually influence how the map is gonna get shaped so early
XSI

Post by XSI » #570830

Qbopper wrote:I got a deed put down and I'm excited
Post pics
I like seeing what people make in this stuff
I've considered going in and making a nice little homestead or something myself but I don't have the time or motivation, so I will watch others do it instead
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #570832

not much so far as I just got started

trying to grind out 20 prospecting to find a vein faster; I got lucky and there's a water source right next to where my forge will be
XSI

Post by XSI » #570839

Looks like it will be comfy when done
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #570886

Qbopper wrote:[image]

not much so far as I just got started

trying to grind out 20 prospecting to find a vein faster; I got lucky and there's a water source right next to where my forge will be
god you're really making me wanna play
are the rates reasonable? like x2 or x3?
personally i always settle near a body of water to avoid having to look for an underground well
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #570921

p sure hes on wo now which is 1x , i actually like 1x but id just stick to wu 1x for me personally. dont wanna pay for sub when can do everything in wu