Distant Worlds: Universe

Talk about video games here
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Re: Distant Worlds: Universe

Post by Davidchan » #362850

If you're a big 4x fan, yeah this is a great game. It's far from perfect (7 year old indie game) and a bit overpriced, but there is still hours of entertainment that can be gotten from this. The strategy layer in particular I enjoyed, being able to completely customize your fleet loadouts down to the ship with the only limitations being what your tech can support and what your economy can fund. Building tons of outposts and border stations along nebulas between myself and which ever neighbor is getting ballsy enough to break treaties with me, bribing his rivals into starting a war with him to turn his attention elsewhere and decades later my fleets raining nuclear fires of purification to turn his homeworld into a smoldering ruin.

The game gets a lot of comparisons to Stellaris these days, given their similiar themes yet different approaches to the same problems. I like both games, and generally prefer DW:U over Stel but the lack of a community for DW:U, steep learning curve and UI that makes little sense until you're 20+ hours into, I can see why most people new to the genre are going to stellaris for their fun. Hopefully DW2 (if it even comes out, devs said they started on it over a year ago) learns lessons from both games and makes a good hybrid with a more diverse tech tree, better planetary combat options and more diverse cast of sentient life that can be found in the galaxy and custom races.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #366061

-67% on GOG
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #588537

[youtube]OWD5Btwedys[/youtube]
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #588550

what if we made the world far away 2
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #588572

I have a feeling DW2 is going to be fantastic, but part of the reason i love DW:U so much is the 2d artstyle, something about it really vibes with me

same went for AI War, but the second game is honestly fantastic so no complaints there

EXTREMELY fun game and worth it to pick up on GOG, i would actually recommend buying it at full price to support the DW devs

also fuck the shakturi and fuck all bugs
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #588594

I never played DW as much as i'd like to. I always liked the scope of the game. I think it felt nice because of the slower start (?) and all the civilian traffic and business. You felt more like an actual leader, not a guy clicking with mouse.