Slay the Spire: Dark Souls of Hearthstone

Talk about video games here
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Slay the Spire: Dark Souls of Hearthstone

Post by Armhulen » #371444

every enemy you fight adds a card to your deck, and you have to reach the top of each level beating enemies. It's pretty fun if you're someone who likes card games, but don't take my word on it, you can see a run for yourself here:

[youtube]OqLbG5O8dag[/youtube]

the game has some pretty awesome combos if you're careful with what cards you pick up, I had a deck with a bunch of zero cost low attack cards and a 2 cost card that would deal 5 damage to an enemy for each card you casted this game, allowing my rogue character to delete some really high hp minions fairly far on in
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: Slay the Spire: Dark Souls of Hearthstone

Post by XDTM » #371455

I picked it up, plenty of synergies which makes it pretty fun.

Another interesting part of the game is trying to minmax damage and defense during combat, because by lategame there are so many factors between relics, powers, and card combinations that getting the most out of your turn is complicated, and could be the difference between winning and losing.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #371457

egg
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #371465

>dark souls of...
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #371466

Deitus wrote:>dark souls of...
yeah that's the joke
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #371470

Deitus wrote:>dark souls of...
the dark souls of dark souls of reactions
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #371473

but does it have vr support
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #371475

BRO JUST WEAKEN HIM LOOOOOOOOL
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #371525

It's kinda binary, if you have strength reduction or weaken in your deck it's easy otherwise it scales far fasten than most other bosses. Even the statue head only increases it's damage by 5 per turn, without wounds, after 5 "free" turns and with the slow debuff to help you kill it faster.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #371609

the enemy selection is there to fuck over people who mostly go for one kind of playstyle like snecko will absolutely destroy shiv decks and the book of stabbing checks for weakens

i like it, you need a balanced deck to win
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #371949

Had a successful strength and reaper build run eventually dumped all my defence because might as well gain it from powers and relics.

Screenies I took are an abomination cause my resolution was default and it won't let you change any of that shit without a restart.
Spoiler:
Headbutt is a goddamn trooper it's a really strong card. Repeatable gravedyard to topdeck support with damage included I abused the shit out of it with upgraded limit breaks which don't exhaust.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #372156

Did it with silent boi now, I know most people optimise their decks and reject more cards but I like em phat and I like brawlin.
Draw bullet time combo with some poison in the wings that frozen eye relic really made everything come together great knowing when a draw will provide next to no benefit/screw the next turn.
That book relic allows you to pick a card from three choices to add to the deck next turn (only for that combat) rad as fuck and you can skip it like a normal card choice.
Obv carried hard by the callipers in some fights but not as consistently as you could pull it if you minmaxed.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #372157

I find that poison only works if you have the specimen relic. other than that, it's pretty damn good
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #372192

Eh sorta ghetto'd it with multi hit attacks and 2 envenoms timing the triple the poison card is usually pgud.

Most on the poison inducing skills are shit on their own though to be fair.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #372735

Specimen is a huge help for poison, but really you need card copy and like, 2 catalysts

And then you bang out a 20 poison stack into 5000 poison damage in 1 turn
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #373151

THAT'S YOU ON DISCORD

UNFORGIVEN
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #378394

fuck the book of stabbing holy shit fuck it so much
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #378416

it used to be stronger
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #378448

winning run

time eater

lost run
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #378449

i joke but time eater is actually insane if you run any deck that requires you to play a 0 cost card, and a lot of decks like that. he's the sole reason i wouldn't pick anger on ironclad, and fuck just hope you don't get him on silent.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #378452

I beat him with a shiv silent, although i did have both kunai and shuriken on that run
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

bandit

Post by bandit » #378481

funnily enough I just slayed the spire with time eater as the final boss, he is a complete joke with ironclad if you have attacks that do damage worth a damn, or if you can just cheese him with whirlwind/necro/whatever

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #378484

bandit wrote:funnily enough I just slayed the spire with time eater as the final boss, he is a complete joke with ironclad if you have attacks that do damage worth a damn, or if you can just cheese him with whirlwind/necro/whatever
bandit wrote:funnily enough I just slayed the spire with time eater as the final boss
bandit wrote:funnily enough I just slayed the spire
bandit wrote:I just slayed the spire
bandit wrote:slayed the spire
bandit wrote:slayed

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bandit

Post by bandit » #378485

every time I slay the spire I take the lizard's tail so I can imagine the cruel murder of the lizard like you

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #378496

bandit wrote:every time I slay the spire I take the lizard's tail so I can imagine the cruel murder of the lizard like you

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bandit

Post by bandit » #378721

fuck the "you don't discard your hand" relic, it's a fucking trap, it means if you get wounds you keep those fucking wounds 5ever unless you have a mass exhaust, which I didn't

admin feedback pls
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #379155

Imagine if you had it an a damage inflicting curse like the one for playing cards or hand size.

Anyway wounds are a niche problem outside of stabby most deck flooders use ethereal statuses so they clean themselves up at turn end anyway.

Anyway I am fairly sure etherial player cards are pretty good oh you don't have the mana to play that or it isn't good enough right now? No problems mate I am tapping out see you next match.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #379512

bandit wrote:fuck the "you don't discard your hand" relic, it's a fucking trap, it means if you get wounds you keep those fucking wounds 5ever unless you have a mass exhaust, which I didn't
It isn't a trap. Like most of the boss relics it just has a downside that rewards you for building your deck around it, and you can sum up Slay The Spire as "Just because you could doesn't mean you should." The vast majority of the time you shouldn't add cards to your deck, the vast majority of the time you shouldn't take drawback boss relics, and the vast majority of the time you should actually be removing elements from your deck to increase consistency.

In the vast majority of decks its better to try to get a super low deck count and essentially get the same turn every time after your powers are set but without peacepipe this isn't a realistic goal, which makes something like handholding after a quick stab and prep the second most consistent way to get a game winning combo every hand. You basically go out of your way to create super turns 100% of the time just by virtue of always being able to hold a card draw or two in your hand on one turn and then next turn 100 to 0ing most enemies in the game. You may take some damage on your off turns but it generally is possible to just tank up and then go ham.

If you DON'T have silent cycle and your not a Ironclad Exhaust deck that wants to hold specific cards for specific moments, then yeah holding your hand is sorta a crutch that will backfire because its better to just stack your deck with cards you never will regret getting. But in general your goal in this game is to build around your first rare and first boss relic, and on silent if you get something like adrenaline early its a good relic to take.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #388177

Jesus Christ Cosmic you know your allowed to not take cards right? Like I am gunna do a big info dump in my standard overly repetitive style but the TL;DR is take WAY fewer cards. Like you generally can't possibly win a run if you take more than 30.

As ironclad maintain as low a deck size as you can while making sure you have more defense cards than offensive, that you don't overstuff on support skills like flex, that more of your attack cards are things that aren't strike than strike, and that you fill up on useful card cycle cards and powers that are immediately useful and directly helpful.

When your decksize gets larger than say... 3 full draws, not accounting for powers and cycle, you start having serious problems with consistency because your now more easily screwed by RNG. Its not just that its more likely you draw a hand of all one type of card when you really need the other, like all attack when you need defense. Its ALSO worse now, because it screws up your ratios for your future turns longer!

Beggers in Slay the Spire CAN be choosers. Past the initial part of the game, where you do really need to get better damage cards than your strikes into your deck pronto, you should be REALLY choosey about what cards enter your deck, because every sub-optimal card entering it makes it significantly worse.

Preperation, Escape Plan, Dark Pact, and Warcry are completely safe cards to add to your deck any time you find them. To a lesser extent, metalicize, iron wave, pommel strike, and footwork are also safe to add any time you get them.

The ideal deck in STS is small, like "Your entire deck is just your draw" small. The reason this doesn't actually work is because of the junk cards you start with, meaning you actually need to add like 10-15 cards to your deck and likely end with some odd 20-30 cards depending on how aggressively you could remove old ones. Your goal in deckbuilding isn't to get every powerful effect, its to get 1-3 win conditions you can achieve reasonably fast so that cultists and gremlin nobs don't buttfuck you, but that are potent enough once they get rolling to let you kill a timed bossfight like Champion, and to get those win conditions while always having enough defense to take negligible damage.

Ironclads generally are best played as infinite str stackers using demon form, limit break, or cobust/brutality/rupture to power up their attack cards infinitely high, and playing as slim a deck as possible filled with a few attacks and a few more defense cards, as well as supportive powers like metalicize. Ironclads get especially fucked by huge deck sizes because they can't easily draw or play a lot of cards without support cards like Dark Pact (arguably the best card in the game but not consistent enough to base your deck around) which means their deck getting 'gummed up' is worse.Ironclads therefore should be VERY selective with cards to win.

Ironclads should avoid any card that costs 3 that doesn't pretty much serve as their win condition, like barricade, and any cards, even powers, that contribute incidental chip damage, like firebreathing. The goal of the ironclad is to make the 1-2 attack cards they play a turn do upwards of half the target's health while still putting up enough defense to take 1-4 damage at most a turn. Classic Ironclad attacks for the endgame include iron wave (which allows you to basically have 100% of your deck be defense while you build str), heavy blade (because its fucking insane even with like 4 strength, forget about 10 or 30), whirlwind (Requires mana enhancements), twin strike (worse than heavy blade but a good card to get early if you can't find anything better. Its still better than strike), and rampage (the ultimate small deck card). A realistic deck to win with would be like 8 or so attacks, trying to ditch as many strikes as you can 10 defensive cards, and support cards like limit break, metalicize, rupture+combustion/brutality, demon form, flex. Dark pacts and warcrys don't count towards deck size.

Baracade is a bad card because its an entire turn to set yourself up for over-defense, which seems useful but it really isn't unless you can snag it early and build entirely around it. Your likely to take more damage by trying to use it, and its not consistent to build a deck around it and body slam. Baracade is a classic "Timmy" card where it seems super cool and strong but really is just goofy and bad unless the stars align. Anger is just a bad card because it increases the density of attack cards in your deck which is BAD in Ironclad for the most part. Immolate is a dead card outside of evolve decks and should in no way be taken if evolve is your only curse/injury source. Fiend Fire and Infernal Blade are ok cards but your already so flush with attacks they gum your engine up, and Fiend Fire is probably the worst 'multi-hit' you can have. Hemokenesis is a good card but only in the context of Rupture which you don't have so its bad. Headbutt is a bad card in big decks and mostly exists for slim decks to let you double dip really strong cards like limit break extremely consistently. Body slam is shit because your not able to stack defense high even if you culled a lot of attacks. Second wind reduces your skill to attack ratio which is, again, bad.

The main good choices you made were: taking whirlwind, taking limit break, taking demon form, taking flex, taking warcry, and taking flame barrier. Shrug it off is also rather good. But even the whirlwind combo is begging for a small deck that stacks str, defense, and uses mana enhancers.

It also looks like you didn't get rid of any strikes, which is a bad idea. Out of the gate, the most efficient things you can do are to ditch strkes and get better attack cards. About the highest value thing you can do to a STS deck is get rid of strikes.

The Silent generally win via poison, which is their most stackable win condition that wins fights vs rush opponents and long haul opponents equally well. It also doesn't depend on a ton of synergies, in fact one uncommon power is enough to turn it into a win condition. Silent decks are also often bigger, but only because silent has a lot of really great powers that don't cost a lot and that are useful, and a lot of card cycle. Silent is a bit more versatile in how it wins overall, and can in theory win by lots of attacks, but it does this with methods other than putting a lot of attack cards in its actual deck.

Overall, I recommend looking at your deck size every time your considering adding a card and thinking "If i got this card over the best card in my deck, would I be happy with myself?"

The answer is generally no, and you, past your first 3-5 card gains where your really being held back by strikes being your only attack and you need to augment damage by either finding hybrid attack-defense cards like flame barrier, cards that make you hit harder like flex, or just any attack more efficient than strike if your unlucky, you will want to refuse the majority of attacks you find that don't play into whatever win condition you first few cards got you..
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #388180

dezzmont wrote:
Baracade is a bad card because its an entire turn to set yourself up for over-defense, which seems useful but it really isn't. Your likely to take more damage by trying to use it, and its not consistent to build a deck around it and body slam. Baracade is a classic "Timmy" card where it seems super cool and strong but really is just goofy and bad.
Baracade takes most of a turn to set yourself up for over-defense so yes you will take damage the turn you use it, but the ironclad heals at the end of the battle and as long as your deck doesnt have too many attacks in it you can pretty well ensure you never take damage again once its set up, and that's without entrench. With entrench you can build enough block to one shot enemies with body slam. And body slam is a perfectly fine card even without baracade, its a zero cost attack once upgraded. I wouldn't recommend taking multiple win conditions, but barricade is perfectly respectable. The only issue is that it can struggle versus a bunch of low hp high or increasing damage enemies, so AOE is probably wise.

As for where you went wrong:
Flex - not a bad card, but I think its way overrated. You should have 4 energy a turn by the time you reach floor 3, so a hand with flex in it is a hand you probably have to play all the cards. It might be Flex, but it doesn't really improve Flexibility (if using limit break flex becomes awesome). The upgraded version of flex is good, but I'm not sure how high priority upgrading flex is.
Immolate - good synergy with power through and evolve, but requires luck and prep time before it can even do anything. Unreliable
Anger - filling your deck with low damage cards is going to go wrong when you need defense. Or actually good attack cards. Anger slowly turns your deck into 30 damage a turn, and in the third floor that just isn't going to cut it (ignore if you have spinning top)
Whirlwind isn't upgraded - upgrade this card its a life saver.
Fiend Fire - this is usually a waste of a card, although if you have a lot of draw and some STR stacking it can do ridiculous damage.
5 Strikes and 4 Defends - You should be able to remove some of these from your deck. Especially the strikes.
Barricade - I know I said it can be really good, but that requires a deck built around it with few attacks and a lot of defense. That is not your deck.
Thunderclap - It's kinda bad
Second Wind - Your deck doesnt have many defense cards and you want to keep them. Maybe with the wounds synergy you were going for it could work. Its iffy.
Twin Strike - It's just kinda bad

Mostly the issue seems to be a lack of defense
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #388181

Thete's something to be said for big decks. Not taking every card you're offered, but taking many will still give you a decent/good deck, with less risk than deck-thinning and hoping for a perfect combo, and are much less affected by statuses and curses. For some reason i seem to win mostly when building large decks.

Also headbutts are GREAT in large decks, they give you the benefit of drawing your trump card repeatedly regardless of deck size.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #388241

XDTM wrote:Thete's something to be said for big decks.
No there... really is not. Not only is it just not good in a general cardgame sense of it making it dramatically less likely for you to have any given card you want on the turn you want it, but the way Darkest Dungeon handles combat (Where you need to consistently get blocks but don't need to consistently get damage as long as you will come into your damage cards often enough) and card draw (where you generally can't hold onto cards) makes big decks almost unplayable.

There is just no real advantage to large decks at this time, outside of of course the fact that aside from one end game boss card cycle is really good and has no real cost if its a 0 cost card. Headbutt is worse in large decks because it slows down you cycling to the cards you want, if you draw into headbutt without your trump cards all headbutt does is slow you down from getting your trump cards.

All having a larger deck does is make it so you have a more varied set of cards you could have in your hand at a given time, and gives you more varied win conditions in a game where no given enemy can shut down your win condition besides enemies who simply kill you for having too slow a win condition, and large decks slow your win condition. There is literally no benefit, its all downside, as having lots of good attack cards just makes it harder for you to get the good support cards for the attack cards at the same time you have the attack cards, having too many support cards makes it less likely to have the attack cards with the support cards, and both make blocking consistently harder.

Having 30 or so cards, which is the upper end of viable, just makes it harder and harder to do this consistently even if you have the same ratio of cards because if you get flooded on any given turn your now borderline guarenteed to be flooded for the rest of that deck cycle. And having a big deck makes a flood more likely because each card you draw of a given type you don't need more of it reduces the odds of you drawing another card of that type less than in a smaller deck. In a 10 card deck split 50/50 the odds of you continually drawing say... attacks is borderline impossible, your odds of getting fewer than 2 defense cards in a given hand is borderline 0% meaning you will always be able to keep your HP up, but in a 30 card deck there is actually a pretty significant number of times where you will get less than 2 defense cards, and if you get more than 3 on a turn, which is, again, going to happen often enough, that chance jumps to nearly 100% more than once on that deck cycle.

Its just... there is just no upside to large decks. Slay the Spire is all about keeping your deck sleek and turning it into a hyper-efficient damage engine or else you won't be able to consistently reach the end. Maybe the next class will be some weird psychic blast deck that gets multiple cards that reward large decks, but as of right now the pace for the game could be summed up as "Get 3-5 offensive cards, then defensive and support cards, then try to remove all the base cards from the deck you can while keeping an eye out for good opportunities that have no real cost."
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #388252

Consistently reaching the end and trying to achieve hypersleek combo decks are not the same goal. For the latter a thin deck IS better (as long as you have the right cards). For the former a large deck can be consistent enough, while being far less risky to assemble, and far less vulnerable to mechanics that counter a single playstyle (e.g. Time Eater), or wound/burn stacking.

Basically, your reasoning would be absolutely valid if you could pick and choose your deck's cards, but instead you have to rely on RNG.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #388292

XDTM wrote:Consistently reaching the end and trying to achieve hypersleek combo decks are not the same goal. For the latter a thin deck IS better (as long as you have the right cards). For the former a large deck can be consistent enough, while being far less risky to assemble, and far less vulnerable to mechanics that counter a single playstyle (e.g. Time Eater), or wound/burn stacking.

Basically, your reasoning would be absolutely valid if you could pick and choose your deck's cards, but instead you have to rely on RNG.
Having a combo deck isn't required for a small deck to be better.

Even if none of your cards have synergy, making your deck bigger just to make it bigger has no upside, as your delaying yourself from getting your best cards and getting even ratios.

There is, again, no context in the game, besides psychic blast, that makes a large deck better as long as the deck is already working. You ALWAYS want to keep size down for many many reasons, from the fact it lets you draw into your optimal hands more often, to the fact it minimizes your chance of being block screwed. Time eater doesn't punish shuffling, he punishes playing cards. He literally exists to make small decks filled with the exact cards you want better and to punish overdepending on 0 cost cycle cards, but its still literally possible to beat him using The Silent and a 0 card cost cycle deck if it has the "On card play do X" effects!

This is not the same as saying "don't add cards at all unless its a game winning combo." You NEED to add cards to your deck at the beginning, because if your just using default strikes most elites and bosses, and some regular fights, just demolish you. But these early adds are not about increasing deck size. They are about offsetting the raw awfulness of strike cards, because even though adding random attack cards to your deck lowers the overall consistency of your draws, it still increases the average value of your draw because it reduces the chance of you only being able to fight with strikes.

HOWEVER after a certain point, and this point is rather quick and gets quicker as you remove strikes, this stops being true and your deck gets worse for each random attack you add.

The main skill in STS is being able to look at the 3 cards your offered and say "will this make my deck more consistent if I add it, knowing every added card inherently reduces consistency?" The answer, past the early game where you are rushing to offset the shittyness of strikes, is usually yes.
CosmicScientist wrote:I can try a smaller deck but I was concerned about not flooding my hand with status, especially against enemies that flood you, though I did turn down a true grit before I found my first power through and then besides a fiend fire I turned down, you can see the only cards I could take with exhaust another card on them. A big fat immolate.
Flooders mostly flood you because a fight took way too long (think hexaflame, which puts about 4 burns into your deck every 8 or so turns on a like 300 hp enemy, meaning you need to fail to do 300 HP of damage over 16 turns which is truly truly awful and slow), because you failed to block damage (Book of stabbing) or are putting etherial status cards into both your draw and discard, just your draw, or just your discard.

In all 3 cases, smaller decks do better. Again, the smaller deck needs to be functional and that means not depending on strikes for all its damage or blocks for all its utility, but a smaller deck:

Consistently deals its burst damage faster, meaning the "grinder" bosses can't flood you in time.

Consistently can do a full block more, which stops 'chip damage' enemies like Book of Stabbing

And vs etherial status tossers more is less floodable, because their smaller size means they reshuffle frequently and thus constantly start clearing the blockers before they can really junk you up. Dazed cards are essentially dead draws like a bad attack you can't play, the logic is identical, you want to minimize the potential flodding of any of those cards into a deck because it means dead turns become more and more likely. If it takes you 8 turns to get through a deck it means really bad things if suddenly your fighting the elite tossing 1.5 dazed into your draw and discards a turn. That means your dealing with 24 dazed cards before you have the chance to clear your discard of dazed cards. Worse because they are actually adding another turn onto your deck cycle. This means your next draw cycle will contain 12 dazed cards out of 30 cards meaning not only can 1/3 cards be a dazed (Which is standard for everyone) but a higher percentage of turns will include turns you can't block all damage or play all your mana. And then worse, because it took so long to cycle over it means your now spending even longer between each cycle.

Compare to a 20 card deck, which cycles in 4 turns, and thus gains only 12 cards of dazed, or 6 per deck. By dropping 10 cards your taking half as many dazed effects, and because the dazed cards remove a greater proportion of themselves from the pool of cards you can draw your dramatically less likely to flood out on them, allowing you to keep up damage and defense consistently through the fight. And your smaller deck makes it, again, easier to kill one of the 3 prisim jerks to reduce incoming dazed cards.

Again, its important to not read this as "Don't add new cards, ever" but instead to think of adding cards as inherently being a costly negative thing that has to be offset by what the new card brings to the table. In essence, you can imagine as each card you add to your deck needing to pull more weight than the last, which is why removing weak cards is considered so good its basically the most expensive benefit the game provides. It doesn't matter how good card 31 is, unless it inherently has some reason to not add to the cost of a fat deck (like being a 1 cost hyper-useful power, or being a cycle card) no text on it can be worth the bloat in deck. Card 13 though just needs to be better than what you already got because what you got is so bad.
bandit

Post by bandit » #389667

dezzmont wrote:
Baracade is a bad card because its an entire turn to set yourself up for over-defense, which seems useful but it really isn't. Your likely to take more damage by trying to use it, and its not consistent to build a deck around it and body slam. Baracade is a classic "Timmy" card where it seems super cool and strong but really is just goofy and bad.
and here we have the classic dezzmont "you're completely wrong" moment

Barricade + Body Slam + Entrench + any non-garbage defense cards: instant gg, particularly against bosses. It's better than strength scaling because you go up in attack and defense power at the same time, and much faster. You will obviously want all three upgraded because they each take 1 fewer energy to play. Body Slam upgraded is actually good in any deck.

Other cards: Impervious/Flame Barrier/Shrug it Off are your seed defense cards in order of being good. Draw/energy cards are always good and remain so. Feel No Pain turns any battle with Dazed into an absolute joke. Double Tap is pretty much always good, here included

Relics: Bottled Tornado is incredibly good for obvious reasons. Any of the block relics are obviously good. Any of the +energy relics remain good (the best boss relic, actually, is probably Runic Dome, because when you have 500 defense you don't give a shit what the enemy's doing).

Consistency: This is the most consistent way to win at Ironclad I have found out of anything, and really relies on three cards. Not even three, really - you don't NEED Entrench, it just makes it way easier. It's even possible to do a ghetto version with Calipers, although that is both rare and takes way longer, obviously, to get off the ground.
Thunderclap - It's kinda bad
Thunderclap isn't bad it's just a specific utility card, i.e: softening the field up before a Whirlwind/Cleave/Reaper which it is stupid good with

admin feedback pls
bandit

Post by bandit » #389671

also double post but HOLY SHIT FUCK THE DAILY CHALLENGE "you lose 1 max HP per room"

admin feedback pls
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #389749

bandit wrote:also double post but HOLY SHIT FUCK THE DAILY CHALLENGE "you lose 1 max HP per room"
LOL
bandit

Post by bandit » #389763

>facing the champ with like 30HP, also there's only one path and the seed is fixed and I didn't see any +maxHP items

>gg fucking no re

admin feedback pls
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #389781

bandit wrote:also double post but HOLY SHIT FUCK THE DAILY CHALLENGE "you lose 1 max HP per room"
edit: correction I died on the boss
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #399487

I am way late to this. Haven't beat the awakened one with the silent yet, but the other bosses have all been done. Fucking silent is just harder than ironclad. I like them more but playing on iron is just like lol do whatever mode, almost nothing fails synergywise.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #404263

EVERYBODY SCREAM THIRD CHARACTER OUT
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #404264

AHHHHHHHHH. Why is this the same time as witchwood dungeon run.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #404272

Nabski wrote:AHHHHHHHHH. Why is this the same time as witchwood dungeon run.
literally this
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #405385

I'm still bad at the game due to loving smashing my face into risks I should avoid but been having a ball with this good boy.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #405410

I made it to the last boss once with him and just kept getting my shit kicked in otherwise. When I try to go ice orbs I die to scaling. When I go lightning I slowly bleed to death. The free power card a turn seems kinda mana intensive and stupid, but echo form and the 3 cost do a bunch of damage if it kills get your energy back seems amazing.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #405431

Does this game come before or after Cuphead in the Dark Souls series? It obviously comes before Crash N Sane trilogy but its place in the lore perplexes me
bandit

Post by bandit » #410664

has anyone played the third dude (in beta) yet

admin feedback pls
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #410681

Yes so much. The first few days of repeatable focus boosts were amazing and you should be sad you missed it.

Depending on how you do it you can have amazing late scaling, but often lacks in defenses early on and struggles when he needs to burn a dude down. They've since added cards to help with these weaknesses.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #410743

Starts out bad at defense, and there are a lot of bad builds that seem like they should work, but the third dude is pretty fun. Lots of combos.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #410796

Boot sequence is a must.