Into The Breach

Talk about video games here
ManyBones
Byond Username: ManyBones

Into The Breach

Post by ManyBones » #385969

From the creators of FTL: BUY THIS FUCKING GAME NOW

Now seriously, this game is gold. It's minimalistic, It has simple mechanics but a lot of depth, very replayable, but I feel It's not as difficult or frustating as FTL, everything bad that happens here is your fault since RNG is minimized. It's like chess meets Pacific Rim, you have to think each turn very carefully or you will get absolutely destroyed.

Here you have some gameplay and such, if you need those things
[youtube]C0uY65UN_og[/youtube]
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Into The Breach

Post by Ikarrus » #386029

While Stellaris is unfucking their shit I’ve been playing this

Game is noticeably easier than FTL, but so far has been exceedingly satisfying to play.

I dont know how to feel about doing different game lengths like they do, though
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #387039

Game is too easy, Hard is the patrician's difficulty
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #387052

Does your mech line-up ever change because I feel like this game doesn't have enough depth to keep me going much longer, fun as it is.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
ManyBones
Byond Username: ManyBones

Post by ManyBones » #387060

I'm back about 20 hours of gameplay later and yep, it feels very easy. Although I have not tried it on hard
Stickymayhem wrote:Does your mech line-up ever change because I feel like this game doesn't have enough depth to keep me going much longer, fun as it is.
There is like 8 different mech squads that you unlock via achievements, like in FTL. You can also customize them
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #387076

ManyBones wrote:I'm back about 20 hours of gameplay later and yep, it feels very easy. Although I have not tried it on hard
Stickymayhem wrote:Does your mech line-up ever change because I feel like this game doesn't have enough depth to keep me going much longer, fun as it is.
There is like 8 different mech squads that you unlock via achievements, like in FTL. You can also customize them
Oh sweet thanks
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #387233

I can see how the game can be pretty easy but some mech squads are pretty bad.

Blitzkrieg will easily annihilate allies with chain lightning there is a mod to make it not kill building but eh some objectives are units so watch out for that, the grappling tank has armour and no damage but like all armour doesn't scale so if you upgrade the prime lighting guy it will be roasted, the ranged unit has insane anti synergy with the entire set the rock pushing to the side breaks the chains the prime needs to attack but other than that the only good mech
The steel judoka are woefully under gunned but a bit better than lighting doods, the prime is hilarious straight up unable to attack if something stands behind it their scientist is one of the most inept player units I have seen the pull grav well is hapless and un-upgradable and inferior to a direct shot push I think. Their artillery is nice but you are going to need the no building damage perk VERY soon and even then expect friendly push damage.

Meanwhile rusting hulks are robust as fuck had a complete run with em if you upgrade smoke damage and get nice shit like smoke bomb and the non damaging smoke jump for the scientist to use you can carpet over half the battlefield in disabling murderous smoke. Their artillery weapon is a personal favourite if a mook closes with it just fire in the opposite direction to cancel the attack and do two damage (upgrade the smoke damage as soon as you can!) the combined single target damage of four and pushing the target destroys enemy elites easily.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #387256

Games alright but nowhere close to what FTL was. I'm a little disappointed since FTL was such a hit and I sunk a shitload of time into but it's still a solid game and probably worth a good 10-20 hours of play through I'd say. Game could of used a bit more lore as well, One of things I liked was all the little scraps of information you'd get about the species in ftl but in this it's all rather sparse.

On a related note, Blitz team can suck my hairy nuts.

>defend the train
>chain lightning.

Fuck you.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #387257

How long is the playtime i'm considering buying
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #387271

This game is a lot cooler than FTL imo but I never really got the FTL hype

It's a neat SRPG/puzzle deal, I guess i'm retarded cause it's been kinda tough for me so far but I think i've been playing the game way too fast

Hope they have some updates/expacs and stuff or at least modding support like FTL.
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #387295

Armhulen wrote:How long is the playtime i'm considering buying
You can beat it on your first run easily enough in under an hour, but to unlock most of the teams it would probably take ten hours if you're good player enough player. It's an interesting game and decent fun if you've got some spare cash but like I said, it's no ftl.

Good thing I didn't pay anything :^)
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #387312

What do you mean, this is totally FTL, it even has Zoltans.

One big thing I don't like about this game is the RNG unlocking system. Half the time I find a pilot mid-campaign, it ends up being the starter pilot.

Rift Walkers, Rustling Hulks, Blitzkrieg are all top tier
The team with Metal gear is pretty frustrating to play with, and Hazardous Mechs are just weird
I also ran a custom team with nothing but Punch Mechs with Prospero, and ho boy the vek never had a chance. By the end they all had the same upgrades that gave them 4 damage a punch, and anything they could not reach Prospero would just fly over. They inadvertently became my top scoring team by far
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #387345

If you want to unlock all the teams you are looking at a lot of playtime especially with some of the harder to handle ones because like late ftl you do dumb team gimmicks to get chievos and for some of them they aren't really anything to do with optimally playing the team.

Hazardous mechs are mad baller and I just finished a run with them.
Just put Abe on one of the damage dealers so his innate armour lets you use the cheap damage up like it's the vanilla weapon and shred through the early game.
Also if you kill yourself dealing damage and your target directly dies then and there you basically resurrect.
Be warned spider eggs and rocks give no kills robots and spiders are tho.

Once they take off the damage and utility is absurd I had spare power couldn't even install decent shit for. You will find yourself using the backblast on the brute to kill fodder, bosses and alphas melt when toxed and are generally nothing and the prime is a real gem basically arty with no minimum range and able to hop out of binds.
Killing shit super fast and then sitting on their spawns in late game normal.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #387741

The best way to protect a train is to fucking freeze it so it stops running into shit.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #388173

I think I found my favourite squad: The Frozen Titans

Lets look at the mech loadout

Aegis: A really good melee unit that doesn't push enemies, so you don't have to worry about hitting them into buildings. 2-3 damage, changes direction of enemy attack, and generates a shield after attacking, which makes it a good candidate for blocking enemy fire and spawn points without taking damage

Ice: Freezes targets and itself, lobbed projectile. You may think the downside is the self-freezing making this unit only useful every other round, but there is so much more utility in that. Like the aegis, you can block enemy fire and enemy spawns without taking any damage yourself, and freeing that unit to act on your next turn.

Mirror: Decent but unwieldy tank that attacks in both forward and backwards. Not the greatest but can do a lot of damage in the right situation. Also the only one without a shield, but then I have Mafan (Zoltan) pilot it.

Suddenly I have a team where everyone has a shield and is capable of neutralizing a target regardless of its health every turn. They gave me a perfect run fulfilling 5 challenge achievements, no failed objectives, and no damage taken.

I really want that Secret Squad that requires all achievements to unlock. The only one I forsee giving me lots of headaches is Lightning War for the Blitz team
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Durkel

Post by Durkel » #388179

Lightning war is easy since you can do the achievements on easy. Just yolo that shit.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #388191

Lightning war deserves being cheesed on easy since it counts between maps menu time it can suck it.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #391733

Well that was fun unlocking everything. Apparently, hornets are the worst, Prospero is my best pilot, and my highest scoring squad is some Random I rolled

Secret squad was interesting to play as. Start out underpowered but get pretty OP by the end with all three mechs capable of dealing 3 pushing damage to multiple targets each

I guess I'll be back when they come up with an Advanced Edition
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?