Warcraft 3 - Custom Games

Talk about video games here
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Warcraft 3 - Custom Games

Post by Qustinnus » #394233

hello gamers, anyone of you who is a r e a l gamer has probably played Warcraft 3 back in the day. I'm kinda interested in playing it again but public lobbies are infested with russians and bots, which makes me a sad man, so I was wondering if any of you would maybe be interested in playing WC3 custom maps sometimes? For anyone that doesn't know, WC3 had a great scenario editor that was elaborate enough for people to make proper gamemodes (the DOTA that came before DOTA 2 was a warcraft map).

so anyone interested in playing custom games sometimes? If we get enough people we can probably host either through the normal battle.net servers or through a LAN client (because I know some of you fucks will probably download wc3) and play for good old nostalgia sake.

also, post your favorite WC3 maps

https://sites.google.com/site/w3sur5al/Home/surchaos
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/ci ... 35d.81109/
http://awlr.wikia.com/wiki/Azeroth_Wars ... eborn_Wiki (This one is quite elaborate and I've never managed to play a proper match of it)
https://www.epicwar.com/maps/268106/
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Warcraft 3 - Custom Games

Post by Nabski » #394244

Azeroth wars used to be my jam.

Red and Purple were the hero kings and required massive attention at the start of the game.
Blue was fun to play because if you summoned you had everything going for you, but it was mostly stealth micro.
Orange required too much spam clicking for spells to be powerful. Green was solid but you didn't have a frontline so it struggled lategame if you ended up solo.

Pink and Grey both had similar enough play styles, but I liked pink more for the unit comps as they had better casters and less expensive units.
Elves were great on either side as you had a good mix of units, but you typically had to play hard on defense at first and one or two bad engagements could completely wreck you.

Dark Green doesn't have too much seeming to go for it, but they had the best heros late game and no real army comp weaknesses.
Yellow was lovely support but their endgame scenarios were weak.

Teal was a lovely mix of early aggression with a strong lategame but if DG knew what they were doing you would have a bad time. Pairing this with their unrevivable heros made for a bad time. I THINK if you finished the fight down south you could then revive.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #394303

Uther party was amusing
As well as all those other minigame things

Dota and bots killed the greatness of warcraft 3 custom maps
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #394310

When are we having a warcraft 3 night? need to play some Run Gay Run
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #394315

Man i loved those
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #394339

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #394341

run gay run was great. Uther Party was even better though, all the minigame maps were great in general.
Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #394348

Wintermaul wars and hero line wars is the best
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #451701

WE'RE BACK BITCHES REMASTER WOO
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #451708

Hurrah for remaster. Hope they improve the graphics a bit or give a zoom out function.

As for good old customs,

S3 Marine Corp series (Survival, Defenseand Infiltration) was fun to burn through with friends.

Missile Command/Wars (there's literally dozens of these, I don't even remember the 'good' one was called) was a goofy but fun team v team game that was basically spreadsheet wars with more explosions.

The Black Road might have been the best RPG on War3 though it inevitably evolved into a mindless grind for levels after you beat it 5+ times. There was a pokemon-lite one similiar to it that let you fuse monsters to make better monsters though I can't remember what it was.

11th Vampire was a good 5v5+1 wildcard RPG that took advantage of the day/night system.

ENFOS Team Survival was so much better than Dota but didn't have the nolife author that was icefrog so it didn't get as many updates. Mix Dota heroes system with a tower defense style wave survival, and throw in some PvP mechanics equivalent to throwing a cat at your opponent while playing jenga and you get the idea.

NOTD (again, dozens of these but this was the one I was fond of) had a fun gameplay with the different classes synergizing well. Though it got real boring real fast if everyone wanted to turtle.

Pretty much any of the LotR RPGs were good times, to loosely include Helms Deep and the middle earth battle for gondor style maps.

Dark Deeds also deserves a mention since it was The Thing but with shit to do during the day that let the towns folk arm up and fight back.

Zerg Infestation was an amazing take on the murder mystery genre with the zerg constantly attacking and the infected marine quitely dismantling the base so the zerg could over run the loyalists. If everyone focused on finding the infested and nobody defended the infested could still win if they lead the goose chase long enough for the zerg waves to overrun the surfaces defenses.

Edit: Added some links.
Last edited by Davidchan on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #451712

I still think parasite 2 was the best of the unknown traitor genre there. The similiarity to space station is not lost on me here. Dark deeds or the werewolf Transylvania one is solid. The starcraft one was fun because people had to defend

Also I loved Swat Aftermath, I thought the classes were much better than NOTD as well as objectives and balance. It didn't have the ammo system the NOTD had which made it cool. You couldn't turtle in it because your three objectives every time were "Clear rad shards, Deconvert some zombies into survivors, and refill generators (Using your own energy that also powered your shields)". It's just an all around better game. http://redscull.com/swat/
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #451743

NOTD 2 and NOTD: Aftermath
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #451823

Gotta admit I always hated the werewolf and typical vampire maps. Just really bad cat and mouse maps and the meta being to kill all your converts just made it especially unfun if you got caught out of position and killed.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #451831

I've been doing trolls vs elves and it's in that type. Gain money from attacking as troll(vampire). On death they get to pick which side to be on and they respawn. Starts a new round after everyone is eliminated.

But some of the vamp ones were cancer.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #451905

I also spent more time than I care to admit playing DBZ maps because I was amazed by the text triggers at the time and other goofy shit that was in them, but I'd have to be pretty drunk to go back and dig through them.