Hearthstone Witchwood is coming soon!

Talk about video games here
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Hearthstone Witchwood is coming soon!

Post by Armhulen » #397740

hello, fellow hearthstoners! here's our megathread. yes, i will miss updating the op sometimes

WITCHWOOD REVEAL SCHEDULE
SITE I USE TO ACTUALLY SEE THE NEW CARDS WHEN THEY COME IN
^^ hearthstone comes in many languages, many of which I don't know, so use this website. you will thank me

NEWEST CARD REVEALED:
Druid of the Scythe! 3 mana 2/2 druid card that has choose one - transform into a 4/2 with rush or a 2/4 with taunt
Bewitched Guardian! 5 mana 4/1 druid card that has taunt and battlecry: gain 1 health for every card in your hand
Ferocious Howl! 3 mana spell druid card that draws a card and gains armor for each card in hand
Paragon of light! 3 mana 2/5 paladin card that gains taunt and lifesteal while it has 3 or more attack

I'm not convinced by Druid of the Scythe, there's nothing crazy about a 4/2 rush for 3 (lotta better cards) and a 3 mana 2/4 taunt just kind of sucks. you powercreeped silverback patriarch and now you must pay the iron price
Bewitched Guardian is a card for the archetype of hand druid. and yes it will be paid, big hp taunts with ok attack are fantastic, it's worth the one extra mana you're playing. in reality, the value is really coming from having 4 twilight drakes in your deck.
Ferocious Howl is shield block but better unless you're playing hand druid wrong. and if you have no cards as hand druid oh GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING. anyways, its good and i love it
Paragon of light is bad. Handbuffing rotating out and I don't think dumping spells for that lifesteal is really worth it. i'm not playing sound the bells fuck you

CARDS REVEALED ITT:
Witchwood Piper! 4 mana 3/3 that draws a minion from your deck with the lowest mana cost.

This is a good card. you can draw Archmage Arugal, Prince Keleseth, face collector, there's a lot of fun stuff you can do with it.

Arcane Keysmith and Bonfire Elemental! Arcane Keysmith is a 4 mana 2/2 that discovers a secret then plays it. Bonfire Elemental is a 5 mana 5/5 elemental that draws a card if you've played a card last turn.

Bonfire Elemental is good, and helps you find lich jaina faster. neat! now the question is if this is enough to make elemental mage
Arcane Keysmith is great as per usual yep that's crazy i don't know how much but the chances of getting 3 mana fireballed has just increased fuck

Book of Specters, Mossy Horror, Festeroot Hulk and Splitting Festeroot! Just read them online, it's a ton to post from my phone.

Book of specters is probably bad but if you wanted a spiteful mage deck... here it is I guess. Bad card. 1 star.
Mossy horror is good against paladin, great against voidlord voidwalkers and concede-level against a spreading plague. It's ok against aggro too but aggro usually has stronger minions and at 6 mana you should really be looking for a real mans aoe.
Festeroot hulk is something. We have gurubashi berserker and it doesn't see play, I don't have high hopes but maybe rush makes this card work out.
Splitting Festeroot is extremely promising coming at 12/12 in stats for 8 mana, sadly it's incredibly slow. That being said good luck killing this thing, it's hiding behind so many deathrattles. Finally, it gets owned by silences and Godfrey. We'll see if it becomes our next violet wurm

Countess Ashmore! 7 mana 6/6 with Battlecry: Draw a Rush, Lifesteal and Deathrattle card from your deck.

Neat, curator will not be leaving I guess. It is notable that the Countess trades the Curator's taunt for 2 attack, which makes it worse imo. On the other hand deathrattles rushes and lifesteal is at least moderately more common than drakes and murlocs.

Totem Cruncher! 4 mana 2/3 Beast with Taunt and Battlecry: destroy all of your totems and gain +2/+2 for each totem destroyed

Works with nightmare amalgam, easy ramping into huge monster card with genn giving cheap totems every turn. Hermit might also be nice
Last edited by Armhulen on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Re: Hearthstone Witchwood is coming soon!

Post by CitrusGender » #397749

moved this topic to the correct forum
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #397756

CitrusGender wrote:moved this topic to the correct forum
What the fuck
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #397787

Totem cruncher is shit lmao.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #397797

Durkel wrote:Totem cruncher is shit lmao.
It's decent for early game build up to hagatha. Updating op with the newest card, not curator.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #397813

the funny thing is that everyone complains about RNG but they all lose their shit when they make ways to tutor every single card in your deck or cheat out massive minions in the early game

As Pawnyhof said, hearthstone is a casual game that can be played competitively. For reference, CSGO is a competitive game that can be played casually
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #397866

Overnight, two cards: book of specters and mossy horror. Updating op again
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #397867

Grazyn wrote:the funny thing is that everyone complains about RNG but they all lose their shit when they make ways to tutor every single card in your deck or cheat out massive minions in the early game

As Pawnyhof said, hearthstone is a casual game that can be played competitively. For reference, CSGO is a competitive game that can be played casually
Luck happens and it will fuck you over but generally pros play more consistent decks, in history this was jade and 4 mana 7/7. But mage has always been played even though it's the most wildly rng class, so
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #397906

are they buffing cubelock
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #397907

Nilons wrote:are they buffing cubelock
Voodoo doll is kind of insane with dark pact or other things warlock have
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #397909

cubelock/controlock won't survive the loss of mistress of mixtures. You can write this down
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #398046

Get ready for a real shit show.

Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398050

Durkel wrote:Get ready for a real shit show.

combine this with face collector so tess can play three legendary minions.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398072

Highly unlikely to see play as its an 8 mana 6/6 without an immediate board effect in a class that already has insanely good tools for value generation. I am fucking retarded and read 'replay' as 'replace.' That seems like it would be insane in some burgle miracle deck. Fucking Yog 2.0 right there but with more consistent results.

Rogue's power level from this set seems deliberately low. The echo theme seems to not work very well when you math it out and while it will be a more value oriented set it probably will be so slow as a theme that its too easy to crush you.

The big winner for this set seems to be warrior both because odd warrior potentially allows control warrior to exist again (If they can somehow find replacements for a lot of staple 2 mana warrior control cards like execute and slam, which is full well possible) and because rush seems quite strong.

Totem Cruncher will not see serious play as it is too vulnerable to removal that will be targeting the cubelocks such as silences and transforms. Considering they are pushing Shaman spell generation this set and aren't giving shamans any real power cards (which is logical as shaman can go nuts really fast as they have a weird balance point where its easy for them to go insane) its likely that shaman will be a dead class for yet another expansion.

It is likely the meta will be slowing down yet again to be even more trade-value oriented unless something crazy happens with either even or odd Hunter. There are a lot of strong defensive tools in set and hero power upgrades/discounts generally make it harder to rush people out.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398084

dezzmont wrote:Considering they are pushing Shaman spell generation this set and aren't giving shamans any real power cards (which is logical as shaman can go nuts really fast as they have a weird balance point where its easy for them to go insane) its likely that shaman will be a dead class for yet another expansion.
It's hard to say this when less than half of the cards are revealed, and that means not a single shaman spell has been shown.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398103

Armhulen wrote:
dezzmont wrote:Considering they are pushing Shaman spell generation this set and aren't giving shamans any real power cards (which is logical as shaman can go nuts really fast as they have a weird balance point where its easy for them to go insane) its likely that shaman will be a dead class for yet another expansion.
It's hard to say this when less than half of the cards are revealed, and that means not a single shaman spell has been shown.
Unless almost every new shaman spell is a good spell, more than half the spells you roll as Shaman will range from bad to unplayable, meaning that you have the triple threat of a random effect on a class that is already weak generating weak random effects.

While Shaman has some really good spells, overall its spell list is one of the worst in the game to generate spells from. So while it is POSSIBLE they will print a bunch of shaman spells that knock people's socks off, it is rather unlikely unless they do to Shaman what they did to Priest in Mean Streets and just make all their class cards crazy strong. Even if all 5 shaman cards were good spells it wouldn't be enough to save Shaman spell generation, you would need Shaman spells that are bonkers busted at this point to make this theme work.

Considering the power level for the revealed shaman cards so far are rather low, that we have seen half of them, and the fact they felt comfortable giving shaman spell generation to ALL CLASSES, it is pretty clear they have no intention of raising the shaman power level.

I think Blizzard is very aware that Shaman is an unhealthy class because of how much reach it has, and Shamanstone became a thing because of its easy access to good spells and minions. Increasing the density of good Shaman spells while introducing shaman spell generation is about the least likely move I can imagine them making because a Shaman only needs like 1-2 good agro minions and 1-2 extra spells on top of the base set package to be a non-interactive OTK deck.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398119

newest card revealed!

sPiTfUlL mAgEeEeE
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398125

That certainly is a card. And with the new draw 3 for 2 card you could turn 4 draw 3 or 2 cards and double them to go up 3 cards for 5 mana with a 2/2 high priority target on the board which is kiiiiinda nuts?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398126

Yeah it's not bad at all i just don't know if there's a minion heavy mage out there right now this could work with
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398149

I mean you just slap this and Aluneth in a deck together and the value is just nutso. I think it is good enough to be borderline auto include in all but the most minion lite decks just because it has such a flexible cost you don't generally see on value based minions. Especially crazy in elemental mage.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #398154

dezzmont wrote:I mean you just slap this and Aluneth in a deck together and the value is just nutso. I think it is good enough to be borderline auto include in all but the most minion lite decks just because it has such a flexible cost you don't generally see on value based minions. Especially crazy in elemental mage.
It's not going to survive one turn (especially at turn 8+ since you're playing it the same turn as aluneth) so you'll only get a couple copies from aluneth. And then you'll be stuck with a hand full of minions you won't be able to play while you mill yourself every turn
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398161

Grazyn wrote:
dezzmont wrote:I mean you just slap this and Aluneth in a deck together and the value is just nutso. I think it is good enough to be borderline auto include in all but the most minion lite decks just because it has such a flexible cost you don't generally see on value based minions. Especially crazy in elemental mage.
It's not going to survive one turn (especially at turn 8+ since you're playing it the same turn as aluneth) so you'll only get a couple copies from aluneth. And then you'll be stuck with a hand full of minions you won't be able to play while you mill yourself every turn
I don't understand this logic at all.

First of all, Aluneth lasts 3 turns, meaning while it is an 8 mana combo, you can play it turn 2 of the Aluneth and thus defend it if you want to, and you will always get at least 3 draws under the doubling effect. You could even hold it for the last turn of Aluneth if your really that worried about overdraw, but a tempo mage or elemental tempo mage wouldn't care too badly and could dump cards fast enough to only lose 1-2 cards out of the deal.

Secondly, you will always have mana to play the minions you want to play because the combo triggers at the end of turn, so once you get the cards you can dump em out.

If the logic is that Aluneth itself is bad... it... isn't? It sees a near 100% play rate in any tempo based mage and helps define the deck.

It just seems like a weird rebuttal because the logic inherently self contradicts. Is it generating too few resources from Aluneth because it only will likely last one turn, or too many because it may burn a card from your deck?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #398164

Aluneth doesn't last 3 turns, it doesn't lose durability so it lasts for the rest of the game (unless it gets destroy by opponent). It's good in tempo mage because you're using cheap spells and secrets which also helps you cheat out minions at 0 mana (I'm late I'm late which is rotating and kirin tor mage), but in a minion heavy deck with arugal and the new "draw 3" card it's not that good. Scenario, you're at turn 8, play aluneth and arugal (which is already kinda bad in the late game), aluneth draws you 3+2/3 copies+1 draw for next turn. Arugal is killed (if you're lucky), now your hand is full of either cheap low stat minions, which are not that good at turn 9+, or big ones, which are not easy to dump. And Aluneth is going to refill your hand every turn, milling you in the process (and maybe destroying your good minions). And on top of that you have the "draw 3" card which is also milling your cheap spells.

However, it would be really good if they also release some cards to cheat out minions from your hand.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398167

Well jeez I am retarded... what the hell was I thinking of? The Druid weapon?

That said, minion cheating seems to be a 'theme' of the set, so it is likely that Mage can do something with that.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #398175

A draw engine is good for aggro decks if they want to avoid running out of steam (think divine favor). But aggro decks with cheap minions like murloc paladin, aggro druid or old pirate warrior all had 2 things in common, synergies and buffs. Mage doesn't have buffs, but does it have enough good cheap minions to work as an aggro deck that can make use of the new legendaries and aluneth? I honestly don't know, but it seems that all the cheap mage minions have synergies with spells, they're not so good on their own.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398344

final shaman and pally legendaries

ALSO UPDATED OP FINALLY
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #398345

I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #398352

Xhuis wrote:a giant image
exodia druid? no wait you can stop that with one s l i m y b o i
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398353

new card boyz Image
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #398507

gnomish inventor but you can control what you draw but it's almost always not great
unless you put a single one in a big deck or something
i guess if you have no minions at 4 mana or less except it, you can play it on 4 and get a 5-cost boi
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398513

factoryman942 wrote:gnomish inventor but you can control what you draw but it's almost always not great
unless you put a single one in a big deck or something
i guess if you have no minions at 4 mana or less except it, you can play it on 4 and get a 5-cost boi
no, just use it with arugal and or bloodmage thalnos and or keleseth

also updating op now
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #398530

I think that it is meant to help out even cost decks with consistency.

It drawing your lowest should be seen as an upside because it gets you a known quantity. Even though your low cost cards aren't the strongest cards in your deck you put them in there for a reason, and any card draw that allows you to roughly know what you get is a big deal.

It allows you to play it not as a 4 mana 3-3 but as a 6 mana 6-5 or so which deck-thins and which often has upsides on its stats. Because a few of the new lower cost even cards also deckthin, that can get you a lot of crud out of your deck to prepare for topdeck mode, especially because a lot of draw engines that act as more than a cantrip in many classes are odd.

Some classes also have extremely high value low cost minions. Warlock with librarian, rogue with Edwin, mage with Sorcs apprentice, Arcanologist, AND the new 2/2 that for bonus points synergizes with the effect if you already have him.

And, of course, it can help with combo pieces that are low cost. Exodia mage comes directly to mind as it lets you assemble the sorc's apprentices more consistently. So any combo deck wants this for its thinning nature, but combo decks that have low cost pieces especially might love this thing.

It may be too slow, that is the real question, but its effect is clearly good and any specific card draw in any TCG WILL see play as long as the card it draws could be useful, and even sometimes not. And people deliberately put 1-2 cost minions in their deck already...
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #398633

op updated

The final card reveal stream for The Witchwood will be taking place on April 9th, 2018 at 11am PST (8pm CEST). In this post we will be featuring a full card list of what is revealed during the stream! Once the stream starts, be sure to refresh the page because the cards will be being added quickly. You can also check us out on Twitter where I will be posting them as soon as they are shown.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #399538

IT OUT BOYS