Talk about video games here
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

FrostPunk - aka Limb Losing Simulator

Post by srifenbyxp » #405092

It's cold, how cold?
Spoiler:
Pretty fucking cold bro
The same studio that made This War of Mine decided to make another game that loves to butt fuck you with terrible weather. You deal with constant fuel shortages, material shortages, and pretty fucking cold weather, did I mention that the weather can drop x4? Shit's fucked and you can beat asses one or two ways, be a wuss and go for the faith and spiritual law or be practical and put boots to asses when someone acts a fool. I've only survived 24 days on normal before I got double fucked by the weather but its pretty damn fun. Be sure to build that beacon ASAP.

Genre: RTS - Resource Management

[youtube]YPCgltNJoHI[/youtube]
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
ManyBones
Byond Username: ManyBones

Re: FrostPunk - aka Limb Losing Simulator

Post by ManyBones » #405103

I played it yesterday, but only about four hours or so, so I don't have a full opinion yet. Things that I like are the cold mechanics and the reactor, things that probably I wont like is micromanaging cold in the late game and realising you fucked your city planning in the early game and having to restart. But the game is good, nonetheless.

The best tip for this game probably, its rush extended and emergency shift ASAP and spam them in the workshop when you can.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #405106

There's a storm that goes down to -90 and it's fucking stupid I can't survive it no matter what.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #405109

Try to huddle all of the houses as close together as possible and it's almost mandated to have all houses the second house upgrade before day 16, come that -90 weather your fucked if you don't. When you send out a scouting party they can bring you back 200 wood in a few days ti ramp shit up.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #405113

During the storm your scouts die outside though
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #405121

I think thats RNG'd, because my last playthrough I fucked up some bears and my scouts didn't die. This time they did, and this is twice that my scouts didn't die in -90F
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #405147

srifenbyxp wrote:I think thats RNG'd, because my last playthrough I fucked up some bears and my scouts didn't die. This time they did, and this is twice that my scouts didn't die in -90F
There is a storm where you're warned to bring your scouts home or they die. It also freezes over your hothouses and prevents hunting so you have to stockpile food and tough it out.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #405330

Managed to actually survive -200F weather. Only lost 100+ people in the process.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #405339

srifenbyxp wrote:Managed to actually survive -200F weather. Only lost 100+ people in the process.
profile picture works very well with this post, you evil evil man.

So, this isn't out yet I guess? it seems a little close-ended, not to be mean. I You just build in one crater, what's the CATCH is my point.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #405376

Armhulen wrote:
srifenbyxp wrote:Managed to actually survive -200F weather. Only lost 100+ people in the process.
profile picture works very well with this post, you evil evil man.

So, this isn't out yet I guess? it seems a little close-ended, not to be mean. I You just build in one crater, what's the CATCH is my point.
It's a pretty focused thing. There are multiple scenarios but it's very much a "We built this fairly complex system and there are five variant scenarios to use that system in" a bit like a board game.

I would say it was overpriced but it's extremely polished and very pretty so I can't complain really.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #405455

I managed a "win" in the main scenario

Left with 30 people and extreme despotism

But at least they lived
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #405590

Haven't played it yet, but I'm a huge fan of This War Of Mine, so I'm probably gonna try it tonight.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #405638

Once you get Advance Coal Mines and 2 Auto-Robits it's basically GG, don't worry about freezing. It's the shitty events that get you, I lost most of my people to them again on a second main scenario playthrough- then again I want mah heat. Where else can I sink my heat?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #406710

>manage to save my people from the storm in scenario "YES BUT AT WHAT COST." At the cost of them all not dying you preachy game, christ.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #406751

Oh no the gubmint made us eat soup

AT WHAT COST
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #407066

I watched a few streamers play and none of the scenarios look very long. Also they like to just cut you off after certain points, like if you didn't meet an important objective.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #409716

Roughly how much content is in this? It looks intriguing but I'm not sure about 30 bucks. I hear that the devs are still adding content. How's that going?
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #409724

No new content yet though I believe they patched some bugs

As it currently stands, there's 3 base scenarios with different challenges in each

Arguably the hardest one has you tasked with hordes of unwashed migrants and then a horde of sick rich fucks that don't like work and expect more food

Once you know what you're doing each is only about 2 hours of actual work but trial and error will probably see you burning 10-15 hours with the current amount of content
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #410605

Takeguru wrote: Arguably the hardest one has you tasked with hordes of unwashed migrants and then a horde of sick rich fucks that don't like work and expect more food
Money has no value at the end of the world, Comrade.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #418424

That was fun. The way the main scenario ended with the premise and music was very well done.

The game basically dead-drops you into the game with very little explanation, but once you get the hang of it it gets really easy. I used plenty of automatons and checked the economy screen every once in a while. Managed to finish A New Home with ~650 population, 0 non-event deaths and a massive surplus of every resource. Really enjoyed how everyone pulled together at the end, volunteering for emergency shifts. It even told me "We have not crossed the line" at the end.

Never even touched hothouses or outposts.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #418436

XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #418640

Sadly, game doesn't start for me

Tried all the common workarounds including running as admin, no steam overlay, making sure I have some specific windows updates, grabbing .dll files, and chanting to the machine spirits.
Looked fun though
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #418659

Anonmare wrote:Image
armhulen, ca. 2018, colourised
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #427522

XSI wrote:Sadly, game doesn't start for me

Tried all the common workarounds including running as admin, no steam overlay, making sure I have some specific windows updates, grabbing .dll files, and chanting to the machine spirits.
Looked fun though
The game didn't work for me until I updated my graphics drivers. Did you give that a try?
► Show Spoiler
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #427527

Indeed, updated everything, still nothing