Vidya Game Problems

Talk about video games here
FredNodoor
Byond Username: Anonwizard404

Vidya Game Problems

Post by FredNodoor » #46964

So i have a copy of Half-Life:BlueShift (The standalone) on me and Avast and Windows itself is saying that its a virus (setup.exe).

This is the checksum of it 7581C312F0C28625D47C3DC3B8593640

Can anyone verify it?

Also vidya game problems
My only dream is a world without mimes
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Re: Vidya Game Problems

Post by KingLouisXIV » #46975

Is it the physical CD? That same checksum comes up in google with results saying that, while AV programs detect it as "potentially unwanted software", it's not actual malware.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #47008

That's what you get for using avast
Spoiler:
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47018

KingLouisXIV wrote:Is it the physical CD? That same checksum comes up in google with results saying that, while AV programs detect it as "potentially unwanted software", it's not actual malware.
Well here is the problem now. When i open the game it automatically closes, i disabled avast and it still dosent work.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #47025

FredNodoor wrote:
KingLouisXIV wrote:Is it the physical CD? That same checksum comes up in google with results saying that, while AV programs detect it as "potentially unwanted software", it's not actual malware.
Well here is the problem now. When i open the game it automatically closes, i disabled avast and it still dosent work.
Enjoy your virus.
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47331

cedarbridge wrote:
FredNodoor wrote:
Enjoy your virus.
Here is the thing though, it isnt a virus but setup.exe (I actually checked the MD5 of it, it isnt a virus), but yay since it cant run now the game wont work. Avast (yes >avast is what i use, is bullshitting me saying its a trojan)

Whelp thanks goodwill, should of bought Sim City 3000
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #47332

It's just a false positive.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47338

fleure wrote:It's just a false positive.
I know it is but it wont open even after i deactivate avast and all my shit. Windows itself is claiming that the CD has a virus.

I LOVE GAMES THAT DO THIS! ITS THE BEST!
Preamble
Byond Username: Preamble

Post by Preamble » #47344

I've heard about this virus. Some hackers made it to crash your computer to the blue shift of death.
Install norton it'll protect you.
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47353

Preamble wrote:I've heard about this virus. Some hackers made it to crash your computer to the blue shift of death.
Install norton it'll protect you.
I heard Gentoo helps too.

But in all seriousness im prolly just going to fuck with it some more and see if it works. I really wish i could get this running however, if anyone has good suggestions on what to do tell me, because im at a loss.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #47380

Did the CD come with a key of some sort? You should be able to register that key with Steam and install it through there, including all updates that make it run on modern computers.

A surprisingly large number of standalone CD keys also work with Steam. I was able to register Prey and BioShock 2 (with Minerva's Den even though I didn't even own that DLC before) without any trouble, and those aren't even games made by Valve.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47414

Ricotez wrote:Did the CD come with a key of some sort? You should be able to register that key with Steam and install it through there, including all updates that make it run on modern computers.

A surprisingly large number of standalone CD keys also work with Steam. I was able to register Prey and BioShock 2 (with Minerva's Den even though I didn't even own that DLC before) without any trouble, and those aren't even games made by Valve.
It did actually, i will try it
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #47486

What OS are you using?

Try running it as an administrator (Right-click, Run as Administrator) or running it in Compatibility Mode (found in the properties) for an older OS.
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #47488

KingLouisXIV wrote:What OS are you using?

Try running it as an administrator (Right-click, Run as Administrator) or running it in Compatibility Mode (found in the properties) for an older OS.
I did that already, i cant provide a screenshot now about the problem now but i will tomorrow
FredNodoor

Post by FredNodoor » #49210

Well i put in the CD Key after awhile and got the Half Life Platinum Pack

Im happy
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #49546

Uplay is to PC gaming as the holocaust is to the Jewish people.

Origin is like fascist Italy egging Uplay on from the sideline. Terrible as well but not as terrible.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: