Captain Starshot - A sciene pulp-fiction inspired rogue-like I'm working on

Talk about video games here
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Captain Starshot - A sciene pulp-fiction inspired rogue-like I'm working on

Post by Qustinnus » #488720

hello its me again.

for Uni I'm working on a FREE roguelike that'll be going into Beta soon, it's a roguelike in space where you and your crew board alien ships to gain abilities and work your way towards an evil alien overlord. it's not huge but it'll be free once it releases and we'll have a beta soon :)

check it out on steam here https://store.steampowered.com/app/1037 ... _Starshot/ and if you like it feel free to wishlist it.

and you can sign up for the beta here if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

also epic meme for attention:
[youtube]r_T21nNLBvM[/youtube]
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: Captain Starshot - A sciene pulp-fiction inspired rogue-like I'm working on

Post by Kryson » #489104

Looks cool, i will check it out once it turns up on steam.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #497131

we released into early access now so feel free to try it out and leave some suggestions if you have any.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #497139

It's cool I'm gonna play it for a while and add my thoughts/any bugs I encountered. Don't take it badly I think this is close to a game I could really like.

I imagine most of this is stuff you are aware of but I'll dump it all out here anyway
  • The transition from space to floor combat's movement was incredibly disorienting. Just as soon as I got used to ship movement I had to completely change how I was using the same keys. I really like heat signatures ship movment and I think it lends itself well to the holding left click kind of play you'll be doing on ground level as well. Maybe I'll get used to the transition after a few switches.
  • The ship gun has very little feedback, I actually thought it was a tractor beam at first so maybe a more obvious laser sound effect and a quicker projectile time would help
  • Pressing escape doesn't bring you back to the game from the pause menu
  • I found it near impossible to keep an eye on my squad health in combat. Maybe centering it or having a visual indicator closer to the center of the screen would make it easier
  • A ship minimap would be great, even if it's really simple
  • Some titles overlapped (Fantastic font by the way, the art style and music is awesome all the way through)
  • I encountered a bug after finishing the first ship, I was booted out into the ship with no objective, then got a circle wipe to the main menu after flying aimlessly for a while with no indicators
  • Playing football with the asteroids is surprisingly fun, maybe incorporating it into ship to ship combat would be cool? Either as a weapon or just punting them into enemy ships.
  • The ship to ship combat in general is a bit unpolished but a clearly great foundation. I love the multi-stage bullet hell nature of it and it feels different enough from the ground combat to really change up the pacing regularly. Great gameplay loop in general
  • The eyeballs in the tanks following you is plain fucking awesome
  • The fog of war delay lifting got me in trouble a few times
  • The prompt to press spacebar to leave a ship comes up often and gives the impression I've finished the ship when I clearly haven't
  • Not sure of the procedural generation is room by room or just fitting set rooms in particular configurations but I never noticed anything blatantly wrong or weirdly configured. Nice one.
  • It might be too much work but I'd love a bit more meta game with squad management, maybe simple tech/skill trees and item swapping
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #497147

Stickymayhem wrote:It's cool I'm gonna play it for a while and add my thoughts/any bugs I encountered. Don't take it badly I think this is close to a game I could really like.

I imagine most of this is stuff you are aware of but I'll dump it all out here anyway
  • The transition from space to floor combat's movement was incredibly disorienting. Just as soon as I got used to ship movement I had to completely change how I was using the same keys. I really like heat signatures ship movment and I think it lends itself well to the holding left click kind of play you'll be doing on ground level as well. Maybe I'll get used to the transition after a few switches.
  • The ship gun has very little feedback, I actually thought it was a tractor beam at first so maybe a more obvious laser sound effect and a quicker projectile time would help
  • Pressing escape doesn't bring you back to the game from the pause menu
  • I found it near impossible to keep an eye on my squad health in combat. Maybe centering it or having a visual indicator closer to the center of the screen would make it easier
  • A ship minimap would be great, even if it's really simple
  • Some titles overlapped (Fantastic font by the way, the art style and music is awesome all the way through)
  • I encountered a bug after finishing the first ship, I was booted out into the ship with no objective, then got a circle wipe to the main menu after flying aimlessly for a while with no indicators
  • Playing football with the asteroids is surprisingly fun, maybe incorporating it into ship to ship combat would be cool? Either as a weapon or just punting them into enemy ships.
  • The ship to ship combat in general is a bit unpolished but a clearly great foundation. I love the multi-stage bullet hell nature of it and it feels different enough from the ground combat to really change up the pacing regularly. Great gameplay loop in general
  • The eyeballs in the tanks following you is plain fucking awesome
  • The fog of war delay lifting got me in trouble a few times
  • The prompt to press spacebar to leave a ship comes up often and gives the impression I've finished the ship when I clearly haven't
  • Not sure of the procedural generation is room by room or just fitting set rooms in particular configurations but I never noticed anything blatantly wrong or weirdly configured. Nice one.
  • It might be too much work but I'd love a bit more meta game with squad management, maybe simple tech/skill trees and item swapping
if you're interested in our PCG i wrote a thingy on digg about it https://www.digg.com/r/proceduralgene ... rs_in_our/

oh and the spacebar thing is because you got the "main objective" of the ship, we're going to add proper main objectives so that'll be a bit more, well, existant.

thanks for the feedback though, we'll add most of this to Jira to work on it in the coming weeks
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #497208

It is a fun game and both space and ground combat work well.

I wish we had those fishbowl space helmets in SS13

Here are some things i noticed.
  1. There is a bug where upon picking up a powerup it shows a previous powerup under the wrong portrait on the radial menu.
  2. Many of the pickups give very little feedback what they actually do and some of them i have no clue what they do(red blob, red blob with teeth, green eye)
  3. I got fucked over by picking up a red thing that reduced the HP of all my squad members to like 25%. Yes I DED
  4. during the boss fight am i supposed to shoot the two orb things to lower the shield or just wait?
  5. Sometimes the text displayed upon gaining a new squad member is partially outside the speech bubble
  6. tabbing out to write this kicked me back to the main menu(somehow)
Attachments
butts.jpg
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #497229

I can't tell if it was legitimately what was happening or it just looked like it, but at one point it seemed like the ground combat models were clashing and causing a slowdown.

Edit: Do need to echo that damage feedback needs to be a bit better on the space combat in general. Landing a hit triggers a sound, but the gun itself feels like I'm just pointing a flame thrower at them. Getting hit doesn't give auto or visual feedback apart from crew health going down.

Edit of the Edit: Game crashed after killing the boss in the last area.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #497279

Looks pretty neat.