Starbound

Talk about video games here
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: Starbound

Post by Ricotez » #64610

Bottom post of the previous page:

I would love a semi RP server. I originally got the position of AI at Icestation back when we were all hyped up for the game and unaware how shit it would be.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64620

I say we wait and see what mods arise before we decide
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64868

I must say I much prefer the new outpost-with-quests to the old system.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64880

How the fuck are you supposed to defeat that crystal at the bottom of the moon mine, the damn lasers it shoots keep killing me and I have to redo the entire fucking mission every time.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64882

First mission is stupid fucking retarded hard. You have to flip the 4 switches and then activate the laser below him. I got so fucking sick of running the whole dungeon and dying to the boss that i activated admin mode like a scrub. Shit is way to difficult for the level of equipment you have though
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64888

I figured the mechanic out pretty quickly. The problem is that once you shoot him with the mining laser once, he suddenly has 4 beams that move much faster and change direction a lot.

I'll try admin mode then, because this is just stupid.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64890

just type /admin in the chat box and you have infinite health/energy. That mission is a really cool idea for starbound, but it needs checkpoints or something. Maybe if we ever have a tg server we can make a bunch of our own away missions. There is a mod called "your starbound crew" that adds a ton of NPC crewmembers and a ton of new missions, it has already been updated to the new stable
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64899

Custom away missions shit yes.

How hard would it be to add Nanotrasen-themed decals and objects?
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64929

where the fuck do I find uranium
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64930

There is actually a guy at the outpost who lets you make your own signs. As for objects i think it is as easy as making your own sprites and then coding them in the game. I am absolutely fucking swamped at school this week but i will try to take a look at modding shit when i can and see if i can make something happen, assuming anyone is interested
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #64938

I found uranium, looks like you need to dig into a risky planet to find any
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #64992

"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #65327

Ricotez wrote:How the fuck are you supposed to defeat that crystal at the bottom of the moon mine, the damn lasers it shoots keep killing me and I have to redo the entire fucking mission every time.
Use a 2-handed sword. If you time it right you can use the block on it better than with a shield and completely nullify the lasers.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65371

Well I'm running into serious storage issues. My ship is at Kestrel class so finding space to put storage down is no longer the problem, keeping it organized is.

I mean, look at this mess:
Spoiler:
And every time I want to move a crate around I have to break it and everything inside drops to the ground. Applied Energistics when?
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #65414

Ricotez wrote:Well I'm running into serious storage issues.
Spoiler:
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #65415

Are you storing all the dirt you guys find or something?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65418

Sum Ting Wong wrote:Are you storing all the dirt you guys find or something?

yes
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65537

Alright, so Nanotrasen mod. I'm still looking into how to mod Starbound and what exactly you can mod, but this is what I would personally like to see from a Nanotrasen mod:
  • > Nanotrasen-themed items (chests, doors, furniture).
    > Plasma and plasteel.
    > Plasma ore asteroid belts (I would prefer it if you have to actively seek these out yourself in the star map, since fluff-wise plasma is only supposed to exist in star-less systems, but I suppose that if that's not possible one could simply add plasma ore to the belts already in-game).
    > Nanotrasen Centcomm (or just a branch office) as an additional destination from the stargate (for Nanotrasen-themed shops and quests).
I don't know if Starbound actually offers this level of freedom with mods though.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #65541

From the short list you mentioned, yes, and very easily.

Theres already Durasteel, which is a titanium + uranium "alloy" so unless you want Plasteel to be even better than that...
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #65544

I am like 90% sure that you can have alternate outpost locations, as the mod "Your Starbound Crew" has an alternate outpost location for your crewmembers, although i have not accessed it yet as i have not had much time to play. Adding in plasma is a good idea, but having it replace some part of the actual ore armor/weapons progression is a shitload of work and balancing.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65609

I would rather not modify the existing progression of armours and weapons. Instead, I'm thinking along the lines of a protolathe that can build Nanotrasen-items that are sidegrades or have special effects. For instance a taser or disabler that stuns enemies.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #65611

That is a good idea. Maybe poke around the old XS Mechs mod to see if you can add some endgame mechs with the new tech system
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #65700

i played starbound one weekend with some friends, this is the result

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
LunchboxKilla
Byond Username: Lunchboxkilla

Post by LunchboxKilla » #65911

Any one got the full song of storms .abc file and are willing to pass it around?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65920

Progress has been made.

I'm not entirely sure about the size. Maybe I should make the sprite a bit bigger and raise the number of inventory slots too.
Spoiler:
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #65922

You could just download the music pack. Doesn't matter if it hasn't been updated yet, just pick and choose .abc files to avoid getting your music list getting flooded by Nine Inch Nails or whatever.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #65927

Based Riotez, it looks great!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #65978

I've also tried to remake the locker. I'm not 100% happy with it yet, but from here on it's a matter of adding a pixel here and taking one away there:

I took a few more liberties with this one:

First of all, I made the lock static, with both a red and a green light. Until I get more comfortable with modding and actually have a reason to add different lights (for instance a lock system), I'll stick with something like this for secure objects.

Second of all, I've tried to stick to the Starbound style of shading this time. Space Station 13 sprites don't really have a uniform style, but they're still generally shaded more realistically than Starbound items are. When I redo the crate, I'll change it to this style of shading too, it simply makes the items fit in much better with the rest of the game.
Spoiler:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #66000

If you nerds tell me what mods you want, I might host.
Maybe.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #66001

WEll I suspect stuff like the EGuns will probably be easy. I wait with anticipation for the security sprites so I can descend upon some I dunno, Apex village and harmbaton.

Riot armor and helmet, Baton and Riot Shield.

COME AND BRING IT BITCHES.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66012

The old human Outrider armor looked like riot armor, and there are already riot sheilds. Harmbaton is an easy resprite
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66014

I'm still figuring out how to add stun effects to weapons, I'm pretty sure stunning is already in-game though.
Spoiler:
A4Brogan
Byond Username: A4Brogan

Post by A4Brogan » #66034

Remind me, is there a server for the community?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66039

We are planning on starting an RP server, but probably not until Ricotez is done modding. Would also like to request a head slot vanity item of a cigarette if possible. Were you planning on making departmental jumpsuit sprites?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66063

Oh, you really shouldn't wait for me with that server. Right now I have time to work on this, but the new semester is only just starting and I'm pretty sure I'll be plenty busy soon enough.

EDIT: Also I'm trying to come up with a system that would support multiple paintjobs so you can have departmental lockers and stuff. The only thing I can think of right now is a special machine that has two crafting recipes for every object and every departmental paintjob: one from the base object to the paint job, and one in the other direction. But that would be incredibly inefficient, and generate a huge list of crafting recipes for the base items (from every possible paintjob they can have).
Spoiler:
Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Post by Cayce » #66085

I've been playing Starbound on a server my friend is running. If anyone needs a place to play until the TG server comes up, I can provide you with the IP and password via PM.

Here's a ship I'm working on:
https://i.imgur.com/pMfpWRy.png
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66307

Updated sprites for both the locker and the chest, and I've also started modifying the UI.

It's hard to see in this image, but it's a shade of blue rather than pure grey, similar to one of the UI options in SS13.

By the way, the old grey UI is still the default one. Unless I explicitly modify an object's properties to refer to this UI instead, the old one will show up.
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #66321

I keep forgetting that that shit is a thing. Blue UI best.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66322

I might try cranking up the saturation a bit, so you can actually see it's freaking blue.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66381

Alright so if Rico does not want us to wait for his sprites, Skorvold are you still willing to host a server? I figure we can do what many servers do and have our modpack on a google drive folder so it can be regularity updated. I would like Your Starbound Crew to be in, anyone else have mod requests?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66384

Actually I have changed my opinion. I've finished the sprites for plasma ore, I'm now trying to get it to spawn in asteroid belts. If I can finish at least that part of the mod before the server generates terrain, you could already start mining plasma. Everything else (like smelting into plasteel) is easy to add afterward.

EDIT: Well, adding plasma to asteroid belts (and ONLY asteroid belts) is actually really easy. The problem is adding it in such a way that I don't accidentally break vanilla or cause potential future conflicts with other mods. It would be much easier if I could add a completely new type of asteroid belt to the game, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

EDIT 2: Okay, so what do we want? Plasma generation added to existing belts? Or a completely new category of belts? I think the former has one big advantage: if you add the mod to an existing save game, you can find plasma in any asteroid field you haven't been to yet (if I'm not mistaken about how the terrain gen works). If I were to go with the latter, you'd have to generate completely new stars first.
Spoiler:
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #66419

So I bought this game, now what?
Hey.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #66420

Hmmm... Risk the Former and then try the latter if it fails?

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66427

ThanatosRa wrote:Hmmm... Risk the Former and then try the latter if it fails?
Alright then, but that does mean this mod might conflict with any other mod that modifies the ore table or the asteroid field config.

Bonus: plasma ore overworld sprites:

Plasma ore inventory sprite (not 100% on this one but if I do what the SS13 sprite does and add black rock around the plasma it will look too much like violium):

Plasma bar sprite:

Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66428

I think making special plasma asteroids is probably a better choice. If nothing else it will allow us to eventually create our custom asteroid monsters such as goliaths, basalisks, ect as well as the iconic red rocks
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66432

In order to do that, I have to figure out exactly how to add a completely new type of celestial body to the star generation map. I found some files that look like they are related to that, but I haven't figured the exact location yet.
Spoiler:
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #66446

Nienhaus wrote:So I bought this game, now what?
Wait a year and pray it isn't shit.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #66455

Ricotez are you making a NanoTrasen mod for this? If so I'm happy I bought it. Also how easy is it to mod?
Hey.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66459

Pretty easy, the devs are pushing ease of modding as a major feature
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66470

Modding it is SUPER easy, which is a good thing because actually finding any reference material is quite hard. I haven't even touched LUA scripting yet, but that looks like it has the potential to make Starbound as moddable as Minecraft.

The system I originally had in mind was that you have to scan for plasma asteroid belts with a special scanner of sorts, but even if that's possible there is no way I'll be able to do anything like that until I find better modding references than Starbounder and the Chucklefuck forums.
Spoiler:
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #66485

Well if you happen to need sprites for something I could help.
Hey.