John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

comfy games 3: the final reckoning

Post by John_Oxford » #517828

update 2019 edition

obligatory "lol look oxford came back"

got on a binge of finding good story driven games/roguelikes of the apocalyptic genre. generally comfy games.

recommend your most comfy games
Spoiler:
cogmind 7 out of 10 comfys
basically the kind of game that you start off using the higher functions of your brain to learn and figure out, and eventually it just devolves into you staring blankly at the screen doing everything almost automatically just fully diving into the game. the progression system and the way combat works is pretty neat, the whole upgradability of you grabbing parts and finding new parts and killing things with parts to make yourself better all while managing the security level is pretty fucking neat.

also i figured out pretty late about the whole security level of things and that the game isn't actually infinite and does have a ending (ten levels that are floors that you go up on, eventually to escape, lore ect ect)

abandon ship 6 out of 10 comfys
you're literally a fucking pirate. you run away from these cult people who worship a kraken and you have to manage your crew/ship/food/money as you combat the threat. you get to fight the kraken too. it also has a save system that requires you to find these things called captains logs on shipwrecks to save the game, its pretty neato (definitely didnt alt+f4 the many times i died from the kraken)

you can also ruin the game by finding a trade route thats next to a floating outpost and just raiding the trade route incessantly, you get 10 gold every 3 seconds, and the bounty hunters that come after you can essentially just be cheesed by dumping all your weapons on them, ramming them, then boarding them and making your guys all attack one person at a time, because the AI is stupid and wont gang up on your crew, you can essentially win every boarding match

doing that and getting 2500 gold allows you to pay off your bounty at the outpost (not the ports because they dont let you in it once you get a high bounty level for raiding the trade route) and you pay it off and have 2000 gold then you can buy a man of war and essentially everything becomes really easy and you stop wanting to play

risk of rain 2 7/10 comfys, quickly shuts your brain off
really classical rogue like that you just sort of sink your brain into after a while, at certain points it becomes a bullet hell game and gets super twitchy. the difficulty increases as time processes and if you're shit at games like me and end up spending two hours on one game you basically have to play it like a bullet hell game. pretty fucking fun though, it gets repetitive after a while

raft 5/10 comfys, got bored fast
it was a unique concept but i had a premeditated idea that i would be able to make my own ships in this game, i was mistaken and that turned me off for whatever reason. its essentially the rust building system but on water and you get a fat ass rope that you use to catch resources that apparently are floating every five feet in the entirety of the ocean

forts 3/10 comfys, more competitive
this wasn't a roguelike but was a game i enjoyed, its the kind of thing that you end up looking up strategy guides and tips for, the mods really increase the fun of it too but some of them make it basically a bullshit arms race to who can get to the really bullshit weapon first and whoever does wins, most multiplayer lobbies are mod-less due to that.

convoy 8/10 comfys for story
this was a very fun story driven game i played a long time ago, basically vehicle combat with lanes and shit and you manage your food/vehicles/weapons on the vehicles and shit and get random events and what not, i enjoyed it a lot. you have a main vehicle thats super fucking huge and powerful and shit and if it dies you lose and yada yada

the newer captain forever games 10/10 comfys
basically reassembly but with fixed parts, its got tiers too and its got that really cartoonish game-you-played-when-you-were-six kind of feel.
noita: like cortex command and powder toy/falling sands had a baby
almost alive
overland
nuclear throne
kenshi
rimworld
dwarf fortress
starbound
terraria
endless skies
from the depths
reassembly
cataclysm: dark days ahead
heat signature
cortex command
stonehearth
star sector
neo scavenger
stellaris
caves of qud

what does liking/enjoying playing all or some of these games say about you as a person

also lowkey "hey you played these games you may also like:" thread. post nostalgic simulator building story driven games

recommend games pls
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.