Cultist Simulator

Talk about video games here
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Cultist Simulator

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #542411

Pretty good game, has three expansions and a lot of replayability, I recommend it
opinions?

Spoiler:
T̻̩̫̩̓̓͒̽ͩ́͟H͈̫̣̿͑͗̎̽́E̿ͥͬ̒͐̓͊ͬ͏͏̝ ̧̘̰͎ͮ͜M̤̰̉̚A͎̯̻͎̯̣͕̽ͬͥ̕ͅN̘̳͔̻̏ͪ̾ͨ͆̈ͥͥ̌ͅS̡̛̬͚͂͂͘Ủ̧̥̥̯̜̬̫̱́̂͐ͭ̄̚̕͡S͍̖̠̝̰̱ͮͦͭ̀̀́̕ ̢̟͈̣̱̩̣̎̓̄ͧȀ̸̓͑͂͋ͪͯͯ҉̮͉̬̮̬̲͝W̛̺͇̳̖̤̖̭̣̉ͫ̕A̡ͪ͏̨̮̗̠̻̤I̵̷͇̳͔͚̫̪̊͐͂͋ͣ̈̄͝Ṭ̛̆̃̓͘͡S̡̱̮̠̠͗̀͟ ̷ͦ̓̄̊̂̌̓҉̮̻̰̰̹͙͘Ỵ̻̜̱̹͎͒ͯ̎̿͆O͎̮͓̥͙͇͌̅͊̐͐͠U̢̹̯̬ͪͪ̀̚
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Cultist Simulator

Post by Lazengann » #542420

It's good but I don't like how you can't do the hard mode unless you finished a normal mode immediately before, I want to do another hard run
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #542424

Good game, freezing the timer is essential though
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #542457

Lazengann wrote:It's good but I don't like how you can't do the hard mode unless you finished a normal mode immediately before, I want to do another hard run
you can look up some save files online to use, just replace your current save file with it. You could copy a save right before you finish the normal mode to paste later to try the apostle thing again
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #542459

NoxVS wrote:
Lazengann wrote:It's good but I don't like how you can't do the hard mode unless you finished a normal mode immediately before, I want to do another hard run
you can look up some save files online to use, just replace your current save file with it. You could copy a save right before you finish the normal mode to paste later to try the apostle thing again
Alternatively, press ctrl + tilde to open the dev console, type "minorforgevictory" (replace Forge with other aspects as appropriate) then click the End Game button on the console.

I enjoyed Cultist Simulator immensely and have written a bunch of poetry about it
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #542472

but thats CHEATING
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #542474

Lazengann wrote:but thats CHEATING
you already freeze the timer and that's technically cheating
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #542477

While Cultist Simulator isnt going to get any more updates as far as I am aware, the guys who made it are making a new game, The Book of Hours or something along those lines. It has you playing as a librarian in the cultist simulator universe
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #542485

Forgot I owned this thanks for the rec will play it
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #542572

Great world building, same problem as sunless sea (a game the dev also worked on): the "sustain yourself" loop eats away at your gameplay until mid-late game; the end game then is a waiting game until the timers align just right to power through your desire. Also not a fan of trial and error and 10% chance to fail anything, the console really becomes indispensable if you want to learn all the story the game has to offer.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #542641

Drynwyn wrote:I enjoyed Cultist Simulator immensely and have written a bunch of poetry about it
[this space reserved]
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #543186

[youtube]detN4KEy4m8[/youtube]
just in case you haven't seen it yet
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #543508

My first character became a wageslave to avoid dying to despair

Why the fuck is my videogame experience mirroring my real life
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #544462

Yeah it took me forever to get to a point where I'm nearly ascended to the living embodiment of the flame but in between telling this band of cultists where to break in and murder everyone, wandering the twisted city at night and traveling the dreamscape in my sleep I still work a normal 9-5 job in this fucking law office. They even made me a senior partner.

If you even miss a single day of work you have to fucking call them and apologize and beg for you job back.

"Yeah sorry I really got caught up deciphering this forbidden tomes and trying to figure out how human sacrifices work so I can get some corpses to play with but I'll be in on Monday promise."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin

Post by NoxVS » #544503

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #544535

Once I finish my first run through I'm definitely looking up some strategy guides for this so I can figure out what an idiot I've been and how much time I wasted

I get that a big part of the game is discovering just how to play it and like what you can get from going where but there are just too many moments where you need to do something really specific and seemingly random to unlock the next gigantic portion of gameplay
Some of the BIG CHOICES like locking in your ultimate goal are really poorly explained/described as to what exactly you're choosing and some of the hint text is super misleading (Dream to advance this! Okay...but I can't use it in my dreams so...?)
It's fun to discover all the stuff but I was reminded of some classic dumb-adventure-game-logic at different points where you just have to kinda try to do everything (and get punished with random moodlets for fucking it up) until you just put the two right things together and get progress

It took me like a good 6-7 hours of playing over three playthroughs to get to the point where I feel like I understand finally both what I'm trying to do and what I need to do to get there, and having figured it all out for myself does feel overall rewarding but a lot of that was just "guess and check" type solves or just trying to slot a card into a space multiple times until the text changed to indicate something would happen

For $19.99 it's totally worth playing though and I'm looking forward to trying some of the alternative scenarios and shit. Cleric looks like it'd be really cool.
Spoiler:
but like hot damn so much time spent watching the study clock wind down as you combine up all these random lores so you can get the ones you need, probably the least enjoyable portion of the game is all the time spent just grinding your core stats up and then smooshing lores together
In terms of strat it seems like (seriously dont read this if you haven't played the game yet go into it blind its way better that way)
Spoiler:
Studying like a madman as fast as you can to get all your core stats up to 3 seems like a must right off the bat. 4 in Resolve isn't a bad idea if you can swing it because you're gonna be throwing one at your job the entire time. I've had limited success trying to use Painting as a replacement job, it rewards you with a ton of mysteries and glimmers which can be neat but you also randomly get notoriety from it even if you aren't painting lore objects so it also kinda sucks, and sometimes people just dont buy your art and you get no money from it. 3+ health is handy for not dying and it gives you extra health both to risk for studying, using to explore, and in dreams when you aren't trying to farm Mansus (sometimes you'll get random comforts and shit from it, it's not bad). Also if you get your strength up high enough + Ascend you can try beating up Hunters 1v1 like a REAL AMERICAN.

After that its all about book farming for lores, then using the lores to recruit morons, dream, and fuse. With a pack of dipshits you can have them do all the exploring for you until you find some good Scooby Doo Mysteries to send them on.

Basic gameplay flow is then like
1) Get your stats up so you can effectively multitask/not die from diseases
2) Get the lores so you can get into mansus
3) Explore mansus while fusing the lores you need to get further into mansus + ascend
4) Repeat Step 3 while making sure your ascension doesnt kill you
4.5) At this point you can probably promote some of your culties and really start pounding explorations to gather tools and better books, maybe get lucky and score some additional rites. You're gonna NEED those tools though unless you get super lucky with Influences at the right time
5) Prepare for your ritual and finish it
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #544825

just paint for cash dude
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #544834

Wagie wagie, paint the pag-ee
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #544985

Lazengann wrote:just paint for cash dude
Painting is good for occupying Notoriety so the cops cant getcha, generating Glimmering and Contentment, and
Spoiler:
creating masterpieces to use in rite and shit
But Grover & Grover can't be beat for funds production with a little uhh "intercedence" from some of your cronies the job can get really easy and just pay out 4 funds without having to commit any cards to it
Spoiler:
talking to one of your cultists about the job will send them to murder people and make it much easier for you to work or ascend there. Eventually you can become a senior board member by doing this and the job is a no-brainer but pays a ton. it'll also delete notoriety for you (though you could randomly also get fired for doing this)
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #546306

This game is fuckin' great and I'm glad you guys brought it up. Ate up a ton of hours, very rewarding, cool game.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #546638

Huh, I assumed the incredibly simple appearance meant the game would be rather barren, I might actually give it a go sometime.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #546644

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Huh, I assumed the incredibly simple appearance meant the game would be rather barren, I might actually give it a go sometime.
Nah it's chock-full of stuff to discover and experiment with. It took me probably 20 or so hours to complete the first "basic" scenario. There's a whole like "second act" to it I've just started, as well as uhh...two other core playthroughs, and the DLC's add another three different ways to play with another one (not sure if free or paid) coming soon.

It looks very visually plain in stills but the cards have really interesting art and some simple animations to them. Different effects and things happen on the playmat, it's more than just a static card game.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #548125

This game really attentioned my defecit and it was pretty rough.

Good times though.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #565042

Expansion pack, woo
jesus I'm late
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #565045

wtf they made a game about cultist game mode on tg
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.