Half life:alyx thread (but we try to avoid story spoilers)

Talk about video games here
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Half life:alyx thread (but we try to avoid story spoilers)

Post by Qustinnus » #550967

Just played a good section of the game but my legs starting hurting real bad from standing so im taking a break now. The fucking headcrabs man fuck theyre scary.

What's everyones first take of it so far?
Qustinnus

Re: Half life:alyx thread (but we try to avoid story spoilers)

Post by Qustinnus » #550976

also mandatory get dabbed on
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #550985

Best marker drawing simulator since Duke Nukem Forever

It's good though, impressive physics as is expected
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #551003

headcrabs are both equally terrifying and a source of comedic relief as they snarl and lunge at you, followed by missing and eating shit, tumbling around before desperately fleeing to make another lunge attempt.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #551006

is there a new alien
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #551027

so far the lore additions alone have been fantastic the graphic design feels amazing valve really hit it out of the park

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #551030

My childhood innocence was shattered after I hacked the first combine terminal

The combine AI is also remarkably reactive, they try to flank, flush you out with manhacks and they stand their ground if you suppress them. They have a lot of vocal callouts too, reminds me of the replica soldiers from FEAR. Playing on hard they can wipe the floor with you in a heartbeat if you're not careful which makes fights super intense
Be nice to each other.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #551054

Played up to the north star, got the elevator working and I took a break at the part where the fleshy stuff on the walls starts exploding on you.
Mickyan wrote:The combine AI is also remarkably reactive, they try to flank, flush you out with manhacks and they stand their ground if you suppress them. They have a lot of vocal callouts too
Yeah, I like how chatty they are now. That bit towards the beginning where they react to the grenade in the car was pretty good
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #551061

will we get a hl3
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #551104

For Non-VR plebs

Half-Life Alyx - https://streamable.com/2tyz2

vs boneworks - https://streamable.com/owml5

Alyx is polished to a fucking shimmer but you lose a bit of fun jank as a result. Boneworks you can wrestle with baddies while they're still animated. You can only do this with ragdolls in Alyx and you lose some of the experience.

That said the level design in alyx is fucking impeccable. I constantly fall for their psychological tricks like
Spoiler:
at one point you get a flashlight, and have to backtrack, I noticed a pitch black hallway I'd never seen before so naturally with the light I felt that original valve touch
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #551105

Super Aggro Crag wrote:will we get a hl3
this is half life 3

you will never get a flatscreen sequel to half life 2, because half life has always been about using new tech

You can have project borealis instead. It'll be what you want.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #551116

low intensity combat, no weapons, bad movement, barely any exploration in this game

its just eye candy nothing more imo, didn't like the gameplay at all

its clearly a well crafted eye candy game and there was a lot of effort put into it but vr half life is not my style i'd rather just play doot eternal instead
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #551144

already sold my vive to a child after never using it. vr has no games (aside from this $1000 one) and the movement is either nauseating using WASD or sort of like enabling noclip using teleportation
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tabski
Byond Username: Tabski

Post by Tabski » #551161

Refunded it right before I had 2 hours of playtime.

Seems alright. Visually it looks really impressive, and you can really feel the massive amount of detail they put into everything.

What killed it for me was the gameplay. Unlike a game like Boneworks, B&S, or Saints and Sinners VR there is very little physicality to the combat. What you're left with is some pretty mediocre gunplay, which is just a matter of shooting specific spots on really slow/clunky enemies.

I'll probably pick it back up when it's on sale for ~$20.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551162

Super Aggro Crag wrote:is there a new alien
yes and you feel bad for killing it because it starts making whining noises and stops fighting back (worst part: you need to kill it)
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551163

Flatulent wrote:low intensity combat, no weapons, bad movement, barely any exploration in this game

its clearly a well crafted eye candy game and there was a lot of effort put into it but vr half life is not my style i'd rather just play doot eternal instead
Have you actually played it? I get the people who say low intensity combat just watched someone play it and forget that actually fighting in a dark room against 8 headcrabs is far more intense when you are actually in the situation
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #551165

Qustinnus wrote:
Flatulent wrote:low intensity combat, no weapons, bad movement, barely any exploration in this game

Have you actually played it? I get the people who say low intensity combat just watched someone play it and forget that actually fighting in a dark room against 8 headcrabs is far more intense when you are actually in the situation
i played until the end of 3rd chapter at friends home and didnt touch it for more than that because it was too boring

i wouldnt be fighting 8 headcrabs in hl2 for 2 minutes, i'd just kill them all quick and wouldn't bother with them at all
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #551178

I think the problem is that Alyx seems to play more like a horror game with a shooter element, rather than vice versa. I came in expecting a VR shooter but instead got spooked. I don't think this is bad because I really dig the creepy atmosphere of the abandoned places with the xen flora taking over while giant-ass headcrabs skitter across into a vent to jump your later.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #551198

I actually really enjoyed the combat. In particular, fighting combine and manhacks is great. Combine are good at taking cover and poking so you'll have to do a lot of maneuvering, which consists of leaping in and out of cover with the smooth jump thing to get up close to them, and the fact that they're actually super lethal means there's a real drama to taking them out before they can shoot at you too much. That section of the game where the combine heavies are first introduced was really cool about this.
Manhacks are great because they're just fucking flying around at mach 5 and you feel like the fastest draw in the west when you can double tap em in an instant before they can reach you.

Also can I just gush about the gunplay? Honestly I think this game has the cleanest gunplay of any VR game I've played yet, beating even pavlov and boneworks. I felt like I could actually hit the things that I aimed at more often than not. Crazy recoil in pavlov is really funny but not very good for tight gameplay (there's a lot of shoot-wait-shoot-wait for readjusting aim after almost every shot), while in Alyx I could draw my gun and just start hitting things immediately. Boneworks has the whole "everything is a physics object even you and your weapons!" which is really really cool but made aiming a major pain in the ass when it came time to move and shoot. Also HOLY SHIT A SATISFYING SHOTGUN IN A HALF LIFE GAME
Also this game has the most consistent "throw it over your shoulder" mechanic as of yet. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped something on the ground behind me when it should have strapped to my back in boneworks/pavlov. In Alyx I recall only ever dropping 2 resins so far.
I really hope that these polished mechanics in Alyx can become the standard.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #551211

PKPenguin321 wrote:HOLY SHIT A SATISFYING SHOTGUN IN A HALF LIFE GAME
the spas-12 wasn't?
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551212

spoilers for my boy Jeff ahead (chapter 7)
Spoiler:
what the fuck man i thought "yeah haha those levels were pretty spooky" and then they have fucking clickers?? bruh i was shitting my pants but i made it out with a bottle of vodka and got the achievement so i feel epic
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #551293

PKPenguin321 wrote:Also this game has the most consistent "throw it over your shoulder" mechanic as of yet. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped something on the ground behind me when it should have strapped to my back in boneworks/pavlov. In Alyx I recall only ever dropping 2 resins so far.
Weird, I honestly have been having slight trouble with it. Granted, it's just me being sloppy, but I never have issues swapping weapons in Pavlov. I started crossing over to access my backpack from my right shoulder until I kept grabbing my gas mask by mistake.

Also, the default controls were actually causing me pain. It was my biggest gripe so far until I remembered I could go into the SteamVR settings and rebind everything to be more Pavlov-like. At least linking movement direction to the left hand seems to be catching on.

Other than that, it's a really polished experience so far. I was slightly skeptical about the gravity gloves, but they're actually really cool.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #551305

I did not expect a half life game to be such a consistent challenge, playing on hard despite counting my shots and looting everything I'm always moments away from running out of ammo. Coupled with enemies being very lethal you have to constantly balance between shooting fast and shooting accurately
Qustinnus wrote:yes and you feel bad for killing it because it starts making whining noises and stops fighting back (worst part: you need to kill it)
That made me feel so bad but also fuck those guys they're so annoying to kill
Be nice to each other.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #551349

I have not seen an opinion in this thread, good or bad, that I don't agree with.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551538

I just finished Alyx so some spoilers below.
Spoiler:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FELT SO CLEVER LIKE "HAHA I KNEW GORDON WAS IN THERE" BUT WHAT THE FUCK I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. THEN I WAS LIKE AIGHT IT'S GMAN BUT WHAT NOW? HOW WILL THIS AFFECT THE PLOT OF HL2 AND INSTEAD ITS AFFECTING EPISODE 3. HOLY SHIT BALLS HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMEEEEEED
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #551541

[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #551553

how many retcons did they have to pull to make the new technology/weapons/enemies make sense in a prequel
NSFW:

HommandoSA
Byond Username: HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #551559

Overall it's decent and a very fine start to AAA VR development. One big weakness is using the hacking tool to follow wires around, it's not particularly engaging and after the first couple of puzzles the gimmick gets tedious. The gunplay is fun enough, the game is clearly leaning towards survival horror more than a shooter. The biggest disappointment is the lack of melee, the first enemy I encountered I put the gun away and went full Ippo on a zombie only to have my punches do nothing. I hope if there's a next time for Valve they'll work through whatever problems they had with melee.

Now $60 is a steep cost and if I didn't get the game for free I don't think I'd have bought it for full price. Even if this game is currently the gold standard for a full length VR game, I'd price it at $30 max. I would consider Alyx a must have game for VR, just wait for a sale. I can't see myself playing through this game more than twice, once for the experience and once for achievements. I hope the game is successful enough to pull in interest from other AAA developers, VR already has good tech and is getting more accessible every year, it just needs less games running on a gimmicks and more content with fully developed features.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551562

HommandoSA wrote:Overall it's decent and a very fine start to AAA VR development. One big weakness is using the hacking tool to follow wires around, it's not particularly engaging and after the first couple of puzzles the gimmick gets tedious. The gunplay is fun enough, the game is clearly leaning towards survival horror more than a shooter. The biggest disappointment is the lack of melee, the first enemy I encountered I put the gun away and went full Ippo on a zombie only to have my punches do nothing. I hope if there's a next time for Valve they'll work through whatever problems they had with melee.

Now $60 is a steep cost and if I didn't get the game for free I don't think I'd have bought it for full price. Even if this game is currently the gold standard for a full length VR game, I'd price it at $30 max. I would consider Alyx a must have game for VR, just wait for a sale. I can't see myself playing through this game more than twice, once for the experience and once for achievements. I hope the game is successful enough to pull in interest from other AAA developers, VR already has good tech and is getting more accessible every year, it just needs less games running on a gimmicks and more content with fully developed features.
What? I loved the hacking tool. They made such good use of the environment to really make it work. Like when
Spoiler:
You stick your hand behind a cabinet and its filled with those creepy clippy clappers
Anyways I consider 60 bucks worth it, the production cost for making VR titles is quite higher than regular games and the market is smaller
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #551711

[youtube]QFPLieBpiU8[/youtube]

where were you when people found the dev tools that turns alyx into a regular fps
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #551778

i realize the title says no spoilers but can we talk about the ending holy shit
Spoiler:
i sort of expected what to find in the vault during the last 30 minutes but it was still a fucking awesome reveal and judging by the post credits scene im assuming that valve is going to be working on another half life title
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #551813

Qbmax32 wrote:i realize the title says no spoilers but can we talk about the ending holy shit
Spoiler:
i sort of expected what to find in the vault during the last 30 minutes but it was still a fucking awesome reveal and judging by the post credits scene im assuming that valve is going to be working on another half life title
Spoiler:
this was an epic and ballsy move by valve and theoretically they can't leave us hanging after a cliffhanger like this but then again it's valve and that's literaly what happend go ep 3
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #551822

Spoiler:
>leave a cliffhanger for 13 years
Spoiler:
>release a prequel and undo the cliffhanger using time travel
Spoiler:
>end on another cliffhanger
see you boys in 2033
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #551825

Spoiler:
I didn't sign up for a horror game but I loved the jeff chapter, I was smiling all the way through seeing all the clever and original ways they kept coming up with to try and screw you over
Be nice to each other.
HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #551834

Finished the game. I enjoyed all of the sections where you had to fight the Combine, hiding behind cover and blasting enemies before they can flank you felt very good. I hope that whatever comes next tones down the scavenging and ups the action.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #552081

I hate horror so a lot of this game was difficult for me (and I played it in a basement at a friend's house where I cannot fucking reach over my head, which made one wire puzzle nearly unplayable) but it was really good. I do not like some of the concessions they made to make the game appeal to new VR users, though I agree they were the right move - I'm just disappointed by how trivially easy the game was since I have VR experience

The gravity gloves were great and the music was incredible - can't comment on object fidelity because I have a rift CV1 so shit was unfortunately pretty blurry

spoiler talk below, do not open if you care
Spoiler:
I had my suspicions that gordon was not in the vault but as soon as I saw that bastard's head through the glass I shit my pants a little bit and then I continued to shit my pants

ep2 was admittedly not a great cliffhanger for a company like valve because it was sort of like. obviously they can take the story wherever, but the premise is kind of set in stone in a way that means there's only so much they can do that would make sense in character. having alyx accidentally make a deal to save her dad in the future and having her yanked out of existence to work for the gman is admittedly wonky from a time perspective but i don't care because it was fucking sick and means that a future title can go fucking WILD + the tiebacks to alyx telling eli to prepare for unforseen consequences is like. good fucking lord, dude. just. I liked this a lot
good game, decent length, very well polished, pathetically easy - there was very little demand for mechanical skill, it's almost entirely "can you walk through the scary parts" based difficulty for me - but it was a good time and I look forward to more games of this quality for VR that have a brand name attached (so gamers will stop crying about how VR has no games when it has plenty of games, they just aren't big name ones. don't talk about doom vfr doom vfr was the worst game i've ever bought)
HommandoSA wrote:Finished the game. I enjoyed all of the sections where you had to fight the Combine, hiding behind cover and blasting enemies before they can flank you felt very good. I hope that whatever comes next tones down the scavenging and ups the action.
the scavenging was one of the most compelling parts of the game for me and I would much rather that they make it more mechanically interesting than to strip it down

it gives you a chance to explore the absurdly detailed environments, and picking shit up with the gravity gloves could be its own fuckin game as far as i'm concerned
Limey wrote:its too late.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #552134

Qbopper wrote:picking shit up with the gravity gloves could be its own fuckin game as far as i'm concerned
People don't talk about this enough, and people who are anti-VR miss this part the most. I will give that it's really hard to talk about because it's so reliant on feeling.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #552271

does alyx have a bunch of shit that's conspicuously absent in the later games or what
NSFW:

HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #552276

cacogen wrote:does alyx have a bunch of shit that's conspicuously absent in the later games or what
She stops making lewd hand gestures and drawing dicks on the wall in the other games.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #552278

Spoiler:
I didn't hate the ending but the entire story in alyx seemed centered around justifying the retcon of a 13 years old cliffhanger which is... going to be very shitty if this ends up being all we're getting for the next 10 years
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #552282

gordon takes the mantle by chiselling them into the wall and throwing things at people with his mind instead
NSFW:

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #552335

cacogen wrote:does alyx have a bunch of shit that's conspicuously absent in the later games or what
a friend called russell and magic gloves
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #552394

glad to hear rhys darby is still coasting off his fotc role
NSFW: