Talk about video games here
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Re: cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Post by TheWiznard » #63360

Bottom post of the previous page:

srifenbyxp wrote:Go with being a mall cop and loot the mall, just keep running around objects and closing doors. I managed to get a good amount of swag before fleeing with less than 50% health
rolled mall cop a few times still died right off the bat, but in this current world I finally killed off the main group of zombies following me by kiting them and whipping the fuck out of them with a bull whip, it's amazing.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #63361

Call me a pussy but I added the mod where zombies move at half speed when I roll with Mall Cop, but most of the time I get Fast Learner, Night Vision, Parkour, Deft and Fleet Footed to out run zombies so I can reload muh guns. Bad traits I get Addictive Personality, Hates Vegetables, Heavy Sleeper, Poor Hearing, Weak Stomach, Strong Scent. I'd get Truth teller and ugly but my own godly code of Alpha Males prevents me to make a character who's beta AND looks ugly. Toss 3 stats into dodge, 2 unarm, a little in tailoring, computers, melee and fire arms. Works out fine until I run out of ammo in the middle of a crowd or a god dam skeleton attacks me and I dont feel like dropping all of my shit. 10 STR, DEX, PER, and INT stays the same. If I really want that extra point I get Animal Discord, maybe Insomniac, and Slow Reader.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63388

Why Deft, why not Quick?

Also, personally, I'd leave Dex and boost Int, but that's because my character is a nerd.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63406

Nerds are badass in this game. If you can clear a library and have enough food to sustain you while you study you can boost your skills to godly levels and learn damn near every recipe in the game. The only obstacle is that a lot of the high level books decrease happiness, so you need some sort of vice to boost it up.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #63413

Wyzack wrote:The only obstacle is that a lot of the high level books decrease happiness, so you need some sort of vice to boost it up.
This is exactly why we need Videogames to exist. My parents knew nothing, all the time I played gaems I was just actually boosting up my happiness to learn more!
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63415

Kot wrote:
Wyzack wrote:The only obstacle is that a lot of the high level books decrease happiness, so you need some sort of vice to boost it up.
This is exactly why we need Videogames to exist. My parents knew nothing, all the time I played gaems I was just actually boosting up my happiness to learn more!
>Not smoking crack to boost happiness

Get on my level scrub
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63420

Isn't there some mystical item called an MP3 player which turns batteries into joy?

Also, yeah, that shotgun was robust. Double-barrel caseless, 141 damage was the highest I rolled. Didn't attract much in the way of zeds, I got to boost First Aid to 2 by reading and boarded up the house.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63423

MP3's and some batteries can keep you the happiest bastard in the wasteland
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63424

Right now I'm bookworming it. Sci-fi all-nighter, just like in real life!
Still a shame the Shocker Brute only had burnt-outs inside of him. I was so looking forward to the ability to go Bionic Commando on the zeds ._.

Ahem, anyway. I've heard rumours of the One True Tileset, if so, which is it?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63496

ASCII, everything stands out nicely. The only tilesets i have seen for this game are ass and will get you killed
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63498

Wyzack wrote:ASCII, everything stands out nicely. The only tilesets i have seen for this game are ass and will get you killed
And even if they weren't, after playing with ASCII for any length of time using a tileset is confusing as fuck.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63499

I think one of the big issues with tilesets is that they do not have seperate tiles for each of the game's huge variety of enemies, so it can be hard to differentiate at a glance. My biggest problem is that enemies in tilesets blend with the background, so i will run past a skellyton and take a ton of damage because i did not notice him
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63504

Wyzack wrote:I think one of the big issues with tilesets is that they do not have seperate tiles for each of the game's huge variety of enemies, so it can be hard to differentiate at a glance. My biggest problem is that enemies in tilesets blend with the background, so i will run past a skellyton and take a ton of damage because i did not notice him
Jesus Hell, this. Being colorblind makes it even worse.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63507

What kind of colorblind? I feel like even the ASCII set uses a whole shitload of the letter Z
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63508

Wyzack wrote:What kind of colorblind? I feel like even the ASCII set uses a whole shitload of the letter Z
Red-green mostly. It does come into play a bit with the standard set, but at least then I can see that there's actually a zombie there. I just have to sometimes check if it's a normal one or a special through the sidebar before I try to fight it head-on. That mix-up has killed me more than once.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #63512

Tilesets are fucking garbage for this because there's a billion items and monsters.

You're going to see so many "no smoking" symbols or whatever running around all the time anyway, why bother?

ASCII or bust.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63513

I have a distinct fear of ASCII due to my first-time Nethack and DF experience, but...let's do this.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #63518

Embrace it. It's the only way you'll ever learn.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63520

I still play DF with phoebus tileset, but CDDA is a dish best served with letters and characters
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63521

Using ASCII can lead to bizarre mental associations with random symbols, like OH SHIT A COMMA IS THAT A SEWING KIT
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63522

It's more that I'm currently wondering if locking my door is enough before going to bed, then remembering that the fine people I live with are as likely to kill me undead as they are now.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63525

Man, I remember once when I had it made in this game. I'd gotten into a science lab early on and had raided a library, holing up in one of the dorms on the surface level of the lab and just learning how to make more and more complicated stuff, occasionally darting down below into the unknowable, freezing-cold blackness to scavenge for more high-tech shit to cram into myself. Between the terrifying mystery of what lurked down those stairs and the nightmares my character kept having as his addiction to augmentations and mutations grew stronger, it was a weirdly horrifying and tense situation, but damn was it satisfying.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63535

Bionic/mutant runs are fun, but with the right set of bionics and mutations the game becomes a bit too easy pretty fast. Recently did a police detective purist run and man is it a pain in the ass
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63538

My ultimate goal, of course, is to create a bionic lizard assassin.
Because SO TES, MUCH OBSESSION, SUCH REFERENCE, WOW. (Eugh.)

Also, Eskrima or Pentjak Silat?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63557

Eskrima. Pentjak doesn't seem to have as much defensive capability.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63565

I thought defense mostly consisted of "trying to dodge" and "running like hell".

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63568

Eskrima has a block, I believe, which Silat doesn't (at least not as early as Eskrima). If you really want hand-to-hand defense, though, karate seems to be the way to go.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #63594

I figure when I have to pistol whip those god dam skeletons Deft is useful when I have to get in melee. Either way I found a glorious AK and managed to come across a few mods for it.

To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63596

I presently have a pimped out MP5 and a sniper rifle i nabbed. Just cleared a bandit camp
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #63655

srifenbyxp wrote:Call me a pussy but I added the mod where zombies move at half speed when I roll with Mall Cop, but most of the time I get Fast Learner, Night Vision, Parkour, Deft and Fleet Footed to out run zombies so I can reload muh guns. Bad traits I get Addictive Personality, Hates Vegetables, Heavy Sleeper, Poor Hearing, Weak Stomach, Strong Scent. I'd get Truth teller and ugly but my own godly code of Alpha Males prevents me to make a character who's beta AND looks ugly. Toss 3 stats into dodge, 2 unarm, a little in tailoring, computers, melee and fire arms. Works out fine until I run out of ammo in the middle of a crowd or a god dam skeleton attacks me and I dont feel like dropping all of my shit. 10 STR, DEX, PER, and INT stays the same. If I really want that extra point I get Animal Discord, maybe Insomniac, and Slow Reader.
>not taking glorious Schizophrenic.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63661

Jesus fuck I started playing again tonight and God I am buttmad

My second character, who I started about five minutes in, opened the door from the shelter. There was a possum outside. The NPC in the shelter shot at it with what must've been a Goddamn anti-tank rifle, hit ME, and did 99 points of damage to my torso. I died instantly.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63670

Some people out there are just really into hunting.

Also, fuck karate, I'm gonna ninjutsu as starter. Melee synergy, fuck yeah.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #63709

EndgamerAzari wrote: My second character, who I started about five minutes in, opened the door from the shelter. There was a possum outside. The NPC in the shelter shot at it with what must've been a Goddamn anti-tank rifle, hit ME, and did 99 points of damage to my torso. I died instantly.
This is why you become a psychopath and murder everyone in your path.
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63713

I just finished making this Gotta go FAST

I also modified a gun that I found in a mil bunker
Game Admin
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63717

Gonna slap on a sniper conversion kit, too?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63718

I do have a sniper as my main so probably not
Game Admin
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63720

BR conversion, then?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63725

I have literally found a suppressor maybe once, and i play this game a whole shitload. Also Rivtech guns are a pain because they all fire really rare ammo, and it is caseless so you cannot reload your own rounds.

Fun fact of the day, rivers can have goddamn ZOMBIE MOTHERFUCKING SHARKS IN THEM. I found this out when one decided to take a massive bite out of my inflatable boat. If i did not have my trusty mossberg i would have been right fucked. As a side note boating is pretty much impossible without Lizard Infrared vision, as you can somehow break your inflatable boat by paddling it into submerged bass that you are usually not even able to see.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63730

How can you see fish with IR, anyway? They're not warm-blooded.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63734

Dunno, i suppose they are still warmer than the surrounding water. Also cold blooded doesn't mean you are actually cold, just that you cannot regulate your own body temperature.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63749

How do I power my power armor? I have a fully charged advance UPS. What do I do with it?
Game Admin
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63750

I know as much...
Which, I suppose, means your body temperature is determined by your environment - making it roughly equal, and therefore hard to pick up for IR.

As for power armour: Check if you can activate it in-inventory. If that fails, I'll roll up a test character, spawn some in, and tell you.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63762

DemonFiren wrote:I know as much...
Which, I suppose, means your body temperature is determined by your environment - making it roughly equal, and therefore hard to pick up for IR.

As for power armour: Check if you can activate it in-inventory. If that fails, I'll roll up a test character, spawn some in, and tell you.
Tried to activate it, doesnt seem to work.
Game Admin
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63766

I never wore power armor without the CMB interface, so i dont actually know. I powered it from my bionic energy
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63769

You did load and activate your UPS, right?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63771

DemonFiren wrote:You did load and activate your UPS, right?
Yep, the advanced UPS I have says its charge is 2500
Game Admin
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63772

That's it, testplaying.

Standby for double-post if I figure it out.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63776

Check for the following:
UPS loaded?
Power Armor components worn?

If so, select the main power armor and (a)ctivate it. It should say "Your power armor engages." in the output sidebar.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63780

DemonFiren wrote:Check for the following:
UPS loaded?
Power Armor components worn?

If so, select the main power armor and (a)ctivate it. It should say "Your power armor engages." in the output sidebar.
Will try this, thanks!

Edit: Got it now. Second question, what does powered power armor do?
Game Admin
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63789

Has a bunch of inbuilt functions, protects you from all enviromental biz, makes you stronger, makes you really hard to hurt. What you would expect, really. I always imagined it looking like the power armor from the first two fallout games
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #63793

Wyzack wrote:Has a bunch of inbuilt functions, protects you from all enviromental biz, makes you stronger, makes you really hard to hurt. What you would expect, really. I always imagined it looking like the power armor from the first two fallout games
Interesting, too bad I cant carry ANYTHING :(
Game Admin
Spoiler: