cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Talk about video games here
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Post by Alex Crimson » #412437

Bottom post of the previous page:

Timbrewolf wrote:That's not the problem fuckhead.

It becomes a problem when they flood into the digg and discourse to complain about how the games lacks endgame challenges and goals because they subverted the entire challenge of it with easy-mode bullshit.

If you want to slap the training wheels on and ride around in the yard for a bit be my fucking guest. Remember to wear your helmet, sweetie.

When you come back inside afterwards and complain that the whole system needs changes based on your skewed experience I'm gonna backhand you so hard you'll have to start wearing that helmet all the time, everywhere.
The game does lack endgame challenge though. Most of your time is spent clearing out the same hordes of zombies. By the time you reach the endgame, you have a fully armed and armoured bionic monster with a masters in martial arts and the ability to 1-shot almost anything for 100+ damage. Thats even without bullshit stat gain mods. Even in the early game, you are only prevented from clearing out a city full of zombies by your stamina and hunger. You can kite almost anything to death. Giant Cellar Spiders are harder to kill than a bio-engineered brute zombie.

Well, it all goes smoothly until you encounter something like a tank drone. No amount of buffed stats will save you from those. The game needs more shit like that.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #412438

Been using tiles version rather than console because i dont think the console supports the use of soundpacks, which i love, and also because non-square ascii frustrates me. Don't understand how people use the chesthole tileset though, enemies blend into the background so hard that it is really easy to not see shit until you are half dead from a moose kicking you in the skull repeatedly while you hurriedly ran through an open field without paying attention
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #412444

Alex Crimson wrote: Well, it all goes smoothly until you encounter something like a tank drone. No amount of buffed stats will save you from those. The game needs more shit like that.
If you see one during the day come back at night and sneak up on it with a control computer. Then make sure to set the combat mode to "passive" because it will start firing its 120mm cannon at enemies after it has been hacked. Being anywhere near that when it impacts is gonna get you killed.

Alternatively it can be kited around to waste all its bullet ammo, at which point it is helpless and can be beaten to death with a sledgehammer or other bashing implement surprisingly easily.

Regardless, if you've played the game to a point where you can consistently dive in, survive long enough to professional zombie-murderer status, and you don't need the EZ mode stuff congrats. You have a valid opinion on the game's structure. My disgust with the casual base is that they never get to the point where they can play the game with that shit turned off but continue to discuss and suggest features/modifications to the existing game based around their modded experience.

If you don't think there's enough end-game content I think that's more of a user problem. I think more structures like labs and temples might be cool but no number of things is going to stave off the eventual "been there done that" attitude. It's a sandbox. Try building some different castles. Try different starts, challenge yourself. I'm always coming up with new projects and shit to attempt in the end-game that I've been playing this game for years and years and I never get bored with it.
Wyzack wrote:Been using tiles version rather than console because i dont think the console supports the use of soundpacks, which i love, and also because non-square ascii frustrates me. Don't understand how people use the chesthole tileset though, enemies blend into the background so hard that it is really easy to not see shit until you are half dead from a moose kicking you in the skull repeatedly while you hurriedly ran through an open field without paying attention
tiles version does not equal playing with tiles. The tiles version is needed to be able to use the great minimap feature. But I hate the soundpacks and tilesets people try to use with it. They all look so bad, like some kind of shitty RPGMaker abortion, and they make vehicles look even worse. Anytime someone adds a new thing or changes stuff they can break and you'll be left with a bunch of ERROR type icons that could be anything from a new gun to a new incredibly deadly enemy. Have fun finding out. Learning to just look at the ascii and tell what things are is so much easier in this game than something like DORF FORT. It becomes like reading a book, where you have your own idea what everything looks like and how they animate.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #412454

Not a fan of the soundpack? I find the ambient sounds like weather/rain stuff plus some sounds like doors closing and windows smashing to be really immersive. Like Dietus mentioned earlier the LUB DUB LUB DUB is fucking obnoxious as all hell and triggers as soon as your stamina drops even a bit, and im not crazy about the zombie or attack sounds or the background music. Next time I get back into it I will see about fucking with the files to tailor it the way i like
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412456

I prefer to just go find other OST's or listen to Pandora/Spotify playlists I've made for this game specifically.

Eg. playing the game while you have the Fallout 1 or 2 soundtracks on in the background is sooooooo goooooooood.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #412566

Are there any upsides to butchering zombies other than shockers or scientists? I play with revives off which probably makes me a massive babby casul but it just seems like a massive pain in the ass chore to butcher all zoms you kill that only leaves you fatigued and forces you to eat/drink more often
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #412581

Levels the survival skill. They for some fuckawful reason made it so that butchering not only takes longer than pulping it also takes more stamina for some fucking reason rather than being a tradeoff of time for exhaustion, so for preventing revives there is not much reason to butcher unless you want the excks pee
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412588

Deitus wrote:Are there any upsides to butchering zombies other than shockers or scientists? I play with revives off which probably makes me a massive babby casul but it just seems like a massive pain in the ass chore to butcher all zoms you kill that only leaves you fatigued and forces you to eat/drink more often
You can use tainted meat to make mutagen.
Some creatures can also give you tainted pelts, which can be processed into regular pelts just fine, and tainted fat which can at least be rendered into tainted tallow and still used for things like glues, lamp oil, etc.

The only decent use I've found for tainted bones is throwing into a charcoal oven to make into charcoal, which can be used to make some decent food items like sausages, smoked meats, or jerky to use for pemmican.

You can also just throw the bones in the charcoal oven and never take them back out to get an infinite source of light very similar to an Atomic Lamp.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #412595

So it doesn’t really seem worth it
On a scale of 1 to 10 how casul is it to play with it off
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #412598

Regen? Pretty casual. Whatever though man play what you enjoy.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412638

Deitus wrote:So it doesn’t really seem worth it
On a scale of 1 to 10 how casul is it to play with it off
The biggest effect I think it has is balancing out how effective just driving around running everything over is. With revives on you can't clear out territory for good just by driving through it or around it repeatedly, you eventually have to get out and do the work on foot while smashing everything.

Old roadkill getting back up and the bodies I forget to smash after my home cabin's turrets gun them down are the only times I really ever see it happen in play. It's annoying to have those waste ammo killing the same zombie twice.

You don't have to go through the trouble of butchering everything. Smashing a corpse is a bit faster and does the trick to keep them down.

I wish they would make it so burning the bodies also counted but it doesn't seem to work.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #412646

>smashing a corpse keeps it down
>but running it over with a 5-ton tactical assault truck doesn't
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412656

Yeah it's dumb. I think if you run over something multiple times it will eventually pulp it, or if you use roller drums on the front of your vehicle they'll give 'em the squish.

But yeah sometimes when I activate hydraulic muscles and punch a zombie it will instantly pulp it but slamming into one at 70mph+ in my giant armored death truck wont.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #412694

In my experience burning bodies will actually keep most of them down but a percentage will revive as charred zombies that are decently tough due to scar tissue and explode into smoke clouds when killed
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412699

I've tried to replicate this a few times but the corpses will just gain the "burned" prefix and remain the highlighted yellow in the item browser, which indicates that they haven't been crippled to prevent revival.

I haven't been able to find any actual mechanical effect of the "burned" prefix, having accidentally scorched a bunch of my clothing. It doesn't appear to be any less protective, durable, or change in weight/volume/capacity.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #412708

I just play with revive off and butcher as much as i can regardless. Its not fun trying to clear out an area with dozens of zombies only for them to start getting back up. Wouldnt mind enabling it if there was a decent way to mass butcher stuff. Even a corpse cart + fire would be fine. 5 minutes per corpse + stamina loss? Fuck that.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412723

IIRC the time and stamina investment is based on the bashing stat of whatever you have currently equipped. If you are running around barehanded for example it's going to cost a lot to smash zombies, but if you're wielding a sledgehammer or something it's like instantaneous.

I may be remembering that wrong but I thought during one of my "Let's try it out" type experiments of grabbing random weapons and going off with them that using the fire axe resulted in slow attacks that layed everything out, and that I was able to smash large piles of corpses with it super quickly.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #412730

So I should be (s)mashing corpses with my knife spear instead of butchering, or can I craft something better for pulping in early to mid game? P sure my butchering tool is just survival-standard pocket knife with butchering 1so that might be what makes it take so long
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #412932

Anything with a good bash or just high overall damage should do just fine. If you really want to go all in you could make something like the Homewrecker, but the knife spear or a makeshift crowbar should probably be fine.

If it's good enough for you to want to run around melee'ing everything with it, it's probably gonna be just fine for smashing corpses too.

I need to double-check that the system currently works as I think it does. I haven't tested to see if different equipped items currently affects the smash time, but I want to say it does or did work that way at some point.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #413301

>have str 12
>smash with bare fists pulps
im ok with this.

also
>doing ok for once
>chillin in town lootin shit
>peek around corner
>riot bot getting gangbanged by zeds but nothing really hurting it, gives zero fucks
>sneak around corner and attempt to lockpick into house
>WOOP WOOP DAS THE SOUND OF THE POLICE
>wades through the fucking zombies to come arrest me
>stoprighttherecriminalscum.mp3
>dunno whats happening so let myself be arrested, maybe ill be taken to a police station with sick loot in it?
>nope cuffs
>fuck they wont come off
>run around getting cuff charge to wear off
>riot bot keeps following me constantly *BRAAAAAAAP*-ing his peace gas in my face with his conga like of zeds that now want my dick too
>night time by the time cuffs come off and cant find my cart with my gas mask in it with all the running i did
>get exhausted
>zombies catch up and take turns anally raping me while the bot stands by telling me to stop resisting

ayo FUG da po-lice that was a gayass way to die, even the time where i lit myself on fire by trying to cook water on a burning bush was better than that shit
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #413430

yeah police bots will fuck you. Starting as a cop makes them ignore you which is pretty sweet, and i think if you become a US marshal in game they will leave you alone too
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #413431

They are a pain in the ass to kill if you use melee. The gas on the riot control bots fucks you up. I lure them into the gun shop i just robbed and close the door on them.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #413432

Anything that makes you lose turns can fuck your shit up no matter how good you think you are. Examples include:

Riot gas
Being shocked
Being knocked to the floor by Bio Operators using judo on you
Special Junji Ito secret assholes
Excessive counter-attacks from Dragon Kung-Fu or Zu Quan

Also not sure if it needs to be said but just in-case:
Aiming can be interrupted by people slapping you. If you try to precisely aim at someone too close they will walk up and slap you, resetting the time it takes to aim. If you select to not stop aiming, they will smack you again before you can get the shot off, prompting another "do you want to stop?". You can/will probably die before ever getting that shot off, so don't keep trying to do it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #413470

Too bad theres no gun kata martial art wherr if u get attackdd while aiming u do a backflip and shoot inair
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #413648

Will you two take your ERP to private messages and stop shitting up a perfectly good topic?
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #413973

im finding shelter challenges to be really good point investments because the basements almost always have at least decent-tier loot, like check this shit out

that said, any tips for early game warmth if i start with 0 fab/tailor? ive been making do with blankets/chestwrap/sock mits, etc but its a pain to take them off before each fight, not to mention dangerous.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #413999

I usually just take a day or two to powerlevel my skills a little. If you are near some cars and have the tools to remove them, car seats will give you leather patches(you can get nice stuff from cars. Even the car clocks can be a good way to get a watch early on). You can also just cut up spare sheets for rags and thread. Get level 3 tailor, make a bunch of T-shirts, Light Gloves, Balaclavas. Leather Cloaks will protect you from the rain completely, but they are kinda heavy. You will need fab 1 to make a wooden needle, i think. Still, just find something cheap to make in bulk.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #414004

Don't take rags apart for thread, it's very inefficient. Look for long/short strings and take them apart instead. Windows with curtains are a good source for them, as well as car seatbelts.

Turning a rag into thread takes like an hour or something close to it while turning a short string into thread only takes like 5 minutes.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #414010

Timbrewolf wrote:Don't take rags apart for thread, it's very inefficient. Look for long/short strings and take them apart instead. Windows with curtains are a good source for them, as well as car seatbelts.

Turning a rag into thread takes like an hour or something close to it while turning a short string into thread only takes like 5 minutes.
Always new stuff to learn~
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #414944

>you can only use the pixel minimap with tilesets
wtf I hate console now
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #419114

Ok so now that the knife spear early game is dead what is a good way to start out without getting infected to shit since clothes are about as sturdy as paper
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #419118

Jesus christ

Look, the only appealing portion of this game is beating the odds and surviving the first year or so. If you can't or don't want to go from defenseless puppy to experienced doggo, just get an easier start. I recommend Bionic prepper: you start with a machete and crossbow, plus some nice bionics. Learn to kill effectively, bust a lab or two, and then you're done with the game. Remember to aim, read that info box carefully when pressing the fire button.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #419125

Deitus wrote:Ok so now that the knife spear early game is dead what is a good way to start out without getting infected to shit since clothes are about as sturdy as paper
Forked Spear is just as good. Knife Spear isnt even ded. Maybe it just cannot carry you though the early game for once. Reach weapons in general are just too strong, but early game melee is brutally punishing with infections/bites. Its not that hard to get leather stuff though(spoilers: its not from killing animals). Then when you can make heavy survival armor, you are basically invincible to most zombies, as long as your stamina lasts.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #419129

Deitus just really fucking sucks at CDDA and we should stop giving him advice and tell him to play something else so he stops being frustrated.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #419136

i enjoy playing cdda and i appreciate the advice you guys give, im just looking for ways to optimize my games. didnt mean to annoy you guys so i apologize if it came across that way
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #419145

Deitus wrote:i enjoy playing cdda and i appreciate the advice you guys give, im just looking for ways to optimize my games. didnt mean to annoy you guys so i apologize if it came across that way
Eh i wasnt annoyed at all. Dont know about Super Aggro Crag. Personally the most amazing thing i realised when i started playing CDDA was that you can get so much stuff from disassembling building/cars. Curtains from windows give you rags, car seats give tons of leather patches, seatbelts are ropes. Hell, the clock on a car is a wrist watch. Their fuel tanks can be removed, emptied and used as water tanks. You can get a lot of shit real fast once you learn what stuff disassembles into. Then with all that stuff you powerlevel your skills and have leather armor on day 2-3.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #419152

I am annoyed, he's been at it since november and every time he gets cockslapped he comes here asking for meta strats. Learn the game, or don't, it's bad anyways.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #419532

Not annoyed just concernes for your well being
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #419550

Why are people yelling at the person keeping this thread alive? What?

Chill duders. Share your strategies and help another player out. Be excellent to eachother.

Infection tips:

Cauterizing a bite using a knife and source of flame fucking sucks try not to do it. I think these days it's more likely to immediately upgrade the bite to an infection than it is to clean the bite. Might be affected by either/both survival or medical, dunno. If you have a deep bite try to run around for a little while looking for something better to fix it before resorting to the knife. If you can't find something after a few hours then roll the dice.

IIRC liquor can be applied to bites to try to fix 'em, or at least used to make shitty improvised medical kits and give you a slightly better chance to try to cure it that way. Early game bites/infections are probably the number one killer of players tbh, and why I recommend grinding tailoring/suiting up as fast as possible as your highest priority in the beginning.

All that carrying capacity wont matter for shit when you're getting ripped apart and slowed down by pain, or festering wounds. Armor rating and encumbrance are the two most important stats for armor, carrying capacity should be an afterthought.

Armor progression is like:

Denim -> Leather -> Survivor Trenchcoat + Survivor Cargopants -> Fullbody Survivor suits GG you have practically won at this point

Try not to ever ever ever let any body part tip 20 encumbrance. I try to stay as low as I can go since it makes you faster, better at dodging, your melee and guns more accurate, etc. etc. etc.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #419570

Start in summer and create a new class called the shower samurai that starts with nothing but a towel and a katana. Making new profession is really easy I have done it.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #419590

Playing one of the bionic military professions is a great way to learn like has been said. When you have become god-king of the world start over again with a slightly less effective start.

Eventually you'll be grinding against RNG as a shower victim on a really bad day start hoping to fuck you find some kind of antibiotic ASAP or die.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #419654

Shower victim is fun
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #420495

>start a new run
>find a glock and 50 ammo in my bunker
>get to town
>oh shit fungaloids, i keep hearing how they're really bad
>realize they're nonagressive
>zombies hate them with a burning passion so they leave me alone
>thanks fungabros
>get a shitton more good loot and necessities while raiding a few buildings
>go to sleep after reading a few books thinking how lucky i've been
>wake up to see the walls of the house ive been squatting in have been fungalized
>haha thats weird but it cant be that bad r-right
>go outside
>over 2 pages worth of fungaloids milling around farting out spore clouds

ok so lesson learned about fungaloids.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #420499

Run as fast as you can before you get infected.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #420500

too late

literally everything in my reality bubble seems to be infected and there's a small country's worth of fungaloids making walls of *braaap* so i think imma just restart here

still kinda funny though
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #420593

Set it on fire before you restart. Always fun.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #420673

I play with fungalards off. Theyre boring to fight and they cause performance problems.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #420674

Fungaloids actually dont spread unless you keep them in your reality bubble, so just drive away. They are also a source of infinite plant sacs which give good hydration and can be made into cooking oil and as plant matter in a few vegetarian food dishes so having a few nearby can be useful as long as you dont let them get out of hand and have a gasmask to prevent infection
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #420679

Antifungal drugs are pretty easy to make in bulk anyways. The mass of enemies can give you something fun to do when you are geared enough to blow shit up. I can understand turning it off if the idea of spreading masses of units is intimidating for newer players, but it really isnt that bad.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #420680

Its fantastically fucking boring clearing them when i can get anything they give me from farming (excluding the marloss shit but im not a shroomfucking dimensiontraitor)
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #420684

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Its fantastically fucking boring clearing them when i can get anything they give me from farming (excluding the marloss shit but im not a shroomfucking dimensiontraitor)
Its not that bad. Its just a different kind of challenge compared to clearing out a city of zombies or dying instantly to Chicken Walkers. Not like you NEED to clear them out anyways.