cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Talk about video games here
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #232039

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cdda needs a poo poo and pee pee system so you can dig a latrine and scabenge for TP in military bases. Grind ur fabrication skill to make your own.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #232109

NPCs are still trash. Most recently lost my guy with a nodachi and heavy survivor gear because an asshole NPC started stealing my shit (making a beeline for it) and then when I started killing him, he threw a molotov in my face point blank, killing himself and setting me on fire. I didn't know how to put it out, so I burned to death.

Apparently you have to stand stock still (hold 5 or . to pass a turn) and you'll pat yourself out. That, or apparently always hold a fire extinguisher with you.

Either way, NPCs are STILL retarded and hyper aggressive and awful. Keep the dynamic ones off at all costs. They're not worth being able to train a skill in 30 minutes.
Apparently I was an director or something.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #232113

How to get rid of being on fire:

1. Submerge yourself in water

Uh
I don't know any others.
Have you tried to stop, drop and roll?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #232121

I have had this happen to me long ago. I usually play with them enabled but turn the instance down so that they appear very rarely. It can be fun to collect allies in a fortified location late game. I once reclaimed a small town and put groups of survivors in houses all around. Then a horde wandered by and an epic battle ensued, it was pretty great
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #232688

the cure for fire is literally standing still and waiting. it even tells you this.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #232830

Lumbermancer wrote:Is there a lazy newb pack for this?
Wyzack wrote:I mean not really, basically everything is contained within the game other than some of the crazier mods, which you probably will not want to mess with at first anyways. If you want the stable version with less features go Cooper, otherwise get the latest experimental. Be sure to download the tiles version of the game even if you want to play with the ASCII graphics, it has sound compatibility where the console does not.

Experimental is relatively stable, put in a LOT of hours lately and have only had one crash. You can also configure the autosave feature so you do not lose much progress

LIES WYZGUY
https://github.com/remyroy/CDDA-Game-Launcher/releases
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #232831

Oh i forgot about the launcher. Does it facilitate installing soundpacks? I know you helped me with it once a long time ago but after that they changed how the game handles soundpacks. I tried following a guide to install it on the latest experimental but i could not get it to work
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #232833

yes I added a screenshot in my above post, there is a soundpack tab and sizable mods tab, also it auto updates the launcher and probably auto updates the game if you set it up like that, but I don't.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #233096

Over the past four days I've started to slowly work on my car and fortify my home. All of my expeditions have ended in complete success with no resistance. I'm starting to worry that the game is saving up something awful for me. A mi-go was outside my house and screamed like a child. I stayed in my house for a bit, I came outside and it was gone.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #233314

I was cracking bank vaults (quite easy and potentially very rewarding) and was lucky enough to find a suit of RM13 power armor.

It functions much like power armor, but way lighter, with some bonus environmental protections, and you can wear it over other clothes.

The major downside is that while power armor can run on mundane power sources, this stuff can ONLY be powered by plutonium cells. It's great for doing known high-risk things though, and for riding around on a motorcylce with the armor powered off (since the encumbrance isn't an issue when driving.)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #329641

AWAKEN FROM THY DEEP SLUMBER, O THREAD

thinking of getting into this but the main site seems dead, did the devs drop it?
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #329771

Deitus wrote:AWAKEN FROM THY DEEP SLUMBER, O THREAD

thinking of getting into this but the main site seems dead, did the devs drop it?
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/ ?

there hasn't been a new release version in forever but if you download the launcher there are experimental updates like every 4 hours https://github.com/remyroy/CDDA-Game-Launcher/releases
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #329973

basically nobody wants to fix bugs to produce a release version

I picked this back up a bit, I might do another Write
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #329990

Install Coolthulu's mod for better ranged weapon aiming algorithms that are less retarded, and the option to disable needing painkillers to install CMBs
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #331253

What flavour of "less retarded" are you talking about?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331256

Less retarded as in

"A trained police sniper with a moderate degree of skill (6-8) can realiably hit a man sized target from farther than 6 meters away". Without this tweak guns are basically about as ranged as the Awl pike untill your skill is above 10
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #331406

in fairness the awl pike is /the shit/.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331445

Yes but one would expect a firearm to have a greater effective range than a spear.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #331488

Does anyone else set spider basements on fire at first sight?
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331534

Nah man, they have really good loot tables. You can find good guns, plutonium cells and ever power armor in them. Not to mention you can powder spider eggs for a really good non perishable food source
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #331540

But the spiders.

I set them on fire and then come down after everything burns away to collect the eggs.
you are mom is gay
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #331545

I hate webs it makes it hard to search. I make turrents and traps around the staircase then lead the spiders up and plink them with my sling shot o'death until they asplode. Then I eat their meat and make their chitin into pants
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #331546

Reminder to always eat zombie meat
you are mom is gay
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331553

Doesn't the fire destroy the eggsacks?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #331562

No.

Not that I've seen.
you are mom is gay
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331568

Neat, I'll have to try it

I am at a point in my current game where I am pretty self sufficient and have mid-late game gear, heavy survivor armor, wakazashi with the book of five rings art, plus a laser rifle mounted on my armoured solar hippy van, but due to the fact that only three labs have generated in like four overmap tiles and two had CDV machines i have not been able to get really late game gear
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #331580

Break banks.

You'll need either a very high Computers skill or an acetylene torch (I recommend the second) and a stethoscope. Find the metal doors leading to the vault, cut through them with the torch, and then examine the safes to be offered a chance to crack them. The safes can contain power armor, UPS's, plutonium cells, and potentially what I find to be the best armor in the game, RivTech flexible power armor (I forget the actual name.) It provides the same benefits as normal power armor, but is light enough that it can be safely worn while depowered (Just turn it on when you get into a fight), provides protection from water, electricity, etc- but the big selling point is that you don't have to be naked under it like you do with normal power armor. You can wear a bunch of heavy leather stuff under it and stack your armor values way high.

In my current game I haven't been able to find an intro construction book, so I can't make turrets, but I've got Melee 14/Cutting weapons 9 and Rising Sun (a katana crafted with a flamethrower).
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #331646

so if i were to go to the site and download the latest version right now, what mods should i definitely get/suggest i get? aside from the one removing dildos and fursuits and shit.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #331647

is it still nearly impossible to get started, especially on the mode where you have everything coming at you and not just normal zombies

I know that's partially the point, so I'm not saying that would make or break the game, I'm just curious if they've tweaked it at all
Limey wrote:its too late.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331658

I mean the game hasn't really gotten any easier if that's what you mean, but i think you just need to get familiar with what works and what doesn't. I occasionally still die on new files but i am at a point now where i need to actively handicap myself with bad starts to get a real challenge anymore. If you are looking to get back in to it i bet we could help you out

@Deitus i can't imagine why vibrators and fursuits would trigger you that much but more power to you if you wanna take them out. As is they are pretty rare. My only real problem with fursuits is that their item icon with the Chesthole tileset makes them look like an actual standing person and gives me a spook sometimes when i run into one unexpectedly. As to other mods, the only mod i can think of that doesn't come bundled in the base game is Coothulu's mod, which as i said earlier tweaks aiming to be better and has an optional to remove the need for painkillers when installing CMBs.

@Drynwyn i think bank vaults have had their loot nerfed recently. On my current file I have raided 5-6 bank vaults and the only worthwhile loot i have found has been two time dilation CMBs, the safes are usually empty and occasionally have a money bundle in them. This is with baseline item drop rates
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #331661

The vibrators can be "used" for a morale boost, can't they?
I know they leave the description vague as to whether it's a in-the-hole kind of vibrator or a back massager.

Also this: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclys ... sues/14833

The fact that it takes 20 minutes to use though tells us which it is :^)
Last edited by lntigracy on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you are mom is gay
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331664

No you (a)ctivate them to give yourself a massage and relieve some tension (bussa nut) for a pretty huge morale boost that wears off sorta fast. I never bothered with them, even post nerf MP3 players are good enough for morale management unless you are massacring peaceful NPCs without the psychopath trait
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #331682

ill just try jumping in feet first then

ill probably come here often to ask stupidly obvious questions
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #331711

>Removing fursuits

That stuff will keep you warm in winter
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #331747

Drynwyn wrote:Break banks.

You'll need either a very high Computers skill or an acetylene torch (I recommend the second) and a stethoscope. Find the metal doors leading to the vault, cut through them with the torch, and then examine the safes to be offered a chance to crack them. The safes can contain power armor, UPS's, plutonium cells, and potentially what I find to be the best armor in the game, RivTech flexible power armor (I forget the actual name.) It provides the same benefits as normal power armor, but is light enough that it can be safely worn while depowered (Just turn it on when you get into a fight), provides protection from water, electricity, etc- but the big selling point is that you don't have to be naked under it like you do with normal power armor. You can wear a bunch of heavy leather stuff under it and stack your armor values way high.

In my current game I haven't been able to find an intro construction book, so I can't make turrets, but I've got Melee 14/Cutting weapons 9 and Rising Sun (a katana crafted with a flamethrower).
>rivet made super power armor without the drawbacks of regular armor

God what a faggot.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331771

They removed the construction skill also. Good choice imo
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #331776

I've been playing on the stable, not the experimental. Should really try the experimental.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #331803

Drynwyn wrote:I've been playing on the stable, not the experimental. Should really try the experimental.
def should man it's not even like the same game
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331822

Yeah not even close. It's insane. The game gets 4ish updates a day in all the years since the stable release
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #331849

it's another "let's just ignore the stable branch for literal years and then make a big deal out of stable releases before they become horribly outdated 3 days later" episode
Limey wrote:its too late.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331856

Yeah i dunno Kevin has some strange ideas, not sure why the fuck we dont have a new stable yet but the experimental doesnt ever crash for me or anything like that
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #331868

I like crafting weapons and armor.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #331942

Me too. Heavy survivor armor is really awesome, you mostly only have to worry about acid when you have it on. Apparently you can layer it with a survivor wetsuit to be acid immune as well but it adds a shitload of encumbrance to do so
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #332050

I'm trying a playthrough on the experimental build. Starting as Traceuse (dodging 4, parkour expert) profession and pumping a bunch of points into Dodging, Parkour Expert, and Fleet-Footed. I started with dodging 9.

It's working pretty well so far!!!! "Nothing can actually hit me" is a pretty effective means of survival. (But fuck shocker zombies.)
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #332060

Shocker zombies are the devil's punishment to man
you are mom is gay
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #332066

Wyzack wrote:Yeah i dunno Kevin has some strange ideas, not sure why the fuck we dont have a new stable yet but the experimental doesnt ever crash for me or anything like that
0.D is supposed to be coming out soon, you can look on their github to track the progress

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/2

most of the issues on there are already fixed by mods, others are horridly simple like fixing a spriting error.

i don't think it'll be any more stable than any more of the experimental branches, but it'll at least demonstrate some form of continuity between stable branches
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #332069

Shocker zombies fucking suck but a wooden hafted weapon such as a baseball bat or a woodcutting axe is a godsend in taking care of them early game
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #332103

I've just been playing "run away very fast". Working for me so far.

Also, drank a vial of mutagen from a helicopter on a lark (since I took Robust Genetics) and it bumped my Night Vision two levels up to Full Night Vision.

Praise RNGesus.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #332180

Too bad there are no dragons in this game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #332389

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Too bad there are no dragons in this game.
Man, if only they had a firebreathing mutation.

I wanna FYIAD some zombies.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #332444

Do they have multi z level maps yet, and if so are you able to use your wing mutations to fly onto roofs? What about a jet pack? What about using a grapple hook to get up there? If not, wasted potential imo.

Demonforen, I think dragons are cool.