The Darkest Dungeon: 2.5D Dark Souls

Talk about video games here
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Re: The Darkest Dungeon: 2.5D Dark Souls

Post by Balut » #67736

Bottom post of the previous page:

I bring my Jester with my Leper and make him use the one +accuracy buff.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Riley
Byond Username: Furienify

Post by Riley » #67745

I think Bounty/Grave/Highwayman, Leper, and maybe Hellion all have camp skills that give +ACC to mitigate the Leper's weakness. Occultists can also bring the -DODGE mark spell to help him. Keeping his skills upgraded also helps, but as you start hopping into Medium/Hard quests, the to-hit upgrade bonuses are sort of nullified by increased enemy health pools, dodge, etc.

Grave Robber is great in parties that employ positioning shenanigans. Her lunge shuffle enables other frontliners to more easily use their own ranged or lunge skills, like Crusader's Holy Lance, which tend to hit like trucks. High evasion and speed means she can lunge to the front of the party to help recover from ambushes. She also has a really high crit rate - Flashing Daggers might look like a shitty Grape Shot, but it has less of a damage penalty, a much higher accuracy, and a sizable crit bonus instead of a crit penalty. She crits so often that it noticeably helps keep down party stress over longer runs.

Jester plays similarly, but is more support/tank oriented. He has the highest base Dodge in the game, easily amplified by keeping his armour upgraded and giving him Jester-specific trinkets. You can legit run a Jester as your main tank so long as you keep his armour upgraded. His dirk stab will always put him at the very front, making post-knockback rank shuffling much less problematic. Solo's accuracy debuff really helps compound the whole 'dodge tank' thing, as well.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67919

Okay I have a problem. After seeing upgraded twinky dinks I poured all variety of dosh into miss every important hit and suck general ass I delete my save and start again.

Just bad luck I guess but I will not suffer thousands of gold repeatedly whiffing hits before going down the drain. At least hit things on the way down you total garbage.
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #68157

change my whole entire house into a dungeon, um dungeon master with a full dungeon... in my house. And ah.. it's going really well.
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #68180

>I do the first dungeon, with enough provisions to make a trip to the moon on foot, a shovel, a key, and tons of torches
>I fucking waste most of it like a dumbass, there was no need for ALL of it.
>I read that the second dungeon I'll try doesn't have the need for rests.
>"Oh ok, only 4 rations, then? Also, fuck the shovel"
>There was rubble, since I had no shovel, that meant no passing towards a room.
>I use the 4 rations feeding an almost dead vestal.
>The crew works rather well, especially the new bounty hunter, but they get trashed well in one fight, and said bounty hunter is at death's door.
>I try to retrat back home, when I get warned to get dinner or face starvation.

Fucking dumbass noob sesion I had, restarting time for me.
Balut

Post by Balut » #68301

What. You can dig through rubble without the shovel, it just does a little damage to your dudes.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #68302

Digging without a shovel hurts everyone, takes a lot of time, and causes a bit of stress.

It's better to avoid it if you can. A shovel is pretty cheap.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #68429

I've had a single pile of rocks deal a death blow, drive two party members to masochism, and leave the last one on death's door.

Bring at least one shovel with you on every dungeon run, kids.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #75560

From my experience, the plague doctor is probably by far the most important class in the entire game, if only because of his stunning grenades. Being able to prevent the two guys in the back from attacking (usually high stress and high damage enemies) can prevent TONS of damage and stress. No stressful incantations, no vomit, no tempting goblets, no drums... it's great.

Highwayman is probably after that, because of their stupidly high damage output and grapeshot attack.

After that, the hellion is by far the most useful tank you could ask for, because they're extremely versatile with iron swan, if it bleeds, and whatever the attack that hits the 3 in front is called.

Speed is unbelievably important, as it lets you start earlier, and if you starting earlier means you can get those stuns in sooner or get a kill, you'll prevent a lot of damage and stress from possibly happening.

Crits are fantastic, it becomes very tempting to start using the pistol shot with the highwayman as opposed to grape shot or his melee attacks, just because it adds SO MUCH CRIT TO IT. And crits reduce stress immensely in your team, so that's pretty awesome.

I've found that healers are not very useful in the late game, because they just don't heal fast enough with divine comfort OR grace to be useful, and they don't deal particularly good damage either.

I think the best combo (in the late game) would be something like (back)plague doctor, highwayman, highwayman, hellion(front) and then just drag a ton of food with you.

Ignore the torches, they're not that useful. Being able to surprise enemies, while nice, is not worth the gigantic loss in loot which you're going to need to actually make progress. Remember that food heals you for more if you have more max HP, meaning anyone who has 50+ HP heals by 3 for every piece of food they eat.
Apparently I was an director or something.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #75854

Start with an highwayman up front

They get a pistol shot that deals bonus damage and moves them back one space
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #75858

Torches are very important for boss runs and runs for experience rather than loot.

Plague doctors are underpowered in my experience. You have much better stun options and pulling a rear enemy or pushing a front enemy is almost always better than stuinning them. Their heals are not that great either.

I prefer to run sweep teams. Jesters, Hellions, and Highwaymen. Consistent and high AOE damage is the easiest way to get through dungeons.
Balut

Post by Balut » #75866

Wait, Plague Docs have heals?
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #75885

Nope, only blight+bleed heals. Really useful when paired up with an Occultist before you can get some Cleansing Charms, or whatever that -bleed chance trinket is called.

Current team is Occ/GR/GR/GR, with one or two Grave Robbers being switched out with Highwaymen, Crusaders, whatever I have on hand. Juggling spaces with Lunge/Holy Lance/Duelist's Advance/Point-Blank Shot is surprisingly effective, and constant crits means I'm fine for sanity. Switch out with two Hellions if I need to kill any boss that isn't made of bones.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #75957

Plague docs have a weak heal that has a small chance to remove blight and bleed.