Talk about video games here
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #601302

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Little Nightmares is currently free on steam until the 30.05

Post by RaveRadbury » #601303

thanks for the tip, fam :)
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601329

imagine buying it before this post came out, couldn't be me.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #601371

Ok I'm downloading it now but I pirated the second one and it was both boring and not horror. If Rockstar made Manhunt III there would finally be a game that's genuinely intimidating as a player.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601379

cacogen wrote:Ok I'm downloading it now but I pirated the second one and it was both boring and not horror. If Rockstar made Manhunt III there would finally be a game that's genuinely intimidating as a player.
I pirate all the games of liberals, I.E caves of qud.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601401

I played it. It's boring. But it also wants you to try. I don't want to try at it.
Jonathan Gupta wrote:
cacogen wrote:Ok I'm downloading it now but I pirated the second one and it was both boring and not horror. If Rockstar made Manhunt III there would finally be a game that's genuinely intimidating as a player.
I too pirated it but didn't have the patience for it. I remember reading /pol/ retards on /v/ taking exception to it for some political reason I don't remember. They think whining about a game on the internet is power.
NSFW:

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601407

cacogen wrote:Image

I played it. It's boring. But it also wants you to try. I don't want to try at it.
Jonathan Gupta wrote:
I too pirated it but didn't have the patience for it. I remember reading /pol/ retards on /v/ taking exception to it for some political reason I don't remember. They think whining about a game on the internet is power.
oh, I'll tell you why there is a furry OC ingame that is unkillable and has gotten kicked out of their tribe for 'their wacky appearance or sum shit don't quote me on that. That's just the general message. It's a queer furry OC that's why /pol/ went on /v/ taking exception.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #601518

i played both games and i liked them :}
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601530

You just walk sideways and have to solve a puzzle or figure out how to get past a threat without dying to continue. Which describes a lot of games. But you don't get weapons, powers or parkour in this one. You just run away slowly. And it isn't scary, so if the point is to create a sense of vulnerability they failed. I'm sorry, I want to enjoy the free game but I can't.

I also noticed it has a ton of DLCs like an upside teapot hat for $1.19 so it seems given the second one was released earlier this year they're using the first one which probably isn't selling much nowadays as a loss leader to get you to buy dumb shit if you like these. Maybe LIMBO was enigmatic enough to get people to play it to see what would happen but given we've had Inside, and two Little Nightmares now I feel like what they're doing is wearing thin at this point.
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #601654

cacogen can you make a good post for once
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601660

No, but that post is not one I regret and you only make me want to double down more.
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #601665

cacogen wrote:No, but that post is not one I regret and you only make me want to double down more.
your brain so smooth its invisible cuz light bends around its surface
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601667

It's rare and valuable, unlike Little Nightmares, which is boring and derivative soy horror. It would be fun if you did anything but run away, basic platforming and solving puzzles. Anytime in that previous post where I said I think or I feel was actually the objective truth. I'm not sorry I can't enjoy the free game. It's boring and they only released it for free to make money from DLCs. Crag is almost always wrong.
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #601703

UGH DUDE IM IN A POSITION OF VULNERABILITY! WHY CANT I JUST SHOOT THE MONSTERS WITH MY DEAGLE! THIS IS SO BORING AUUUGH I CAN'T FIGHT THEM WITH MY KATANA?! UUUGH MY POWER FANTASY IS DIMINISHING I AM BECOMING SOOOOOOOOY

Go play fortnite

Imagine being such a sludge-headed fuckfence you come into a thread where someone tells people about a free puzzle platformer with spoopy elements and you bitch irs not TRUE KVLT HORROR cuz the enemies dont run around naked and scream about raping you like in your epic ps2 game. Maybe Outlast is more your speed, you edgy fuckwit. No one is impressed about you coming into a thread to brag about how not scared and bored you are.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601704

Super Aggro Crag wrote:UGH DUDE IM IN A POSITION OF VULNERABILITY! WHY CANT I JUST SHOOT THE MONSTERS WITH MY DEAGLE! THIS IS SO BORING AUUUGH I CAN'T FIGHT THEM WITH MY KATANA?! UUUGH MY POWER FANTASY IS DIMINISHING I AM BECOMING SOOOOOOOOY

Go play fortnite

Imagine being such a sludge-headed fuckfence you come into a thread where someone tells people about a free puzzle platformer with spoopy elements and you bitch irs not TRUE KVLT HORROR cuz the enemies dont run around naked and scream about raping you like in your epic ps2 game. Maybe Outlast is more your speed, you edgy fuckwit. No one is impressed about you coming into a thread to brag about how not scared and bored you are.
not really little nightmares aren't scary, it is soy horror in a way he didn't speak about deagle fucking the monsters either. This is a redherring crag, crag is always wrong.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601720

Super Aggro Crag wrote:UGH DUDE IM IN A POSITION OF VULNERABILITY! WHY CANT I JUST SHOOT THE MONSTERS WITH MY DEAGLE! THIS IS SO BORING AUUUGH I CAN'T FIGHT THEM WITH MY KATANA?! UUUGH MY POWER FANTASY IS DIMINISHING I AM BECOMING SOOOOOOOOY

Go play fortnite

This is weak. I can't tell if you actually interpreted those posts as bragging about not being disturbed by spooky LittleBigPlanet or not. But the point I was making was that the lack of things to do as a player in these games (and so lack of engagement) isn't justified by creating a sense of vulnerability because despite being sold as horror games they're never actually scary. I wish I could enjoy it. It's frustrating to think other people can and seem to find it adequate.

I thought you were a based and redpilled /pol/ guy so why does the appeal to soy irk you? Calling wanting video games to be fun a power fantasy seems like code switching to me.

/pol/ types shitpost those soy horror infographics on /tv/ from what I can tell to protest horror becoming artsy, intellectual and progressive but there's also somewhat of a valid argument to the term because these things do appeal to pussies who find real horror too violent, disturbing or offensive. Calling this game horror because of its atmosphere and player vulnerability when it isn't scary and aspires to have the aesthetics of a grim picture book reminds me of this.

And after playing RE8 which was both dumb schlock and only briefly flirted with the possibility of ever being intimidating I (potentially wrongly) assume the only AAA studio capable of creating something intelligent and not watered down enough to actually scare people who aren't NPCs (another /pol/ meme but they're sometimes based in a grain of truth even when misapplied) is Rockstar if they ever make Manhunt III.
Jonathan Gupta wrote:

Go play fortnite

not really little nightmares aren't scary, it is soy horror in a way he didn't speak about deagle fucking the monsters either. This is a redherring crag, crag is always wrong.
Thank you I wish you could get a deagle in this Deadbolt is a good game. It's not horror but it has a horror aesthetic, you are vulnerable and it's fun.
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #601733

Manhunt isnt a horror game its an assassination game like splinter cell or hitman but the targets are skinheads who call you nigger and theres a naked guy with a chainsaw in one level

Calling shit "soy horror" cuz it isnt blood and guts barely legal teen girl massacrefest is faggotry. I like horror movies, even the occasional shitty dumb as fuck slasher film. But insisting everything needs to be elbow deep in slutty schoolgirl intestines to be true horror is the realm of pure jellybrained redditation, the kind of fuckwits who think they're connesuirs of the media because they thought Terrifier and Willy's Wonderland was So Epic Bros. Something doesn't need to be as edgy as bismuth to be horror. You dont need to make three (3) seperate fucking posts talking about how much you think this game isn't scary. Grow up
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #601737

C'mon Crag, Willy's Wonderland was epic though, it's ironic horror and you gotta admire Cage's performance. Everything he's in is immediately epic. Also, his one-liners on this movie were gold.

Anyway I got this game now. Should I play it?

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601738

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Something doesn't need to be as edgy as bismuth to be horror.
It does. If you accept that something needs to be scary to be horror, then it needs to push the boundaries of what you're comfortable with.
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #601740

cacogen wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Something doesn't need to be as edgy as bismuth to be horror.
It does. If you accept that something needs to be scary to be horror, then it needs to push the boundaries of what you're comfortable with.
Retard take. I pity your inability to get enjoyment out of anything but liveleak cartel clipshows, you're only 15 and you've already fried your brain completely.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601786

The fallback on moral puritanism is bizarre and could be interpreted as either soy or /pol/ depending but something doesn't have to be nihilistic and degrading to be horror. It can help, though.

In 28 Weeks Later, a woman has her face caved in with the camera. When I first saw it when I was about 15 it stayed with me. You could argue that it was edgy and degrading (I don't think anyone has though) but that is what horror should do.

And if something is true to the horrors of the world and doesn't dehumanise its victims by exploiting their suffering for cheap scares I don't see that as a bad thing. You can read about the experiences of the victims of serial killers but when films are made about them (Dahmer for example, which whitewashes him) they usually shy away from the details. You could argue it spares the victim's family but it also means the true horror of the experience will always be the victim's alone. People are already far more interested in the killer than the victims. People should be forced to evaluate them as they truly were.

Zodiac has the picnic scene and the male victim survived the stabbing and consulted on the film and it's a prime example of horror done well because it pushes the audience's boundaries with how real it looks and the refusal to cut away to spare them.

On the other hand, you have games like this that advertise themselves as horror but do nothing actually scary. Maybe because if it were scarier less people would buy it. And that would be fine if it were fun to play, like DEADBOLT, which is not supposed to be scary but is horror-themed. But instead the gameplay revolves around solving puzzles and running away. Presumably to create a sense of vulnerability on behalf of the player. But it doesn't make you feel scared, so you have a horror game that isn't fun and isn't scary.
NSFW:

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #601866

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601895

I have killed this thread and I will kill you too
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #601897

cacogen wrote:I have killed this thread and I will kill you too
so like what do you think of things like The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Lighthouse, and Greener Grass?
These are all things with horror elements (first one especially I think is a stretch to call actual horror but I'm sure some kid was spooked by it)
Greener Grass is definitely horror, but it's horror/comedy. It's built around things like losing family members and becoming isolated.

Yeah there's definitely "horror that you can only watch from between your fingers" where the screen is showing you grotesque things (I get the idea that's why you mention Manhunt as a horror example), but does something really need to be Nature Trail to Hell in 3D in order for it to be horror?

There's creeping/fridge horror, a kind of horror that you don't fully realize later, I'm a fan of that personally. Lovecraft's whole deal was fear of the unknown, he has a story about being lost in a pitch black cave and then at the end the guy gets light and sees that there was some creepy cave ape that had been around him and he managed to kill.

At the end of the day horror is about evoking fear, and fear is about not having control. If anything could be considered the essence of horror I'd think it would be that, so many horror movies are about the main characters being told "yeah don't do x" and then they do x and the audience is like "fuck don't do that they told you not to"

I really want to post the clip from the KOTH episode "Grand Theft Arlen" where one of the Pro-Pain game devs says "Body horror makes classic horror look like Euro horror" as a conclusion to my post but there's no good version of it online so. :roll:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601901

RaveRadbury wrote: At the end of the day horror is about evoking fear, and fear is about not having control.
If you accept that horror is about scaring the audience, then how can something not scary be horror? I'm not sure if I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas in full, but I got the gist of its plot and style from Kingdom Hearts. While I can definitely appreciate the film's aesthetics there's nothing scary about it. It's meant to be suitable to children. You could call it horror-inspired, but I wouldn't call it horror. I haven't seen the other two movies you mentioned to comment.

You could argue that if most audience members find something scary, then it's horror. But then it's mediocre horror.

Why isn't more horror actually intimidating to watch the first time? Like Green Room or Utopia (which are thrillers, but still)? Is it a lack of ability, or just less marketable?

For example, it was easy to believe the team behind RE8 were too stupid to make something scary. The game is schlock. Everything it does is either mediocre or bad. But then I got to the Beneviento basement and experienced something close to intimidating. Later I learned they had aimed to make the game less scary to sell better. It's sad to think that even if everything else had to be disappointing shit, at least it could've been scary.
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #601905

cacogen wrote: I'm not sure if I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas in full, but I got the gist of its plot and style from Kingdom Hearts.
Wow
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #601965

RaveRadbury wrote:
cacogen wrote: I'm not sure if I've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas in full, but I got the gist of its plot and style from Kingdom Hearts.
Wow
wheeze-laughed
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601966

PKPenguin321 wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:
Wow
wheeze-laughed
sussy for not posting on among us thread.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601984

RaveRadbury wrote:
Wow
It's pretty trash. I mean, there are better things to be precious about.
NSFW: