Talk about video games here
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Game of the year: 2021

Post by WineAllWine » #622929

What's your game of the year?

rules:
1. It must have been released this year.
2. You must have played it.

Mine is: The forgotten city. Sure it's a bit nuts and it goes completely off the rails towards the end but the puzzle elements were fun, an interesting premise and I was always engaged.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Re: Game of the year: 2021

Post by wubli » #622930

it takes two, managed to squeeze twenty hours out of it and played it with a friend who made it even better :}
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #622941

So the games I played that I can think of are:

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX (PC version)
Little Nightmares 2
Disco Elyisum: The Final Cut
Hades
Loop Hero
Resident Evil Village
Deathloop
Forza Horizon 5
Halo: Infinite

I wish I'd played Hitman 3, Far Cry 6, Inscryption and Deltarune.

As much as I thought Deathloop would be like another Prey (and there was potential, it just felt highly truncated) it was very streamlined, disposable and forgettable. I have to go with the classic, the type of game that only comes around once every 5 years or so, a game that touches your soul and assures that everything is going to be okay — Disco Elysium: The Final Cut.
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #622957

WineAllWine wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:32 pm What's your game of the year?

rules:
1. It must have been released this year.
2. You must have played it.

Mine is: The forgotten city. Sure it's a bit nuts and it goes completely off the rails towards the end but the puzzle elements were fun, an interesting premise and I was always engaged.
do expansions count, Echoes of the Eye was my favorite thing I played this year
otherwise iunno, i didn't play a lot of releases this year, so cruelty squad I guess
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #623013

Inscryption
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #623014

Cruelty Squad
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #623018

inscryption, ended up liking the forgotten city a lot more than i expected to though
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #623023

Halo: Infinite (Multiplayer, haven't played campaign yet). The gameplay itself is quite fun if you ignore challenges which I do because I can't be bothered about that sort of thing. I've heard the campaign is very good so I'll probably shell out the 60 for that sometime soon.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #623036

inscryption was pretty nice
i am currently grinding ARENA OF KINGS
very "pogchamp" game highly recommend it if you liked wow arena, guild wars 1
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #623052

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut was an incredible game I wish I hadn't devoured as quickly as I did. I was incredibly engaged by its thought-provoking yet also thoroughly funny and entertaining writing, its dynamic and developed characters and the simple fact that it didn't shy away from talking politics (something far too many games eschew for fear of, gasp!, making a statement).

Deltarune Chapter 2 was similarly a really fun and well-written little number that I finished in like, a day. I can say with a great deal of certainty that when the next parts start coming out over the next year or so, they'll add up to one of the best games of the decade.

Hitman 3 was a pretty fun expansion on the gameplay of the first two, with fun locales and mission stories that fit the setting and tone quite well. The last level is a particularly excellent shake-up of the usual formula and I wish there were more levels like it.

Control was fucking kickass – the combat, setting, lore, and graphics were excellently done, and anyone whose played it can tell you a different thing they loved about it (although almost everyone will agree the Ashtray Maze was superb). Best of all, it didn't make my original Xbox One wheeze like an asthmatic senior citizen going into cardiac arrest despite the pretty visuals – which is less than I can say for Firewatch, a game that came out almost 6(!!!) years ago, and that I started and finished yesterday.

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance breathed new life into one of my favorite roguelikes/roguelites of all time (and I've played a lot of roguelikes/roguelites), with updated visuals, new areas, and a ton of new content that expanded the game and gave it the true ending it deserved. Hopefully, Edmund McMillan finally releases something else of its caliber soon.

Doom Eternal was really fun, and although I didn't love it as much as DOOM (2016), it was still a really solid shooter that took me a lot longer than some of the other releases around that time.

Even though it only technically "came out this year" on iOS, I only got around to playing Night in the Woods this year and it blew me away with its excellent visuals, wonderful writing and character design, and a soundtrack I still listen to in order to pump myself up in the morning.

Back 4 Blood was a pretty good spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead, which exchanged excellent characterization and level design for a wider variety of equipment and a more robust Director system. Take that as you will.

Honestly, depending on your qualifications, I could give any of these my "Game of the Year" award. Each has something unique to offer.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.