SPACE ENGINEERS

Talk about video games here
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Re: SPACE ENGINEERS

Post by Jazaen » #134814

Bottom post of the previous page:

Thunder11 wrote:
Jazaen wrote:You need to aim really well if you plan on dropping this from space/near space
This is why, if it managed to not despawn, I'd prefer to use a heap of stone. Don't need to aim quite so well when you're blanketing a large area in rocky shrapnel.
Then it probably won't penetrate the rock. Though it still might damage everything on the surface, so you can get the real siege equipment down.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134830

That is why you hide your turrets in underground shafts and extend them by piston the moment ugly shows up.

Mass Effect's vehicle missions taught me that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134835

Jazaen wrote:Waaait, so the server DOESN'T have ramming disabled? This was all just... My lag? Hngggggggg...
No it was disabled, I accidently had a box unchecked that meant all the damage was disabled to objects...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134856

Sorry to disappoint but connectors only explode on loading a world.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134968

Easy. Make a contraption that crashes the server and forces the reboot.

Next step, godhood! (Of course, you need to actually connect the damn things together, which is the hardest step outside inventing the server crasher)
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134987

Have a laggy guy move through a sensor field to crash the game.

Currently 50% off tell ya grotz.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #135182

I tried joining the serber the other day but apparently it was on an older version than the current one. No worries though because 5 minutes later I figured out my potato will probably never run planets without exploding in a ball of fire, since you have to be on dx11 to even gen planets
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135190

Yeah sorry about that there is still DX9 support for planetless stuff apparently it just can't handle planets.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #135213

Space engineers is on free play this weekend, good a time as any to install it and derp around.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #135555

server is saying its out of date
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #135697

Malkevin wrote:server is saying its out of date
Crap only just saw that, probably something to do with the free weekend. I'll updoot now.

EDIT: Updooted
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #135814

Decided to spawn old faithful Yellow ship to set up a moon base
Nope, caught in Earth's gravity.

Try to aim for a lake for easy access to water but the ion thrusters aren't doing a thing, I'm plummeting down at terminal velocity.
I'm expecting to splatter right into terrafirmer but my piloting skills are just too damn good, I bounce and roll harshly against the terrain but my ship is completely intact save a few extra dents and I've landed belly down.

Every landing you can walk away from...

Go to work chopping my ion thrusters off and replacing them with atmo thrusters.
Dear god, how many fucking motors???

Scavenge every non-essential motor by deconning my door, collector and connector, and oxygen generator.
This gets me around a two dozen... no where near enough

Look at the assembler, seeing what gives nickle... and its not a right lot seeing as batteries only give slag when you decon them (not that my ship had batteries).
Decon my o2 bottles and the medical room to decon the medical components.

Manage to assemble around 250 motors, enough for... damn it! TWO small atmo thrusters?!?!?

Build the two atmos thrusters pointing down.
They don't give even enough thrust to slide my ship....
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135822

Try building a wheel craft from the ground up they can sit still. Atmo thrusters are pretty shit and with the power economy all fucked up with keen deciding to encourage an all battery/solar planet economy the same update they introduce a ton of battery bugs (meant to be able to be taken from after solar panels auto charge without completely discharging etc). Only solution is to sit still for a bit and at that point wheels do it better. If you want weaker gravity for starting out on a moon. The moons are less expensive to live on and actually have a better resource distribution because keen wanted them to be your step after planets. For atmo thrusters basically always build small ship small atmo in huge numbers (weigh less per lift), only use large ship large thrusters as large smalls are buggy and shit. Simply do not put solar panels on a flying craft they literally do nothing while you have bat power contrary to intended behavior. Keep in mind cargo has weight and the stored components and ore weigh more on lower cargo settings! You will need scaffolding to build things until you get a welder ship to build from cockpit from.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135921

Whelp tried to start on pas's server what are these settings 1x pmuch everything and fixed view. I dunno what the day night cycle is seems long.

Somehow got the grind time into a fraction to fit with everything being a slow grind in a semi functional environment that could bug out on you any time I don't think many starter stations will survive a night if the trash cleaning tools go for unpowered objects.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #135981

The key is to get the reactor down from the starting ship and depower EVERYTHING that is not necessary, if possible leaving only reactor online, maybe flight steat or some container. Should last you a few RL weeks.

*QuickEdit: And yeah, grinding speed is bad. You can get lots of motors from disassembling the starting ship though.
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #135983

Yeah forgot to take the uranium out because eh planet will catch it. Vanishes never to be seen I started night side so I got to a point where I just ran out of power mid transfering the medbay. Gonna spawn again but this will just be unbearable long term with production speeds that low and looking at my beardy spess man in locations makes me happy realism pov can suck it.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136007

Incomptinence wrote:Whelp tried to start on pas's server what are these settings 1x pmuch everything and fixed view. I dunno what the day night cycle is seems long.

Somehow got the grind time into a fraction to fit with everything being a slow grind in a semi functional environment that could bug out on you any time I don't think many starter stations will survive a night if the trash cleaning tools go for unpowered objects.

Yeah Im gonna alter the grind speeds. Inventory and weld speeds are at 10, everything else is at 1

Also the recent patch seemed to have locked 3rd off fnr... gonna look at it now, also gonna look at reducing the day night cycle to 1 hour.

EDIT: Ok I fucked up a couple of things that didnt save when I first made the server. SO here's a quick lowdown

Grinder 10x (was 1)
Welder 10x
Hack speed x0.1 (was 0.33, default 1)
Assembler 5x (was 1)
Assembler efficiency 5x (was 1)
Sun orbit 90 mins (was 240)
3rd Person True (was false)
object damage True (was false!!!)

And the rest is standard. Any other options people want/need me to change?
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136008

Ah thanks thought it was all intentional because you had gone full realism or something.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #136014

>Full realism
>No object damage
Yeah, about that, you could probably do a planetfall in a flight seat severed from everything else and survive (... I think)
Also, fear the day when Space Engineers devs implement atmospheric heat effects.
I play:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136048

Oh... so thats why my yellow ship survived freefall... not my l33t flying skills :(
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136059

Malkevin wrote:Oh... so thats why my yellow ship survived freefall... not my l33t flying skills :(
"Seems that way"

Wondered why I also survived a hideous crash the other day... (well actually thats what caused me to look into it im more detail)
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136250

I've taken over the starter base and the nearby pirate base on the habitable planet.
Where the hell are the asteroids? I've literally taken to scavenging drone reactors for uranium since I can't find any to mine. Planet update is too big.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136272

Two words, solar power. :P
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136353

I had to decon the batteries to hack them, and keen made it so power cells become scrap metal when grinding now, (also their whole thing of batteries starting out at 30% charge doesn't work when hacking so HONK) so I've been having power issues. Solars can kinda power it during the day, but managing battery charge levels is a pain. (The capacitor mode thing is broken). Anyways, I'm planning on building a comm satellite network once I find enough resources to get off the ground (literally).
Oh dunno if you guys already know this, but for some reason if you turn off inertial dampers on planet you'll barely use any hydrogen fuel for your jetpack rather than the ten seconds you have with them turned on.
Edit: jetpack exploit was fixed, but they last for a minute instead of 10 seconds now.
Last edited by Shadowlight213 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136376

Batteries currently refuse to let solar power things first before themselves properly (it was meant to be easy) so if you leave em recharging or auto they will take ALL the power and if you don't they make your solars do nothing (although I have gotten them to sometimes both charge and provide). So my perfectly functional solar base depowered the medbay due to batteries then I had to orbital drop like 40 times before I decided to fuck it and cross the entire world in a new lander. The planet spawn is shit it would be better if we could just be spawned on the surface in a rover or something.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136383

Finally figured out how to have the stupid Capacitor thing work. It only works with exactly 1 active battery. Any more and they start fucking up by charging off eachother.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136385

Ugh
You gonna report that on their forums?
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136455

Incomptinence wrote:The planet spawn is shit it would be better if we could just be spawned on the surface in a rover or something.
They changed it in the last hotfix, the problem is that planets terrain can be so changeable you could spawn under/in the ground and would therefore just die. Which is why the spawn "height" is so high up.
palpatine213 wrote:Finally figured out how to have the stupid Capacitor thing work. It only works with exactly 1 active battery. Any more and they start fucking up by charging off eachother.
Yeah if you put one battery on, charge it up, then turn it off and put the second one on and put that in cap mode you'll always have a back up fully charged battery.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136562

I've established a tiny base at the edge of the moon's ice caps. Short range explorations reveal the ore makeup to be similar to planets unfortunately. However, the lower gravity does make mining and building a lot easier!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136569

Moons have an actual chance of platinum dunno if uranium is more common.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #136600

I tried out the new update today but dislike survival so I probably won't play on the server. I had this issue where I started building a ship on a planet and couldn't get it to take off for some reason even after attaching like 200 ion engines. Turns out, I had to disable landing gear because the minute I did that my ship beelined it out of orbit. I'm quite the space engineers scrub despite having the game for awhile
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136632

Ion shouldn't even work on a planet. Are you a wizard?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #136634

He's a corgi, corgis don't give a shit about reality.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #136641

Ions do work in atmosphere but at like 1% efficiency I thought.
Having 200 of them probably worked great, holy shit. I wonder what that monstrosity looked like.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136643

I would love to play some more survival but the buggy mining progress really saps my enthusiasm.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #136645

This game is incredibly graphical resource intensive. That's wouldn't be the biggest issue in the world if it allowed you to disable needless graphical elements - I really don't care for the post processing or soft shadows, I just want to play the dumb game, rawr.

(I actually can run it on this computer, but couldn't on my previous one, and I was stuck on that for years.)
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #136647

It's funny because when it started it was praised for and advertised as being cheap to run.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136649

They need another feature freeze badly they are producing non crash bugs faster than they can fix them and obviously need to give crash bugs priority so the game runs worse but hey it ain't crashing much!
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136650

They've been talking about just ditching it and rebuilding it on a new engine from the ground up, though that would almost definitely be re-released as SE2 which would piss off a feck load of people as this doesnt yet feel like a finished product.

I made a really nice looking osprey (C&C style) with two cockpits and landing struts and a user controllable turret, but for some reason it flies fine for a while then just disintegrates... I tried loading in in creative and it flies fine... I have no idea whats doing it and if its just a bug or if its something badly built.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #136653

I last played it a year an a half ago and it seemed like a fairly finished product to me. I mean sure, you can add onto it basically infinitely, however what was there was solid.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #136679

What people are saying, and I agree, is that they themselves have added on to SE and this has drastically changed the stability of it. Its kinda really buggy, which can be damn frustrating in survival mode.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #136709

Now someone make a giant dick and crashland it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136766

Moon base is fully functional!(Only one sealed room with oxygen and a couple airlocks, and the exterior portions are still frames, but it's functional damnit) Got a few lucky breaks and found a bunch of various ore deposits.
I even made a laser antenna to establish communications with the planet, but literally everyone's base is on the opposite side of the planet. :(
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #136767

You know what to do. Build a relay satellite.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136776

Maybe I will join you and come moonside maybe getting started will be less frustrating there.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136813

Damnit. I was going to start working on the relay sat, but having server connection issues.
Oh, Incompitence I found your buggy teetering on the edge of a cliff a ways away from your base. Brought it back for you.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136818

Ta, breaks aren't working properly.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #136855

aparrotly the last "hotfix" raised the minimum requirements for the game to even fucking open. There are tons of people pissed off in the comments of the update because they were playing just fine and now can't even start the game. I was gonna try playing for a bit but was met with the insufficient minimum requirements at the main menu. It doesn't even let you load the game that you payed for if you can't meet these
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #136857

Don't worry, I'm sure Steam will understand and give you a refund if you ask

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #136881

Takeguru wrote:Don't worry, I'm sure Steam will understand and give you a refund if you ask

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
already have like 90 some hours in the game. I'm pretty sure steam only refunds a game if you've played it under 10 hours
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #136886

Yeah, a lot of people are bitching about that on Keen's forums, saying they don't give a fuck about foliage, soft shadows, etc. They just wanna play the damn game.
Edit: I think that their hotfix didn't actually raise the requirements, it just made them actually be detected. Still sucks for people.