Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Talk about video games here
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Incomptinence » #259899

Bottom post of the previous page:

Fun note on multiplayer their dlc policy is only host needs to have non cosmetic expansions in a multiplayer game.

So if whoever hosted had both utopia and leviathans the entire old gang could get the full experience.

Doesn't apply to cosmetics but unlike earlier tittles you can see my cosmetic dlc plants ahoy.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #260165

Wyzack wrote:I dont mind starting over for new content but i dont want to burn out my enjoyment of the game with new stuff around the corner, i'll probably wait it out. Thanks for the advice.

I feel like i never get the most out of these games. I just like to kinda build my civilization and expand and go to war at my own pace, so i never really play any multiplayer unless i can find people who just kind of want to play a chill noncompetitive run

I like games where players aren't afraid to kill each other. The multiplayer games I played in it seemed everyone wanted to be buddy buddy and not fight.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #260568

Wyzack wrote:play a chill noncompetitive run
fe fi fo fum i smell the blood of a savescum
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #260680

Government reworks and Hive Minds

Traditional governments are being thrown out of the window in favour of Authorities and Civics.
Authorities determine who has the keys to your government (Democracy, Oligarchy, Dictatorship and Imperial Monarchy)
Civics determine aspects of your governments and how it is run. For example, one of the civics holds that only members of the military have the right to vote if you want to make a Starship Troopers/Helldivers/Turian society.

Civics are dependant on your governing Ethos and the authority of the government and can be made invalid through the course of the game. If this happens, you can reform a governemnt, like you normally would, and you'll be refunded your points to re-spend on civics and be allowed to re-choose your authority. Some civics can't be undone (such as syncretic evolution) and some civics can only be obtained through the course of the game.

A special kind of authority exists only with the Utopia DLC exists known as Hive-Mind. Hive-minds get their own unique form of civics but do not gain any benefits from ethoses. Their pops are not affected by happiness and as such, will only perform jobs as though they only had 50% happiness. Hive-minded pops cannot exist in non-hive-mind empires and vice-versa (They can genetically engineer non-hive-minded pops to be hive-minded like themselves and they'll be considered a part of the hive-mind ruling over them). In addition Hive-minds have immortal rulers but may not pursue any form of AI or psionic research or go down those ascension paths, they're also distrusted by other empires on first contact.

In short, Hive-minds have no internal troubles and never need to worry about nity or influence, but, have restrictions on how they play and can be outpaced by a well-managed Empire.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #261414

New trailer is upon us. Praise our Paradox Overlods! PRAISE! WHAT WAS SHALL BE WHAT SHALL BE WAS WHAT WAS SHALL BE WHAT SHALL BE WAS
Also, those FTL drive effects.

[youtube]YmvGlBFaFEU[/youtube]
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #261435

Guess it's time to go back and redo all of my custom empires.
I'm fine with this.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #261440

80% of stellaris: creating race
20% of stellaris: getting killed by fanatical purifiers
I can't wait for this dlc.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #261441

I admit that about 70% of my custom made empires are different flavors of human.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #261444

I've made a variety of races tbh.
My most successful Empire was one I made to be literally Space Elves (Traits: Talented + Venerable at a minimum, Ethos: Spiritualist, Militarist, Individualist). Long lived, talented leaders are extremely powerful, especially in the late-game.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #261445

... I admit one of the Human races uses a customer Alpha Centauri start. Earth is automatically a Tomb world.

... Their Homeworld is a savannah named Chiron.

Although my favorite is a weird sort of highly individualistic materialist humans that were kidnapped from earth long ago and became something known as "The Diasporic Colonies."

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #274615

I'm ready for the biggest update yet

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... s.1008247/
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #274618

ALWAYS HIVEMIND

>science megastructure
:?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #274626

>livestock
>processing
oh my fuck
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #274630

eat the galaxy

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #274636

Timberwolf wrote:
Oh god I can't control my fucking dick

Gotta duct tape this thing to my thigh

Clobber it with my shoe
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #275787

[youtube]iqGrB0HX6Ok[/youtube]
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #276521

Soon.
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #276583

>Wiz's dead stare
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277322

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #277323

Wiz is actually a communications drone from Paradox Hivemind.
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277326

Spoiler:
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #277328

Sooooooooon.
I play:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #277329

Hope they put the other DLCs on discount, paradox usually does this whenever a new DLC for CK2/EU4 comes out
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277332

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #277334

Am I the only one who finds this game aggressively boring? I tried a second run and stopped after a while, can't be bothered to come back. I think I'm used to eu4 having many more countries in play, making diplomacy more exciting.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277343

Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #277345

>that number format

god you weirdo.
私は完璧
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277349

Remie Richards wrote:>that number format

god you weirdo.
Spoiler:
K-64
Byond Username: K-64

Post by K-64 » #277404

Pretty sure they use the full stop for the separators in large numbers. Bloody backwards euros
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #277451

Yeah I think China uses four. It's really annoying to translate numbers between Chinese to English this way
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277567

We use full stops and commas in reverse order, yeah.

Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #277571

You mean "we use it in the proper order".

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #277573

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277575

DemonFiren wrote:You mean "we use it in the proper order".
of course, I'm just trying to accomodate the yanks
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #277579

Ricotez wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:>that number format

god you weirdo.
[youtube]8_iixmqSBQw[/youtube]
私は完璧
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #277599

Spoiler:
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #277661

So, is Corvette Spam still the meta?

EDIT: Also, anyone got any ideas for a Fanatic Purifiers Race?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #277670

I thought they fixed that before even horizon.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #277819

killerx09 wrote:So, is Corvette Spam still the meta?

EDIT: Also, anyone got any ideas for a Fanatic Purifiers Race?
>fanatic purifiers

empire of man, v2

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #277825

I made a deal with The Shroud.
Spoiler:
Do not make deals with The Shroud.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #277885

That's what you get for ignoring big red letters!
I play:
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #277899

killerx09 wrote:So, is Corvette Spam still the meta?
It's still applicable but cruiser spam also gets you pretty far, if not better, alongside synchronized Kinetic Artillery/Tachyon Lance BBs.
Assuming this hasn't changed in Banks because from what I remember from the patch notes there weren't any significant changes to combat other than missiles which they've attempted to improve from being worse than garbage.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #278263

So I found what happens when you make a Covenant with the End of the Cycle and it decides to collect on your debt to it...
Spoiler:
When you first make a covenant on it, you will gain a +100% production bonus on everything: Unity, Influence, Science, Research speed etc.
In exchange, all of your planets are now Shroud-marked - Something bad is going to happen to these worlds at some point in the future.

But, after those 50 years are up, every single planet you own will become a shrouded planet and every pop on them will die, all your stations will be destroyed, your megastructures will become derelict, all your fleets will become ghost ships, you will lose 50,000 minerals, energy credits, influence and unity and all your territory will be lost.

But!

It is not the End just yet. Some of your species will manage to survive as they foresaw it all coming and flee to a planet named Exile and you will be given 1K resources to rebuild your empire. However, the End of the Cycle is not done with your galaxy. Your species' sacrifice will summon a powerful Psionic entity above your former Homeworld simply named "The Reckoning", a massive entity that is larger than the Sun, and it is the spawn of your species' psionic might - it is also the most powerful single entity in the game and it will roam the Galaxy, purging it all of life.

Unless you stop it.
It's effectively the Fourth End-game Crisis except it's not locked out if another Crisis happens.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #278270

>spawn of your species' psionic might
brb, making a no-psyker species

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #278283

literally Slaanesh
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #278319

You can eat my species.

It's a one eyed snake named Biggus Dickus.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #278335

Ha, that's why you go the mechanical ascension route! Filthy meatbags played with forces beyond their understanding.
Some things that synth ascension does:
- All leaders get bonus to what they do, due to a trait.
- Oh, and they are immortal now.
- No need for food.
- Pops can still grow, but you can also build them
- Spiritualist Fallen Empire goes apeshit. In fact, all spiritualists get -60
- Xenophile Fallen Empire is sad, since you cast off your *lovely* mortal form. -20
- Guardians of the AI and Militarists, surprisingly, don't care. Probably.

So far, I am playing an empire with re-election each 10 years, and the first guy to get elected (first after the starting one) is still the leader.
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #278674

>my disgusting supremacist space bug neighbours get cocky and declare war on me only 20 years into the game
>a few years later and they're begging me for peace
>Image

Also I found a star eating spider in the system right next to my home system. My empire worships stars as gods, so it's like finding out Satan lives next door.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #278683

question: how do you get a good millitary, literally every time all other militarys are better than me, even the peaceful traders trump me

and they're also better TECH WISE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #278688

I usually create two versions of every ship class, one with shorter range guns and one with longer range missiles/cannons. Last game I created a third version for battleships, and equipped those with railguns. I also invest a lot into buildings, space port upgrades, research and (since the 1.5 patch) traditions that boost my naval capacity and its power. Personally I prefer to play religious empires that excel at the assimilation and integration of conquered empires (spiritualism has a strong ethics attraction) rather than military power, so I need to invest extra to get my military up to speed, but in return my conquests give me less trouble.

Also keep your fleets in orbit around your planets when you don't need them, they consume considerably less power if you do. As long as you can support your fleets while they're idle, you can build up a power reserve, and then burn through that when you need to undock.

Finally, keep in mind that how many research points your research needs depends on the amount of pops in your empire. If you expand rapidly, your research is going to fall behind and you'll need to build more science labs and generate more research points to catch up.
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #278700

Armhulen wrote:question: how do you get a good millitary, literally every time all other militarys are better than me, even the peaceful traders trump me

and they're also better TECH WISE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Don't colonise everything in sight, focus on colonising the best planets. At the start of the game, I break up my fleet into three singular ships and have them scout out the area. A good planet, for me, is a size 20 and I'll flat out refuse anything below size 15. Expand early, get your manufacturing and economy up ASAP and do your best to deny nearby empires access to resources (so if you see a patch of stars with high mineral content, frontier outpost it).

Next, start building corvettes all the way to your naval cap (doesn't matter if you don't have corvette docks, just do it). You should always try to keep a standing fleet that's ~2/3 of your naval cap to dissuade aggressive empires.
It's fine to use the auto-upgrade ship designer for early game but if you want to have the advantage - start designing ships manually and spec them to specifically counter your neighbour's ships.

A tech advantage won't help them a lot if you can drown them in bodies and your guns hurt them more than theirs do yours.