Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Talk about video games here
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Anonmare » #278700

Bottom post of the previous page:

Armhulen wrote:question: how do you get a good millitary, literally every time all other militarys are better than me, even the peaceful traders trump me

and they're also better TECH WISE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Don't colonise everything in sight, focus on colonising the best planets. At the start of the game, I break up my fleet into three singular ships and have them scout out the area. A good planet, for me, is a size 20 and I'll flat out refuse anything below size 15. Expand early, get your manufacturing and economy up ASAP and do your best to deny nearby empires access to resources (so if you see a patch of stars with high mineral content, frontier outpost it).

Next, start building corvettes all the way to your naval cap (doesn't matter if you don't have corvette docks, just do it). You should always try to keep a standing fleet that's ~2/3 of your naval cap to dissuade aggressive empires.
It's fine to use the auto-upgrade ship designer for early game but if you want to have the advantage - start designing ships manually and spec them to specifically counter your neighbour's ships.

A tech advantage won't help them a lot if you can drown them in bodies and your guns hurt them more than theirs do yours.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #278701

Just abuse robots.

Get the ethic that let's you build robots from the start and then rush synthetics.

Get the synthetic evolution ascension perk and badabang you're a meme. Also whack ass divergence made my fanatic authoratarian materialistic empire into a fucking fanatic pacifist materialistic empire. The worst bit is I have the best fleet and the best technology but I literally can't do jack shit with it other than strong aiming other empires into a federation. And by strong arming I mean all my federation consists of people who are small and next to big neighbours and they need protection.

FUCK.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #278711

ColonicAcid wrote:Also whack ass divergence made my fanatic authoratarian materialistic empire into a fucking fanatic pacifist materialistic empire. The worst bit is I have the best fleet and the best technology but I literally can't do jack shit with it other than strong aiming other empires into a federation. And by strong arming I mean all my federation consists of people who are small and next to big neighbours and they need protection.

FUCK.

exactly why I love spiritualism so much
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #278722

yeah but you cant get robots so thats shit.

i would take ethic divergence over no robots any day of the week.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #278730

>Be robot empire
>No psionics
>Can't end the Galaxy by ripping it a new orifice for Demons to stick their metaphysical schlongs through.
ISHYGDDT
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #278735

I´ve got the DLC and so far, I've found there to be essentially no difference
Civ 5 tradition stuff is nice I suppose, but it doesn't seem to actually do shit worth 20bux
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #278773

I bought it just for hiveminds.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #278781

Anonmare wrote:>Be robot empire
>No psionics
>Can't end the Galaxy by ripping it a new orifice for Demons to stick their metaphysical schlongs through.
ISHYGDDT
Silly organics fucked reality again.
Spoiler:
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #278828

XSI wrote:I´ve got the DLC and so far, I've found there to be essentially no difference
Civ 5 tradition stuff is nice I suppose, but it doesn't seem to actually do shit worth 20bux
whalecum to paradox dlc.

you'll always look in retrospect at the fact that "wow i've wasted a shit ton of money on this" but if you try and play without all the stupid dlc shit you just can't
XSI

Post by XSI » #279079

This is why I don't buy EU4 DLC

Most of it is 20bux and yet it has maybe 5$ worth of content.
But hey, before these DLC thingies I'd have said Stellaris is just a content-free tech demo you can technically play if you want to. and have nothing else to do
Now it's roughly equivalent to early access alpha instead. Progress!
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #279092

Eh I am pretty happy with it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #279185

Always agree to end of the cycle.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #279192

Composer of Strands = Nurgle
Eater of Worlds = Khorne
Whispers in the Void = Tzeentch
Instrument of Desire = Slaanesh
End of the Cycle = ???

Maybe they're meant to be Malal
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #279258

Undivided maybe? Back when it was a bit more distinct, rather than just "confused or delusional".

Also, if you are psionic, you can kind of communicate with the Scourge. It seems they are running away from something.
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #279281

Jazaen wrote:they are running away from something.

what if it catches up
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
XSI

Post by XSI » #279290

Anonmare wrote:Composer of Strands = Nurgle
Eater of Worlds = Khorne
Whispers in the Void = Tzeentch
Instrument of Desire = Slaanesh
End of the Cycle = ???

Maybe they're meant to be Malal
Jazaen wrote:Undivided maybe? Back when it was a bit more distinct, rather than just "confused or delusional".

Also, if you are psionic, you can kind of communicate with the Scourge. It seems they are running away from something.
>Tyranids in WH40k are rumoured to just be running away from something worse
>Similar strategies

Stellaris really tries to turn into WH40k later on, shame it doesn't manage to bring the same grandness and instead it mostly just seems to be 'Just throw your fleet at it'
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #279419

I tried out the new missiles and had a bit of fun doing a panicked doctrine change to avoid 10 or so dets with pd in support wiping out my composition. Then I didn't realise that dodge was a thing again and got caught in an infinite battle with fucking troop ships forcing me to seek an early peace or emergency ftl my ships. Then the unbidden showed to be too lethal forcing me to adopt corvettes again as a screen for my battleships. Found cruisers to be the worst of all worlds along the way focused down before battleships and destroyers.

Most of the my fun last game stemmed from mistakes and recovery shame most of that was due to broken or near broken interactions and there is an optimal build out there to kill it all. With utopia there could at least be a megastructure plans within the first century but likely you will still be filtering through tech for the requirement like mad well into the second-third before you even start building anything around the point the game is generally won/stagnant with federations. Crisis events need more bug fixes still.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #279495

Well, they are either running away from The Unbidden (the whole "hunter" thing matches), or Paradox could make each crisis evolve (much like The Unbidden do, with The Aberrant and The Vehement), with Prethoryn followed by The Hunters, and AI rebellion doing... Something. Giving void clouds bodies of Living Metal, maybe? Or forcefully converting other empires into robots.
I play:
XSI

Post by XSI » #279609

>Forcefully converting other empires into robutts
Like people aren't going to go robutt ascension anyway

It's either that or psionic, I'm finding biological to be a huge disappointment and not worth it. Sure, you can make your species have amazing bonus traits, but at that stage of the game you won't need them and the whole thing is nothing more than a novelty
And I'm finding the megastructures to be very 'meh' as well, by the time you can make the things you can end the game already- My fleet is 50k in strength and my neighbours are at ~7k each. Now imagine if I didn't piss about and put those megastructure resources to work on more navies instead. Not that minerals is the limiting factor, for some reason these things cost a shitton of influence, which I also then need to colonise the resulting station/ring world after it has been build
Space stations can't make a spaceport so you can't even move entirely into space and leave the planets behind
Not that you will need to at that point, I've got a good 20 planets terraforming to gaia worlds and I'm just looking for things to do and spend my resources on that isn't throwing more military at my neighbours

Apparently there has been some work on internal factions and your population joins those now though.
Shame that it sucks and doesn't actually do anything, I've minimised the faction thing on the right side toolbar and never paid any more attention to it. Why does this even exist if it does nothing? Not that I'm asking for a similar experience as Victoria 2 Russia with fucking communists everywhere, but at least some form of interaction with factions in your own empire would be nice
Not to mention that it STILL misses what I'd say is important tools such as being able to see the build queue for your planets or a way to decide per planet/station what pops get to go there.

Or military that is anything other than "Just throw everything at the target and hope that works"
(If it doesn't work, rebuild and try step 1 again)
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #279634

The Sentry Array is the best megastructure.

It's one of the cheapest but once its fully complete - you get radar coverage of the whole galaxy. Great for seeing what someone else's ship designs are or where all the Unbidden/Prethoryan/Machine ships are centred around

I got a mod that let me have every crisis at once and found my fleet stretched between dealing with Unbidden and putting down rogue robots that took over my robot-pop focused planets. When I had finally turned the tide - the Prethoryan's showed up right at my front door step and my ships were all still specced for dealing with Unbidden.
It was a struggle to keep them off my important planets while I was re-building my navy and some of the opportunistic xenos I hadn't quarantined decided now was a good time to take some slices out of me while my back was turned.

I won though. I always win.
XSI

Post by XSI » #279671

Oh yeah, and they fucked up achievements
>Set game to ironman because I may as well
>Huge green text "This game will be eligible for achievements"
>Never get achievements despite achieving them

Small gripe because they're really simple to get achievements(Nothing in this game seems to be hard unless its multiplayer), but this still annoyed me
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #279682

Gee Willy another game where every other AI race is superior and destroys me in research
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #279686

Research becomes exponentially harder the more planets and pops you have, planets especially.
XSI

Post by XSI » #279726

I really dont see how you could ever end up falling behind on research
Make sure 1/4th or if you have nothing else going on 1/3rd of your pop does science and you'll pretty much always be in the lead for science, and also for credits and minerals
I'm not sure what the AI even does when left alone, every single planet I conquer is hot garbage and they never seem to be able to even make an effort for resistance
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #279748

XSI wrote:I really dont see how you could ever end up falling behind on research
Make sure 1/4th or if you have nothing else going on 1/3rd of your pop does science and you'll pretty much always be in the lead for science, and also for credits and minerals
I'm not sure what the AI even does when left alone, every single planet I conquer is hot garbage and they never seem to be able to even make an effort for resistance
More planets, military and research than me. What am I missing here!?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #279757

Unless they are into late game repeatable research don't worry about it what is researched is usually more important so just use a meta doctrine to hold the line then steal their technology from wrecks and upgrade.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #279759

Is sector AI still not removing tile blockers? Come the fuck on
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #279761

my sector ai removes them make sure it has minerals and energy

I do find it peters out then keeps working but sits on a bank of 20-30 thousand minerals but blockers are cleared by then.
XSI

Post by XSI » #279776

I dont trust sector AI for good reason

I gave the thing a bunch of space stations and loaded it up with 4000 minerals. What does it do? Lets pops sit idle on those stations instead of building the cheap buildings on it that would provide it a massive load of science and credits. Fucks sake, I have to build the entire station for them before giving it to the sector AI or it's just going to stay a drain on my empire for all eternity
Exact same shit with planets I'm pretty sure, which is why I build every tile of a planet before passing it to the sector AI. Then I tell it to NEVER replace any structures. The one good thing about this update is the ascension thing for +5 core systems, it means I can actually build my shit without having to trust the absolutely retarded AI with it
K-64
Byond Username: K-64

Post by K-64 » #279809

Armhulen wrote:More planets, military and research than me. What am I missing here!?
Research stations and buildings, apparently.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #279815

Another neighbour declared war on me, another neighbour got annexed.

What makes this even funnier is that he already had cruisers when I could still only build destroyers and his fleet power was greater than mine, yet the Holy Starfleet wiped the floor with him. 1/3rd of my fleet consisted of destroyers with M- and L-sized missile launchers.
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #279873

This was a good update and I can't stop playing. The perk tree is nice and helps empires who are a bit behind to catch up. It surprised me how much better empire food is. The internal politics and per-species rights makes interacting with your pops much more interesting.

It's around mid-game, I'm going fanatic spiritualist, my pops are all at 100% happiness (90% spiritualist), making a shitton of Unity and influence, started becoming psionic, and I'm very quickly becoming a dominating force despite only having 3 planets for the first 200 years. I'm glad you aren't forced to always be aggressively expanding or get left behind as much any more.

The arthropods in this game are super cute, too.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #279888

I'm tempted to get this just so I can make fake Chozo.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #279891

We should have another tg game, with blac... I mean, with psionics and Federation Builders!
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #279930

actually going to play games in the discord again?
Spoiler:
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #279931

Madness!

But yes, that would be great.
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #280004

if this is actually gonna end up happening, invite me back to the channel
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #280235

>third neighbour declares war on me

I have 14/12 core planets now and that's after turning six unfinished systems into a sector and deliberately researched additional techs that give me more core planets. I am racking up planets faster than I can develop them, without even colonizing anything. And this asshole grabbed every fucking planet he could get his grubby xeno hands on so half of them are too tiny to be interesting.
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #280239

yeah I left, the only game you guys ever played anymore was the one with the sub and it didn't run properly on my PC
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #280243

Biological ascendance is good, as hive mind it's the only one I can do but it's quite powerful. I can't use other species for colonization because they're automatically processed into food (until I unlock advanced genetic to add them to the hive mind), but I can still exploit Gaia planets for that.

>have desert trait
>colonize Gaia planet
>genetically modify the pops in there to have Tundra trait
>use them to colonize all those juicy glacial planets
>repeat for every other biome

Who needs terraforming?
XSI

Post by XSI » #280271

>Saturday
Well I'm out then, got Shadowrun. Shame, because the only way this game can be interesting in my opinion is in multiplayer. The AI is absolute garbage and not really worth playing against.

Also that is the only time biological ascendance is good, literally everyone else can just
1. Use robutts
2. Use an uplifted species
3. Friendly species
4. Terraform the thing
5. Do exactly the same without bio ascendance, still costing them almost nothing

A few of the traits you can add are nice, but entirely honest here. They're not really that big a deal and by the time you can put them on your guys you would already have been able to uplift some species as specialists if you can stand the micromanagement or you'll have advanced to the point where you stopped caring and just upgrade all the buildings on your planets to the highest level and 1 or 2 minerals per month don't matter
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #280291

The biome trait thing unlocks pretty early in the game, I didn't even have the tech to terraform that planet type yet, modifying the pops on the gaia gave me a pretty decent boost into a snowball of colonization.

I must say I'm not really into micromanaging tiles, and I can't be bothered to play the placement game with silos and stuff for the adiacency boost.

Also, there seems to be a bug where you can't modify a species unless you control all the planets with that species. Which means you can't hivemind conquered pops unless you conquer their whole empire(s)
XSI

Post by XSI » #280297

Silos are terrible, literally worse than just placing a mine on the tile except in incredibly early game where you can in theory get +4 out of it(But realistically you won't)

Shat out a quick review for it as well. I am not impressed with it, but I guess it's content that the game was lacking. And still is lacking.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/553280/
http://tocopinion.blogspot.nl/2017/04/s ... eview.html
Spoiler:
Small review because I may as well share my experiences on it
Instead of writing a whole analysis, I'll just go through the feature list and comment on it. I know this will be unpopular among the hype, but I'm still going to say it-
It's not that good

"Megastructures"
It's a shame they come too late to be of any real use in single player, by the time you get to unlock these through researching several rare technologies(So it's possible you won't ever get to anyway even if you made it your goal for the game) you'll be able to steamroll the galaxy with minimal effort.
They're shiny, but aside from the sensor array they don't actually do anything that you could actually reliably want at that stage of the game without being able to already get it elsewhere.

"Habitat Stations"
Actually works somewhat decently, though with how more planets increases the cost of research and the unity needed for the civ 5 tradition copy. You may want to make a few because they're roughly equal to a decently managed planet per tile, but since they are small and have some very strong drawbacks they will never be amazing. You will not 'go tall' with these as the feature blurb says, If you're in a confined empire you won't have the resources for them. And if you're not confined, you're going to still want them anyway because they're decent to have. They're just something everyone is going to end up getting. Costs one of the ascension perks, but it's not like those perk slots have any serious competition going for them.

"Ascension Perks"
This is the main thing for this DLC and it's actually pretty good. The sad thing is that there is a clear "Good" and "Awful" collection of perks for this that makes it clear that you will likely pick the exact same thing every game with the exception of the actual ascension path. You're going to just get the same things because the alternatives are just not useful.

"Indoctrination"
Curious to see this listed as a feature, since it's just a single button for something that is a very minor part of the game. You can take a planet with people who don't have space tech and indoctrinate them into your ethics.
I'm having trouble figuring out any point at which this may matter, so I'll just move on.

"Advanced Slavery"
In this paid DLC, we get tools for things that really should be in the base game. I'd like to ask Paradox for other useful DLC next, perhaps a management window for a planet's build-queue, a functional military that isn't just throwing everything at the enemy stack, different FTL methods that aren't just limiting yourself for the sake of it, or making it so slavery is actually useful for something other than encouraging rebellion on your own planets.

"Advanced Governments"
Support for the things people were doing already, now with small bonuses and made official. Most of it is of questionable use, but there is no denying that hive minds are pretty nice to have and a few of the things are nice and flavourful.

In the end, is it worth 20€?
I highly doubt it. You're going to have to get it eventually because it's essentially content missing from the base game and some small flavour things. But when you do, make sure it's on sale
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #280411

Some of the Ascension Perks are generally pretty useless.

Galactic Contender and Galactic Defender are too specialised and only have one use; once the Fallen/Awakened Empries/Crisis Events are gone it's a wasted slot.
Shaper of Worlds is okay, it's better with mods that let you terraform barren planets.
Galactic Force Projection looks nice at first, but then you realise that it's only 200 corvettes/100 destroyers/50 cruisers/25 battleships and would only be worth your time if it was a percentile bonus instead of a flat bonus.
Mastery of Nature is decent but it's not worth your time unless you are really unlucky with tile blockers.
Imperial Prerogative is nice and makes sure you don't have to rely on the sector AI for a while and extra core systems is never not useful if you're smart with colonising
The perk that increases your border range is alright but I'd say you're better off with getting it through repeatable tech unless you're really compressed by your neighbours.
Galactic Wonders is cool but I think the Science Nexus needs a much bigger boost to its research output because it doesn't compare to having a large planet with loads of labs on it - The Sentry Array and Dyson Sphere are fine I think, a fully completed sphere produces 400 EC a month which could fund your empire's maintenance costs by itself I think.
Circle of Life I think should be rolled into Galactic Wonders because to be honest it's really not that great by itself mechanically.
Voidborne habitats are decent but truthfully I only ever used them for their solar power processors. 10 ECs per tile is really good.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #280431

I finally got this and 10 minutes into my human game human pirates somehow became a thing, got a space ship force, and took out half my starting fleet.

How the fuck do I have fun in this early on? It's just click here to scan system, remember to click research, and wait.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
XSI

Post by XSI » #280467

Anonmare wrote: Galactic Wonders is cool but I think the Science Nexus needs a much bigger boost to its research output because it doesn't compare to having a large planet with loads of labs on it - The Sentry Array and Dyson Sphere are fine I think, a fully completed sphere produces 400 EC a month which could fund your empire's maintenance costs by itself I think.
Circle of Life I think should be rolled into Galactic Wonders because to be honest it's really not that great by itself mechanically.
Voidborne habitats are decent but truthfully I only ever used them for their solar power processors. 10 ECs per tile is really good.
Science nexus is okay but really not worth the investment if you have other uses for the minerals. It doesn't compare to having a planet full of labs, but it also doesn't make research take longer like owning an extra planet(Or habitat) does. Only thing you're going to research with it is repeatable techs because of how late it comes, and you really shouldn't have any problems with research at that stage

Dyson Spheres are actually alright, but only because you start getting credits from them partway through the construction. If it didn't start paying until the end of construction it would never be viable in anything other than the longest stalemate of a multiplayer game and even then it would still be pretty bad

Sentry array is the reason to pick that perk, being able to see everything in the galaxy is nice and has pretty good stategical and tactical aplications

Ringworlds are jokes, and will never bring you anything resembling a return on your investment. Not in resources and not in time
But it is a thing you can technically build in otherwise completely empty and useless systems to put something there, and they're a better choice than 2-3 habitats, though they take much longer to build.

Only reason to build those habitats is the solar processors. Everything else does better on a planet. Research maybe does about as well as a fully upgraded planet so I suppose that is worthwhile. Food and minerals are a joke and you shouldn't put those on there ever. Especially minerals, that's like building a level 1 mine that cant be upgraded when you could be putting down a top level power plant
On the rest of those, yeah. Thats about right.
You're going to just end up picking the same things and then deciding whether to go robotic or psionic
DrPillzRedux wrote:I finally got this and 10 minutes into my human game human pirates somehow became a thing, got a space ship force, and took out half my starting fleet.

How the fuck do I have fun in this early on? It's just click here to scan system, remember to click research, and wait.
The game practically forces you to pick a militarist ethos so that you can actually research weaponry early on, because you will get pirates and you will need to go kill them.
And it's a huge pain to fight them without having some tech to equip your ships. Too big of a pain if you're still early on and have to really optimise your mineral use to get ahead
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #280479

What ringworlds enable is the things habitats are terrible at. They are simply are dogshit on minerals and fleet capacity.

I put the problem with megas down to the retarded rare technology needed to take the perk they would have a far bigger influence if they came into play as quickly as full ascension paths. This far out of reach I feel they should uncork how many you can make at a time.
XSI

Post by XSI » #280489

Yeah, but see
You will need several thousand years to get your mineral investment into the ringworlds back out of them if you try to get minerals from them.
They're not even good for that, it's never going to be economically viable for producing anything other than dick waving rights
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #280496

XSI wrote:Yeah, but see
You will need several thousand years to get your mineral investment into the ringworlds back out of them if you try to get minerals from them.
They're not even good for that, it's never going to be economically viable for producing anything other than dick waving rights
Which, to be fair, is pitty nice
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #280522

I started my game completely with pre-made empires I built up since the game's launch. I actually had more than what the game could put in with the maximum number of AIs so not all of them got in.

It's much more fun to play with than the randomly generated ones. With a thematic build and personality, they feel a lot closer to actual characters instead of a hodgepodge of random traits.

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #280542

Uh all the games I've played I've never had pirate troubles. They're super easy to beat considering they don't even have a commander. Just build a couple of frigates early on instead of spending money on tile blockers or mining stations or whatever. They're usually in the mid 100's in terms of military strength so a fleet of 200 should easily dispatch them.

I've never lost my fleet to pirates in all my playthroughs and I've pretty much played every single ethos by now.