Talk about video games here
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by ThanatosRa » #251508

Bottom post of the previous page:

>stuck between two fallen empires
>build a bunch of habitat stations in attempt to build up enough to population and research to break out
would it work I wonder
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #251654

Wonder if it will make pacifist tall builders work hrrrm.

Since changing core ethos with factions is going to be a thing I guess pacifism can just be a thing you do for a turtling phase then break out.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #251704

I abandoned stellaris and I'm back playing CK2. Funny enough, I first learned about it years ago when XSI made an AAR on the old forums. Btw, I wish there was an easter egg event chain hinting at an alien observation post in orbit interfering with your "late middle age" civilization
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #251881

I'm honestly thinking about doing a hard sci-fi playthrough.

I'm thinking about doing a playthrough with a large galaxy, no AI empires and with the following mods:-
-The Belt
-Pre-FTL species
-Brute Force Colonization
-ISBS Living Systems

I'll probably have to look deeper for other mods, like one to make factions more threatening. Not sure whether to get rid of FEs and Primitives entirely or not though.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #252340

I'm trying to replicate Transhuman Space in Stellaris, which didn't have any aliens I can recall
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #252786

I am so pumped about the expansion.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #252807

For a religious empire that worships stars, would a Dyson sphere be the ultimate expression of divine love and faith, or the biggest, baddest form of heresy imaginable?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #252814

The new fancy stuff sounds nice, but I will keep this in my backlog until they fix missiles.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #252913

Ricotez wrote:For a religious empire that worships stars, would a Dyson sphere be the ultimate expression of divine love and faith, or the biggest, baddest form of heresy imaginable?
I think that might depend on your policies and your R O L E P L A Y

I've roleplayed as a religious empire going on a Great Crusade to convert everyone to the Faith before. It's fun to set yourself some goals like that.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #252917

I do the same. My religious space bats believe that their home star is the physical incarnation of their deity, but I'm trying to figure out if they'd make a Dyson sphere their ultimate goal (freezing over their home planet as a sign of faith or something), or if they'd instantly declare war on anyone who dares to snuff out the light of a star.

Probably the latter though, I don't know many religions that believe trapping your god is a good idea.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #252939

Perhaps they believe others are unworthy of the light of their star.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #252953

Ricotez wrote:I do the same. My religious space bats believe that their home star is the physical incarnation of their deity, but I'm trying to figure out if they'd make a Dyson sphere their ultimate goal (freezing over their home planet as a sign of faith or something), or if they'd instantly declare war on anyone who dares to snuff out the light of a star.

Probably the latter though, I don't know many religions that believe trapping your god is a good idea.
I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Our Lord, to seek my very own sun! Oh if only I could be so grossly incandescent...
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #253111

ill admit that Solaire was a major inspiration

may the entire universe bathe in the gross incandescence of the Holy Star, Elk
Spoiler:
starmute

Post by starmute » #253159

leibniz wrote:The new fancy stuff sounds nice, but I will keep this in my backlog until they fix missiles.
How are missiles broken?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #253185

starmute wrote:
leibniz wrote:The new fancy stuff sounds nice, but I will keep this in my backlog until they fix missiles.
How are missiles broken?
>your fleet targets one ship
>huge travel time
>target explodes from the first missile
>rest of the missiles dont retarget
>meanwhile the other fleet was firing with stuff that has no travel time and they retarget normally when they kill something
bonus: specific line of modules for countering all missiles
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
starmute

Post by starmute » #253430

leibniz wrote:
starmute wrote:
How are missiles broken?
>your fleet targets one ship
>huge travel time
>target explodes from the first missile
>rest of the missiles dont retarget
>meanwhile the other fleet was firing with stuff that has no travel time and they retarget normally when they kill something
bonus: specific line of modules for countering all missiles
Oddly enough I don't have that problem. Typically my missiles target different ships. However I tend to go with torpedoes or energy torpedoes as the main weapon since they completely ignore/destroy shields and carrier fleets. If any of the small missiles connect then that's fine too. Missile weapons generally have 100% accuracy and very good tracking, unlike other modules. Lasers have trouble with shields and mass drivers seem to lack accuracy. They might do well at the start of the game but I personally believe that kinetics dwindle by the end in comparison to the other two.

Thats how I see things at least.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #253470

Might be graphics settings. PD is always the problem needs some serious tweaking, the pd slots change was plainly not enough. Also makes hangar modules useless.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #253691

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... ud.998827/

So it seems I was correct, the Shroud is an expy of the Warp. The Shroud is only accessible to species who have become fully-fledged psionics (Spent two ascension perks on the Psionics path) and can commune with entities beyond the Shroud for a boon. Some of these entities are benevolent, malevolent and some are just plain indifferent, you can also form covenants with them for some more powerful benefits, but, they may not have your best interests at heart. Beware Shroud-marked worlds...
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #253695

I am getting a strong Legacy of the Void vibe from this.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #253714

Eh heh. Become Psionic, Kill the Galaxy?
Admittedly, it would be interesting if you could go Technological Transhuman(or whatever race fuck you) and upload your citizens into synthetic bodies. Become the AI rebellion.
(haven't played in a few months)

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #253717

Well, supposedly something REALLY BAD happens when you do this. And I think this expansion adds two more civilizations to the group occupied by the Prethoryn Scourge, Unbidden and AI Consciousness.

Anyway, if you do this in MP, you should, for starters, expect everyone around you to pile up on you.
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #253722

Sooo, I guess this lets you become the big bad of the setting then? I imagine it pisses off every other civilization.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #253733

Ah, I smell Reapers.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #254067

Can't wait to eat my enemies.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #254342

Also, this update + DLC add, among others:
- Empire-wide food (possible, not announced but seen on one of Wiz' screens)
- Standard Construction Templates (Not Standard Template Constructs), one of Ascension perks that gives some bonuses and whatnot.
- Fourth planetary bombardment option (labelled: Anihilation. Exterminatus/Base-Delta-Zero/Whatever incoming! Also, it has icon which looks suspiciously like a fleet over a world with plates floating on lava)
- Better rights management for various races (you can keep them in drug-enforced happiness faze, for example)
- Megastructures
- Becoming an end-game event (shroud thingy).
- Three main ascension paths: Psionic, Technology, Biologic. (Possibly tying into becoming respectively something like Unbidden, AI Rebellion, Zer... I mean, Tyra... I mean, PRETHORYN)
- Habitats
- EMPRAH (Read: "Chosen One Leader trait, which gives immortality, monthly influence, unity and ethics attraction", whatever that is)
Spoiler:
THEY EVEN HAVE TWO-HEADED EAGLE AS THEIR SYMBOL Image
- Refugees, running away from purges
- Better terraforming, through both ascension perks and being able to make some uninhabitable planets inhabitable.
- Shedding your puny flesh. It worked for Necrontyr, right?
- Manifesting avatars through the shroud into materium, to keep the Worm-in-waiting company.

Edit: oh, and two most important features:
1. Using XENO SCUM as lifestock and
2. Science and construction ships will no longer cancel their whole queue upon escaping from hostiles.
I play:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #254639

Global food was shown off extensively in the stream they did on Thursday.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #254648

Then I am behind on my streams. Oh well.
ALSO:
- EDIT: Shit, that was a mod. Sad times.
- Factions
I play:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #255057

I've [played quite a few games and I never seem to get a lot of leviathans, I've never even seen the Enigmatic Fortress. Which sucks because I really want the Enigmatic tech research
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #255062

Doth thy have the Leviathans DLC installed? Also, scan the galaxy intensely, they are bound to come up sooner or later.

Also, best one is the orb - you don't need to fight it, and if it's in your borders, you have a good chance of getting... Well, spoilers :P
I play:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255169

>doth thy
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #255596

Jazaen wrote:Doth thy have the Leviathans DLC installed? Also, scan the galaxy intensely, they are bound to come up sooner or later.

Also, best one is the orb - you don't need to fight it, and if it's in your borders, you have a good chance of getting... Well, spoilers :P
Yeah I've done the Infinity Machine a few times, I always seem to get the Drake in every playthrough. Though my current playthrough has the Infinity Machine, Enigmatic Fortress and the Drake (because I always get the drake). I also got Relics of a Fallen Empire mod and I'm staring at this Ringworld around a blackhole called the Eternity Gate which has a fleet stack power of 204k guarding it and a Guardian, likely a dreadnought but I can't say, curators know jack shit about it obviously.

Also I just realised that pic related's species is actually a species of parasites controlling a host:
Spoiler:
[Internally screaming]
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #255610

I got the giant pirate ship currently. Right next door too.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #255613

So is this thing actually finished these days or is it still mostly sitting on your ass and maybe throwing a bunch of ships at an AI nearby, while your own empire is horribly mismanaged by sector AI?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #255643

It's a better game now than it used to be but I still don't fully trust sector AIs.
Spoiler:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #255679

Sector AI being crap is not a big deal, really

But does it actually have content aside from early exploring, colonising, and then doing nothing whatsoever?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #255742

Nah.

Utopia might change that though.
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #255769

That's what I thought the last 4 major updates

I'm probably still going to get Utopia tho
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #255928

Utopia is the first real non-storyarc non-aesthetic DLC, really.
Also, not sure if they will do much improvements to sector AI, but so far they've confirmed they are adding "what sector AI will do" window to sector management.
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #258757

where are these leaks coming from? did some people get dev builds of Banks?
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #258973

they're intentional teasers from one of the devs
starmute

Post by starmute » #259477

If this expansion doesn't come out soon somebody's going to get cut.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #259645

another dev stream in 3 hours, they might reveal a release date this time

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #259740

I legit look forward to spending a whole day reconfiguring my custom races with the new customisation options.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259742

Is this a good time to try playing the game again or should i way for this next DLC or whatever?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #259750

I personally am more interested in the internal politics of this game rather than war so this next update seems to be the biggest to date.

I'd wait until Banks is out, though, just so you don't have to work around the patch coming in mid-playthrough and fucking up your save.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #259795

Yeah, this one allows you to both play tall, and adds a bunch of internal stuff to worry about.
Also, Hive Minds seem interesting, if somewhat aggressive by design, since you can't invite other pops over and your own pops die when stranded/migrating.
Plus no influence/unity bonus if factions are happy.
I play:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #259811

Wyzack wrote:Is this a good time to try playing the game again or should i way for this next DLC or whatever?
Next update overhauls the ethics and government systems so your savegame will probably become incompatible once it comes out (though you can always go back to earlier versions to access older savegames).
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #259812

I dont mind starting over for new content but i dont want to burn out my enjoyment of the game with new stuff around the corner, i'll probably wait it out. Thanks for the advice.

I feel like i never get the most out of these games. I just like to kinda build my civilization and expand and go to war at my own pace, so i never really play any multiplayer unless i can find people who just kind of want to play a chill noncompetitive run
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #259819

we played a few multiplayer games and they were pretty fun, but I wouldn't really say you're missing anything
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #259899

Fun note on multiplayer their dlc policy is only host needs to have non cosmetic expansions in a multiplayer game.

So if whoever hosted had both utopia and leviathans the entire old gang could get the full experience.

Doesn't apply to cosmetics but unlike earlier tittles you can see my cosmetic dlc plants ahoy.