Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by TheWiznard » #111897

this looks really good

time to go into hibernation until this releases
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #111916

Though I'm ass at 4X games, this does look pretty sweet.

I had a bit of an 'oh shit' moment when the ship came upon that station at the end.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Mister_Doc
Byond Username: Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #111923

Two of my favorite things, Paradox GSG and Space 4x games. I'm looking forward to seeing more details in the dev diaries, and seriously hope that they can live up to the hype. I also hope they do the same thing they did with Cities:Skylines and release a bunch of preview copies to some of the youtubers that play a bunch of PDS games.
Matthew Rockatansky: Shitsec extraordinaire
Vladek Sapowski: Trust me, I'm an engineer
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #111924

If this combines 4X space exploration with the politics, diplomacy, and intrigue of Crusader Kings my dick is going to explode into shrapnel.

I want to be navigating a tech tree, exploring the galaxy, quelling rebellions, and sending spies, assassins, and saboteurs into foreign empires while publicly being besties and secretly researching some kind of doomsday planet cracking bomb.

What do you mean that shipment of high-tech super textiles I sent you was infected with some kind of engineered plague that is custom-tailored to ravage members of your race and nobody else? You probably just ate some bad food calm down.

Look I know we said we were going to send our latest Pop-Idol sensation over to your capital to play a concert and somewhere along the way some tickets got crossed and you got sent a matter/anti-matter reaction bomb instead. We're looking into it these things happen. Stop being such a fucking baby about it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #111974

It's gonna be Aurora but with graphics and a UI you can understand
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #111982

TheWiznard wrote:It's gonna be Aurora but with graphics and a UI you can understand
That sounds amazing all by itself.

Aurora is really neat but the UI is a fucking mess and it's hard to get a compelling narrative out of the game when you're really just watching a bunch of metrics change back and forth.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #111984

Yeah I thought Dwarf Fortress had the worst interface ever until I tried Aurora. I really hope that the events and randomization make for good emergent gameplay/storytelling as well as making sure that different runs aren't too samey. I'm also curious as to how in-depth we'll be able to customize the player race.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #111989

Fingers crossed it's like the character customization from CK2. A set of attributes that govern how well you can handle certain tasks, as well as a slew of special traits that modify your base attributes while also providing their own special effects.

Endless Space had a lot of great things, but it became kind of muddled when you had to hunt around in the list of traits to find things that affected attributes the way you wanted. It would be nice to be able to just increase a race's "tech" score directly rather than have to track down three or four separate traits that all contributed to it.

Endless Space did have a lot of flexibility though in that you were free to decide on your own drawbacks for things (which could become kind of powergame-y if you really knew what you were doing). Being really good at tech didn't force you to be "nerdy" and weak at combat.

CK2 has some elements of that, where traits that increase one attribute often decrease another specific attribute. You can't be good at A without being bad at B. In Endless Space you could be good at A, and choose to have your drawback be in B, C, or D. I hope they go more that route to give us a lot more variety in what we can create.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #112003

I could get into this if we all got together for multiplayer.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #112013

I like the idea that the game starts off like a traditional 4x game of expansion and exploration but slowly turns into something more akin to EU4 or something.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #112112

Steelpoint wrote:I like the idea that the game starts off like a traditional 4x game of expansion and exploration but slowly turns into something more akin to EU4 or something.
That's prettymuch how Endless Space/Legend go, which I'm always trying to corral more people into playing together.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #112114

I couldn't ever get past the lukewarm combat in ES but Endless Legends is pretty fun. I would not be opposed to playing those or some Paradox games with other people.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #112116

I need to play more Endless Legend. I haven't gotten my dollars/hour out of it yet.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #112120

I have Endless Legend but I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I know I'm too dumb to understand it.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #112183

It's not hard to play by learning. It has a built-in tutorial that will teach you all the basics.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #112491

The title of this thread alone made me nearly tip my desk over hands-free.

I'm so in.
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #144305

[youtube]uRp7T5irXTQ[/youtube]

It looks good. Hopefully releasing in 2016.

I hope they wont have any cool preorder bonuses, I dont want to be tempted.

It'd be nice if machines were a possible "race", from what I've seen "machine rebellion" is a possible event that can expand to a universal scale and get machines in every empire to rebell, but just playing as them would be cool too. Maybe with modding.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144311

TheWiznard wrote:this looks really good

time to go into hibernation until this releases
You could play Distant Worlds for now.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #144319

Or Aurora 4x...
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #144327

Steelpoint wrote:Or Aurora 4x...
no thanks I'm not in the mood for menu simulator

also
TheWiznard wrote:It's gonna be Aurora but with graphics and a UI you can understand
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #144330

I'm personally a much much bigger fan of historic themed games, and with both paradox and creative assembly doing future themed games, I sort of feel left out.

There is HoI4 though, which will probably keep me entertained. :D
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #144502

Quill18 is let's playing Aurora, so I'm playing it through him, that saves on actually having to make the effort.

This looks amazing though, even though I have to get through the game Anon3 got me first.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #144505

I found it amusing in that just a day before Quill'ls Aurora video went up I was starting to get back into playing the game, so that's been a nice surprise.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #144509

I love paradox games and this seems promising, but I really hope this isn't going to be the final UI, it looks straight out of 2003
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #144554

One of the dev diaries mentiones primitive civilizations you can encounter that cant into space yet.

You can do stuff like Passive Observation, Aggressive Observation and Technological Enlightenment, but this is my favorite:
"Covert Infiltration
This is an interesting one. Essentially, agents that have been surgically altered to resemble individuals from a primitive species are sent to infiltrate their society. Political and military leaders are gradually replaced, until a point is reached where the primitives can be made to willingly accept an offer of annexation. This spares the need of a messy ground invasion, but more importantly, the primitives will be more positively inclined towards their new overlords, since they are living under the illusion that they accepted their rule willingly."

It sounds fun on paper but I hope it'll be cool in gameplay too. (if it doesnt get axed)
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144557

Picked up SPACECOM during the sale to play for now and fill my void of sci-fi fleet battle simulator.

I have Starsector and it's okay but it's a little too action-y.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #144635

Oh yeah I remember having Starsector, I bought it forever ago when it had a different name.

I should see how its going.
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #144807

Between this game, HoI4, EU4/CK2/Cities Skylines dlc, and the new Mount and Blade Paradox can have all my disposable income this year
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #144809

Distant Worlds: Universe is basically Aurora 4x with less depth. Go play that if you dont like the style of Aurora.
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #144810

I've played it before and liked it, might have to pick it up
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144853

Im really skeptical of paradox games because of their reputation of making a barebones game and then having all the content come out at a later date, however I'm a big fan of distant worlds so I'm hopeful that this will have the better elements of distant worlds with some of that good ole paradox politics system. Distant worlds will probably be the better game still because come on customizing every one of your ships in a 4x game is cool af.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144858

cancer_engine wrote:Im really skeptical of paradox games because of their reputation of making a barebones game and then having all the content come out at a later date
:roll:
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144862

An0n3 wrote: :roll:
what does this even mean?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #144874

cancer_engine wrote:
An0n3 wrote: :roll:
what does this even mean?
:roll:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #144877

Right?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144947

An0n3 wrote::roll:
Except it's the truth, if you look at EU4 or Vicky, the base game is pretty bland when compared to what expansions added. Victoria is barely playable on its own.

Also I doubt Stelaris will be as deep as Aurora, or even Distant Worlds.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #144985

Don't forget what happened with SOTS2. I mean Jesus Christ. The free expansion that added the LOA pretty much fixed it, but by then it was far too late. I regret ever paying for it.(I might still dl it again just to fiddle with it on my new rig)
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #145161

CK2 was pretty barebone at launch (you couldn't even play muslims), but EU4 had everything it needed to be complete and enjoyable, and with the all the patches it's basically a different game now.
Victoria sadly is still broken and they're never going to fix it.
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #145223

They are actually making patch for Vicky 2 in their spare time. I understand the dlc intimidation, I've had CK2 and EU4 from launch and picked up the new content as it released. I wouldn't mind if Paradox implemented a Premiun system kinda like Battlefield
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145226

ThanatosRa wrote:Don't forget what happened with SOTS2. I mean Jesus Christ. The free expansion that added the LOA pretty much fixed it, but by then it was far too late. I regret ever paying for it.(I might still dl it again just to fiddle with it on my new rig)
sword of the stars was not developed by paradox though?

it was published by paradox
crack is whack but smacks got your back
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #145244

PART OF THE BLAME LIES WITH THEM THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN WATCHING.

I'm going to step back and say nothing further on that, lest i go into a J_Madison or John Oxford style TL;DR Rant and debase myself with their level of bile and depravity. Such an act would shame myself and you.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #145312

Grazyn wrote:CK2 was pretty barebone at launch (you couldn't even play muslims), but EU4 had everything it needed to be complete and enjoyable, and with the all the patches it's basically a different game now.
Victoria sadly is still broken and they're never going to fix it.
Paradox's breakout success was CK2. The older games, such as Vicky2, HoI3, Sengoku, Rome and others, will not receive much attention until the next iteration. With EU4, however, it's become quite clear that they are investing a lot more into their games now than they could before CK2's success.

It is however also worth mentioning that grand strategy games are a fairly niche market, even with the comparative success of CK2 and EU4, so it's not surprising that the games cost more across their life span than an average call of duty. But while I find it very hard to believe that EA would not profit on The Sims 3 if they didn't sell the complete thing for 549 bux, I find it quite plausible that CK2 and EU4 could not be profitable enough if the complete thing didn't cost 218 bux.

I don't own all the CK2 and EU4 DLC, but I own much of it, and I genuinely don't feel like I overpaid for it, even though I paid more than the usual 60 bux for each game and DLC.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Mister_Doc

Post by Mister_Doc » #145466

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all that
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145498

>people can't tell the difference between devs and publishers
>complaining that CK2 didn't have enough gameplay at launch
>complaining EU4 didn't have enough gameplay at launch

Can't tell if trolling or just toxically entitled.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #145513

An0n3 wrote:>people can't tell the difference between devs and publishers
I fucked up, fuck off leave me alone!

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145517

SUFFER LIKE G DID
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #145521

An0n3 wrote:SUFFER LIKE G DID
GO KUARL
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145522

nooo HELP me
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #145526

Blaming paradox for the bed wetting of kerberos.

I mean look up how fucking smug and in denial they were while SOTS2 came tumbling down. Probably a textbook case on how the I DO IT FOR FREE we hear round here is bullshit since a group of paid coders can turn just as feral.