Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Talk about video games here
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by DemonFiren » #454231

Bottom post of the previous page:

Anonmare wrote:I'll project my ion cannon into your fleet you scaley freakazoids
Lewd rabbit is lewd.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #454318

Damn, how did I forget to make Lizards a servile race within a Nanotrasen Megacorp?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #454386

Lizards are chattel

Catgirls are domestic servants.

Moths are battle thralls.

The Glorious Plasmamen are full citizens.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #454428

Lizards are more battle thralls than mothies, imo. Fly people are undesirable and AI laws (by /tg/standards) are non-exsistant.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #454709

Moths are superior combatants on low gravity worlds. Flying about is a greater game changer than having some claws and pointy teeth.

Planets not low gravity? Don't worry, we'll extract enough mass and send it spaceward that it will be.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #454711

And I imagine you'll want to turn out the power on the enemy's searchlights, too.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #456037

I'm eyeing getting the expansions during sale, which is now. Rate all of them on the scale of 1-5, because I really have only the base game. It never really grabbed me like I thought it would, but I know Pdox games get so much better with dlcs.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #456065

Just play aurora instead
It’s better and free
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #456068

I've played superior games like Aurora and Distant Worlds to death already.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #456098

Then play uhhhhhhh
CDDA
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #456109

imo

Leviathans seems to be one everyone recommends
Utopia for the perks and government options
Distant Stars for more events
The upcoming Megacorp looks amazing but we won't know for sure until we get our hands on it

the rest you can pick up whatever interests you
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Down ... Expansions
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #456696

IMO, Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans, Apocalypse, Distant stars in that order if you don't want them all or can't afford them all. Lots and lots of mods require you to have Utopia or Synthetic dawn for the real fun stuff.

Synthetic Dawn - Robots and Hive minds. And their related events. Beep boop scum.

Utopia - Megastructures, Traditions and Ascension perks. Changes the mid-late game enough in good ways to make this worth a few bucks.

Leviathans - Guardians are kind of cool, Enclaves add neutral party traders to give you minor boosts. War In Heaven is fun if you can get 2 Fallen Empires to Awaken and duke shit out.

Apocalypse - Titan class ships are fun for the end game (though I felt NSC did better with Dreadnaughts) and discount death stars are kind of cool. Marauders (Pirate Faction) are interesting but can be annoying when they keep harassing you without progressing down their event chain.

Distant Stars - Decent for the anomalies and events, though over all it's easily the weakest expansion in terms of content and bringing new stuff to the table.

I just wish Distant worlds had an active modding community like Stellaris did.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #456733

Titans, megastructures, and colossus are way too costly and take too much time for what they give you. Such letdowns of features.

The only worthwhile use I can see for colossus is not for the ship itself, but for the Total War casus belli it grants you (Don't need to make claims, instantly seize control over any systems and planets you capture without needing a peace deal).
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #456740

Megastructures are for building tall. You can be well into repeatable techs and have a deathball of battleships filled with Tachyon lances while all other nations are still filling out their tech tree if you rush Mega-Engineering and get your science Nexus. The Prethoryn becomes a turkey shoot. If you're going wide, it doesn't really make that much sense, since your research penalty scales with the amount of planets you own. Just keep your owned planets to like, under 5, and bang out all your researches with the Nexus, then build a huge navy and amass habitats for production in your owned systems. From there, swap to Militarism and cleanse the galaxy of other xenos.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #457109

>Building tall

Ah right. I might actually build one when I megacorp next month
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #457116

So I bought all the dlcs. Money ain't issue, the problem is me not finishing a single game again.
Anyway, I see that they changed how the borders are spread, and you need to build outposts now? So the mid game is not only - build mines everywhere, it's also build outposts everywhere.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #457178

Yeah, but we should be getting a reprieve from all the cookie clicker gameplay with the economy update coming out in two weeks.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #457180

Lumbermancer wrote:So I bought all the dlcs. Money ain't issue, the problem is me not finishing a single game again.
Anyway, I see that they changed how the borders are spread, and you need to build outposts now? So the mid game is not only - build mines everywhere, it's also build outposts everywhere.
At least you don't have to rebuild outposts if they get attacked by other empires.

Also, mines? Do you mean mining stations? Cause, you can just hold down shift and click star systems whilst you have a construction ship's build button highlighted to tell it to build mines/research outpost in all valid spots in that system
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #457364

Lumbermancer wrote:So I bought all the dlcs. Money ain't issue, the problem is me not finishing a single game again.
Not entirely sure if megacorp is changing how systems work, but for a while now you've claimed a system by building an outpost in it. Spend a small chunk of influence and some resources to get em. Strongly recommend the autobuild mod if you don't already have it. Otherwise just keep remembering to send a constructor to a system that's been surveyed. Remember to put outposts in wormhole systems and L-gates since hostile fleets can jump through them, don't worry about gateways though as you can only take a gateway to a friendly system.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #457742

It's click on constructor, right click on system then click on build all mines or labs. But I wasn't complaining about UI design, but rather that nothing else is happening.
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #457749

Manually having to tell your science and construction ships to do their job is pretty annoying, specially since they took away free floating defense platforms and such. Autobuild is just a nice alternative, once you tune the mod to your preferences and let your ships run wild. I just keep 1 constructor per science ship + 2-4 spares for specific projects like building waygates or megastructures.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #457810

They released the patch notes for the 2.2 update. Lots of good stuff.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... s.1132161/

One more week left! (And two for the inevitable hotfix patch)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #457947

For some reason I thought the titular corporations would be like the civilian market in DW, and not just different government type.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #458015

You might be confusing them with the galactic market which due to their design they will be rolling in energy most of the game to get the most use out of it.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #458030

Just played a pacifist-egalitarian-xenophile game.
Having the highly adaptive trait is fun because more climate-types in your empire means more xenos to make up for your slow breeding time
Eventually moved from pacifist to spiritualist because I joined a federation than spanned half the galaxy and most of the people in it were spiritualists. Pacifist is good for rapid growth in the early game, but the rest of the galaxy needed liberation, y'know?

Eventually the Galactic Alliance (formerly the Tumbukita Compact) came to encompass most of the galaxy before I realized I had a life to live. I'll grab a screenshot when I'm not studying.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #460358

What are everyone's thoughts on the Leguin/Megacorp update?

I'm having a blast. While I miss some of the old system, I feel like planet development has a lot more depth with a fraction the micromanaging.
MegaCorpHype.png
► Show Spoiler
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #460679

My personal policy is to never play x.0 versions since historically new updates break the game, so I’m still just waiting while playing Smash in the meantime
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #460982

Ikarrus wrote:My personal policy is to never play x.0 versions since historically new updates break the game, so I’m still just waiting while playing Smash in the meantime
Oh yeah, the game is incredibly broken, but the new planet and sectors system is fun to experiment with. I'm really looking forward to playing an MP game with my buddies once the bugs are worked out.
► Show Spoiler
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #461711

I have to wait for my favourite mods to update anyway so I consider the games I play currently a lost cause to learn how the new systems work.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #462007

Ricotez wrote:I have to wait for my favourite mods to update anyway so I consider the games I play currently a lost cause to learn how the new systems work.
I hope the AI mods come up to speed soon. 2.2 AI is even worse than before.
I was having a blast in an inward perfection tall empire game. The galaxy is in crisis, and I noticed that the Unbidden is rolling over the U.N.E. They've already destroyed two medium-large sized empires, and has already begun taking the outer colonies of the Earthican nation. One of their fleets is gathering outside Sol.
geniusAI 1.png
Surely, the most powerful nation in the galaxy is more than ready to defend itself? Surely, their starbases and fleets are at the ready after having so many years to prepare?
geniusAI 2.png
Oh, their fleets are all patrolling trade routes on the opposite end of the galaxy. Over 65 000 fleet power. Patrolling trade routes. When the Unbidden are about to take over their capital.
I don't know what else I should have expected.

EDIT: I should also add that the starbase in their home system is barely upgraded with no defensive platforms at 2.6k fleet power. But hey, at least they have a bunch of army transport fleets to defend it, eh?
► Show Spoiler
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #462032

They should just let you play as the crisis invaders
At least that way you can say the AI deserved it when you beat them up again and again
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #462034

God damn Machine Empires got nerfed hard. They have a few strong suits but overall they did not fair well this update.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #462046

XSI wrote:They should just let you play as the crisis invaders
At least that way you can say the AI deserved it when you beat them up again and again
Don't worry, the crisis invaders are no better
After I made this post, the Unbidden and the two recolours refused to conquer any more planets. They just sat there with dozens of 60k power fleets while I took out their systems one by one
Davidchan wrote:God damn Machine Empires got nerfed hard. They have a few strong suits but overall they did not fair well this update.
Machine AI got hit hard too.
You know the event where you find a bunch of brain scans of a long dead alien race, and you can put them in robot bodies?
I did that, and sent them off to make their own empire. They never built a single construction ship because their home planet was in utter chaos. And why, you ask?
Because they were busy growing tons of food that they didn't need. Because apparently only gestalt consciousness tin cans got the new machine AI.
► Show Spoiler
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #462062

we'll fix it in post
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #462066

Ricotez wrote:we'll fix it in post
I'm certifiably miffed
A major galactic power just gene modified its own primary species into being delicious
WHY
► Show Spoiler
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #462076

Farquaar wrote:
I'm certifiably miffed
A major galactic power just gene modified its own primary species into being delicious
WHY
Fixed their food shortage with SCIENCE!
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #462091

Farquaar wrote:
I'm certifiably miffed
WHY
guro fetishists
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #462115

Imperial Guard Strategy. Fallen or Wounded Guardsmen are just emergency rations.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #462352

pirated new dlc is fun
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #462482

Ikarrus wrote:
Farquaar wrote:
I'm certifiably miffed
WHY
guro fetishists
you mean vore

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #462504

Don't those usually fit together?
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #462550

XSI wrote:They should just let you play as the crisis invaders
I can't believe they fucked up the AI so bad, EU4/CK2 AI was atleast passable. Even on the hardest difficulty the AI just cheats till about sixty years in then becomes completely inept to the point where they are completely fucking useless by the late-game even with obvious artificial difficulty in place they are still too fucking dumb to get anything right. It's the most glaring issue with the game but they've yet to even begin to fix it.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #462557

Sometinyprick wrote:I can't believe they fucked up the AI so bad, EU4/CK2 AI was atleast passable. Even on the hardest difficulty the AI just cheats till about sixty years in then becomes completely inept to the point where they are completely fucking useless by the late-game even with obvious artificial difficulty in place they are still too fucking dumb to get anything right. It's the most glaring issue with the game but they've yet to even begin to fix it.
The fact that individual modders are producing better AI for Paradox games than the dev team shows that a serious reconsideration of development priorities is in order.
► Show Spoiler
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #463249

This is Paradox people. Anyone who believes their base games are enjoyable unironically is downright retarded. Given that players have no option to prioritize job slots I can't say I'm surprised. Though I was very hopeful the pop system was going to be dropped entirely and just have leaders serve specialists positions and just give planets multipliers to resource production based on population compared to pop cap and extra bonuses for which infrastructure was developed or focused on.
XSI

Post by XSI » #463253

They're trying at least
Even if we really should expect better than 'trying' from a game costing more than AAA titles
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #463369

Davidchan wrote:Though I was very hopeful the pop system was going to be dropped entirely and just have leaders serve specialists positions and just give planets multipliers to resource production based on population compared to pop cap and extra bonuses for which infrastructure was developed or focused on.
Pops are great. What would games like Vicky II be without pops?
Now that I think about it, would Stellaris even be a partly-grand strategy game without pops? It's only a step or two away from being pure 4X already.
► Show Spoiler
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #463496

HoI4 does just fine without arbitrary pops. Having actually numerical populations that work all establishrd sectors/districts of a planet at a rate equivalent to how close to the pop cap they are rather than a single planetary building like the primary media requiring more population to fully staff than multiple mining or ag districts.

That and the pop growth system is so backwards its asinine. Why does a population grow slower as it gets bigger? Has the last few hundred years not definitely proven that growth is exponential? It took thousands of years for humanity to reach a billion people, and hundred years later it was 2 billion. In stellaris it takes many times longer for a 10 pop civ to grow that 11th pop than a 4 pop civ can get that 5th.

Every aspect of the pop system is bad, the only apparent upside is its easier to resettle which wouldn't be that diggicult to just move populations around by the hundred of millions to the same effect. The fact is that the new district system would have worked flawlessly if they fully adopted the HoI4 system and not just the face of it, and would have been even better if specialized workers were leader slots which would make democracies and empires with elections even more interesting as the more you expand the more candidates you have and chances for interesting leaders.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #463515

Apparently a significant part of the lag is star bases that recalculate and do all possible trade routes daily and upon trade going through any sort of gateway or wormhole triggering possibility gore or some shit potential routes just vomiting on either side.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1592074962
Davidchan wrote:That and the pop growth system is so backwards its asinine. Why does a population grow slower as it gets bigger? Has the last few hundred years not definitely proven that growth is exponential? It took thousands of years for humanity to reach a billion people, and hundred years later it was 2 billion. In stellaris it takes many times longer for a 10 pop civ to grow that 11th pop than a 4 pop civ can get that 5th.
You sure the pop growth isn't just being exported to your colonies? Emigration is a number that takes out of pop growth. Pops really like going to your colonies and making them somewhat functional.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #463556

>Get immigrant species on a planet
>Native species stops growing

What did Paradox mean by this?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
XSI

Post by XSI » #463559

That they're not capable of coding a system where both species can grow at the same time, probably
Yet you can have pop growth at the same time as robotics being build
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #463568

They have this weird thing where species population will always grow toward an equilibrium of diversity

So if you have a planet nearly full of your native species and get one immigrant, your native species will go into decline because the game always works toward a 1:1 ratio between all species, even if the immigrant has low habitability.

I wonder if you can intentionally create a shitty species just to infect xenophile empires with.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?