Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Ikarrus » #288468

Bottom post of the previous page:

Massive bugfix patch dropping this tuesday

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... 2.1019086/

It seems like they're alternating between big DLC content updates and bugfix updates. Which is nice.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #288471

Still no fix for neverending war in Heaven due to frozen warscore
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #288594

That terraforming and world shaper change is nice.

Getting gaia world terraforming and shit is utterly useless since you can't terraform your own planets, and some games terra forming just won't appear until late game if you're unlucky.

Also has anyone successfully (and productively) constructed mega structures before very late game? Even when I tried to 'rush' mega structures, it takes so god awful long, and such a rediculous amount of resources, that even with the mod that lets you build multiple megastructures at the same time I still only finished my ring world extremely late game (basically all non repeatable tech done, only 1 ascension perk left to unlock), and the sentry array and dyson sphere still weren't done.

Like, they're cool to have and wave your space dick around, but fuck are they utterly impractical.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #288596

I found it easier to just conquer a ring world from a fallen empire, by the time you have the resources you should also have a fleet big enough to vanquish anything. Habitats are the only superstructure worth something in the mid-game, they can give you tons of energy if you fill them with powerplants and put a genemodded pop with the energy bonus trait on top
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #288598

Either way hell yes on terraforming inhabited worlds.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #288623

Oh yeah, habitats are neat, but the big ones are all just gay babies in the vanilla game - even if you're full on pacifist, the 200k+ minerals and SIXTY PLUS YEARS it takes to build any of them would be better used for more dakka, unless you're going out of your way to drag out the game.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #288649

They're not viable if you want to do anything effectively, no

They're nice ideas, but they come way too late and have nearly no impact. Even the sentry array which I previously called the only good one aside from the habitats, is kinda useless because it's basically just like building repeatable tech of planet sensor range. Which you should already have at very high levels at that point. I suppose it does mean you can spend that research on something else that's more useful though

Dick waving is nice, but it's expensive and time consuming dick waving with nothing to show for it
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #288721

First up the only one mega at a time thing is bullshit. Lemme assign a scientist and governor team or something to work each site to represent "expertise" but if I am sitting on enough minerals don't tell me I lack bloody material.

Probably needs to be ring world specific buildings or buffs to make them worth it like habitats. Fallen empire structures was what made their ring worlds absolute killer.

As for dyson spheres and shit I always thought the the numbers were way too low. Like more profitable to fill an empty system with similar task habitats low.

All in all it should be like tapping an awakened empire's income because this is meant to be how we become on par with them economically.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #288739

I've never actually understood what a stellaris ring world is supposed to be.
It's this impossibly large ring around the entire sun, yet it only has these tiny 4 patches of livable dirt.
Literally what is the point of the ring itself? What is the purpose compared to building 4 XL habitats with spessport DLC?
XSI

Post by XSI » #288799

I believe the whole 4 colonisable spots thing is mostly just their way of handling something thats bigger than 25 tiles, as you may have noticed the planet overview only has space for 25 tiles. You're supposed to imagine every 25 tiles spot to cover that 1/4th of the ringworld
It's 4 gaia worlds in size, and that makes it better than almost every system in density of production
It's still pretty shit how they handled it, but it can't be denied that the ring world is technically the most valuable thing that can go in a system if managed well, far better than the maximum potential for almost every other system out there, except maybe the ones where you can fit in 4+ habitats and have 2 planets.

Dyson Spheres are actually pretty decent as far as energy goes, and they do seem to be better income than filling up smaller systems with habitats. The sad thing is that it takes forever to build and you'll have full production much earlier with habitats full of energy stuff than with the sphere. They're good if you have nothing else to build, and they are a decent chunk of income, but by the time you can make them you've probably won.

The big problem with all this grand space structure stuff is that it brings you the ability to have very dense production, sometimes without the need for a planet. Which means it doesn't impact your tradition and tech cost anywhere near as much as the same production spread out across many other systems. It offers really good efficiency, at a high price
But at the point you get it, you're down to maybe your last few tradition unlocks and repeatable techs, so you just don't need what it offers
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #288820

It's a shame cause I've always been fascinated by megastructures in Sci-Fi. First time I ever heard about one was in Star Trek: TNG with the Dyson Sphere. I thought it was the coolest shit ever.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #288861

XSI wrote:snip
Yeah, the game doesn't handle planets with more than 25 tiles well. If created though mods or console commands, it just defaults to 25 tiles appearance, though planet size on map might be larger.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #288878

The way megastructures were implemented always gives me the feel they were more intended for people who just want to worldbuild an empire of super advanced aliens, rather than something that is really going to give you a tactical advantage in an actual game.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #288887

If prestige was a thing, I could see building and finishing a structure as being something useful.

Though, I did like playing as a post-End of the Cycle psionic empire and recovering my systems from the daemons/Shroud predators by building ringworlds to replace the Shrouded planets.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #291806

>1.6 Adams
>Broken achievements
>AIs never declare war and always shift to pacifist
>Moving caste system pops around stack unhappiness maluses
>AIs and Sector AIs terraforming planets into detrimental climates

Well, at least Endless Space 2 is out next week.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #291808

> i still can't win against that

Well, there's always space station 13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #291887

>patch about bug fixes, quality of life and balance
>riddled with game breaking bugs

In other news, would you enjoy an AI that aside from it's main battle fleets made like 20 small corvette fleets to try and just rape all your orbital infrastructure in all your systems simultaniously?
XSI

Post by XSI » #291892

I would

That way those defensive structures/stations you can build actually become useful, you'd be able to place the things to help defend your orbital stuff
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #291893

I was thinking about making a mod inspired by the Prime from the commonwealth saga of books.
ie: Hive mind, fanatical purging ass bandits from spess. Also with a fondness for overwhelming mass attacks.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #292248

Opt in beta to fix all the shit they broke is now out

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... e.1020919/
Spoiler:
* Fixed AI never declaring war
* Fixed egalitarian faction unhappiness wrongly being generated by having robot "slave" Pops
* Fixed issue with AI empires switching ethics far too frequently
* Fixed a bug allowing you to terraform planets you don't own in contested space
* Fixed wrongly stacking "was enslaved" happiness modifiers
* Fixed graphical error with Ringworld skies
* Fixed issue with War in Heaven where total occupation would not equal 100% warscore, leading to neverending war
* Added back a couple of old diplomacy rooms and fixed black background on older ones
* Fixed not being able to construct spaceports around Ringworld sections
* Fixed wrong tooltip text on Armageddon bombardment stance
* Hive Minds can now properly use Full bombardment stance
* Fixed egalitarian faction issues appearing before you have any contact with alien empires and thus no ability to fulfil them
* Devouring Swarms now properly get -1000 opinion penalty due to being, well, Devouring Swarms
* Fixed a rare crash when planetary Pops are destroyed
* Fixed crash when rebels take over a planet and defect to another empire
* Fixed missing isolationist faction issue name
* Fixed numerous missing loc strings in languages other than English and Russian
* Can now properly rename civilian ships again
* Fixed missing animation for Armageddon bombardment
* Fixed event that was endlessly firing in the background, causing a performance hit
* Fixed an issue where Xenophobe fallen empire opinion penalty for frontier outposts was calculated strangely, leading to incorrect war declarations
* Fixed primitive enlightenment failing in the early game
* Fixed AI nonsensically replacing buildings in a wasteful way, disregarding tile resources
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #296591

SPACE BONER MATCH TOMORROW SUNDAY 5/21/2017

Gona be around da AM EST of course
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #306322

More details? Any mods? What version?
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #314546

1.7 patch is being skipped over for 1.8 Čapek

Apparently technological hiveminds are going to be a thing.

Also AI rebellion crisis is being overhauled. AI rebellions are now things that can happen but aren't crisis worthy, except the thing that replaced the Machine Consciousness. It's getting replaced with something called The Contingency which will use subversion and infiltration to soften up a target for its sterilisation fleets. Information is limited but a popular theory is that it's going to be a testbed for an espionage system but that's just hearsay.

A new Fallen Empire is also being added, a hive mind ethos, with the Ancient Custodian personality. They're a robotic empire with some unique mechanics, chief of which is that they're opinion of you is completely obscured and have the default attitude of "Enigmatic". Fluff wise they're a part of something called The Custodian Project and were designed to protect the sapient races from an unknown threat. They're also very sketchy and might not on the level with you and might have some unique interactions with synthetic ascension empires. They also have an undisclosed "Trigger" that when activated, will send them berserk and can happen any time

Materialsits fallen empires will no longer hate you for having AI pops, but the spiritualist empires will. Spiritualists will also be more interactive and assign quests and give otu gifts, but usualyl only to fellow spiritualists.

Some civs types will also gain a new form of citizenship labelled "Assimilation" where they will be altered to become like the dominant species of the empire. So far, Hiveminds, cyborg and synth empires will have this ability so it looks like you will be able to roleplay as the Borg.
Also Hiveminds will have minor tweaks and improvements to their uniqueness (their VOs will now sound like many voices speaking in unison, have private colony ships removed from the prosperity tree etc.)
Gene modding is also being re-worked so that creating a subspecies from a subspecies won't make the progenitor of both treat the sub-subspecies like aliens via the new genetic engineering template system, as well as making it easier to genemod many pops at once (at the cost of making it harder to mod few pops at once).
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #314683

They are also reworking habitability (or have they reworked it already?), so that it's not "how much max happiness pops on this planet can have", but a modifier to it.
I play:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #314797

I have just as much fun reading about upcoming updates as playing them
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #314802

Oh yeah, they're reducing the number of habitable planets, but, allowing you to colonise 20%ers to compensate. So you won't be *completely* fucked over if you're surrounded by arctic planets as a desert species - but you will have to ocntend with an unhappy populace.

Also factions are apparently going to be more politically active - especially in democracies.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #316673

[youtube]3b10YpKvgMY[/youtube]
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #316698

I'm honestly thinking about doing a Borg Collective playthrough once the new patch hits. Since it's all but confirmed it will have synthetic-based hiveminds
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #316741

Paradox wrote:Next week we'll be talking about robots and robotic modification.
I hope this means we can make robots look differently.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #316951

Plants are cute dude I needed it I swear.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #316974

It's not play2win. This is the only tolerable kind of dlc. Cosmetic.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
XSI

Post by XSI » #316988

Now if only they had actual features and the thing wasn't an early alpha game
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #317634

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #317650

>Full functionality
When she asks if you're anatomically correct.gif
When she asks if you're anatomically correct.gif (246.99 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #318066

sexist!!!!!.png
sexist!!!!!!.png
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #318068

He's so painfully swedish
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #318173

Using a female in a videogame, what the fuck were they thinking?

That said, if he really expected some kind of backlash and thought that using a male was the safer bet... well why didn't he use a male?? If I were an employer and one of my employees came to me and said "Yes doing this thing will be negatively received and bring us hate, we know that and we're doing it even when there is a safer option" I would be quite disappointed. It's a for-profit corporation, not a civil rights union.
XSI

Post by XSI » #318175

What a mess they could have easily prevented
Aside from all things mentioned above, this wouldn't even have been a discussion before the whole SJW shit started fucking with games, and people are paranoid about it.

Should have just cited US military findings on alarm voices
They've done extensive testing for their aircraft alert sounds and it was revealed that the majority of pilots respond more quickly and alertly to a female voice than to a male or monotonous one.
Which makes all the difference when the message is "Pull up" because you're about to hit the ground.

I'd imagine a militarist civilization going to space to do similar tests and if they're similar enough to humans to reach the same conclusion. Fuck, I didn't even listen to the voices yet, and I would have been surprised if militaristic would be anything other than female just because of that. Also xenophobe will make a WH40k reference just loose enough to not get sued by GW and hive mind will probably end up speaking with multiple voices or offset voices to cause an echo effect. Something to make it obvious that it's a hive mind with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face.

Actually let me just google to find out if they do that

Edit: Close enough. Pretty sure Xenophobe is talking about the Eldar
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #318182

girls have cooties
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #318188

The issue is probably with the militarist voice sounding crazy and not the gender.

A community of grand strat junkies has an overly rosy view of warmongering militarism? Who could've guessed?

Dumb dev bois brought it on themselves by trotting out the "80-90% OF COMPLAINTS ARE BECAUSE MISOGYNY" line.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #318219

XSI wrote:Should have just cited US military findings on alarm voices
They've done extensive testing for their aircraft alert sounds and it was revealed that the majority of pilots respond more quickly and alertly to a female voice than to a male or monotonous one.
Which makes all the difference when the message is "Pull up" because you're about to hit the ground.
They sound nothing alike the militarist voice though.

[youtube]yx7-yvXf6f8[/youtube]

[youtube]yPOao4X-52s[/youtube]
for the vocal warning sounds for the F-16 specifically

CosmicScientist wrote:=(

Xenophobe is just going to be nationalist/racist of the flavour that Paradox stamped out of the steam workshop?
Did they remove racist mods?
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
XSI

Post by XSI » #318242

They removed a 'white humans only' mod because it was racist
They did not have any problems with 'black humans only' or 'asian humans only', and it was a huge stink for a while

That said, I think the xenophobe one could be about the Tau as well. With their 'greater good' and crap
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #318246

Same reason Prison Architect doesn't have a Dachau 1942 mod. Doesn't help that the "black/asian only" mods were made by the same people to make a point. Yes major game studios don't want to associate themselves with racism, boo fucking ooh news at 11
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #318284

Community forums are cancer and I've been noticing a gradual increase in aggression in Wiz's attitude as he interacts with them on a near daily basis
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #318460

Name five game community forums that aren't garbage
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318476

You think you're a fan of game community forums? Name ten of their albums.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #318625

this place is pure carcinogenesis
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #318846

>You can now change species portraits when genemodding them

Mhaha yes now I can play as Horatio
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #318959

>Genemod conquered races into having he same name, appearance and traits as your own
>Purify the galaxy bloodlessly
Think pug.jpg
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #318960

Anonmare wrote:>Genemod conquered races into having he same name, appearance and traits as your own
>Purify the galaxy bloodlessly
Think pug.jpg
woah
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #318978

But now I can RP as my shitty fanfictions.