Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Incomptinence » #342739

Bottom post of the previous page:

starmute wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:Crisis shit:
Spoiler:
Well got ground to a halt by 5X strength contingency in a 1000 star galaxy (another 150% strength mod to them) I was inches away from victory too.

The ship modifiers on them are insane and their weapons set up of heavy focused arc emitters will straight up always pop ships like grapes and they live forever even though my bombers with like 400% dps (love their 10% repeatables was alternating them) are an effective counter slamming past their fat shields. Had like 200-300k losses when outnumbering a 430k fleet 2 to one. It is doable but I will need to min max more and go broken beta exterminators.

On the bright side in 1.8.1 assimilators are legit especially since a dedicated mining cyborg starter race really eases mineral woes and the unity income from assimilation pads out some of your unity trees even while conquering.

Darn still cut up about that game I was extremely lucky too 3 ruined mega structures 2 ring worlds 1 nexus in my local group one of which was cybrex alpha so despite being a solid quarter of the galaxy my tech was great with the 2x nexus backing me up could muster almost 3000 or so engineering income on 104% modifier or so toward the end.

Oh and I fucking got positronic AI and AI combat computers despite them stupidly removing positronic AI from machine empires blocking off the latter tech. I hacked positronic out of the fucking infinity machine.

Moral of the story is if you crank dat fuckin end game crisis modifier you better fucking have defender of the galaxy BEFORE they show up and a fuck load of naked corvettes to sacrifice despite their raised cost. Under all those modifiers their xl mounts were strategy game instagib rifles on small ships and bbs fared terribly.

Oh and friendly crisis response like saaaay the cybrex don't get the multipliers.
Spoiler:
The cybrex thing was amazing.
\
Spoiler:
nope
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #342741

Incomptinence wrote:
starmute wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:Crisis shit:
Spoiler:
Well got ground to a halt by 5X strength contingency in a 1000 star galaxy (another 150% strength mod to them) I was inches away from victory too.

The ship modifiers on them are insane and their weapons set up of heavy focused arc emitters will straight up always pop ships like grapes and they live forever even though my bombers with like 400% dps (love their 10% repeatables was alternating them) are an effective counter slamming past their fat shields. Had like 200-300k losses when outnumbering a 430k fleet 2 to one. It is doable but I will need to min max more and go broken beta exterminators.

On the bright side in 1.8.1 assimilators are legit especially since a dedicated mining cyborg starter race really eases mineral woes and the unity income from assimilation pads out some of your unity trees even while conquering.

Darn still cut up about that game I was extremely lucky too 3 ruined mega structures 2 ring worlds 1 nexus in my local group one of which was cybrex alpha so despite being a solid quarter of the galaxy my tech was great with the 2x nexus backing me up could muster almost 3000 or so engineering income on 104% modifier or so toward the end.

Oh and I fucking got positronic AI and AI combat computers despite them stupidly removing positronic AI from machine empires blocking off the latter tech. I hacked positronic out of the fucking infinity machine.

Moral of the story is if you crank dat fuckin end game crisis modifier you better fucking have defender of the galaxy BEFORE they show up and a fuck load of naked corvettes to sacrifice despite their raised cost. Under all those modifiers their xl mounts were strategy game instagib rifles on small ships and bbs fared terribly.

Oh and friendly crisis response like saaaay the cybrex don't get the multipliers.
Spoiler:
The cybrex thing was amazing.
\
Spoiler:
nope
All the laughs.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #343913

How would one be a mercenary nation.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #346312

Looks like they're moving forward with their planned border changes. Systems being claimed individually, rather than having a border projected from your colonised worlds.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 9825039360
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 5861688320
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #346403

I had a somewhat interesting first game in 1.8 earlier. large double spiral, 3 fallen empires including the machine nerds.
I was playing authoritarian, spiritualist, militarist trying to enslave all the plebs.
I relied on a couple of neighbouring allies to carry me early game, but later on just conquered, vassalised and absorbed everything around me (including my allies, fuckers wouldn't willingly be vassals, their loss).
Literally all but one possible leviathan spawned in my part of the galaxy for some reason, but a ruined sci nexus and sentry array were on the direct other side which was mildly upsetting. Also later out it turned out sanctuary was over near there too, which is kinda interesting.

Later on I had 1/3 of the galaxy, and had cheekily taken over sanctuary (some xenophile empire had uplifted some fucks on them, but had to fight ther whole federation to claim it), the new crisis appeared.
Now admittedly I was only on very hard with x1 crisis strength, but it was underwhelming as fuck.

The fleets they sent out were weak enough for the AI's (including an awakened empire and also the machine fallen empire) to beat, but they never had enough strength to take on the actual base systems, which meant it would have been a perpetual stalemate if I didn't go and kill them all myself.
Also the final system was really disappointing. It had like 1m fleet strength, yet my fleet which was only like 600k, lost like... 3 ships killing it, wat?

Also later on I made like 6 ring worlds, and put a different species on each segment. Was going to later on turn each one into a seperate vassal, but got bored and haven't finished that game.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #347438

It's gonna be a bit better now the contingency has tachyon lances instead of focused arc emitters.

With all the crazy modifiers I had them under including galaxy size they basically popped battleships like popcorn and arc emitters actually filled their role of making all defences pointless, I needed to field naked corvettes to give them something to overkill while they tanked with their modified health.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #350211

Next big update teased to have fleet caps in hopes it ends doomstacking

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 0838097920
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #350212

>Spaceport cap

D E E P C O N C E R N
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #350218

Starports. They are tied to systems rather than planets now. They can also now have multiple shipyards and produce 10+ ships in parallel.

I'm betting they can also be downgraded/upgraded between starports and simple territory markers
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #350313

>Capping fleet sizes instead of balancing shit

So what is there stopping people from just throwing multiple fleets in instead, turning the whole thing into a slow meatgrinder?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #350324

XSI wrote:>Capping fleet sizes instead of balancing shit

So what is there stopping people from just throwing multiple fleets in instead, turning the whole thing into a slow meatgrinder?
To Be Announced
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 6891662336
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #350528

CosmicScientist wrote:What a passive aggressive git.
I mean... this is the same guy who tweeted this

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 9825039360
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/statu ... 5861688320

for something that's basically just a graphical change.

People will always be rude to developers, turning into passive aggressive little shits doesn't really help. One would think that devs should have learned this by now
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #350635

He used to be better before he was promoted to director.

I’m sure he has a lot more bullshit to wade through at work as much as he would on twitter.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #352118

Also brace yourselves for an FTL overhaul. It sounds like they'll be doing that at the same time as the border/fleet size changes as a part of a singular "War" update.

Will war finally be interesting?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #352160

They might be borrowing stuff from other PDX games, where if you have too much stuff on one tile you get attrition. They could try to do HOI-style supply lines, or just "you can't have X ships in one system, or they'll start taking damage/won't regenerate shields/will get a debuff/whatever".

EDIT: Actually, they might roll "bigger stack size" into Galactic Force Projection ascension perk, AKA: "free 200 fleetpower, but almost no one takes it because you most likely went wiiiide and have bazilion spaceports" the perk.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #352189

>attrition

that's a nice way to never EVER have allied fleets join your losing battles anymore when it would raise the ships number over attrition level, like it happens in other pdx games
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #352477

It's not much as attrition applying in battles but the AI fucking things up trying to avoid attrition. My personal favourite will be passing through a system where an allied fleet is sieging a planet only to see the ally abandon siege and leave because my fleet made it exceed the attrition cap.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #352628

there is a mod that does that already, I haven't tried it though.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #353175

This week: FTL overhaul
https://login.paradoxplaza.com/login?se ... teway=true

Next week: Wargoal system overhaul
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #353372

I get where they're going with it... Ive been spoiled by playing a lot if wormhole only games.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #353379

ThanatosRa wrote:I get where they're going with it... Ive been spoiled by playing a lot if wormhole only games.
reading article now but i pretty much only use wormhole, very much latetly though i've been forcing myself to play hyperspace only games and I'm finding it pretty fun
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #353399

It's more strategic. But I have a habit of building massive wormhole networks which if I'm allowed to do lets me hit where I want when I want.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #353416

I only played Hyperspace only games because they were a lot funner and planning strategically was easier. A choke point into your territory was armoured up more than a Sister of Battle's chastity belt
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #353426

I mainly was doing hyperspace only lately with a mod that covers the galaxy in fog of war like civ 5 ish and that was pretty fun.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #353478

Isn’t there already fog of war? What’s different about Stellaris and any other game with FoW?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #353683

I think he means a more prolific FoW. Like not seeing how big an empire really is if you don't have sensor coverage on it
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #353693

it was actually this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =907345368 . not a huge game changer but I thought it added to the feel of the game i was looking for
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #356130

Finally they are getting rid of that awful warscore system
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #356248

are they really making hyperlanes the only movement system?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #356252

It's sort of like a mix of hyperlane and mass effect with natural wormhole pairs and gateways that allow travel to any other gateway in the galaxy
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #356260

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #362023

Doomstacks finally addressed. How successful is yet to be seen, but looks like it could mitigate the issue.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... n.1058152/
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #372488

[youtube]auDTPzdwga4[/youtube]

Now with even more Exterminatus!
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #372613

Apparently is adds WMDs and Titans as buildable ships
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #372799

You can just straight up crack a planet but you can also exterminate all life on it, assimilate all life on it, or permanently seal it off from the rest of the universe by putting an impenetrable forcefield around it. And then put a research station in orbit to watch the people inside squirm.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #373435

I'm gonna buy all dlcs, when new one hits the store, and give this game another try. The fact that they are introducing features EU had years ago (casus belli), means Stellaris may not suck anymore.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #373452

But that's the case with all paradox games. 75% of dlcs to EU4 are needed to make the game not suck.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #373453

How about not buying the game at all?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #373455

I don't get the criticism towards CK2, it was a perfectly playable game at launch and it's one of the very few games still supported and actively developed years after release, and the best crusading simulator on the market.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #373522

I don't know if I'm immediately going to get this DLC, planet killers are cool but the 2.0 update brings so many important improvements to the table I might forego it for a while.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #373691

srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #382496

>when your civ fights each other stabs people over potatoes.
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #382497

Stellaris.jpg
Me in a normal game
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #382867

my pc should be ready around the time apoc releases. stellaris has been probably one of my most fav games recently
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #383941

It's out
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #383950

The new system is very different in looks and feel

The early game is slower than it was before but the upside is that you have less to fear from AI empires placing down a frontier outpost and stealing your valuable systems
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #384013

How buggy is the new update?

Should I wait for the inevitable 2.0.1?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #384016

Ikarrus wrote:How buggy is the new update?

Should I wait for the inevitable 2.0.1?
I found a bug within 30 minutes: If your construction ship is destroyed on its way to making a frontier outpost, you won't get the resources refunded. So make sure the ship is there before you make the outpost.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #384018

Found this post on their forums, people are experiencing things like neverending wars
Mechanic Issues:
-Swarm/Purging not giving food
-Purifier/Grid Amalgamation also not giving energy & Unity
-Barbaric Despoiler no surrender with Plunder war goal even at 100% requires complete occupation of territory to force peace.
Gameplay
-Stations when upgraded are healed 100% even whilst in combat.
Misc
-Fleet manager is glitchy with regards to Upgrading (Haven't had an issue with it myself but from those I play with are struggling to upgrade different designs at once)
-Early-game mission objectives are located/appearing on the other side of the entire galaxy.
Looks like the best policy remains waiting for the x.1 hotfix patch after every major update
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #384304

Life seeded pops cannot be habitability gene modded even if you get super lucky research rushing genetics techs I was so looking forward to my droid colony welcoming my first living colonists 60-70 years in.

Perfect world habitability is straight up not in the genetics menu so I don't think even bio ascension would cover it.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #384308

Guess you'll just have to turn every other world into a perfect world.