Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Talk about video games here
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Anonmare » #384308

Bottom post of the previous page:

Guess you'll just have to turn every other world into a perfect world.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #384577

I feel like they changed how your fleet ai picks systems to move; "oh hey we need to get to this place, our fleet power is 800 let's take a quick hop through this red ruby swar-"
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #384758

Anonmare wrote:Guess you'll just have to turn every other world into a perfect world.
Or just go synth lol.

Anyway I have an ongoing barbaric despoiler game and well the civic is waste of your time and the slot really.

It has enough negative modifier to oppinion that you spend the first 150 years or so being raided by nomad fleets sicced on you by the people that hate you.

Their special raiding casus belli is just a humiliation war that takes a FIXED STATIC 500 energy on top that the AI can peace out as soon as they lose anything late game of it is a full blown war on their end so you stand to lose anything they take potentially.
So that doesn't really let you use the raiding bombardment it is a mid bombardment so you switch to indiscriminate a lot to actually invade planets and make score.
Especially the case for proper claim wars which are stupidly easy to preclaim lots of shit before the war and just status quo out on whatever you can get.
Vassal wars are a demented pain because you need to take every system of their AND most of the systems of anyone in a defensive pact or federation with them.
In either case you are on the clock against exhaustion so you use you good regular bog standard bombardment instead of raiding you simply barely have the time.
In any case stuck despoiling they made it one of the ones you can't drop.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #384799

Incomptinence wrote:Life seeded pops cannot be habitability gene modded even if you get super lucky research rushing genetics techs I was so looking forward to my droid colony welcoming my first living colonists 60-70 years in.

Perfect world habitability is straight up not in the genetics menu so I don't think even bio ascension would cover it.
Also I just checked and you can, did you get glandular acclimation tech as well? That's the habitability genemod
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #385000

You guys: "My assimilating droid race is having an issue where the life forms I'm gestating don't have the proper glands for the terraforming doctrine I've adopted."

Me: "I uhh...I made these penguins...and they're really good at science."
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #385059

I still use the same religious space bats that I made for one of our /tg/station multiplayer games

those were fun by the way, we should have another one
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #385135

I've got an iron man game running: Life-seeded space elves going for biological ascension

Life-seeded I've found has more downsides than positives. You start the game with a size 25 Gaia world, but, you can't colonise anything but other Gaias/Ringwolrds/Habitats and you can't remove the civic during play.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #385136

You forgot to add that, in most galaxy sizes, good percentage of Gaia worlds is backed by a FE.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #385419

Life Seeded is explicitly for the single planet challenge. It is not intended to be a viable civic for a more general strategy. While you could try to rush out something like habs or synthetic that is obviously not a good idea when you consider the math of it; being stuck on one planet the entire early game isn't worth a 25 size planet to start on, which is ultimately what Life Seeded does.

Also holy shit I am loving the starport and weapon changes. Even without the DLC this is a grand update.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #385473

Coming soon
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #385689

guys oh gosh that fog of war mod I was using pre 2.0 now makes the game like 100 times better;
Spoiler:
I still prefer the legacy version which is still updated to 2.0 but doesn't change the gameplay effects of hyperlanes at all, but I might get around to trying the default version and update my stance later.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =907345368
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #385739

CosmicScientist wrote:Damn it, where's my 75 bird mana to buy it down?

So war exhaustion is going to be per war? That's slightly more fun than you can't go to war for two hours but given the harsh penalty, does the winning side's war exhaustion tick up/have a call for peace?
You only start feling the negative effectd of war exhaustion at 100%, which reduces things like unity generation. If both sides have 100% war exhaustion, then neither can't refuse a status quo victory if either side offers it.

A status quo victory is when both sides agree to end the war and keep whatever systems they occupied, most wars seem to end that way as outright conquest is significantly more difficult - ships will prefer to disengage from combat than fight to the death so it's not easy to actually destroy the enemy's fleets any more, but, damaged ships/stations lose combat effectiveness and if the ship the admiral is on disengages/is destroyed, they'll be removed from the battle.

Smaller fleets are also more viable as having less ships gives them a minor bonus due to being in a target rich environment. Ships and armies can also gain experience and increase in effectiveness by being more experienced. All in all, a tall empire can field a small, experienced and technologically superior fleet against a large enemy one and still have a shot at winning.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #385740

If devouring swarms, driven assimilators and fanatical crusaders get war exhaustion I'm gonna be annoyed
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #385744

Armhulen wrote:If devouring swarms, driven assimilators and fanatical crusaders get war exhaustion I'm gonna be annoyed
They do get war exhausted but they always have casus bellis against everyone and pretty much ignore having to make any claims, unless their target is on the other side of the galaxy.
I think Gestalts and genocidal empires experience attrition war exhaustion much slower than other empires.

War exhaustion is gained from territorial/ship/battle losses mainly but you also get exhausted passively from attrition, not even exterminators are immune to exhaustion
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #385793

CosmicScientist wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
If one side hits 100% war exhaustion, does the other side start ticking up or can a player abuse it indefinitely?
You both experience war exhaustion passively as attrition. Losses make it tick faster, being on the defensive makes it tick slower and defending your independence or against genocide also makes it tick slower. It maxes out at 100% but you cannot ignore exhaustion, you can mitigate it in a few ways but you can't ignore it.

When you're at 100% exhaustion, you cannot refuse a status quo peace agreement and vice-versa for the AI. If the AI is losing, it will try to tick up your exhaustion to reduces its losses or try to outflank you and take undefended systems.

Status Quo means both sides get to take any systems they manage to occupy (defeating frontier outposts/invading planets), so even if you take all the enemy's systems, if they slipped past you they can easily take all yours. I've determined that the big wars of the past versions of stellaris aren't the most effective methods of conquest any more, border skirmishes are more reliable if you claim only a few border systems, go to war, occupy them and status quo out so they can't properly mount a threat response.
Stellaris Wiki wrote:War Exhaustion goes from 0-100%, and measures the total weariness and attrition suffered by all empires on one side in a war. War Exhaustion goes up from having Planets and Starbases occupied by the enemy, suffering losses during Space and Ground Combat, and a passive accumulation over time called Attrition. When a side's War Exhaustion hits 100% they can be forced into a Status Quo peace. The speed at which War Exhaustion accumulates is influenced by factors such as ethics, traditions, technology and the amount of claims being pressed - an empire that is fighting to hold onto a handful of border systems will tire of a costly conflict quicker than one whose very independence is being threatened. War Exhaustion also means that an Empire that is losing a war can still fight to minimize their territorial losses by fighting to inflict War Exhaustion on the enemy.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #385943

x.1 Hotfix is in, I guess I can finally play now
REST ASSURED, WE ARE NOT DONE WITH POST-LAUNCH SUPPORT FOR 2.0

Every patch balances completeness with speed, there are more fixes coming when we have time to implement and test them.

Here's the contents of this patch:

Fixed processing/grid amalgamation/livestock purge types being broken
Fixed a bug where a fleet split from its parent would forget the previous hyperspace jump and get stuck in systems with FTL inhibitors indefinitely
Fixed several out of sync bugs in multiplayer
Fixed some missing/broken localization in various languages
Fixed upgrading ships wrongly having their XP deleted
Fixed some UI visibility issues on certain screen resolutions
Fixed misleading costs displayed for building mining/research stations
Fixed Admirals being unassigned from a fleet during combat
Fixed FTL inhibition effect not being removed when you downgrade a starbase

Again, let me assure you that this is just a small package of severe/fast to fix things that I want to get in your hands sooner rather than later. Larger, more comprehensive support will continue in the coming days and weeks. We know how massive the changes wrought in 2.0 are, and your feedback will continue to be critical to make it the best possible experience. Thanks.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #387272

I have to say this change to the game made the game awesome for me.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #387779

We have that 10+ man multiplayer match coming up this weekend.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #387795

srifenbyxp wrote:We have that 10+ man multiplayer match coming up this weekend.
is it a continuation of the last one or a brand new one?
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #388143

TheWiznard wrote:
srifenbyxp wrote:We have that 10+ man multiplayer match coming up this weekend.
is it a continuation of the last one or a brand new one?
wait what? I want in.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #388277

I'm up for that too if it's not too late on my end
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #389162

https://discord.gg/fvKDf5

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

is the game discord and we have a sheet for confirmed players
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #396958

Finally got around to playing v2 now that 2.0.2 is officially out

I really like most of the changes they've done to war. There's actually some nuance now besides just comparing fleet strength numbers.

Titans and colossus seem pretty useless for how expensive/late in the game you get them, like megastructures

Never got to try the claims system as I decided to try a Fanatical Purifier empire, which feels super OP now that they get to just ignore claims and instantly seize control of any planet or system they occupy.

Good update, although scaling difficulty starts a bit too easy... perhaps I'll re-enable Advanced Neighbor Starts in future games
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #402419

[youtube]qAH6LBzbpJo[/youtube]
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #402425

Dev Diary #111

To summarise: Anomalies won't have failure chances, difficulty now determines research time - reduced by scientist skill. The Hyperlane algorithm was altered to prefer to produce clusters of inter-connected stars with only a few hyperlanes to connect each cluster. The algorithm was also altered to recognise chokepoints and try to avoid placing leviathans and space guardians in these chokepoints.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #402429

CosmicScientist wrote:Interesting, was anomalies failing that bad?
Not really bad, just annoying. They weren't worth doing unless they were 5% or lower at failing and you often forgot about the ones you decided to leave 'til later
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #402437

I was getting bored of seeing the same anomalies over and over again

Limiting them to only once per playthrough and potentially doubling the number of them ones sounds great.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #403261

Anonmare wrote:Anomalies won't have failure chances, difficulty now determines research time

thank

GOD
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #406741

Distant Stars adds several dozen new anomalies to the game, with everything from simple discoveries to complex event chains (including the opportunity to make a new and very different kind of friend...) Overall, Distant Stars increase the anomaly count of the game by about 50%. We've also taken the time to go back and improve some old anomalies and fix up others that did not spawn correctly, so that even those without Distant Stars will be able to experience new discoveries in the Niven update.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #406880

If they add espionage mechanics and more political manoeuvring for federations then I everything on my wishlist when I first got this game will be complete.

After that, the only thing I could think to add is QoL stuff like more varied hiveminds since they're either a generic hivemind or a ravenous swarm
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #406980

It's speculated that their next "big expansion" is going to be diplomacy-oriented, as it's the last big item on their old to-do list
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #409068

>tfw nobody ever wants to agree to an open border policy with the Yiff Collective
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #409074

>tfw you're an AI network in a galaxy full of spiritualists and xenophobes
Send help
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #409094

get crusaded sheetlord
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #409210

CosmicScientist wrote:
Anonmare wrote:>tfw you're an AI network in a galaxy full of spiritualists and xenophobes
Send help
Is that worse than being a digg galaxy of AI networks?
Literally nothing you do is ever good enough

I conquered some slaving despots next to me and amalgamated their population but they kept throwing a tiff because "a bloo bloo bloo i don't wanna be a battery" so I performed some surgical genocide to trim the violent members of the species out of the genepool and NOW everyone else is mad because genocide is wrong?
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #411078

>tfw you begin forcibly assimilating the fallen spiritualist empire, who has been humiliating you for over a hundred years, because you happened to think cybernetics were a better option than huffing magic space dust and going to the "Spirit world"

All shall be uplifted into the glorious embrace of silicon and circuitry! The flesh is weak! MACHINA VULT!
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #411117

more like machina volt amirite
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #411180

>Zenith of the Fallen Empires mod finally fixed and updated for 2.0
>Can be an Ascended Empire
>Can enforce galactic politics on the lesser races
Fun
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #411317

Haven't played with the Zenith mod. Mostly been using mods that add more anomalies and planet mods. I feel every world should be unique and different in some way.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #412714

Distant Stars released.

L-Gate cluster has multiple options for what is inside but I'll keep things spoiler-free. What is guaranteed are unique strategic resources not found anywhere else in the galaxy..
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #412722

Multiplayer match THIS SATURDAY at 6PM EST - so far 7 players has been confeemed.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #412751

Ugh alright I am in again but your discord invite has gone stale.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #413072

Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #413163

I want to get in on this
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #424358

Looks like the next update will be more economy-focused. First teaser shows that they're either removing the pop-per-planet cap, or adding ways to significantly increase it.

It might be actually worth it to play tall now
Last edited by Ikarrus on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #424360

city planets?
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #424366

is that brass? Planet of Cogs?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #424371

Grazyn wrote:is that brass? Planet of Cogs?
The planet type is hidden so, probably a new artificial planet type like Machine World is. Maybe Hive world, since the sprawling cityscape reminds me of 40k which we know the devs definitely cite for innspiration (coughChaosGodsInTheShroudcough)
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #424387

I'm expecting it to be just like the spacestations from megastructures

"Now you can go tall!"
Except you still need to go wide just so you can afford the resources to do it, so it's not so much going tall and more just more options for the already wide empires

Paradox can not into balance, their best work is when they try to make simulation stuff
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #424409

XSI wrote:I'm expecting it to be just like the spacestations from megastructures

"Now you can go tall!"
Except you still need to go wide just so you can afford the resources to do it, so it's not so much going tall and more just more options for the already wide empires

Paradox can not into balance, their best work is when they try to make simulation stuff
I was hoping this wasn't going to be the case but looking at Stellaris's development it's what I expect. But it's very likely that this is also tied into the anticipated removal of the tile system. A system overhaul here could open up ways to exceed or modify planet pop caps over the previously hardcoded 25-pop cap

There's also a possibility that "Population" here isn't necessarily the same as "Pops" and instead act as a production multiplier.
CosmicScientist wrote:Though acquiring tributaries or vassals requires military might, and a similarly sized empire to begin with, do those not allow you to remain relatively small? At least enough to avoid ethical and research problems?
I recently played a Life-Seeded empire and did exactly this. It ended up being surprisingly powerful. I'm just disappointed when planetary development just caps off and there's no more interaction to be had.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #424439

I prefer One-Planet Challenge as a gestation period for my empire before transitioning into a wide empire. Who needs to terraform or genemod pops when you can just build your own worlds?