Age of Decadence

Talk about video games here
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Age of Decadence

Post by leibniz » #123273

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

"The Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

The focus of the game is not on killing monsters, but on dealing with fellow humans and factions, trying to survive – easier said than done – and making a name for yourself. Naturally, to accommodate all that scheming, plotting, and backstabbing, we give the player plenty of choices, from multiple solutions to quests to different paths you can take through the game. You (and your actions) will determine who your friends and enemies are. There are no default good and bad guys."

It's been in development for a long time (10 years?..), but looks like it is going to be released in a few weeks.
Spoiler:
  • 23 skills, ranging from Dagger and Critical Strike to Disguise and Persuasion to Alchemy and Lore.
  • Tactical combat system, featuring a flexible set of standard attacks, special attacks such as whirlwind and impale, and aimed attacks at different body parts.
  • 8 weapon types: daggers, swords, axes, hammers, spears, bows, crossbows, throwing weapons, each with individual traits.
  • Multiple quest solutions, branching storylines, mutually exclusive questlines, non-combat and diplomatic options and paths.
  • 22 locations: three towns where all the scheming, plotting, and back-stabbing take place, raiders’ camps, an ancient tomb, a tower of the Magi in a ruined city, the Abyss, which claimed many lives, a mountain pass protecting the southern towns from the barbarians of the wastes, and more.
  • An interesting world with rich history and unclear future that your actions can shape into seven very different game endings.
  • Detailed crafting and alchemy systems: forge your own weapons with different properties, brew different potions, experiment with liquid fire and black powder.
  • 40 different weapons, 15 different armor sets, dozens of other items (alchemical reagents, crafting components, artefacts, scrolls, throwing nets, etc.)
Spoiler:
  • Assassin - When hostilities threaten after even the most erudite diplomats have failed, assassination is often the only recourse. Long respected for their ability to resolve disputes, either by blade in the night or inexplicable misadventure, an assassin's skills are in high demand amongst all strata of society. Blood is blood, whether it's drawn from a petty dispute or a matter of state.
  • Mercenary - In a world rife with conflict, those with martial skills are never idle for long. Occasionally embroiled in the greater machinations of the Noble Houses, most Mercenaries take on personal contracts with individual clients. Their allegiances are open, determined by gold.
  • Praetor - Always looking for promising individuals to serve the House's interests, Praetors have a varied and diverse set of skills. Although most possess some Martial training, patiently waiting for the spoils and glory of bloodshed, others favor the gentler arts of diplomacy, taking a discrete, yet active role in the courts of nobles. As a representative of the House, Praetor's conduct and loyalty is under constant scrutiny.
  • Loremaster - Preserving and understanding pre-war knowledge and technology is a booming business. An increasing number of people see their salvation in the ashes of the past and the market is becoming saturated with icons and objects from the old empire, most without any real value. Loremasters are at the front line of this trade, cataloguing and appraising items, always on the lookout for something of real worth.
  • Thief - Regardless of the social fabric, there will always be those that prefer to live outside the law, by their own code of conduct. To a thief, a world in ruins is a world of opportunity. While those that covet power are consumed in deceit and subterfuge, the Thieves are turning a tidy profit on their neglected wealth.
  • Merchant - Respected and feared, behind every Noble's power, behind every struggle for territory, is a merchant's gold. More than mere traders, Merchants manipulate entire markets and those that depend upon them. People, information and favour all have a price, but only the merchants know their true worth.
  • Grifter - While most thieves prefer to form gangs and act under the cover of darkness, grifters see no reason to trade the laws of society for the laws of a guild. Preying upon the gullible with a combination of personal magnetism and persuasion, the grifter's art is rarely noticed.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
leibniz

Re: Age of Decadence

Post by leibniz » #128471

It's out now.

I guess I like it. It took me a while to warm up to it.
Playing as a fighter now but being a diplomancer and only leveling up civil skills is also an option, you can avoid combat.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #128475

I think it's kinda funny how the description keeps talking about "unlike any RPG you've ever played" while all the reviews say it's "an oldschool RPG"
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #128514

The animations in this game look bad
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #128551

It's not really all it's hyped up to be. The writing is a little overly-edgy at times (Just look at the game over screens) and if your build isn't geared perfectly towards one aspect you're kinda boned. Went for an assassin/persuasion type and could neither sneak around some mercenaries, talk my way through them, and failing both of those, fight some mercenaries. The tutorial makes a point of saying that you can avoid every fight and sometimes running is the best option, but there really isn't an option to run once a fight has started if you want to progress, and since there's no way to get exp without doing quests, you're pretty much forced to start all over. I wanted to like it, because I love me some CRPGs, Fallout 2's probably my favorite RPG ever, but it just wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

The graphics looked kinda ugly on top of that, too, but I could forgive it for that.
Spoiler:
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #131457

I've played it for a while. I think it's fun.
Builds are kinda critical indeed. If you dont focus on a specific thing you really are at the mercy of RNG.
Early game is hard anyway.

I've only seen the traps skill used once.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #140175

dodge is broken op
block is shit fuck dicks

i mean fuck dude a cRITICAL roll on a block will block all the damage, otherwise it'll block some on a normal roll.
a CRITICAL roll on a fucking dodge build will not only dodge the damage but also counter attack, else it'll just dodge.

like you need to put points in constitution if youre going a block build but you can literally play glass cannon on a dodge build and still take far less damage than a block character. i really like the story though and the writing is really good, albeit sometimes edgy as maccus says.

i just love post apocalyptic antiquity shit its so gud.
crack is whack but smacks got your back