Barotrauma: SS13 Underwater

Talk about video games here
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Re: Barotrauma: SS13 Underwater

Post by Takeguru » #205322

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'd like the Nehelania a lot more if there were one-way pumps into the sewer tube thing

I think that'd be a good way to fix it

Maybe make them fuckable so you can make them pump out of the sewer tube instead
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #205342

An0n3 wrote:
??????:

Unused space? Maybe stuff some more batteries and shit down here or just cut this part off the sub entirely. could be a good place to put another airlock so minisubs with the port on top can dock down here. Actually just sawing this section off completely would give the sub a really cool looking profile, like a giant fish.

Lines are just POSSIBLE connections between areas, but not really necessary. For example having the airlock lead directly into the reactor is probably a bad idea, but maybe we want that kind of FUN to be possible? Making a double-hulled indestructable super sub might ruin the game a bit if we can just cheese everything.
You forgot: Security+Brig (Don't want traitors getting easy stunrods from a hallway closet)
Medbay might not need to be big. As of the present time all medbay is is some closets and a dispenser for chems after all
And the airlock. Though you have mentioned that.
Also you're missing maintenance tunnels. Maybe have tunnels/hallways in between each section, just like SS13? Bonus points for traitors being able to flood the hallways and lock everyone in their own job areas. Just like a plasma fire would lock medbay inside, and blocks people from reaching the escape shuttle. Depends on if we want something small and compact, or if we want a big, more luxurious sub I suppose
You should probably add a few smaller closets too. Just for putting junction boxes, minimaps for engineers to check damage and random closets in. Some space to hide if you're the clown and security is after you wouldn't do badly either. Maybe fluff them as just being rooms with a bed?

Edit:
oranges wrote:Nerf pressure and game would be more playable.
Pressure only happens if there's a big breach. A small breach can be fixed without diving suit, but anything big or that has been open for a long time becomes pressurised.
I do agree you need a bit more warning before you just die though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #205357

Your visual cues for pressure building up are the screen zooming in and you get an icon in the health area of four arrows pointing inward. It's an orange icon. It fades in, the more solid it is the worse the pressure is. When it is solid orange you die.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #205362

Yeah, but it can go really fast at a big breach. Luckily, water will push you away from the breach, because physics. So you can usually reach a door if you can get the game to select the button
XSI

Post by XSI » #205376

Double post. Because you know what we need?
A brig cell we can flood without having to open the airlock and potentially sink the sub, or opening the bilges and potentially fucking up the controls.

It would probably actually make us survive better
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #205389

Small breaches you are better leaving the room open so as to not kill anyone trying to quickly patch it. Most holes on the top of the sub will be small short of big daddy.
XSI wrote:Double post. Because you know what we need?
A brig cell we can flood without having to open the airlock and potentially sink the sub, or opening the bilges and potentially fucking up the controls.

It would probably actually make us survive better
Some subs have an execution chamber yes. Can't remember which though.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #205392

Shame you can't put moving parts on the ship. Imagine a sub with an execution chamber that just flings people out into the depths like a torpedo
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #205394

So a single security officer can not fix a sub on their own

I made a right fucking go of it but I couldn't kill the thresher making holes in the sub without power so I went to manually keep the power on to charge the capacitors to shoot the thing to stop making holes but bluh I ran out of diving masks

Also skill gates are dumb and stupid this isn't like my spessmens
XSI

Post by XSI » #205408

They're intended for long term play across multiple missions

Your sec officer can learn how to weld without killing himself, but this never really works in one game alone. And multiplayer persistency isnt around yet

You can technically just keep topping off your health with medical shit, which works if you can be bothered with it. Then you can fix everything as sec officer(Minus engines and consoles)

Honestly, I think you should at least be able to try. But maybe the dev has plans for that
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #205446

Skill caps are good. One person shouldn't be able to do everything. Forcing people to have to work together us what team games are all about.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #205459

But then how am i suposed to murder eryone and steal sub?

On another note i tried the sub builder and holy fuck. i looked up and 5 hours had passed and my sub still didnt work right(every lamp needs a hardline what the fuck why cant i wire them in a string)
)
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #205461

Skill caps are dumb and stupid
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #205471

Naaa, skill caps are good. It helps avoid the problem that Space Station 13 has right now, where everyone is way too self sufficient.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #205477

But that's not a problem
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #205480

The skills are bad, and arbitrary.

Fixing a flooded out fuse box, a task which would literally just be unscrewing components and swapping out bad ones for new ones and maybe replacing a few melted wires if it overloaded requires a skillset that only one class gets by default, but starting up a nuclear reactor, assembling and wiring a button or console, installing a charge to a warhead, loading and operating a sophisticated railgun or even piloting the god damn sub can be done by anyone? Give me a fucking break.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #205489

You want a fucking break then do us both a favor and dont play Barotrauma.

I swear if you mongoloids get vocal and the water they game down to SS13 levels I'll hunt you down holy shit.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #205490

Like holy fuck are you retarded?

Compare the difficulty in driving a car to repairing a car you goddamn moron.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #205495

Compare the difficulty of literally maintaining a nuclear reactor and the difficulty of removing an overloaded circuit breaker and splicing a few wires.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #205498

Davidchan wrote:Compare the difficulty of literally maintaining a nuclear reactor and the difficulty of removing an overloaded circuit breaker and splicing a few wires.
Nah see, what they don't show you is that the companies that make these subs have so little confidence in the crews' ability to operate the nuclear reactor that they designed the controls to be like some kind of Fisher Price toy.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #205499

SQUARE PEG ROUND HOLE
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #205508

a server comand to set all skills to 100 would be nice
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #205519

Wew lads sorry I got really pissed off there but have calmed down.

Barotrauma is designed to be a game where you are all co-dependant for survival and that's one of the things that makes it special. You can't robust a giant sea monster by yourself. You need the Captain pulling evasive maneuvers while someone is on the gun, someone is loading for him, others are running around fixing shit as it breaks, etc.

Being a traitor is a double-edged proposition. You need to kill at least one of these guys to win but you may also need them to survive. That's so different from SS13 where you never need anyone's help to do jackshit unless you're dead/dying.

Barotrauma is not a sandbox like SS13 is. It's a team survival game. If you don't like it because you can't do everything you've failed to grasp that it is not trying to be a game where you can explore at your leisure and solve all your problems on your own.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #205533

Supermichael777 wrote: On another note i tried the sub builder and holy fuck. i looked up and 5 hours had passed and my sub still didnt work right(every lamp needs a hardline what the fuck why cant i wire them in a string)
)
Now try testing it
And finding out that you overloaded a few of the junction boxes so the sub immediately catches fire when you start the thing
(This is why you sometimes find custom subs with disconnected lights. They're either forgotten or the power grid is so close to maximum capacity that wiring in that one light starts fires everywhere. Or all the junction boxes ran out of wiring space)

This is why I volunteered to do wiring if there's a group sub. It's kinda a thing that takes ages and the slightest fuckup means you may need to start over
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #205801

Ok this game is great

Tried to harpoon an eldritch seabeast and got my entire rooms shit kicked in
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #205807

Sticky, as predicted, is the worst captain.
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #205812

Sticky shows up as soon as there might be a tg sub to steal in the works?

Typical sticky.
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #206225

Somehow this game delievers much more intense experience then ss 13 despite having so little features.

That feel, when someone is special and opens door in your shuttle.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #206267

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:Sticky, as predicted, is the worst captain.
Sticky's the worst at everything
> Emergency sub arrives at crashed submarine
> We've almost got it fixed
> Sticky insists that he needs to cut through the window near the ballist to get in
> Tell him to use the fucking airlock
> "No the airlock isn't working!"
> Check the airlock, it's working just fine
> He keeps insisting that he needs to cut through to get in and that he can just weld it once he's in
> GOD DAMN IT THE AIRLOCK IS FUCKING FINE DO NOT FUCKING TRY TO CUT IN
> He cuts in which pretty much kills everyone
> True to his word though he tries to fix the window
> With the plasma cutter
> "Why isn't this working"
> Plasma cutter
> PLASMA
> CUTTER

Later with him as a doctor

> Glitch out on stairs, get stuck, and instantly knocked into crit
> Need him to stabilize me
> Keeps insisting that he doesn't have the chems and he needs to synthesize them
> Everyone yelling at him that he doesn't need to and there should be some in the medical cabinet
> "NO THERE ISN'T I NEED TO SYNTHESIZE IT"
> Die
> "Oh there is some in the cabinet"

Full retard
Last edited by Jacough on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206270

Sticky has never let anyone else's good judgement prevent him from exercising his own stupidity.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #206271

An0n3 wrote:Sticky has never let anyone else's good judgement prevent him from exercising his own stupidity.
From now on whenever he plays we just need to make him head of the ballists. As in roundstart we drown him in the ballists. The only thing he does is sabotage every run we go on.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206274

Git gud or git bant
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #206292

>Sticky shows up in the respawn shuttle
>Instead of going literally 2 rooms south, he cuts in through an engineering window when it was the only un-flooded room on the sub
Sticky pls
Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #206300

Generally the submarine fun starts with Sticky arguing why we need a Security Officer when we don't need one at all. Then he tosses a stun grenade while I'm moving down so I scream at him for stunning the captain who is piloting the ship.
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #206303

Sounds like Sticky needs a jobban.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206321

I should be free to host tomorrow afternoon/evening if people want to play.

I think we're past the point of allowing any kind of "lovably incompetent" bullshit on the sub.
Play the tutorial. It's a much simpler game than SS13.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #206324

barotrauma2.png
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #206327

An0n3 wrote: I think we're past the point of allowing any kind of "lovably incompetent" bullshit on the sub.
Damn, I was gonna finally try the game but I guess I'm too late.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206334

There's a difference between "Oh shit I fucked up sorry I didn't know what I was doing" and

"HEEEEYYYYYYY GUYSSSSSS IM DOING IT AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

The first is forgivable but eventually everyone gets fucking sick of you.
The second is unforgivable and just griff that you're trying to pass off as "cute". The game is difficult enough on its own without people purposely fucking it up. I know it's hard to imagine playing something properly balanced after years of Stockhold Syndrome 13 but it's possible.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #206344

An0n3 wrote:There's a difference between "Oh shit I fucked up sorry I didn't know what I was doing" and

"HEEEEYYYYYYY GUYSSSSSS IM DOING IT AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

The first is forgivable but eventually everyone gets fucking sick of you.
The second is unforgivable and just griff that you're trying to pass off as "cute". The game is difficult enough on its own without people purposely fucking it up. I know it's hard to imagine playing something properly balanced after years of Stockhold Syndrome 13 but it's possible.
*Cough*Sticky*cough**cough*shouldn'thavegivenhimthediscordlink*cough*
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #206358

I don't think these people can properly process that limitation is an important part of game design An0n3

It's a lost cause.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206474

In games the things you can't do are just as important as the things you can.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #206478

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #206480

oranges wrote:I don't think these people can properly process that limitation is an important part of game design An0n3

It's a lost cause.
Are you saying we should buff science?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206481

Buff it like a piece of dirt on a hardwood floor, maybe.

Rub that shit out of existence, like a nihilist masturbating.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #206491

I'm more proud of the execution by railgun than anything I've done that's good in this game.
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206494

The real MVP is fucking Xerux for making this badass /tg/ sub. Pretty fucking cool.

Watching THE ENTIRE CREW fall down that fucking hole into the ballast and getting trapped one after another was the most hilarious thing I've seen in game so far.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #206511

I like this sub

The ballast hatch is a good place to store corpses too. Maybe a closet nearby to store their equipment so respawning people can have it?

Also clown gear 404
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206513

Honestly already the best sub in the whole fucking game. That fucking hatch to the ballast is so good.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI

Post by XSI » #206516

It's the best sub for multiple reasons:

1 Hatch, definitely
2 Reactor in the middle (So you actually have a chance at getting the sub running again)
3 Possible, but only very limited to shoot the sub's rooms with railguns(Only the brig and medical)
4 Enough supplies to make you not feel like you have nothing and you have to fight eachother over the basics, not enough supplies for it to be plentiful and not a concern when shit hits the fan
5 Good pumps/drainage. Closing doors actually works on this sub where it doesn't on many others. At the same time it's not too easy
6 Enough calm and quiet places for tator activity, not enough that you can do whatever you want without risking being seen. It's a challenge, but not impossible
7 Good sightlines for shooting railguns at hostiles. Seriously, why are the regular subs so bad at this? Also the blindspot of the engine is actually good and makes sense to have

Edit: And the wiring looks very clean and shiny. I like that
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #206533

It's good until one cackling fox runs around with a screwdriver undoing everything and you have to gently caress them with a wrench.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #206572

3 Possible, but only very limited to shoot the sub's rooms with railguns(Only the brig and medical)
I'm really going to have to do something with that if I roll traitor mechanic